RimWorld (New DF-like)

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: RimWorld (New DF-like)

Post by GreenGoo »

CAN$33? That seems pricey. It would have to be something really special to get me to let go of that much money for a game.

Is it?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Personally, I love it. Of all the dwarf fortress-like games I've played it's my favorite and the one I keep coming back to.

It's well designed and implemented, the developer is responsive, it's easily moddable, and it's got a fun, sci-fi theme among other virtues.

For anyone that likes DF style games I think it's a safe bet, but there are also a lot of videos on youtube that might give more of a feel for it.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Seconded, love this game. Very well done, fun game. Supposedly the late game lags a bit, but there is tons to do in the early and mid game. Plus it's one of those games where you can make it as difficult as you want to. For instance Quill18 (streamer) is doing a Fallout world. Started with one colonist, in a desert radiated world. It did prove to be a little too difficult for him so he started over with a bit easier setting, but it shows what you can do. I like to do the traditional crash site with 3 survivors in a boreal forest so I have to deal with making it through the winter.

Don't the alpha tag fool you either, it doesn't feel like a game in early access.
For motivation and so Jeff V can make me look bad:
2010 Totals: Biking: 65 miles Running: 393 miles
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Good gosh, I forgot I owned this game! I bought it about 16 months ago, played it a bit, then decided to let it get more developed. I've been following the thread but wasn't sure I was going to buy it once it got on Steam. Then I saw the post by Sepiche, gave it a go and got an email to get my Steam key... so I'm going to delve into this once I burn myself out on Project CARS which I just bought.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Purchased in 2014.

Excellent game and gets better with each update. $29 is pricey, but I paid that two years ago and have gotten and continue to get my money's worth.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I have no idea how many hours I've played it, but it's well worth the price. It's fun, frustrating (from an event perspective; not interface), interesting, and funny all at the same time. I'm sure at some point it would go on sale, but I have no problem paying whatever I did.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

This game is a blast. /raises a 40 for his frozen colonists
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Note that because of fraud, you can no longer get a Steam key if you buy direct from ludeon. If you want a Steam key, buy from Steam. If you want DRM free, buy from ludeon. Both versions will be updated.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Important news from the developer... Alpha14b unlocks the missing half of the game events
With the flurry of support and fraud combat tasks abating, I took a little while to watch Zeebos’ stream. A discussion was had and it quickly became apparent that a lot of the events in the game weren’t really firing – ever. No heat waves, no crazy animals, no crashed ship parts.

Doing some local testing, I realized how bad it was. Most of the events in the game would never fire.

Holy crap!

I’ve fixed the issue and uploaded a patch. Your save games will be compatible. This will change balance somewhat - I'll be watching to see if it needs adjusting.

Look at it this way – it’s like releasing a juicy content patch three days after release!

Patch notes:

Fix: Events never fire (except in some exceptional circumstances):
Infestation
Manhunter pack
Psychic ship part crash
Poison ship part crash
Animal insanity (single)
Eclipse
Solar flare
Psychic drone
Toxic fallout
Volcanic winter
Heatwave
Cold snap
Flashstorm
Short circuit
Crop blight
Alphabeavers
Psychic soothe
Refugee chased
Thrumbo passes
Fix: Storyteller incorrectly adjusts trader frequency in relation to ally count.
Fix: Threat cycle event maker sometimes queues events without enough points to actually fire them.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Did you guys buy it from the developer or through steam?
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Well, if you want to use it through Steam, you'll need to buy it from them, as Ludeon has ceased offering a key with purchase from their site, at least for now.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yeah, that's where the question originates.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I haven't been paying attention to this but it caught my eye. Wishlisted.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

It's the same price either place, just depends on if you want DRM free or not. Doubt it'll be on sale anytime soon, the developer was pretty adamant that it wasn't going on sale for its Steam debut.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

