[Keyboards] Razer?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

GreenGoo

[Keyboards] Razer?

Post by GreenGoo »

So...I have a razer mouse. I love it. I don't love the price tag, but it's a great mouse.

I'm thinking about splurging on a fancy keyboard. It has to work, of course, but after that, if it looks pretty, that would be cool, too.

Anyone have any experience with Razer keyboards?
Anonymous Bosch

Re: [Keyboards] Razer?

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

The Razer BlackWidow Chroma, reviewed here, looks to be a decent mechanical RGB keyboard. But I'd go with the Corsair STRAFE RGB, reviewed here, as I'd much prefer genuine Cherry MX switches over the proprietary switches in the Razer keyboard.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I will add a second recommendation for Corsair keyboards and for the Cherry MX switches. The RGB line is great, with a variety of models depending on how much you want to spend for features. I got one for Christmas, and I have never owned a better keyboard. I like it enough that I can't see myself going anywhere other than Corsair if I ever need another.

And the RGB line does 'pretty' better than anyone.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks guys, I'll check it out.

edit: Holy freakin' hell, CAN$220 for a keyboard?

What's the opinion on refurbished keyboards?
Last edited by GreenGoo on Thu May 19, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive owned and used hard the Razer Chroma Blackwidow Stealth since 2014. It was expensive yes but no trouble from it. Its the quiet model of the keyboard. Uses their own orange mechanical switches. I love mine. I also hear good stuff on Corsair and other Corsair stuff Ive owned has always been high quality...never had a KB though.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

The corsair that AB mentioned is $220. The Razers are less, in the $150 range.

Since I'm splurging, I may just get the corsair (thanks for the recommendation AB! I know nothing about keyboards. You don't want to know what I'm using currently).

If I can get over the sticker shock.
Anonymous Bosch

GreenGoo wrote:The corsair that AB mentioned is $220. The Razers are less, in the $150 range.

Since I'm splurging, I may just get the corsair (thanks for the recommendation AB! I know nothing about keyboards. You don't want to know what I'm using currently).

That does seem quite steep. FWIW, Amazon.ca has it for $188.87 CAD (which, according to Google, converts to around $144 USD, which is only slightly more expensive than the $139.99 USD pricetag on Amazon.com).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Really depends on the switch type you choose as far as price goes. MX is always behind on production and I think they do it on purpose. Another reason I got something besides them.

Newegg CA has them from $179 - $245 ....its the reds that cost so much.

If you're worried about switches then these Razer ones have been out for years and theres plenty of reviews and chats online to view. I think my orange ones are like reds in mx..or was it brown? ..been too long since I researched lol.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:The corsair that AB mentioned is $220. The Razers are less, in the $150 range.

That does seem quite steep. FWIW, Amazon.ca has it for $188.87 CAD (which, according to Google, converts to around $144 USD, which is only slightly more expensive than the $139.99 USD pricetag on Amazon.com).
Thanks again. 220 is the retail price on best buy's website.

I'm actually not in a rush to get it so I can order it online and wait patiently.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote:Really depends on the switch type you choose as far as price goes. MX is always behind on production and I think they do it on purpose. Another reason I got something besides them.

Newegg CA has them from $179 - $245 ....its the reds that cost so much.

If you're worried about switches then these Razer ones have been out for years and theres plenty of reviews and chats online to view. I think my orange ones are like reds in mx..or was it brown? ..been too long since I researched lol.
Thanks to you too Daehawk. The browns are the "tactile" ones, if that helps. Blacks are the old heavy press ones and the reds are the latest soft touch ones. I don't remember what the details are on the blues.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Anonymous Bosch

Here's a decent guide from PC Gamer to the various switches for mechanical keyboards.

BTW, the Amazon links I provided above were all for the Cherry Red version of the Corsair STRAFE RGB.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Amazon sells little samplers with a key for each of the different Cherry MX switch types if you want to try them out for yourself before plopping down your cash on a keyboard.

