College students and their safe space

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: College students and their safe space

Post by Blackhawk »

They got into Yale?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Kraken wrote:
Moliere wrote:Part IV: Yale Students and Nicholas Kristachis

I can't decide whether I should laugh or cry when I see these students accost administrators about safe spaces.
I have no context for this video. What horrible offense did this monster commit?
There's actually a good article in the Atlantic from may of this year about it. I'm on my phone now but when I'm by a computer I'll try and drop a link to it.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Chrisoc13 wrote:
Kraken wrote:
Moliere wrote:Part IV: Yale Students and Nicholas Kristachis

I can't decide whether I should laugh or cry when I see these students accost administrators about safe spaces.
I have no context for this video. What horrible offense did this monster commit?
There's actually a good article in the Atlantic from may of this year about it. I'm on my phone now but when I'm by a computer I'll try and drop a link to it.
Since Isgrimnur seems to be on vacation I will do his job for him:

The Perils of Writing a Provocative Email at Yale
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Haha thanks that's the one. I'm at work without a computer currently so I too was slacking.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Holy mother of pearl, the details are far worse than the video conveys.

These people are freakin' doomed when they hit the real world.

The "controversy" is that the wife was critical of the administration taking the lead on what is appropriate or not, instead of treating the student body as people who are responsible enough to decide what's right for them.

i.e. she was critical of the administration treating the students as children instead of adults.

What a hilarious miscarriage of justice. I feel terrible for them.

I'll be honest, I had no idea this sort of thing was going on or how serious the consequences were (their jobs have been impacted). I figured grown ups would be able to guide and limit overzealousness. Gah.

From the video I particularly liked when one student explained how free speech works. "I talk, you listen."
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

This is why my kids are getting a healthy dose of the following.
I am the boss of you now, and that's ok.
No, the world isn't fair.
Toughen up, Buttercup.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I know about nothing about safe spaces, so I have no opinion on that but...

Whatever to the email. I can see where it opens a dialog that turns into a debate where emotions run high.

but...

Yale? This is representative of the student body at Yale? Yale's got problems with admissions unless that truly indicative of 18-22 years olds in this country, which is not my (limited) experience. That's not evidence of tomorrow's leadership. That's evidence of tomorrow's :roll: who can't hold a job because they insist they are mistreated for not being awarded advantage.

"you don't know my name?"
"You take care of me?"
"I talk and you listen?"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Please. You're a huge softy with your girls.

Your wife, however? She'll bestow humility on them. :P
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere wrote: Since Isgrimnur seems to be on vacation I will do his job for him:
Work conference where myself and my minion get to bring back answers to support the system administrators' information needs as well as the other business units.

Makes for full days.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:Makes for full days.
I hope your company provides a safe place for you to unwind, play with Play-Doh, and meditate.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I tacked on three days to my flight so I can vacate in SD with the wife.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Moliere wrote:I hope your company provides a safe place for you to unwind, play with Play-Doh, and meditate.
Tell them it's for the millennials, but add that to the list of action items.
Last edited by Zarathud on Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:I tacked on three days to my flight so I can vacate in SD with the wife.
You vacation in South Dakota? :think:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

LordMortis wrote:I know about nothing about safe spaces, so I have no opinion on that but...

Whatever to the email. I can see where it opens a dialog that turns into a debate where emotions run high.

but...

Yale? This is representative of the student body at Yale? Yale's got problems with admissions unless that truly indicative of 18-22 years olds in this country, which is not my (limited) experience. That's not evidence of tomorrow's leadership. That's evidence of tomorrow's :roll: who can't hold a job because they insist they are mistreated for not being awarded advantage.

"you don't know my name?"
"You take care of me?"
"I talk and you listen?"
I will say that focus on these sorts of topics is what happens when young intellectuals start exploring that intellect. It could have taken many forms, but in this case it's a warped sense of social justice. That warping could simply be from their rarified intellectual environment.

With decades and centuries of society moving away from racism, sexism and open offense in general, it's possible that these kids expect (mistakenly) perfection from the world around them and when it's not, they believe they are justified in going to war over it. That leads to seeing fault everywhere (even where there isn't any) and being outraged by it.

I mean, honestly. My generation didn't really have any social injustices of their own, so we continued the work of the generation that came before us. We made progress, so while the same issues exist today, they are far less than they were for my generation, and much, much less than they were for the generation before mine. That means getting upset over misunderstanding (wilfully or not) this kind of petty crap and going to war. Burning crosses is no longer a national passtime. Separate drinking fountains? Gone. The "crimes" of social injustice are just less than they've ever been.

But I guess if Drumpf and crew have their way, there will be a resurgence of injustices for people to rage against. Great.
stessier

Post by stessier »

As the Atlantic article says, the girl in the video was considered by many to be smart and thoughtful, she just got carried away by emotion. I could see that happening to anyone. It would be interesting to follow up with her and see what she thinks now that she has had time to reflect.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I've known many smart and thoughtful people who's thoughts were different from the thoughts of other smart and thoughtful people.

