Fantasy Flight Games and Games Workshop end parternship

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

Fantasy Flight Games and Games Workshop end parternship

Post by Smoove_B »

Figured some people might like to know:
In 2008, Fantasy Flight Games first began publishing great games set in the amazing Games Workshop universes. From the earliest days of the partnership, Games Workshop played a key role in the Fantasy Flight Games library, helping us further develop roleplaying games like Dark Heresy and Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, while creating and establishing new board games like Chaos in the Old World and Forbidden Stars, and Living Card Games® such as Warhammer 40,000: Conquest and Warhammer: Invasion.
What does this mean for Fantasy Flight Games products created from Games Workshop properties?

As stated above, after February 28th, 2017, product lines dealing with Games Workshop properties will end and will no longer be offered for sale by Fantasy Flight Games.

All upcoming products for these product lines have already been announced—there will be no new announcements of additional Games Workshop-licensed products. All announced, currently unreleased products will be released before the conclusion of the business relationship between Fantasy Flight Games and Games Workshop.
The link above has all the products impacted. If I may be so bold as to suggest picking up a copy of Death Angel at your earliest convenience and before supplies (and prices) skyrocket. It's a great game.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Lordnine

Re: Fantasy Flight Games and Games Workshop end parternship

Post by Lordnine »

Yeah I just read this elsewhere. A disappointment for me since FF has been handling Games Workshops licenses better than they do.

Forbidden Stars and the new Fury of Dracula are both worth picking up before they vanish.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I think this also ends Talisman. Time to pick up the last few expansions to complete it for nostalgia.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zarathud wrote:I think this also ends Talisman.
Yes. All the affected games:
• Black Crusade
• Blood Bowl: Team Manager
• Chaos in the Old World
• Chaos Marauders
• Dark Heresy
• Dark Heresy Second Edition
• Deathwatch
• Forbidden Stars
• Fury of Dracula
• Only War
• Relic
• Rogue Trader
• Space Hulk: Death Angel
• Talisman
• Warhammer: Diskwars
• Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay
• Warhammer: Invasion The Card Game
• Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game
• Warhammer 40,000: Conquest
The expansions for Death Angel are already skyrocketing. I saw Warhammer Adventure Quest on Amazon Deep discount earlier this week and almost picked it up, but most of the complaints suggested it was in dire need of expansion content. Clearly that's not happening now.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I just put in orders for the rest of the GW stuff I'd been eyeing. I've already got Death Angel, but no expansions, and they've been hard to find for a while. I'd love to get the Chaos in the Old World expansion, but that's also been scarce for over a year. I did wind up grabbing:

- both Relic expansions
- Fury of Dracula
- Warhammer Quest card game and both expansions

All the rest of the GW stuff they put out that I want, I've already got. I suspect Forbidden Stars will wind up jacking way up in price down the line, much like Starcraft did. It's really too bad they never released the expansion that was supposedly finished.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Fury of Dracula is the only thing I own or have been interested in on the list... and that is still sealed. I guess no impact for me... except possibly an increase in value for my copy of Fury. :twisted:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'm now kind of annoyed that I didn't order Fury with that Barnes & Noble coupon last weekend. Stupid Chaz.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Chaz wrote: I suspect Forbidden Stars will wind up jacking way up in price down the line, much like Starcraft did. It's really too bad they never released the expansion that was supposedly finished.
I find the loss of Forbidden Stars the greatest tragedy here. It is such a good game, the only fault being that it plays a bit long. Like most people who bought it, I would have jumped on an expansion.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is the kind of stuff that drives my collector compulsion and makes me hoard games, fearing they'll disappear from the market. I have 2 of the 4 expansions for Death Angel and just never got around to getting the last two. I mean, why on earth would I think they'd suddenly go out of print? When Asmodee purchased FFG I should have guessed this was a likely outcome.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Damn, I just sold off Relic and Forbidden Stars a few months ago. I wish I had held on to them!
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

The end of Warhammer Quest the Card Game is sad news. I'd still grab it if you can. The story driven 5-quest campaign and more random "Delve quest" is a lot of content. I think most of the complaints were that it's a great system that warrants more content, not that the game was lacking.

This announcement does explain the out-of-the-blue, print on demand mini expansions they put out a few months ago. Glad to see they tried to get more product out before the end.

I wonder what the status is for these products. Are GW free to pursue publishing/expanding these titles going forward?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I suspect that FFG retains the rights to the products themselves, but GW has the rights to the IP. Which basically means that neither can publish the games as they exist now without making a deal with the other, which is unlikely to happen for a while. So basically, they're gone.

Talisman is another big blow. FFG's done a really good job and put out a lot of solid content for their version. That's all about to go back to becoming a grail game again. If I didn't think that Relic is a better version of that system, I might be hunting down some Talisman stuff.

