American Truck Simulator

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: American Truck Simulator

Post by YellowKing »

I had to do a clean install of Windows 10 due to MS jacking my PC up with their Insider preview (which I'm now opted out of, thank you very much). But lo and behold, my streaming radio works in-game now so I'm a happy camper.

Just got finished with a nightmare delivery. Stockton to Barstow, short 600 mile trip, easy peasy. Get to Barstow without incident (even avoiding that nasty little speedtrap right outside Bakersfield) and go to park and get the damn truck stuck on a loading platform. And I mean STUCK - I couldn't do anything. So I had to call for assistance, they towed it back to Barstow proper 50 miles away, costing me $350 and 2 hours of time on a delivery I'm going to be late for.

So I start to head back to the drop-off, take an intersection too wide and plow right into a car head on. I get away from that scrape, make it back to the delivery drop-off, forget that I'm back in town and get busted for speeding. Finally deliver the goods.

Score? EXCELLENT - no penalties.

Apparently California has very low standards for truck drivers. :D
persself

Post by persself »

How do you buy another garage or expand existing one - what is the cost ? I'm just into my first truck, and will want to hire a driver. Of course, that means buying another truck, too.
Girl Gamer Extraordinaire-less/Redskins Fan
KDH

Post by KDH »

persself wrote:How do you buy another garage or expand existing one - what is the cost ? I'm just into my first truck, and will want to hire a driver. Of course, that means buying another truck, too.

I've been away from ETS2 for a year or two, so I hesitate to explain from memory .. so a video, perhaps?

also .. (from memory) .. your drivers will gravitate to the best paying jobs .. they will easily carry their weight by the time they have a level or two (even with bank loans) .. you can set their level-up choices (or focus what they choose, I forget .. I always chose "long-distance") ... they never seem to get in accidents .. they can drive bottom-of-the-line vehicles, (buying good trucks is a role-playing choice)

I'm sure others will correct me if things have changed via patch
Ain't nobody got time for that
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

For those who are on the fence, there is now a demo on the Steam page.
If you are still unsure whether to take the risk and buy the game for fear of technical incompatibility, we are happy to announce the availability of a free American Truck Simulator demo. Try it out to make sure the game will work on your computer before making the purchase decision. You can grab it from Steam now, just as the game itself.

The demo is limited by the number of jobs taken and only contains the state of California, but technically it's identical with the game itself. If you purchase the game after playing the demo, you can continue driving where you have left off, as the save game stored in the demo mode is compatible with the full game.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That's exactly what I did with ETS2.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I had my first long distance (+600 miles) haul the other night and my God what a clusterf***.

Pulling out of the parking lot I clipped a pickup truck, setting the stage for the way this trip was going to go.

I noticed I was low on fuel right out of the gate, but I figured - "surely the game would not strand me with too little gas to get to a gas station." As I headed into the Nevada desert, I started to question that assumption. I wound up coasting into a station on pure fumes, but patted myself on the back for overcoming that obstacle.

Feeling good, I pull out and get stuck trying to make a left in a neverending stream of traffic going 80. After five minutes of this bullshit, I gun it and promptly get T-boned by another truck. Now my cab is 24% damaged and the trailer's crushed too. I drive off because dammit, this dynamite is not going to deliver itself!

I tear off through the desert and immediately start having engine trouble due to the crash. So randomly my truck will just cut off. VISIT A SERVICE CENTER IMMEDIATELY an alert flashes, not telling me where to find a service center 300 miles into the desert. I start imagining scenarios - will I die out here? Will someone one day find a rotting truck full of dynamite, a skeleton wearing a trucker's cap still behind the wheel?

Then I realize I'm just hallucinating because I'm exhausted. My bedtime alert is going off. But look! Up ahead! A rest area!

I pull in and get some shut eye. Good thing I didn't have to get anywhere, as I decide to sleep until 2pm in the afternoon. My delivery was due 6 hours ago.

I pull out of the rest area, my engine still malfunctioning, stall in traffic and get rear ended. Fuck it. Eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin'. I was going to do what they said can't be done. As I'm yee-hawing my way to my final destination, I miss a red light and get a ticket. DAMMIT!

I finally pulled into the mine some 8 hours late, dropped off my delivery, and wound up taking home around $7,000 of my original $15,000. :coffee:
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

YellowKing wrote:I finally pulled into the mine some 8 hours late, dropped off my delivery, and wound up taking home around $7,000 of my original $15,000. :coffee:
Who says trucking can't be exciting? :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

A couple of real annoyances:

- Getting a $1000 ticket for going 1 mile over the speed limit. This doesn't happen all the time, but I've had it happen once.