(Brown is the best! ;) )
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You really do want to be careful with your switch picks, by the way. Some of them are really, really 'clicky', which is fine if you like that, but a pain if you don't want your gaming area to sound like a 60s typing pool (I have the MX Red, by the way, which are the quiet ones.)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok my orange are tactile and have no noise to them..no click to hear but if you go slow you can feel it in there. Also they actuate with little pressing to them.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I use a Razer. I wanted to try out a mechanical. So I watched Woot. Razer was the first one on sale.

It's a bit loud, but I don't really have a problem with it. It's held up great. Even recovered from having something spilled on it. I guess my opinion might change if I had to do a ton of key-hitting in my games. But normally it isn't an issue.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Anonymous Bosch

Daehawk wrote:Ok my orange are tactile and have no noise to them..no click to hear but if you go slow you can feel it in there. Also they actuate with little pressing to them.
They're Kailh or Kaihua switches. Razer Green are comparable to Cherry Blue switches, while Razer Orange are comparable to Cherry Brown switches.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Brown? Ah ok thank you. I was off completely. I tested the normal non Stealth model and it was just way loud for my taste.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I like my Max Keyboard Nighthawk with cherry mx brown switches. Clean, simple design; sturdy; backlit. That's pretty much all I ask.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The lighting patterns is one area where i see the Corsair beats my Razer. I dont care to make my own and Ive seen some nice patterns in videos for the Corsair. The default I have out of the 6 or 7 I have I just like one and its where they slowly cycle through all colors over time. But at least I finally got back lighting I always wanted...BRIGHT. These things positively glow. The two Logitech KBs I have SUCK ASS in how dim and useless they are.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

GreenGoo wrote:So...I have a razer mouse. I love it. I don't love the price tag, but it's a great mouse.

I'm thinking about splurging on a fancy keyboard. It has to work, of course, but after that, if it looks pretty, that would be cool, too.

My experience with Razer keyboard (old Razer Anansi) is that I don't need a fancy keyboard. :)

Since I bought it several years ago until now, I haven't used the macro function at all. So it is for me just a keyboard with backlight that can change color.

The macro function turned out to be a problem with my 18 months daughter which like to smash keys and accidentally enable the macro record function and assign the macro to random keys which I need to fix everytime she does that. Now I just shutdown Razer's software to prevent that.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Moliere wrote:I've been happy with my refurbished Corsair gaming keyboard for $90.

That's what I've got too, works great. Weighs about as much as an old IBM Model M. Really solid.
There is no hug button. Sad!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

GreenGoo wrote:So...I have a razer mouse. I love it. I don't love the price tag, but it's a great mouse.

I've got two Razer Naga Chroma mice (one was a freebie due to a botched return issue from Razer, the other I purchased afterwards -- 12 side buttons = exceptional CAD experience at work) and one Razer BlackWidow Chroma keyboard. The keyboard is just the right amount of clicky for me. I like the backlit keyboard a lot, but the rainbow colors on the individual key level is a gimmick I don't much take advantage of. The Razer software is relatively benign.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Razer products are at least 50% too expensive. i did get a Naga mouse on clearance and it's fine for that price - i do like the responsiveness and the button-click action (especially on the side buttons).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Also, here is the obligatory "Razer sent me three defective mice in a row, then called me a thief when I complained" comment. #AnythingButRazer
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Come join the cult of /r/mechanicalkeyboards on reddit sometime. :)

Razer is a gaming company, and before 2014 they used Cherry switches (from Germany) and people just view them as niche products. Before them mechanical keyboards were even more niche. In 2014 they switched to a different OEM in China and also switched to their own "Razer" branded switches made by Kaihua of China (who makes Kailh switches, Cherry clones) and due to the OEM their quality took a nose dive. Stuff started dying in less than a year. They changed OEMs again but their reputation never recovered among the keyboard enthusiasts. However, their marketing engine worked well and they cultivated a new market of gamers who demand their products. And they do really push features like RGB (Chroma) backlights, programmable keys, as well as their unique identity.

