BattleBorn FPS from the makers of Borderland 1 & 2

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: BattleBorn FPS from the makers of Borderland 1 & 2

Post by GreenGoo »

Anyone playing this or did blizzard kill it's audience with overwatch?

Played the prologue and starting to read up on it and I must say I'm excited(unless it's dead already).

Seems like it has a few layers of depth and meta to help keep the actual gameplay interesting.

Fret, did you look at this? I know you're addicted to dota2 so I thought this might have caught your eye.
morlac

Post by morlac »

I got it last week in the Humble Bundle with a bunch of other goodies for $15. I will try it out later tonight. A buddy of mine also got it so I expect to be playing quite a bit.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I played the first mission just after the prologue and it took me 87 mins of nearly constant combat. It was tiring. I was down to zero lives at least twice but I managed to finish it. I can definitely see how it's better with a team.

I'll be entering PvP in the near future. I expect it to be painful.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Ok played a couple hours and so far so good. Finished tutorial, one solo and one multi mission. Created a random online game and it was asshat free. That was refreshing and unexpected. One guy was even creating custom map points where the action was to help us newbies out. Have a buddy coming over tomorrow night to help me break in my new man cave with some LAN /couch gaming. We will playing coop if anyone is interested.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

morlac wrote:Ok played a couple hours and so far so good. Finished tutorial, one solo and one multi mission. Created a random online game and it was asshat free. That was refreshing and unexpected. One guy was even creating custom map points where the action was to help us newbies out. Have a buddy coming over tomorrow night to help me break in my new man cave with some LAN /couch gaming. We will playing coop if anyone is interested.
Definitely. I'm on EST. I'll log into Steam's friends app and you can message me whenever.

I've played quite a bit solo with bots now. The bots aren't great (although certainly playable) so as I get better they seem to get weaker and weaker. That said, it's not like I'm dominating and with teammates and minions, it ends up being a pretty balanced fight.

Anyway, I'm definitely looking for some relaxed (i.e. not super competitive) play, so give me a shout.

I've played 1 normal co-op story mission online. Only got 2 people to join, but it was a cakewalk. Gear comes from story missions, although I've been assuming pvp games has loot as well. Good gear probably makes a big difference, but my gear isn't great, so the bonuses are very incremental.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Had a fun multiplayer story mode game going on today but then I got stuck and couldn't get move. That was a shame and the first time I've seen that.
morlac

Post by morlac »

GG, we only ended up playing one game of Battleborn. ARK was a free weekend so I DLoaded that and we ended up playing that all weekend.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Did this game change your life? I need to know now so I can decide how much to pay for this bundle.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I've reached command rank 32-33, playing solo matches against 'bots almost exclusively. I've unlocked all but about 5 characters. Maybe 7 if we include the 2 purchasable ones, and reached rank 3-5 with all of them.

The characters are different enough that I enjoy playing them all, although in 'bot games some are obviously better than others. Montana is a monster in both bot and human games, pretty clearly. Some characters are designed for certain strategies/counter-strategies in multiplay. Situations that never come up with bots but are much more common when humans are trying to achieve specific goals.

Because of the ai algorithms, it's very rare to even damage the second sentinel in Incursion, let alone destroy it, so all Incursion games go the full 30 minutes, every time. As an example of how rare it is, I just had my first game where the second sentinel died. I have no idea how many matches in total I've played, but that's got to be around 1 in 50 or so. Incursion is my favourite play mode.

I should probably try some pickup games with other people, outside of storymode.

It's a good game, the characters are fun and each has well thought out skills. Some characters are more powerful than others, as I said, but overall they are all fun. This being a FPS MOBA, some characters are designed with a specific purpose in mind, support, pushing, healing, tanking, CC etc.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kotaku is reporting this will be Free to Play in November; not confirmed.
One of the inspirations for this decision, the source said, is the success of 2K’s Evolve, which went free-to-play on PC in July and skyrocketed to the top of Steam’s charts. After going free, Evolve saw its concurrent player count jump from the hundreds to over 25,000.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I assume they are making money with the free to play model.

