For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: [BEES!] All the buzz about bees

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Enlarge Image
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Because all plurals need an apostrophe. :grund:
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

That's just great. :doh: Now bees I like, except the Africanized ones(no racial overtones implied). I guess the lovebug isn't such a terrible pest after all, compared to what's coming lately.
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

The United States is on a mission to save some of its busiest workers: bees.

In a first for bees in the nation, seven bee species native to Hawaii are now protected under the Endangered Species Act.
link
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The market will solve this problem. Government over regulation is what this is.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

So apparently no-one I know can tell the difference between wasps and bees. I am very disappointed.

I went out to lunch today with some of my sibs and we were eating outside. I hate eating outside, for reasons that will become apparent soon. The yellowjackets were out in force! My sibs were all "I hate it when bees invade when you're trying to eat!"

As a true faux-entomologist, I had to inform them that the aggressive, flying, probably drunk assholes they were swatting at were not bees, but the aforementioned wasps. We were at an Italian eatery, and there was plenty of wine for them to gorge on. My sibs and the wasps both.

We had a few close encounters. Sometimes they (the wasps) took a hit and landed in some pasta. They are pretty hardy, they took it like champs - maybe took a taste or two of the sauce, rolled over and flew off again. I try to shoo them away peacefully. Everyone else, not so much. The way they pendulum-hover makes it hard to not want to swat at them, though.

I actually hate flies more than anything when I'm eating outside. Yellowjackets are definitely #2.
There is no hug button. Sad!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

killbot737 wrote:So apparently no-one I know can tell the difference between wasps and bees. I am very disappointed.
to a surprising number of ppl, if it's yellow and black and can hurt you, it's a 'bee'.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Endangered
Finally — some good news for the bees of Hawaii.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has given endangered status to seven species of yellow-faced bees native to the islands. These are "the first bees in the country to be protected under the Endangered Species Act," according to the Xerces Society, which advocated for the new designation.

The new rule designating protections for the bees, published Friday in the Federal Register, states that yellow-faced bees are known "for their yellow-to-white facial markings." They look like small wasps, according to the rule, except for their "plumose [branched] hairs on the body that are longest on the sides of the thorax, which readily distinguish them from wasps."

The yellow-faced bee is the only bee native to Hawaii, meaning that it was able to reach the Hawaiian Islands on its own, according to a fact sheet provided by the University of Hawaii's Master Gardner Program. "From that one original colonist they evolved into 63 known endemic species, about 10% of the world's yellow-faced bees and more than are found in this genus in all of North America."
The protected status "will allow authorities to implement recovery programs, access funding and limit their harm from outside sources," as Gregory Koob of the Fish and Wildlife Service told The Associated Press. He added that "all federal agencies must consult with the Fish and Wildlife Service when interacting with endangered species."
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

For now, the placement of seven bee species into the Endangered Species List might be less of a sign that America's bees are in dire straits and more of an indicator that our other 3,993 bee species are probably doing fine.
Might be and probably are not good indicators of reality.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Health Canada proposes ban on pesticide linked to bee deaths
Canada's health regulator is planning to ban a controversial neonicotinoid pesticide, which it says has contaminated waterways and killed important aquatic insects.

Health Canada wants to ban virtually all uses of the pesticide Imidacloprid.

It said Imidacloprid poses risks to Canada's aquatic wildlife.

Studies have linked neonicotinoid use to bee deaths around the world, although whether it is to blame for colony collapse is still being debated.

In its environmental assessment, Health Canada said it frequently detected Imidacloprid in Canadian waterways. In agricultural regions where the pesticide was heavily used, the regulator detected levels "well above concentrations that may result in toxic effects to insects".

Neonicotinoids work by affecting the central nervous system of insects, and are frequently used on corn and canola crops, as well as on everything from lawns and Christmas trees to flea treatments for pets.

But studies cited by Health Canada have shown that they can also kill off beneficial insects, such as those eaten by fish, by seeping through the ground into rivers and streams.

"These insects are an important part of the ecosystem, including as a food source for fish, birds and other animals," Health Canada wrote in its ban proposal.

Health Canada said it intends to phase out almost all uses of Imidacloprid and will re-evaluate the use of two other insecticides.

The public has 90 days to comment on the proposal, before the regulator publishes its final decision.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So how then do they propose to combat Canadianized bees?
Spoiler:
The opposite of super-aggressive Africanized bees, Canadianized bees are super passive and reluctant to pollinate lest they damage a flower petal.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Guardian
The world’s most widely used insecticides pose a serious danger to both honeybees and wild bees, according to a major new assessment from the European Union’s scientific risk assessors.

The conclusion, based on analysis of more than 1,500 studies, makes it highly likely that the neonicotinoid pesticides will be banned from all fields across the EU when nations vote on the issue next month.

The report from the European Food Safety Authority (Efsa), published on Wednesday, found that the risk to bees varied depending on the crop and exposure route, but that “for all the outdoor uses, there was at least one aspect of the assessment indicating a high risk.” Neonicotinoids, which are nerve agents, have been shown to cause a wide range of harm to bees, such as damaging memory and reducing queen numbers.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:01 pm Guardian
The world’s most widely used insecticides pose a serious danger to both honeybees and wild bees, according to a major new assessment from the European Union’s scientific risk assessors.