Razer is NOT well-regarded by the keyboard enthusiast community due to 1) their gami-ness, 2) their non-standard key layout 3) their earlier reputation problems. Their reliability problem seem to be solved, and their switch is now also made by Greetech of Taiwan (apparently Razer maintains control of assembly line at their switch OEMs, so they can use anybody they want).

Do keep in mind that keyboard enthusiasts would emphasize key feel (which depends on the switch used and the actual key material) over key looks (font, shape/profile, backlight, overall case design), which may not be your aesthetic.

Keyboard enthusiasts often build their own board, but if you want a nice RGB capable board, the common go-to board is Coolermaster Masterkey L for about $170. This just came out a few months ago, does not look too gami-sh, and is nice and bright RGB with a lot of lighting modes and other tricks, while using genuine Cherry switches.

If you need other recommendations, specify your use and requirements. (Size? Color? Noise tolerance? Lighting? Ever switch keycaps? How hard do you type? Etc.)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I'm looking at getting a new keyboard. I'll be using it mostly for typing, partially for gaming. I need quiet as much as possible, knowing that some noise is always going to be present regardless. I touch type, and I'm very light on the keys, not a button masher. I want a normal keyboard, don't need lights/extra function keys/programmability. The key layout needs to be standard.

I've done a bit of research, watched Youtube videos too. My issues are: all the Cherry MX switches sound equally loud to me, as in even the 'quiet' ones are ridiculously loud. Mechanical keyboards without frills cost basically the same as no frills keyboards. So why would anyone buy a no frills keyboard if you aren't saving any money?

At this point I'm think Cherry red with O rings is probably my best bet. I like the look of Ducky keyboards. Any ideas where I should go from here? Budget <$150

Or maybe I should just get a $10 Logitech office keyboard like I always do?

On Youtube I saw a Red Dragon keyboard with chiclet keys, what are those keys like? It was dead quiet but I don't know that I could live with those kinds of keys on a daily basis.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

If you want max quiet, but also "feel" a click in your keys, you have a couple choices:

Coolermaster Novatouch with hybrid electrocapacitive keys $164. This is a TKL (no numpad) based on technology from Topre

If you want a numpad, there's also the Topre Type Heaven, about $155, based on the same Topre technology. This is their "budget" line. Their premium "RealForce" line costs well over $200.

If you want MAXIMUM QUIET... This will cost you... Happy Hacking Keyboard Type S, tiny, made in Japan, same Topre switches, but FURTHER SILENCED, but this costs $340

And if you don't like the Topre, one further option: Matias Quiet Pro Keyboard using Matias / ALPS switches, about $140.

There are Chinese clone keyboards with their clone of Topre switches, esp. by "Plum" or "Royal Kludge", but they are rarely seen in the US. You practically have to order them from China through a vendor on Aliexpress.com or Banggood or such.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Thanks for the reply and pointers. I'm gonna look at that Matias and maybe investigate the Chinese clone scene while I'm at it.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The keyboard you need to find is Royal Kludge RC-930, available in both 87 and 104. It may be available on Aliexpress. I'm linking you to an expired groupbuy so you can read the specs and comments.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/royal-kludge-rc930-87

Found it

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/RK-RC930 ... 49804.html
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:

So it's time for a little retail therapy. You know, buy a new toy to make yourself feel better. I'm thinking keyboard or 2nd monitor or both. I click on AB's link above and it takes me to amazon.ca page where the list price is $293 canadian. I'm like, wtf, that can't be right, so I click the american link. $139.