GreenGoo wrote:Did you guys buy it from the developer or through steam?
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I bought mine through the developer hoping for a Steam key, which I got, but because of bogus keys apparently sold through the grey market, he won't do that anymore. Either one or the other.
Black Lives Matter
Lee

Post by Lee »

Lorini wrote:I bought mine through the developer hoping for a Steam key, which I got, but because of bogus keys apparently sold through the grey market, he won't do that anymore. Either one or the other.
Same. Steam key is important to me, if I was going to buy it today, would buy through Steam.
2009 Finals: Biking: 93 miles Running: 158 miles (I know it sucked, but I had a hernia most of the year)
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Same as Lorini, but it's really not a major issue either way, in my case.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

GreenGoo wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:Did you guys buy it from the developer or through steam?
Talking to yourself again?

I detest the SendOwl system he uses to update the game (it has file download limits) and, also, updates tend to come in the form of an entirely new install. So I would absolutely use Steam if given the choice. Like the others, however, I bought from his site and got access to a Steam key the day of Steam release (but you cannot get this now).
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Excellent AMA with the lead developer

Ranges from design philosophy, to Rimworld backstory, to future plans.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Man, if you want a challenge, use tribals to start with. Turns out the early game is much tougher when you don't have electricity, A/C, heaters, guns, etc. :P

In my first tribal game I'm a few days in, but things are already starting to look grim. The main problem was I had a blight wreck my crops right before a lot of them would have been ready to harvest which meant I didn't have the plants I needed to make pemmican. Before I noticed though and tasked someone to make some simple meals, some of my people ate raw meat which gave them gutworms. Those take 5 doses of medicine to eradicate, and until they are gone will double that persons food intake. That's going to use up the rest of my medicine I have on hand, and my new crop of medicine is still far away thanks to the blight. I should still be able to manage thanks to plentiful wildlife to hunt, but it's going to be close.

The other issue is my married tribal leader just started an affair with one of the new additions to the tribe, so now people are starting to get into fights over it, and since I already have lots of negative mood penalties due to the heat and other factors, I'm starting to regularly get people who freak out. That's really the difficulty of the tribal start... there are just a bunch of negative moods you can't really do anything to counter until you get electricity and some of the basic survival stuff spacers start out with, and because they're neolithic, it takes even longer to research that stuff.

The one upside is I've at least beat a couple of pirate raids, and that gave me a decent shotgun, some molotovs, and some frag grenades, so at least I'm not reliant on only short bows now. :horse:
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

I burned my village to the ground after killing a boomalope.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

Sepiche wrote:Man, if you want a challenge, use tribals to start with. Turns out the early game is much tougher when you don't have electricity, A/C, heaters, guns, etc. :P

In my first tribal game I'm a few days in, but things are already starting to look grim. The main problem was I had a blight wreck my crops right before a lot of them would have been ready to harvest which meant I didn't have the plants I needed to make pemmican. Before I noticed though and tasked someone to make some simple meals, some of my people ate raw meat which gave them gutworms. Those take 5 doses of medicine to eradicate, and until they are gone will double that persons food intake. That's going to use up the rest of my medicine I have on hand, and my new crop of medicine is still far away thanks to the blight. I should still be able to manage thanks to plentiful wildlife to hunt, but it's going to be close.

The other issue is my married tribal leader just started an affair with one of the new additions to the tribe, so now people are starting to get into fights over it, and since I already have lots of negative mood penalties due to the heat and other factors, I'm starting to regularly get people who freak out. That's really the difficulty of the tribal start... there are just a bunch of negative moods you can't really do anything to counter until you get electricity and some of the basic survival stuff spacers start out with, and because they're neolithic, it takes even longer to research that stuff.

The one upside is I've at least beat a couple of pirate raids, and that gave me a decent shotgun, some molotovs, and some frag grenades, so at least I'm not reliant on only short bows now. :horse:
Don't forget to start a campfire. They will cook the meat and avoid the gutworms.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Cortilian wrote:Don't forget to start a campfire. They will cook the meat and avoid the gutworms.
Hmm, I'll have to look for that... I don't think I noticed the addition of a campfire. I had a kitchen setup, but I just didn't notice my cooked food supplies were running low until I started seeing people eat raw meat.