- Getting a $900 fine for "crashing vehicle" when I was cruising along the highway in my own lane and a car *behind* me changed lanes too quick and clipped me. WTF?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I turned off the police until it is fixed using this:
GO TO: C:\Users\USER\Documents\American Truck Simulator\profiles

1. select your profile folder will be a bunch of numbers
2. select config and open it in notepad
3. look for uset g_police "1"
4 change it to uset g_police "0" and save
5. Break the law all you want and Profit $$
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another truck has been released: Get to Drive Kenworth W900 Now!
We are happy to announce that the legendary Kenworth W900 truck is now a part of American Truck Simulator. The truck is a free DLC - the game will be updated automatically through Steam. Please check out the little movie that we have made to celebrate this event:

There are also several notable changes coming with this game update, let us preview them for you:

Since ATS release, we have heard plenty of complaints regarding relative large fines in the game. Perhaps our tester group is so much experienced already; playing our games for years, that they did not bring it to our attention that this would be a problem especially for new players. We erred here on the side of trying to make this element of the game too close to reality, catering to the veteran fans who want it tough.

On second thought, it's not really a good idea to intimidate people coming fresh to the game with crippling fines. Fines are now considerably lower in the early stages of the game, they grow larger only as the player's skill/level grows.

We have also made the detection code for speeding more forgiving, giving the player more time to adjust to a new speed limit. We definitely do not want to make players feel like the game is unfair!

More changes in this area are in the pipeline, our map team is hard at work adding more speed limit signs to proper places to explicitly zone the limits. There are also changes to the AI code that are tied to yet more map tweaks, which should further limit the problems with being rammed by overly stupid AI cars and on top of it getting penalized for it. But we will only be able to push out the changes in the map alongside the next major game update, so please have patience with us.

Finally, we have also improved the detection of 'turn on red' feature in the game. For drivers in Europe, it may be a surprise that in the US it's legally allowed to turn right at red traffic light, unless explicitly prohibited. So in the game, if you properly use your indicator to signal that you are turning right, no red light penalty is applied just as expected..
Sound like some good changes coming.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah, just those changes there would resolve almost all of my chief complaints.

I bought my first truck, which was really exciting. Saved up 85k so I only had to get a 50k bank loan. Definitely getting better at those longer runs too.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I fired up Euro Trucking Simulator 2 since the new France DLC is coming out soon, but I've found that I am now hooked on ATS and don't want to go back. I love the desert, the mountains, and weird things like this... (click image to enlarge)

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Open Beta 1.2 is out - Steam Workshop, wheel customization
The open beta of the ETS2 update has been live for two days. We want to thank all of you who’ve already participated and given us feedback! It means it’s high time for the ATS beta! Update 1.2 for American Truck Simulator is entering Open Beta on Steam today.

We’re working simultaneously on both ATS and ETS2. The same game engine allows us to make changes to both games in parallel, so some improvements to the game may be familiar to you from the previous blog post about the ETS2 open beta. Among the features and fixes common to both games, you can find a lot of improvements solely for ATS, which we've been working on since the release of the game last month.

MAIN FEATURES

Steam Workshop
Ultimate Wheel Customization

UI

Navigation path (red line) can be disabled (option)
Disable of hidden Route Advisor popups (option)
Autopark feature can be disabled (option)
Speeding highlight on Route Advisor

VEHICLES

Fixed cruise control locked on by retarder
Multiple position of engine brake
Improved truck stability during retarder usage
Keyboard steering improved

MAP

Speed limits polished
Speed limits signs enlarged
Stop signs removed from traffic light controlled crossroads
Turn left traffic light added to some crossroads
Certified scales are now working
Traffic light on interstates removed (where possible)

OTHER

AI improvements
There's more on the announcement page. The beta for these changes went live on ETS2 a couple of days ago and that looked pretty decent. The Steam Workshop integration is a nice feature.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The new beta has brought mod support through the Steam Workshop, so currently I'm playing using these (click image to enlarge)

Check out my new mudflaps!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And some more mods:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The free New Mexico Arizona DLC has been released, Grand Canyon included!
Last edited by jztemple2 on Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

Who doesn't love travelling to New Mexico to gaze upon the majestic Grand Canyon? Too bad it isn't in the US. Damn Mexicans.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:Who doesn't love travelling to New Mexico to gaze upon the majestic Grand Canyon? Too bad it isn't in the US. Damn Mexicans.
Oops, sorry, the free Arizona DLC. Hey, I've been on vacation for over two weeks in Pittsburgh, Cleveland and Cincinnati. Now, if Ohio or Pennsylvania had been released, I've have gotten those right. Not that I'm sure that those states will ever show up in the game :(
Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

No worries, I have been following the DLC news too closely, so I thought that maybe they had released the Arizona DLC without the Grand Canyon, and we're putting it in with the New Mexico. Either way, I just saw a joke o--out unity, and took it.

