[Kickstarter] Shadows of Brimstone

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: [Kickstarter] Shadows of Brimstone

Post by hepcat »

I just added on the Col. Scafford fig so that my Scafford gang would be complete. I'm getting it with my big box pickup at Gencon. 10 bucks for the damn thing, so it better include everything I need.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Wow, looks like with the Gencon pickup, those of us at the Outlaw level have everything now (with the possible exception of a 15 card pack or two).

I started assembling the new minis last night and I have to say, they are a big improvement over the first batch. Both in detail and in ease of assembly.

The new frontier town expansion takes the level up portion of the game that happens in between adventures and makes it into a full game in its own right.

The addition of ranged enemies makes combat much more interesting, as well as dangerous. And not only with guns, but with spells too.

I wish I'd dropped some more cash on the new classes. Especially the Jargo native and the frontier doctor. But I'll be able to order them later, I'm sure. I also want the Darkstone Shaman when he comes out. And finally, the Tredarra expansion adds cover mechanics to ranged combat, so I definitely want that. But I'm going to wait for online retail pricing. They've bumped the price of that one up to 80 bucks, it appears.

So yeah, the end of the tunnel is in sight for folks. I think they're offering a wave 1.5 shipment option still, so those of you at the Outlaw level may want to see if that includes everything that was in the Gencon box. If it does, you can get the rest of your rewards now instead of waiting until early next year. Sure, they'll charge you 50 bucks, but trust me, you're still getting enough content to justify that extra cost...at least twice over, to be honest.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Any way I can persuade you to take a photo of the Outlaw level stuff that you picked up? Extra points if you can work a reflection of you in a speedo appearing on the side of a toaster or similarly reflective item.

I'm happy to hear the miniature assembly is better, though in fairness I don't think it could have been much worse. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

WHAT?!? $80 for an expansion? I've seen the core sets going for around $65. I realize that's their "list" price; and that the expansion will be sold at retail for less than it cost to purchase it through the KS. I'll wait too.

Wonder if they are going to update the minis in the base sets. Of course, too late for those of us that already have them.

By the way, to anyone that has TTS, I've combined in most of the newer stuff that people have uploaded as mods (including the ranged stuff) to my "default" save game. I also merged the two core sets. If anyone is interested, we can see if I can figure out how to transfer a save game. It might require subscribing to all the separate mods. I haven't tried playing it yet, so I'm not sure if there are going to be memory issues. It probably should be redone, with all the assets being properly combined to safe on memory... but that is a LOT more effort than I'm ready to try.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm a die hard Furry, so that's all you'll get.

I'll try to toss them onto my kitchen table tonight and snap a photo (although I have both third edition Horde and new Malifaux figs scattered across the damn thing right now as well) . The Belial figure alone is jaw droppingly great.

Here's a list of everything I got at the Outlaw level last weekend (stolen from BGG):

Caverns of Cynder Other World Expansion (including Lava Men)
Frontier Town Expansion (including Bandits)
Scourge Rats (including Rat's Nest as a free bonus)
Serpentmen Warriors
Serpentmen Shaman
Void Sorcerers (was just a single Sorcerer in the KS, but we are including extra 2 Void Sorcerers as a free bonus)
Void Hounds
Undead Outlaw Gang
The Undead Gunslinger
Trederran Raiders
Harvesters
Custodians
Targa Pylons
XL Dark Stone Hydra
Scafford Gang
XXL Beli'al
Dead Man's Bounty Game Supplement
Treasures of the Void Game Supplement
Badlands Expedition Game Supplement
Prospector Hero Class - with Male and Female Miniatures
Orphan Hero Class - with Male and Female Miniatures
Drifter Hero Class - with Male and Female Miniatures
Outlaw Hero Miniatures - Male and Female
Female US Marshal Miniature
Piano Player Miniature
Bandita Miniature
Female Gunslinger Miniature
Male Rancher Miniature
Female Indian Scout Miniature
Nun Miniature
Female Lawman Miniature
Alt Pose Rancher Miniature
Alt Pose Gunslinger Miniature
Alt Pose Saloon Girl Miniature
Alt Pose Bandido Miniature

I also added the 10 dollar Col. Scafford figure (10 bucks for freaking one figure...that still annoys me) to round out the Scafford gang and take it to the deluxe enemy pack. And I dropped 15 on the Flesh Stalker deluxe enemy pack as well at the last minute. But they're going to offer that to all backers prior to wave 2, so you'll still get a chance to grab that one.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If I pretend I don't own the game(s) yet and just imagine everything will be showing up at once in Q42016, it's likely I'll be very happy about the whole thing. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They screwed up...royally. But I have to give them credit for following through on their promise, as late as that may be. There is easily twice (heck, three times) the value in content than what I paid when backing it originally...even with the 20 bucks for shipping to gencon.

If I'd known now that they were going to raise the MSRP on these by so much over the last year (the cores are now 99 dollars a pop), I probably would've gone mine cart. That or included a crap ton of add ons to my pledge manager.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I do confess that, even with my anger/annoyance with them, I do kind of wish I'd gone Mine Cart. But $300 is a lot to commit to a game. At least with $150 you could feel like you were getting your value out of the two core sets - if nothing else came through.