So if I have a campfire setup will just anyone go over and cook their food before eating, or still has to be done by a cook beforehand?
dbemont

Post by dbemont »

Grabbed it yesterday. First time out, I felt lost. But then I read a guide "I Survived the Crash, Now What?" by grimm77, and can do stuff enough so that I am getting into the game. I'm not familiar with the genre, so it's a learning curve, no doubt.
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

dbemont wrote:Grabbed it yesterday. First time out, I felt lost. But then I read a guide "I Survived the Crash, Now What?" by grimm77, and can do stuff enough so that I am getting into the game. I'm not familiar with the genre, so it's a learning curve, no doubt.
Thanks for mentioning that guide, I hadn't seen it before. For those who want to look at it, here's the link.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

My daughter has been playing it all weekend. I let her learn it and then teach me lol. Such a cool game.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm trying to make pants. I have a hand-tailoring bench, people assigned to crafting and various leathers in the stockpile; alpachahide, cassoway hide, cobra hide. However, no one is making the pants. And I do have a bill set up on the tailoring bench to make the pants. What else am I missing?

UPDATE: Nevermind, I just didn't have enough raw materials.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Over the weekend I bought the game from the developer, mostly to support the developer and give them more money. The DRM-free copy is a nice bonus.

I'm still very much on the learning curve, but getting somewhere - I think.

My first colony was a crash group, Rough and Balanced Storyteller, and a group of complete misfits. They survived a few days before I accidentally brought the roof of my house down on them during a reconstruction. With just one injured survivor left standing in a catatonic daze, I figured I should start over.

My second colony started with a group of hand-picked crash survivors. They didn't collapse their own home onto their heads, but ended with mass psychosis brought on by starvation and filth. One colonist was observed devouring a dead raider, raw and uncooked. My best fighter, a psychotic sharpshooter, went berserk an crippled two other people before he stopped - then we were raided and it didn't end well.

My third colony of hand-picked lunatics started in a tropical wonderland. They prioritized farming early on, growing a large field of potatoes. They all got small and simple bedrooms - which seemed to annoy them more than sleeping in a dorm. They made it several days before they started cracking due to heat stress and sheer boredom. Brawls erupted, potatoes were eaten raw, and a raider with grenades simplified our end as half my group was eliminated in one shot.

My fourth colony started in the tropics again, and again more potatoes (I don't see a way to plant other crops). I built a solar array quickly, and installed AC units in the base to help stave off heatstroke and insanity. I tamed a few Cassowaries and set up a secure pen to keep them behind my home. As they fought off raiders, their equipment slowly got better. Random colonists joined by way of fleeing from other groups in the area - mostly tribes and pirates. This colony is still alive, but I wouldn't say they're doing well. There are some anger issues, blooming hatreds, rebuffed love attempts, and an ancient evil lurking in a nearby steel room I've yet to unseal. My animal tamer discovered that animals can get pretty pissy if you fail to tame them and I've decided to be more cautious about it. We've had two caravans, neither of which is interested in the piles of shoddy clothing and weapons I've acquired from raiders. One caravan supplied me with two cats (male and female) which I hope will keep rodent populations down, as well as a trio of chickens (male, and 2 female) for more eggs. I've lost just one person to a nasty plague I couldn't cure, but many others have been injured and consumed a lot of my medical supplies to keep healed.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

What do you mean by hand picked? Can you choose your people? I thought you were subject to the randomizer. Great story!
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Lorini wrote:What do you mean by hand picked? Can you choose your people? I thought you were subject to the randomizer. Great story!
I am subject to the randomizer, but I keep clicking "Randomize" until I get a favorable set of stats for the colonist.