Huh. There must be a supply issue or something up here, because the Canadian price is insane.

edit: A closer look seems like the above link now goes to the the 227 key keyboard. Still crazy, but now I know I'm not comparing apples and apples.
Actually I don't know the different yet, but different model numbers. CH-9000094-NA vs CH-9000227-NA

There is a CH-9000092-NA listed at NCIX. I should probably figure out what I'm buying before I buy it.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, there are enough models that it's confusing.

If I wanted a corsair, RGB, cherry MX red keyboard, which model should I get? Model number would help.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

K95 RGB or K70 Lux RGB. The main difference between the two models is the extra rows of custom keys on the left.

The Lux is superior to the regular RGB with slightly smoother lighting and the ability to use the lighting profiles when plugged into a computer without the Corsair software installed, but if that doesn't matter to you, then you could just get the regular K70 RGB, too.

If you really want to get yourself a treat, their MM300 is the best mousepad I've ever owned.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure I'm at the led mousepad stage yet, but I didn't even know they existed, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I'm reading the details of the keyboards, but I'm not 100% sure what the difference is. Also, AB recommended the STRAFE model, which I also don't understand what is different between all the models, since they all seem to be RGB cherry red switches.

Looks like CH-9000227-NA is the model AB was talking about, which is about $200 (~$153 US) with a 2 week wait from NCIX.

Now if I understood the differences between the gaming K95, K70 LUX and the STRAFE models, I could make a choice.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GreenGoo wrote: I'm reading the details of the keyboards, but I'm not 100% sure what the difference is. Also, AB recommended the STRAFE model, which I also don't understand what is different between all the models, since they all seem to be RGB cherry red switches.
The only real difference between the two I linked is the extra programmable keys along the side.

The Strafe RGB is a good model, too. Comparing the two is largely a matter of preference.

~Strafe has USB passthrough, K70 does not.
~Strafe has a plastic frame, K70 is aircraft aluminum.
~Different keyboard fonts.
~Strafe does not have multimedia keys (mute, volume wheel), K70 does (and they're good quality for once.)
~Strafe (from what I've read) has slightly brighter ligting due to a white background.
GreenGoo wrote: I'm not sure I'm at the led mousepad stage yet, but I didn't even know they existed, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.
Ok, 'cause I was recommending the $20 cloth one. ;)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Strafe has a plastic case

K70 has aluminum top plate / frame

Kxx Lux model is the latest with Cherry RGB switches and improved lighting controller used in the Strafe series.

K95 has extra 18 macro buttons on the left for extensive macro work (way overkill, if you ask me)

There are two SKUs for K70's and K95s because Corsair switched logos last year. The difference are the logos if they are otherwise identical.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

And FWIW, Canadian prices *are* insane. Look for sale on NCIX instead, IMHO.

Personally, unless you really want the red switch, get this with blue switch keyboard instead for half the price:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/azio-mgk1-bl ... 103268.htm
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks for clarifying the differences guys, I appreciate it.

The STRAFE model is about 13 US bucks more expensive at NCIX than on amazon US. It's the sort of premium we've been paying my whole life. They charge it because they can, and we pay it because we haven't had a lot of choice in the past.

I'm pretty much settled on a corsair. Allowing myself to spend the money is 1/2 the therapy.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, and in case it comes up, some Corsair products have two different model numbers for the same model. The difference? Different logos. There was a bit of a kerfuffle a while back when Corsair changed their logo from a sailing ship to a sort of tribal tattoo looking logo. People hated it so much that they changed it back to a slightly more stylized version of the sails, and to keep people happy they let the die-hard fans ensure that they didn't get the 'tramp stamp' version.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, and when you get your keyboard in, you'll want to browse this link.

/edit - not much there right now. I'm reading that they just released CUE 2 (Corsair Utility Engine - their lighting/key programming utility), updating from CUE 1. This broke most of the old profiles, and all of the authors are scrambling to update theirs to CUE 2. Normally this is where you go to get the really nice custom lighting profiles. I'm sure it will be repopulated soon.