This is probably a mini-preview of what's going to go down when FFG eventually loses the Star Wars license. Not that that's likely to happen any time soon, but nothing lasts forever with licensing deals.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

GW has gone off the deep end with its licensing lately. I almost wonder if they're finally realizing that their 90s business model isn't working anymore and are starting to panic.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Waited too long to get the character expansions for the Warhammer Card Game and now they're no longer available. :x
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote:I almost wonder if they're finally realizing that their 90s business model isn't working anymore and are starting to panic.
I was thinking maybe they were seeing success with their own board game publishing (Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower; Assassinorum: Execution Force) that they were wondering why they're licensing IP instead of just doing it themselves. Total speculation, of course.
$iljanus wrote:Waited too long to get the character expansions for the Warhammer Card Game and now they're no longer available.
Never say never. :wink:
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

$iljanus wrote:Waited too long to get the character expansions for the Warhammer Card Game and now they're no longer available. :x
Is that the witch hunter and trollslayer? Check Miniature Market. They're showing 20+ each.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Well crap, I didn't think about the Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game going away. I fortunately grabbed the trollslayer and witchhunter packs, but I was hoping for further expansions for this excellent little game. :cry:
Covfefe!
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I'm pretty bummed, I hadn't pulled the trigger on Forbidden Stars and it's right up my alley. Went to grab it after the news and nobody has it. Can't afford the prices it will soon hit
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Worst case, I imagine there are scans or photos of the expansion cards out there. The action cards are simply for player reference (and tapping to show you used them). Each hero came with 4 legendary gear cards but they're only shuffled with themselves. Pretty easy content to reproduce for your own use.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Harkonis wrote:I'm pretty bummed, I hadn't pulled the trigger on Forbidden Stars and it's right up my alley. Went to grab it after the news and nobody has it. Can't afford the prices it will soon hit
Seppe has it and I'm sure we'll be playing it at the next Ocotocon. It's a pretty neat little game.
Covfefe!
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I'm super glad I had that one already.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote:This is the kind of stuff that drives my collector compulsion and makes me hoard games, fearing they'll disappear from the market. I have 2 of the 4 expansions for Death Angel and just never got around to getting the last two. I mean, why on earth would I think they'd suddenly go out of print? When Asmodee purchased FFG I should have guessed this was a likely outcome.
Generally speaking, I think Vasel's Law helps counter such compulsions:
BoardGameGeek.com wrote:What is Vasel's law?

Vasel's law says

"If a game is truly a great game, and is out of print - it will eventually (usually within 10-15 years) be reprinted."

also

"If a game isn't reprinted, and no one is interested in reprinting it - it wasn't that great of a game."

Exceptions: Legalities and IP problems can prevent this from happening. Also, a different version of the game may prevent the original from being reprinted (and usually most people will agree that the newer version is better, with a loud minority saying otherwise.)

Practically: If someone tells you a game is AMAZING and it's out of print, don't spend a ton of money getting it. Wait for the reprint. And if it's never reprinted, you really aren't missing anything.
While these particular FFG/GW games are unlikely to be reprinted anytime soon, there's still going to be plenty of other worthwhile and highly entertaining and enjoyable titles that are, regardless of whether they have much, or anything, to do with GW or FFG. It's best not to fret over acquiring or collecting such rarities, as they're almost never worth the inflated and exorbitant asking prices anyway.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Thanks to a timely PM I have now bought the character expansions from Miniature Market. The board game addiction is fed! Now to look for the Space Hulk expansions...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Now people are trying to convince me to get in on Blood Bowl Team Manager. I'm resisting just due to the size of the order I just placed, but the FOMO is strong.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Chaz wrote:but the FOMO is strong.
I would imagine resale/trade values will be high if it doesn't work out for you. I've recovered quite a bit of money at my local gaming convention auctions...which I think promptly spend on more games because I'm an idiot. It really is hard to resist when you know (1) it's disappearing and (2) people will be hoarding retail copies now and shelving them to resell unopened next year when all stock is gone.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I think at this point, I'm just going to wait and grab it if I see it on cheap sale down the line, and otherwise feel good that I didn't add another game to my overflowing shelves.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Good heads up. Just ordered Fury 3rd edition before it vanishes. 2nd edition was one of my favs. Heard great things about the revamp.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

malchior wrote:Heard great things about the revamp.
:clap:
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Daveman wrote:
I really hope that was unintentional.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
malchior

Post by malchior »

hentzau wrote:
Daveman wrote:
I really hope that was unintentional.
It was intentional and I should have said before he vanishes for more bite. :twisted:
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Was running around this weekend looking for stuff on this list and came up basically empty. Except for "Fury", it was... everywhere. Took that to mean it wasn't all that popular but also noted that it wasn't obviously associated with GW as well. I'll have to go see if I can find these great things of which you speak.
-mf
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There are $5 expansion decks for Death Angel listed for $60-85 on eBay right now. That's absurd. Even the base game is being listed for $35+ online, though Amazon seemingly has it for close to retail. It would be nice if FF was holding on to stock on their site store for a big holiday liquidation, but who knows. It's a damn shame overall.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

There's one store I know that has three of the four Death Angel expansions, along with Blood Bowl Team Manager and both expansions. I'm tempted, but I've never played Blood Bowl TM. And I don't know if I should really afford another $100 in games. Hmm.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I got my copy at a Borders store closing years ago. I bought a couple of copies for like 5 bucks each and gave one to a friend.

So you may want to check at a Barnes and Nobles too.
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I hit several B&N stores around me last weekend and... Fury. No clue what edition, however.
-mf
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Does the cover feature an imposing looking Dracula looming over the hunters, or a goofy as hell Dracula grinning at you? Those would be second and third editions, respectfully. If it was in a store, it's probably third. Third does not have good cover art.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Liberace Dracula is the latest edition, right?
Covfefe!
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Chaz wrote:or a goofy as hell Dracula grinning at you?
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

That's actually an improvement over the third edition art.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I bought both of the expansions for Blood Bowl Team Manager.
I'm kind of having buyers remorse though. I like the game, but I don't know if I like the game $50 more.