As for the game, I purchased it at release, but decided to wait ~one year for the game world to grow. Looking good, so far.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Some massively important news from the SCS, the developers, in this post called The Rescale. There's lots of info, so I'll give you the tl;dr version:
Having said all that, perhaps the greatest number of complaints from the players of American Truck Simulator have been related to the scale of the map. Your comments are incredibly important to us, and we listen to as many as we can.As such, we had been pondering internally how to meet your feedback for several months while we finished work on the Arizona DLC, and now we have made up our mind: we are, as a free future update, going to increase the scale of the game world of American Truck Simulator. This update will have many clear benefits for you, such as:
  • Upping the map scale from 1:35 to 1:20, meaning 75% longer roads outside cities
  • Retouching the the existing system of roads and intersections and revisiting the placement of cities and crossroads
  • Focusing on a better sense of scale and distance, more space for large vistas
  • Adjusting the timescale - meaning a slower day/night cycle and longer intervals between when the driver needs to rest and refuel
  • Revamping problematic junctions - no more Interstate intersections!
  • Revamping the driver experience system to more closely mirror ETS2's system
  • More room for densely populated areas in future map expansions
And...
There is one thing that we need from you though - patience. It will take several months to re-scale the existing world before we can move on to building completely new areas and DLC.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Nothing has been posted here for awhile, so I thought I'd mention a couple of items. One, the Rescale mentioned above continues, a week ago they posted some screenshots and they also note:
As of right now we're estimating it will still be several weeks before we start internal testing - only after which the game update will go into the highly anticipated Open Beta. Until then, we hope these screenshots will tide you over.
And a new update has been uploaded.
We are happy to announce that the final version of the 1.4 update for American Truck Simulator and 1.25 for Euro Truck Simulator 2 are now available via Steam. Big thanks to all of you who have contributed with your feedback and bug reports during the Open Beta period!

Let's recap the key features included with these updates:

Trailer selection - When you pick up a new job the game will now give you a chance to change the trailer look (or the trailer itself) if it finds that there are alternate trailer styles or textures available for the given cargo. Even better, it works with modded trailers as well.

Custom steering wheel position -You'll be allowed to adjust the tilt of the steering wheel column or telescope it so you can create your perfect driving position.

Here's a log of the additional fixes and improvements that went into this update:

CODE

Cruise control is not disabled by the throttle anymore.
Interior camera zoom - You can bind the key for zoom in Options → Key and buttons → Camera controls → Zoom interior camera.
Option to set preferred job length generation in options.
Option to set split shifting input.
More unit display options (volume, consumption).

DATA

Steering wheels are now a separate model with a default and exclusive version for each truck
Steering knobs - six different steering knobs in each game; you are able to install them at four possible locations on a steering wheel.
Customizable cabin lights and horns on all trucks.
Low air warning sound added.

MODDING

Separated map_data.sii from game_data.sii
Look_presets_defaults[] in interior camera
Change trailer looks to paint jobs.

Please also check out our modding wiki[modding.scssoft.com] to get the best advice for modding either game.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I really love the idea of the rescale.

I believe I'll pick this up the next time it goes on sale.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

SCS is doing a free DLC giveaway. If you have played ATS for five hours, and go to the Facebook and Twitter pages of SCS and Steering Creations, Inc, you get a free DLC. It's pretty painless, and what it nets you is the Steering Creations Pack:
With kind cooperation of Steering Creations, Inc., we are introducing 20 unique alternate designs of steering wheels, carefully modelled to recreate the originals in full detail.

The purpose of Steering Creations is to provide comfortable, attractive, and personalized steering wheels to the trucking industry; dedicated to provide product which significantly improves the truck driver's daily traveling experience. This DLC shares the same passion - to bring the drivers a wide selection of physically relaxing and aesthetically pleasing steering wheels.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I've read that the map rescale is out in beta now, and the reviews seem to love it.

Anyone tried it? I assume that this is what will lead me to buy the game at the next sale.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

No, I haven't tried it, but a lot of folks (including me) posted that this rescale would be A Very Good Thing for the game. I'm planning on giving it a look when I burn out on Motorsport Manager after a while.
Frnk55

Post by Frnk55 »

Holman wrote:I've read that the map rescale is out in beta now, and the reviews seem to love it.

Anyone tried it? I assume that this is what will lead me to buy the game at the next sale.
Oh that's great to hear! Can't wait it will be like a new game.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And a new freebie DLC pack for the holidays, but you have to earn it! Grand Gift Delivery 2016
Somehow, a pair of really bad, malicious, and spiteful Christmas spirits escaped from Santa’s magical leashes, and now they are nowhere to be found. Various national legends call them different names – Grinch, Jólakötturinn a.k.a. the Christmas Cat, Hans Trapp, Belsnickel, Père Fouettard, Krampus or Grýla. Reports from around the globe suggest that this time, they’ve taken on the form of two dragons, and that they have already started doing their usual mischiefs. Unfortunately, Santa Claus is the only one wielding the power to put them on a leash again. But Santa is supposed to be loading his sleigh at this very moment with his magical cargo, he certainly does not have any time now for tracking and catching these spirits!
Unless... we all lend our helping hand!