My first is a sharpshooter. I roll and re-roll until I get a "burning passion" for shooting with a skill of 8 or more. I try and avoid painfully problematic traits that might make them prone to lashing out. I try and limit the work they refuse to do (an angry sloth that refuses to do anything except shooting is useless anytime combat ends). Other stats are gravy.

My second person is a farmer & tamer, because food. Where I'm looking for two stats, I would settle for them being passionate about both, but they don't have to be "Burning". A green thumb is good, too, but not essential, since the farmer gets happy boosts periodically when planting. Again, I roll and re-roll until I get a good set of stats without massive downfalls. I find taming useful to get free eggs and to store "live" meat that I can harvest later. I haven't tried taming for combat yet.

My third colonist is arts & crafts. This gives me someone who can create non-crap furnishings, which I imagine to have a effect on people's sanity.

Somewhere in there, I also try and get a Social leader and a Cook. It doesn't matter who. If I don't have it by the end, I'll re-roll my weakest to try and get that. Cooking is good if only to make food that doesn't piss people off and doesn't poison them... and I use my Social person to trade and they'll eventually lead something, I think. I'm just guessing.

Mining, hauling, cutting, hunting, research, etc ... not too worried as long as I can still do them in some way.

For all that re-rolling, though, they still turn on each other if things don't go well.
Black Lives Matter

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

My fourth colony met with disaster.

Living in a jungle poses some threats - disease seems more prevalent, as does the persistent treat of heatstroke and heat-induced anger. My lovely, protected, solar array fell victim to, well, me. We have a raging storm, and a battery blew. That battery was neatly placed between two solar panels. It destroyed one and crippled another before the fire died down. Before the night was over, a second battery exploded, ripping apart another solar panel. Repair should have been possible, but I had spent an inordinate amount of Components on setting up AC units for each colonist's room. So I'm without power now... and then ... Heat Wave. My farmer collapses with heatstroke and is stuffed into the oven he calls a bedroom. My Sniper goes berserk with heat madness and beats the crap out of my Medic and a Crafter before the brawler subdues her. Medical supplies are limited to herbal remedies, which seem barely effective. Blood and filth everywhere, moods are on edge, half my people are badly wounded - a perfect time for a Raid. It was a valiant fight, with lots of falling back and cove usage, but one I just couldn't win.

So my fifth colony ... I've selected 3 candidates that are all "Generally Good Kids" - all of them 25 or younger, all with no drawbacks, all willing to work at any task I assign them. Two are Optimistic. It took forever to roll this group up. There's no really strong skills or burning passions in the team, but neither are they helpless whelps. Good & fair shooters (9, 7), a good medic (9) a fair grower (7), a fair tamer (6), no real cooking skills (highest is 3), no real artistic or research talent. I did decline to include the Beautiful, Optimistic, Nudist 17 year old girl in my group - but mostly because she had no appreciable skill set and would have just been eye candy. I'm curious to see how this pans out.

Lessons learned so far:

1. Map placement is critical; "year-round" growing seasons are nice (but warm).
2. Farm early for earlier harvesting.
3. Solar Panels early, Batteries in secure, covered locations with space between them and away from everything else.
4. AC and Vents to keep interiors cool.
5. Refrigeration for the store room is an AC unit set to 34ºF.
6. Sandbags up sometime between the second and third raid.
7. Even a bloodthirsty squirrel can be dangerous if you don't put it down quickly.
8. Colonists only clean their Home Area when there is absolutely nothing else to do. I need a maid!
9. Crap clothes and gear set to rot in open fields after stripping raiders for anything useful.
Black Lives Matter

Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Pain, you might already know, but if you wanted you can go into the 'assign' tab and change the priority of work tasks. Cleaning and hauling are usually a 4 and at the bottom, kick them up to a 2 or 3 and that work will be done more often.
Lee

Post by Lee »

Paingod wrote: 1. Map placement is critical; "year-round" growing seasons are nice (but warm).
Winter is so much more fun! It means you have to get your food situation going immediately, but you don't have to deal with heat problem. Your freezer provides heat (even better is a geothermal for power and heat), and you will get parkas from enemy raids. Cold is never really a problem.