It's a shame Battleborn didn't take off. It's a pretty solid game. I'm still playing 1 or 2 solo/bot matches every night.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blues reporting this morning that Randy Pitchford vehemently denies that BattleBorn will be going free to play. Instead:
We have some unannounced plans to do a trial version of the game that would be free and from which retail can be purchased along with DLC.
So they go the free-trial version of the game and after that doesn't work, they go free to play before Q2 2017. Total speculation on my part, but we've seen this dance before. I guess you need to make an effort to keep the corporate minions happy.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I think that's a reasonably guess. I haven't played much multiplayer, but getting a game of coop is much faster than getting a game of vs. I don't know what the community is like, but I definitely get the feeling there is practically no one playing. So much so that I gave up trying to get a versus game going. When matchmaking has being on for over a minute and only 1 guy has joined your team, that's not great. Obviously these sorts of games have a critical mass and if you can't get and keep your community over it, it's going to die no matter what you do.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

GreenGoo wrote:I think that's a reasonably guess. I haven't played much multiplayer, but getting a game of coop is much faster than getting a game of vs. I don't know what the community is like, but I definitely get the feeling there is practically no one playing. So much so that I gave up trying to get a versus game going. When matchmaking has being on for over a minute and only 1 guy has joined your team, that's not great. Obviously these sorts of games have a critical mass and if you can't get and keep your community over it, it's going to die no matter what you do.
Think they released too close to Overwatch...everyone decided to wait for the Blizzard game. Shame as I really like Battleborn.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, that was my impression too - they were absolutely crushed by Blizzard and Overwatch. I wasn't following the development of either very closely so I don't know if it was really bad luck or they figured they could complete and pushed forward with a release date that would have them out around the same time, but it seems like maybe it didn't work.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Smoove_B wrote:Yeah, that was my impression too - they were absolutely crushed by Blizzard and Overwatch. I wasn't following the development of either very closely so I don't know if it was really bad luck or they figured they could complete and pushed forward with a release date that would have them out around the same time, but it seems like maybe it didn't work.
I want to say it came out 2 - 4 weeks before Overwatch, and while they're not exactly the same game, they're similar enough that people waited for the Blizzard game.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Marvel and Blizzard.

Two companies you don't time your releases to compete against.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hit level 100, playing almost nothing but random characters on Incursion maps with bots.

That's a lot of games.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

New patch. Pretty big. Not sure about all the changes but there appears to be a couple of new game modes added.

edit: new overshield minion has been added. New voice quips for the ai players have been added.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Got a chance to play some other characters since the patch. Seems like everyone got new quips. Might not be that big a deal for those who play multiplayer, but for me playing hundreds(?) of bot matches, changing what the bots say is a godsend. And a lot of them are quite funny too.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I'm starting to notice some skills have been rebalanced.

And minions have been boosted significantly, and I'm not sure, but the bosses seems much weaker than before.

I was also just killed as El Dragon by a small group of minions. That's...impossible. Or was, before the patch.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yeah...I hadn't played in awhile but where before I almost never destroyed both sentries on an incursion map I seem to be doing it all the time now...even when playing as a healer
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Yes absolutely. I may have destroyed both sentinels 5 times in a hundred matches before, and often just in the last minute of a 30 minute match. Tonight both sentinels fell during the twelfth minute, and I wasn't even there when it happened.

Of course this can work both ways. I've lost my first sentinel during the very first push, which is completely unheard of before.

I still win 99% of my games, but things are dicier than before, so I guess that's good.

Oh, I only play incursion these days.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Picked this up during the winter sale.

I like shooters that you can upgrade your equipment, but still not sure of if like this one. I played a bit of co-op, and then a number of solo play of raids, and solo play against bots.

There are so many choices to play, and some of them, I just have no idea what to do with their powers, I try it, and then don't have the will to try and learn it further. If that makes sense.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I actually forgot there were coop missions and was wondering what you were talking about.

It's not so much a shooter as a moba-lite shooter.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

What GreenGoo said.

If you're feeling overwhelmed by all the choices just pick one character and stick with it until you get a feel for everything. Montana is pretty much easy mode and Oscar Mike (who cracks me up) is a "typical" FPS character.
KDH

Post by KDH »

Battleborn Content Updates Ending

A message from Randy Varnell on the official Gearbox Software forums has word that the upcoming fall update for Battleborn will conclude active development for the multiplayer shooter.

He assures everyone the game is here to stay, and the servers will remain operational, but says that there is no new content planned after the fall update, and there will be no new battleplans after this week. Here's the full explanation:

Hello Friends -

It’s been a while since I’ve communicated with you directly, so I wanted to take the opportunity to write to you as Battleborn rounds another milestone in its life.