It is up to us, dear fellow truckers. If there is anybody qualified to help with this long haul gift logistics business, it's us! Our help can provide Santa with much needed relief to hunt these “dragons” down. Will you help us save Christmas?

Together, we will prevail. And there is something to look forward to as well! Our reward will be more than just feeling proud about saving Xmas. Santa himself has promised to return the favor. Once the dragons are in chains again, he will offer to permanently decorate our mighty diesel beauties with the touch of these dragon forms.

Enlarge Image

Here come the rules of this Christmas Event:

Deliver gifts to at least 10 DIFFERENT cities across European and American continents. Log in to your World of Trucks account to begin.

Reward: Event-exclusive Dragon Truck Design DLC Steam keys, one for Euro Truck Simulator 2 and one for American Truck Simulator, plus a special World of Trucks achievement.

Euro Truck Simulator 2:

2 Exclusive Paintjobs
Front Wheel Hub Cover
Rear Wheel Hub Cover
Exclusive Dragon Designed Interior Backlight

American Truck Simulator:

2 Exclusive Paintjobs
Front Wheel Hub Cover
Rear Wheel Hub Cover
Exclusive Steering Wheel

Game updates 1.26.3 for ETS2 and 1.5.2 for ATS is required for participating in the event.

You will not be able to buy this DLC, it has to be earned!

Everyone who passes the requirements will get keys of this DLC for both games, even if you don't have one of these games yet.

Please, put on your warmest coat, grab some hot chocolate or coffee, and start your engine. We have some work to do!
KDH

Post by KDH »

:horse: American Truck Simulator heads to New Mexico next

Today marks one year anniversary of American Truck Simulator's release. When we started working on the game way back several years ago, it was with a tiny team of five people, and still we were not sure if we can sustain the development. But we persisted, and were rewarded by a very strong launch on the market and a warm reception by the community as well as gaming press. This gave us the confidence to bolster the team and raise our ambition for the scale of the project.

At this moment, over 20 people focus solely on ATS development; an internal team plus a network of full-time contractors. Still it is not enough. We are well aware that the game's fans would like to see more content, more vehicles, more game features, more optimizations, faster progress. To make this possible, we keep growing the company - our vision is to at least double our production bandwidth for both American Truck as well as Euro Truck 2. We have been adding a few new people to the company pretty much every month during 2016, and we'll definitely keep on growing through 2017. All this new talent does and will make a difference that you should definitely notice.

We are happy to confirm that the next map expansion for American Truck Simulator will be the state of New Mexico!
:ugeek:
Spoiler:
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Enlarge Image
Ain't nobody got time for that
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Texas! Texas! Texas! NM makes it possible.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I was hoping they'd go north.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Alefroth wrote:I was hoping they'd go north.
I'd agree that something other than more desert would be nice.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There are non-desert parts of New Mexico. Ruidoso comes to mind.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

coopasonic wrote:
Alefroth wrote:I was hoping they'd go north.
I'd agree that something other than more desert would be nice.
I was going to say that, but then i thought Isgrimnur would probably correct me.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Never let the fear of being Isgrimnured stop you. Not only is he not nearly as scary as he seems, but he was himself wrong at one time. Sure, it was before Google, reddit and unlimited data plans, but it still happened!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:lol:
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

FYI - this is on a deeply discounted Steam sale this week. I bought the damned thing just yesterday! But I still splurged on the DLC today.

Also - Oregon DLC is out and Washing DLC is due out later this year.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
naednek

Post by naednek »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:12 pm FYI - this is on a deeply discounted Steam sale this week. I bought the damned thing just yesterday! But I still splurged on the DLC today.

return it and rebuy. if you didn't play for more than 2 hours you can use their return window.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I'll probably do the return/rebuy when I get home tonight. Too much issue trying to do it with the phone app.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Cylus Maxii wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 3:12 pm FYI - this is on a deeply discounted Steam sale this week. I bought the damned thing just yesterday! But I still splurged on the DLC today.

Thanks to you I just bought it.
Thanks! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I got this back when it first came out and put a few dozen hours in it, probably half of those after they re-scaled the maps to match that of ETS2. But even with the states that have been released, I just can't get excited about it any more because I figure I'm going to be too ancient to play by the time they cover even all the states west of the Mississippi, much less the whole continental USA :roll: