Fantasy Flight Games and Games Workshop end parternship

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

MonkeyFinger

Re: Fantasy Flight Games and Games Workshop end parternship

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Chaz wrote:Does the cover feature an imposing looking Dracula looming over the hunters, or a goofy as hell Dracula grinning at you? Those would be second and third editions, respectfully. If it was in a store, it's probably third. Third does not have good cover art.
It was the goofy grinner. Good to know, thanks! :)
-mf
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I still have the first release of FoD, with the metal minis. Fond memories of this game, but not fond enough to try and track down the new version.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
Chaz wrote:Does the cover feature an imposing looking Dracula looming over the hunters, or a goofy as hell Dracula grinning at you? Those would be second and third editions, respectfully. If it was in a store, it's probably third. Third does not have good cover art.
It's like you guys have never seen a vampire before.

Enlarge Image
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

No need to track it down. I have the Second and Third Editions of Fury. The Third plays slightly better but the board is less sharp.

I was planning to sell my Second Edition to make room, so scarcity will hopefully offset part of the cost of finishing my Talisman set.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I really would like to know who approved the cover of Fury. The rest of the art is appropriately dark and generally well done, but the cover looks straight out of a low-budget B movie.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Fury of Dracula (third edition) cover art

Definitely a peculiar choice, particularly considering the title of the game; certainly doesn't conjure up my idea of 'fury'.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Still seems pretty dark to me, that smile looks more sinister than friendly. I don't mind the 3rd edition art at all.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I think the 3rd edition cover could have worked if they just omitted Dracula. Or possibly just had some glowing eyes faded in the background above the castle. As it is, he makes me think more creepy rapist than a force of evil throughout all of Europe.

That and I rather like the 2nd edition cover.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In an unrelated observation, Fantasy Flight could repurpose the 3rd edition box art for a game titled "Dr. Acula - Evil CEO of Blood Inc."
Maybe next year, maybe no go
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

That looks more like "Fury of Liberace."
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
Dammit, I just noticed that I typed "respectfully" when I meant "respectively". I hate screwing up like that. I blame the baby keeping me awake at night.

I keep being tempted to put in a massive order for a ton of Talisman stuff. Then I remember that I have Relic, which is better Talisman. Then I think "but what if people aren't down with the 40k theme, and the fantasy theme would go better?" Then I remember that it's not like I really have people together to play either game, so having two of basically the same game would be dumb. And, getting the base game plus reaper and all four corner expansions would cost a lot. So I'm good.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote:That looks more like "Fury of Liberace."
hepcat wrote:Liberace Dracula is the latest edition, right?
Great minds think alike. :wink:
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Haha, sorry hep. Didn't read the first page of the thread. Guess if two people came up with it independently, though, it must be true!
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Yea my Warhammer Card Game expansion characters came in! Now I can leave them in the packaging and make ez $$$ (or just play with them... [WINKING FACE])
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I need to run through the campaign with a Witch Hunter.
Covfefe!
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I picked up Fury of Dracula just because of this announcement. I always wanted to try it and I'm guessing it will be out of print for some time after this so, I have it now.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Archinerd wrote:I bought both of the expansions for Blood Bowl Team Manager.
I'm kind of having buyers remorse though. I like the game, but I don't know if I like the game $50 more.
Well, turns out only one of the two expansions shipped. The other was out of stock.
I ended up getting only the Foul Play expansion and not the one that adds the additional Undead teams. I may check around one last time to see if I can find it for a decent price but if not I'll just have to find some way to get by without having it in my life.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

If anyone was looking for Blood Bowl Team Manager, you can order through Amazon right now. They're saying the base game and Sudden Death expansion will be restocked on the 27th. Base is $29, expansion is $25, prime shipping on both. No sign of Foul Play.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Archinerd wrote:
Archinerd wrote:I bought both of the expansions for Blood Bowl Team Manager.
I'm kind of having buyers remorse though. I like the game, but I don't know if I like the game $50 more.
Well, turns out only one of the two expansions shipped. The other was out of stock.
I ended up getting only the Foul Play expansion and not the one that adds the additional Undead teams. I may check around one last time to see if I can find it for a decent price but if not I'll just have to find some way to get by without having it in my life.
Call Gaming Goat in Schaumburg. If they have it, I can stop by and pick it up during lunch one day and give it to you later.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And a little over a year later, Wizkids and Games Workshop announce partnership:
The multi-year deal will span numerous categories and include the most iconic Warhammer 40,000 characters and more. WizKids will create two new board games, along with dice games based in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, with additional plans to republish classic board games Fury of Dracula and Relic.

WizKids will begin rolling out the new product lines in mid 2018.
This really surprises me.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Smoove_B wrote:And a little over a year later, Wizkids and Games Workshop announce partnership:
The multi-year deal will span numerous categories and include the most iconic Warhammer 40,000 characters and more. WizKids will create two new board games, along with dice games based in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, with additional plans to republish classic board games Fury of Dracula and Relic.

WizKids will begin rolling out the new product lines in mid 2018.
This really surprises me.
That's a big downgrade. Wiz kids is the very poor man's Fantasy flight.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, when I think "Wizkids", I am always expecting a lower quality product. Their components are...cheap.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Never underestimate the sales of all those heroclix and dice masters iterations. Remember, FFG copied the dice masters design and sales strategy with Destiny.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Chrisoc13 wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:22 am
Wiz kids is the very poor man's Fantasy flight.
:ninja:
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The WizKids edition of Fury of Dracula is out now. It looks almost exactly like the FFG edition, with the addition of painted miniatures.

That's, uh, quite an upgrade.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Those figures were easy to paint. :)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

From reading on BGG the miniatures are notably larger as well as painted. Beyond that it seems the rulebook has been changed slightly, not sure if it's for the better or not. Player reference boards are a thicker cardboard as well.

There's a complaint on BGG that the card backs for the event cards are slightly different in a bad way. There are hunter cards and vampire cards in that deck that are supposed to have identical card backs except for an icon in the center... but it seems the vampire cards are darker. This is a problem as cards are sometimes drawn from the bottom of the deck (without knowing if it's a hunter or vampire card) and the difference is apparently noticeable from the side or if the cards spread out a bit when you draw from the bottom.

Sounds a little like typical OCD gamer nitpicking but there's an important gameplay mechanic in drawing from the bottom and this could be a problem. I painted my 3rd Edition miniatures so I'm overall happy with the copy I have.