As of this week, there will be no more Battleplans and there is currently no planned content after the Fall Update. Details of any future changes or news will be made on our forums or through social media, so keep your radars on.

Never fear! Battleborn is here to stay. Nothing is changing with Battleborn, and the servers will be up and active for the foreseeable future. We announced the Fall Update for the game at PAX including some new skins, themed around some of your favorite Borderlands characters! That update will also include some updated title art (more full bar titles!) for the more significant challenges in the game, as well as some additional Finisher Boosts and Taunts. Also, there are minor balance changes in that patch.

If you’ve been paying attention to recent news from the Gearbox Panel at PAX West, you’ll have heard that many folks at Gearbox are working on a highly anticipated project. Although I’m sad my time on Battleborn is coming to a close, I’m happy to announce that I will play a significant role on this highly anticipated but unannounced game, and I’m sure you’ll be hearing some from me again in the future regarding Gearbox games.

I’ve been working on Battleborn nearly exclusively since 2012, and in some ways, that work stretches back to 2009 for me. It’s been a long labor of love with many of my good friends at Gearbox, and I’m proud to have shared that journey with you, our community. Your spirit and loyalty have been a constant inspiration to the team at Gearbox.

Also, I want to personally thank you for giving Battleborn a chance, and dipping down into a new universe with us. We make games for you. And many of you have shared with us how much Battleborn has meant to you personally.

It’s always a bittersweet time when transitioning from one project to another, but also offers the opportunity to step back and enjoy the game we created. Keep an eye out for me in game!

For now, Commander Jythri is signing off and taking the first transport back to a wonderful box of surprises.

You are awesome.

For Solus.
As thanks to everyone who tuned in to the Battleplan over the last year, we've got a SHiFT code for Deande's "Intelligence" skin.

ZKK33-FT59R-KCK3S-XCR33-B56HB
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image

Go to the SHiFT menu under “Extras” and redeem the code before October 2nd. If you have any issues redeeming the code, don’t worry – our Support team will be happy to assist you via http://support.gearboxsoftware.com2

((The above Support link isn't working for me))
Ain't nobody got time for that
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Was a great game that couldn't have timed it's release worse if it was planned.

I haven't played it in quite awhile, but I sure got my money's worth, and that was all solo with bots. I won't mourn its passing, especially when they are working on something unannounced. Given their track record, I'm pretty excited to find out what it is.

Better luck on the commercial success side of things guys, whatever the sales numbers, you made a great game.
KDH

Post by KDH »

... Just a heads-up for those interested
... Gearbox Software Announces:
... 4th Battleborn Day Community Event Starts Friday, May 4th ...This "day" is actually a four-day weekend, as the festivities will continue until Monday in the first-person MOBA. Here's the news:
Battleborn Day 4 is coming! The community run event kicks off on May 4th, and we’re bringing a little something extra to the table!

The fun begins Friday at 2pm PT/5pm ET and runs until Monday, May 7th at 8am PT/11am ET! Read on to find out what we’ve got planned!

Lootpocalypse
* Boss Drop Rate Adjustment: 50% (Normal) 75% (Advanced)
* Champion and Elite enemy drop rate adjustment
* Champions drop all gear rarities and Elites drop more uncommons
* All enemies and bosses drop more higher rarity Gear

Increased chance of getting Gear with Flair from Faction, Core, Magnus, and Legendary loot packs.

Legendary Loot Packs available for purchase

Login Rewards
* 1 Fireworks Finisher
* 1 Loot Boost
* 1 Double XP Boost
* 1 Magnus Loot Pack

Login reward skins:
* Ambra – The Will to Power (Gold)
* Miko – Our Brightest Colors (Gold)
* Deande – Intelligence (Gold)
* Benedict – Quoth the Raven (Cyber)
* Kid Ultra – Heximus Rex (Cyber)
* Kleese – Maddest Scientist (Cyber)

Skins and Taunts sale – 25% Off

All characters on Free Rotation
Thanks to community members MentalMars, NatsumeRyu, Beya, Lowlines, JoesOs, and to everyone who helped organize this Battleborn Day! We hope everyone has fun fighting for Solus!

May The 4th be with you
Ain't nobody got time for that