Though in my case the best value would have been a copy of the rule books and TTS. :ninja:

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I need to overcome my fear of online gaming and do that. I just always have this feeling that I'll piss someone off because I can't play as long as they'd like, or I'll suddenly feel like playing Destiny on my PS4 instead at the last minute...yet feel obligated to play.

I'm a neurotic mess, in other words.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

These days I have lots of free time. So I'd be up for some SoB. I only recently merged everything together. I have not yet had a chance to try it out.

The nice thing about TTS is that you can save at any point - without tying up your table.

The one recent mod that I have not added is the Caverns of Cinder. Mostly because I don't have it. With the other worlds, I have the rule books in front of me. Looking stuff up in the physical rules is so much easier than trying to go through what they have... though I suppose I could just print their stuff out (maybe) and then not have to worry about the interface.

Black Lives Matter

baelthazar

[Kickstarter] Shadows of Brimstone

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote:I need to overcome my fear of online gaming and do that. I just always have this feeling that I'll piss someone off because I can't play as long as they'd like, or I'll suddenly feel like playing Destiny on my PS4 instead at the last minute...yet feel obligated to play.

I'm a neurotic mess, in other words.
Funny, I feel the exact same thing about online play. I always worry that I will have to leave early or will mess up a raid by doing the wrong thing. I got over it a little in WoW, but at the end of each group session would find I had stress sweat the entire time!

The odd thing is that I stand up in front of groups and lecture for a living. So it is an odd form of MP stage fright.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote:Any way I can persuade you to take a photo of the Outlaw level stuff that you picked up? Extra points if you can work a reflection of you in a speedo appearing on the side of a toaster or similarly reflective item.

I'm happy to hear the miniature assembly is better, though in fairness I don't think it could have been much worse. :D
I tried to get some photos last night, but the stuff is just all over the place right now. I've got Malifaux, Horde and SoB minis in various states of undress assembly scattered around my table. However, someone filmed the unboxing of their minecart level pledge pickup from last week. Just ignore the Tredarra expansion and the frontier doc, jargo native and some of the larger figs, and you'll see it all. My list above will let you know if you should have it or not.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

That paint job at the end is glorious!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm going to start assembly on a bunch of my figs this weekend. Hep, you using styrene cement or superglue? I used both on the previous models and ended up with superglue because I couldn't get the joins tight enough for styrene cement to be effective.

And because I was bored and lazy last night, I ended up spending an hour watching Adam Savage and Aaron Douglas build and paint model kits. Aaron was using these clippers to remove the bits from the sprue that I covet highly. You can see him using them in this video at about the 34 minute mark. You can see a better view at about the 51 minute mark. Apparently they are a creation of Adam himself, not available to buy anywhere. But I wants them. Oh yes, I wants them...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I use Model Masters liquid cement on larger models, and Loctite Super Glue for the smaller stuff. I could probably just use super glue for everything, but I like the liquid cement whenever possible as I'm a klutz with super glue and I inevitably glue parts of myself to the damn table/my hand/passing strangers/low flying aircraft...etc.

I'm walking back my earlier statement that the new models are much easier to assemble. The flesh stalkers, some of the new character classes, and raiders were a b&@# to put together. And I still cannot find rhyme or reason as to why some of the models are one piece, while another with less articulation even is 3 or more. :?

Still, the end of the road is near for me. As soon as I finish this up, I shouldn't have to assemble that many figures for Shadows of Brimstone with wave 2...

...of course, now I have Infinity figures to assemble thanks to Seppe and his son wanting to play after I mentioned I was interested in it. They ended up buying up a bunch of starter stuff at Gencon. And we all know that I simply must keep up with the Joneses at all times.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Well, I actually got started putting some of the figs together today. So far, nothing horrible. I did the lava monsters from Caverns of Cynder and the outlaws from The Frontier Town expansion...those were easy, just clipping off the figs, clean up the flash, and glue to bases. Then moved to assembling the allies. That was easy as well, the only ones that were fiddly were the Henchmen, their hands were pretty fiddly.

Love the allies rules, as well as the new Frontier Town rules.

Moving on to the new characters next.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

New characters were a mixed bag. The "resin" (Is this really resin? It's way softer than any resin figures I've ever dealt with) certainly makes for more detailed figures, but assembly is still a bit of a pain. The parts that you are gluing on are so small that it is not very easy to hold them in place for any length of time without gluing the mini to your thumb. So I'm resorting to using Insta-Set to get them together...drop of super glue on one part, brush a little insta set on the other part, and instant bond. Just make sure you get your part lined up right the first time!

I'm going to finish assembling the variant characters tonight, and then move on to some of the bad guys.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Picture of all of the new characters, the allies, and the variant pose figures:

Enlarge Image

All told, maybe about 3 hours work.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I keep reading mixed things about painting the new resin models. More specifically, that you need to be careful with the paint you select. I don't know if you're there yet, but I'd do some research...and then let me know what works. :D
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Smoove_B wrote:I keep reading mixed things about painting the new resin models. More specifically, that you need to be careful with the paint you select. I don't know if you're there yet, but I'd do some research...and then let me know what works. :D
I will most likely never get around to paining the models. If I paint anything, it will be the enemies and I'll use my figures for Zenda for the player characters.