Map is critical though, because I always want mountains so I have tons of steel.
2. Farm early for earlier harvesting.
First thing I do every game is get the crops down.
I go with 30 degrees. Frozen food lasts forever. Medicine and dead animals can also be frozen. Everything else goes into an inside store room.
8. Colonists only clean their Home Area when there is absolutely nothing else to do. I need a maid!
My non-crafters are set high priority on haul/cleaning.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Citizen wrote:Pain, you might already know, but if you wanted you can go into the 'assign' tab and change the priority of work tasks. Cleaning and hauling are usually a 4 and at the bottom, kick them up to a 2 or 3 and that work will be done more often.
I actually hadn't discovered that. I was considering taking all tasks off of someone and just making them a maid, but it'd probably be better to have everyone clean. Dirt, blood, vomit, rubble ... makes a big mess and really annoys people.
Lee wrote:
Paingod wrote:
I go with 30 degrees. Frozen food lasts forever. Medicine and dead animals can also be frozen. Everything else goes into an inside store room.
I didn't even think of that.

I don't suppose there's a "Z" Axis I haven't found yet, is there? That's the only thing missing.
Black Lives Matter

Lee

Post by Lee »

Paingod wrote:I don't suppose there's a "Z" Axis I haven't found yet, is there? That's the only thing missing.
Nope, the developer at some point said that adding it would be too difficult with the current engine, or something along those lines.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm still not sure about the best way to use sandbags. Any suggestions?
Butterknife

Post by Butterknife »

jztemple2 wrote:I'm still not sure about the best way to use sandbags. Any suggestions?
I don't care for sandbags. I always put some up so the game stops pestering me about them, but I've had 3 guys standing behind sandbags get shot while a raider stood behind a tree to take me out. Now I look for trees or wall corners where I can stand behind. I've also stopped bunching my defenders up in once spot -- they do better if I can catch enemies in a crossfire and of course there are more advanced weapons that can kill more than one person if they are too close.

My suggestion for all of you is build roofs. Build a roof over your batteries (or any electronics really) to keep it safe from the rain. Build a roof over your stockpile to keep things from spoiling. Etc. You can go into the "Areas" tab and click "Expand Roof", then you can build roofs all over the place. They help out with pretty much everything. Don't be silly and build them over your solar panels, though (don't ask me how I know that ...)

My last game was probably the most comical loss I have had so far (even better than one of my characters lighting my whole town on fire). Had a "bad" character who would only fight -- she was getting on my nerves because she wouldn't help out with anything, but I seriously needed her because nobody else was any good with a gun. I was using a mod to help manage things and forgot to disallow hunting big game -- she went after a particularly large animal and got herself killed. I wasn't too upset about it at first -- I had a new person to replace her who was a pretty good shot. While he was traveling out to pick up her rifle, her pet cat went mad with anguish over her death and murdered my other two characters.

Anyway, my Amazonian tribeswomen seem to be doing pretty well. So far. I've cranked the difficulty down so much that I'm a bit embarrassed, but hopefully I can at least learn how a good game is supposed to go!
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

I've just started my third colony. The first didn't make it through the first summer. The second made it to the 6th of winter before a pack of wild boars did us in.

I'm trying my third colony in the mountains to set up better defensive choke points. Raiders in the first two games were constant problems.

Super fun game.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

jztemple2 wrote:I'm still not sure about the best way to use sandbags. Any suggestions?
They aren't perfect, but they do give anyone behind them a cover bonus.

My usual defenses are usually alternating walls and sandbags like this:
|s|s|s|s|

|= wall
s = sandbag

That gives some hard cover for them to duck behind, plus the sandbag cover bonus even when they're poking out to shoot.