The conclusion, based on analysis of more than 1,500 studies, makes it highly likely that the neonicotinoid pesticides will be banned from all fields across the EU when nations vote on the issue next month.

The report from the European Food Safety Authority (Efsa), published on Wednesday, found that the risk to bees varied depending on the crop and exposure route, but that “for all the outdoor uses, there was at least one aspect of the assessment indicating a high risk.” Neonicotinoids, which are nerve agents, have been shown to cause a wide range of harm to bees, such as damaging memory and reducing queen numbers.
Alzheimer's Bee-mentia is now officially a thing.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Guardian
One of the world’s most common pesticides will soon be banned by the European Union after safety officials reported human health and environmental concerns.

Chlorothalonil, a fungicide that prevents mildew and mould on crops, is the most used pesticide in the UK, applied to millions of hectares of fields, and is the most popular fungicide in the US. Farmers called the ban “overly precautionary”.

But EU states voted for a ban after a review by the European Food Safety Authority (Efsa) was unable to exclude the possibility that breakdown products of the chemical cause damage to DNA. Efsa also said “a high risk to amphibians and fish was identified for all representative uses”. Recent research further identified chlorothalonil and other fungicides as the strongest factor linked to steep declines in bumblebees.
Montag

Post by Montag »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:58 pm Because all plurals need an apostrophe. :grund:
Excuse me. What makes you think the tree is yours?
words
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Never heard of a bee bath until yesterday

https://gardentherapy.ca/bee-bath/

Enlarge Image
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

EPA eliminates restrictions on bee-killing pesticide because of course they do.
The EPA is eliminating crop restrictions on a pesticide known for its high toxicity to bees, the agency announced July 12.

The Environmental Protection Agency is approving the use of sulfoxaflor on alfalfa, corn, cacao, grains such as millet and oats, pineapple, sorghum, teff, teosinte, tree plantations, citrus, cotton, cucurbits such as squash, cucumbers, watermelons, some gourds, soybeans, and strawberries.

Sulfoxaflor is produced by Corteva Agriscience (previously DowDuPont) and sold under the brand names Transform and Closer.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

If April showers bring May flowers, what do May flowers bring?

Giant Hornets. They bring Giant Hornets. (Well, they bring bees, which are attacked by Giant Hornets)
Tracking the ‘Murder Hornet’: A Deadly Pest Has Reached North America
Sightings of the Asian giant hornet have prompted fears that the vicious insect could establish itself in the United States and devastate bee populations.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/02/us/a ... ngton.html

Fuck you, 2020.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Defiant wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:15 pm If April showers bring May flowers, what do May flowers bring?

Giant Hornets. They bring Giant Hornets. (Well, they bring bees, which are attacked by Giant Hornets)
Sightings of the Asian giant hornet have prompted fears that the vicious insect could establish itself in the United States and devastate bee populations.

Fuck you, 2020.
The bees just need to step up their game:
A single Japanese giant hornet (Vespa mandarinia japonica) can kill forty honeybees a minute. A small group of them can decimate an entire bee colony. The hornet’s scissor-like teeth can wreak havoc on their prey so swiftly that Japanese honeybees had to adapt to survive.

Instead of stinging the intruder, the honeybees swarm the hornet and begin vibrating, raising their collective temperature to 117 degrees Fahrenheit (47.2 ºC) and turning their crush of bodies into somewhat of a convection oven. While the honeybees can tolerate temperatures of 118 degrees Fahrenheit (47.8 ºC), Japanese giant hornets can only tolerate 115 degrees (46.1 ºC).

Watch the honeybees save their colony in a three minute video below.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, then, global warming will solve the problem for us!
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:52 pm Well, then, global warming will solve the problem for us!
No, it just means the era of Giant Hornet Overlords will be a relatively short one until the Honeybee ascends to the throne.
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Defiant wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:15 pmFuck you, 2020.
Up next on 2020's greatest hits: Kaiju: Can we co-exist peacefully with them or are they destined to wipe us out?
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Asian Giant Murder Hornets are in the US now. Thats going to be loads of fun one day for people to avoid. Poor honeybees are being slaughtered. One hive lost 5000 or more bees.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

We need to send our best diplomats to meet with the Killer Bee Republic and get them to fight the Murder Hornets for us. We can offer air support in the form of aerial spraying of pesticide when needed. In return we'll likely have to grant them sovereignty in large parts of the US but I think it's worth it.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

gameoverman wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:50 pm We need to send our best diplomats to meet with the Killer Bee Republic and get them to fight the Murder Hornets for us. We can offer air support in the form of aerial spraying of pesticide when needed. In return we'll likely have to grant them sovereignty in large parts of the US but I think it's worth it.
John Kerry's probably on his Logan Act violating way right now after concluding that "business" with China in Wuhan. :wink:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

What about the honey union? You know they dont like being left out.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Brutally efficient

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Defiant wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:15 pm If April showers bring May flowers, what do May flowers bring?

Fuck you, 2020.
The murder hornet is dead. Long live the murder mantis!

Praying Mantis eats Murder Hornet
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Mantis are just the coolest. Our 6th grade class had a terrarium with a big mantis in it. We'd feed her the grasshoppers we caught in the field outside the school room. She was so cool.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:08 pm

Fuck you, 2020.
The murder hornet is dead. Long live the murder mantis!

Praying Mantis eats Murder Hornet
'MURICA!
Sims 3 and signature unclear.