And I'm not thrilled with the detail on the resins, to be honest. In some respects the details are better, but there are things that are just...well, they're all very flat. I honestly preferred the hard plastic figs.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Whoa, whoa whoa -- you assembled them and you're not even going to use them? Are you some kind of sadist? :D But seriously, yeah, I guess if I had an entire town's worth of Wild West characters that I'd already assembled and painted, the appeal for re-doing that again might not be there. Alternatively, more figures for Zenda. :wink:
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I have a certain amount of schadenfreude when I look at the FAQ from the Wave 2 shipping updates. My favorite one is:
Q: Why are you "punishing" backers who purchased some of these extra items in the Pledge Manager? I might end up paying more money than another backer who is simply buying the "Complete my Pledge" now!
I think the question should end with "Why are you 'punishing" backers?"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

They added a bunch of expansions to the kickstarter without actually researching how those expansions would be incorporated into the game. They should have focused on the core game(s) and then just added more miniatures...period. In the end, they screwed themselves royally (I have WAY more than 150 dollars worth of games from them at this point...even at online retail pricing), and they screwed the backers by promising them a timeline that was completely and ridiculously unrealistic.

Still, I love the game and I even asked for the new Tredarra expansion for Christmas (and got it). I think the only thing I'm waiting on at this point is a few of the newer character classes, and a few monsters.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Yeah. Agree with everything.

I haven't picked up anything new for it yet. Though eventually I'll likely grab some additional Otherworlds.

But I do enjoy the game a lot.

I'm still working on some House Rules though. There are some parts that I find needlessly annoying (if you are doing a campaign).

Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I really, really want that undead astronaut expansion that's coming. :wub:
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I just finished assembling all of my minis this week, with the exception of Be'lial (or however he's spelled. Overall, much easier than the originals, but still took a bunch of time because I had so many figs. But it was something good to do with my time when relaxing over the vacation.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was close to being finished...until I opened that Tredarra expansion box. The hardest damn figure to assemble out of the wave 2ish box I picked up at Gencon, and there I was staring at about a dozen more of them. :x
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I can now confirm that the apocalypse has arrived (though it was delayed due to the snow in Portland)...

My Shadows of Brimstone Wave 2 box arrived today.

Black Lives Matter

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Whoa - no notification, I'd assume? I don't remember getting notification for my core set shipping, but it's been a long, long time.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Oh, I got a shipping notification last week. So I knew it was on the way. It was supposed to come in on Monday, but those wusses in Portal held it up for a few days because they can't handle a wee bit of crystallized water. 8-)

Black Lives Matter

baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

TheMix wrote:I can now confirm that the apocalypse has arrived (though it was delayed due to the snow in Portland)...

My Shadows of Brimstone Wave 2 box arrived today.
Hmm.... that means I should be getting mine at some point. I did not do the "complete my order" nonsense or add on the extra drones or turrets for the spaceship expansion. My problem is that I have a huge stack of Warhammer Quest Silver Tower minis to assemble and paint and SoB has gone so far on the back burner because it is just so fiddly. Great game, amazing atmosphere, but a bit of a beast to play. Oddly SoB is closer to the original Warhammer Quest than the new Warhammer Quest.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

A week later and nothing. The waiting continues.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I didn't order any add-ons or make any changes. Haven't touched the pledge manager other than to confirm my address when it was originally released. I would *think* a vanilla delivery would be out the door quick and easy, but apparently not. I am also waiting and have no indication anything is coming.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Smoove_B wrote:I didn't order any add-ons or make any changes. Haven't touched the pledge manager other than to confirm my address when it was originally released. I would *think* a vanilla delivery would be out the door quick and easy, but apparently not. I am also waiting and have no indication anything is coming.
The comments suggest Outlaw pledges are not being sent yet. That would explain it on my end.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, I didn't think to check the comments. Why on earth aren't Outlaw pledges being sent yet? Wouldn't they have been the easiest and fastest to pack and ship? Particularly those of us that are just straight up pledges without add-ons?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I backed at the Outlaw level. I got my shipment. I wonder if they bumped me up the list because I purchased the add-on/completion for the Scafford gang.

Black Lives Matter

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Was your shipment fulfilled by "DIVERSIFIED DISTRIBUTION"? I'm getting a 7.5lb package from them tomorrow and have no clue what it could be... except for my Outlaw remnants? :?
-mf
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hentzau, you also picked up wave 1.75 or whatever they called it at Gencon. Do you know what we should get with the final shipment? I'm completely lost at this point. :?
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I'm pretty sure I got everything. I don't recall any labeling.

Edit: That is, I don't recall who filled it. I went back and checked the shipping notice. It was UPS from Flying Frog.

Black Lives Matter

MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Thanks for checking... must be some other late arriving KS. :wink:
-mf