When something like this video happens, we often say she or her thoughts were "misguided". We say that if we want to be polite.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bless her heart.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Canadian college student feeling threatened by someone wearing a hat that says "Make America Great Again", calling it hate speech.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

The pussification of America is complete. In a generation we will welcome our Russian, Cuban, and Nicaraguan conquerors!

WOLVERINES!!!
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

It's good you're electing an ambassador in good standing with Russia already then.

He might be able to get some concessions for the slave miners.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Not in a generation -- now. Trump will effectively destroy decades of political goodwill and the story of well intentioned American exceptionalism. Only Russia will benefit.

It boggles my mind the college vote isn't rallying against Trump. Maybe this "safe space" stuff isn't as prevalent as its news coverage.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I think we have to point to Bernie for that effect. They were very enthusiastic for him. Maybe he should have tempered his language and downplayed his chance at securing the nomination in the face of the Trumpocalypse instead of creating incredible enthusiasm with the concomitant let down when that evaporated. We'll have to wait and see if it really was Bernie or bust for many young folks.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

In the Safe Spaces on Campus, No Jews Allowed
But their experiences as Jewish students at the SOCC would soon inspire a rude awakening: the campus progressives who were fighting for justice on college campuses for students of color weren’t only ignoring anti-Semitism and attacks on Jewish identity—they were sometimes the ones perpetuating it.

This was quickly made clear on the first day at a session called “Existence is Resistance,” hosted by leaders of UC San Diego’s SJP chapter. Students discussed the boycott of Israel as an issue of urgency for students of color. Rosenberg and Mokhtarzadeh told me that they originally had no intention to engage in dialogue about Israel at the conference, but they were horrified at how attacks on Israel soon devolved into attacks on the Jews. “The session went way beyond the boundaries of what was appropriate or truthful at the SOCC,” Rosenberg recalled.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hilarious.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

malchior wrote:I think we have to point to Bernie for that effect. They were very enthusiastic for him. Maybe he should have tempered his language and downplayed his chance at securing the nomination in the face of the Trumpocalypse instead of creating incredible enthusiasm with the concomitant let down when that evaporated. We'll have to wait and see if it really was Bernie or bust for many young folks.
But that's part of the problem. They have been coddled all their lives, with the participation trophies and "at least you tried" crap. So now they are proud to stand by their principles and say, "well, I wanted Bernie to win, Hillary beat Bernie, I'm not voting for her!"

Yeah...that's cute.

Except that's not how the real world works. They are just too stupid to understand the concept of a binary choice. Because when they were little, their parents politely asked them what they would like for dinner instead of making them eat whatever everyone else in the family was eating (or at least giving them a couple of choices and making them pick one).

Because their high schools didn't mandate the choice of electives, so they took "Leadership techniques" (sorry, not everyone is cut out to be a leader) or "Basic computer skills" (when they've been using a computer longer than the teacher).

Now they need their "safe spaces" because they are completely unequipped to deal with criticism and harsh issues. They don't even know how to walk away from someone they disagree with (like that student in Moliere's link). Everything has to be filmed, posted on social media, and dissected because they need others to validate their "feeling" about the situation.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Do you have a millennial unable to cope with adulthood? Do you have an extra $27,500 a month? Then this is the clinic for you.
[Yellowbrick] is aimed at people roughly between the ages of 18 and 30, some of whom suffer from a Problem only recently attributed to American youth: the failure to launch from childhood onto the shores of something recognizably, functionally adult.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This reminds me I had a good "conversation" (technically a group chat) over the weekend about how they wouldn't be able to remake PCU now - but that they should. David Spade as the Dean. Balls and Shaft with a shrine to Trump. The mob has safe space/trigger warning signs, full of 4chaners and Redditors, alt right folks, etc. Academia would burn the theater down.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image

Are these signs directed at Trump? Maybe some other evil conservative/Republican? Nope.

Students at Reed college are protesting Kim Peirce, the gay director of the movie "Boys Don’t Cry". A movie that tells the story of the gender variant Brandon Teena who was raped and murdered. The Left is literally figuratively eating itself into absurdity.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

These students raise the following objections to the film some fifteen years after its release:

* First, younger trans oriented audiences want to know if Peirce herself is trans. And they understand her as a non-trans person who is making money from the representation of violence against transgender bodies.
* Second, they ask about the casting of a non-trans identified actor in the role of Brandon and wonder why a transgender man was not cast to play Brandon.
* Third, students in particular have objected to the graphic depiction of rape in the film and feel that the scene is poorly orchestrated and the film is too mired in the pathologization and violation and punishment of transgender bodies.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Isgrimnur wrote:
These students raise the following objections to the film some fifteen years after its release:

* First, younger trans oriented audiences want to know if Peirce herself is trans. And they understand her as a non-trans person who is making money from the representation of violence against transgender bodies.
* Second, they ask about the casting of a non-trans identified actor in the role of Brandon and wonder why a transgender man was not cast to play Brandon.
* Third, students in particular have objected to the graphic depiction of rape in the film and feel that the scene is poorly orchestrated and the film is too mired in the pathologization and violation and punishment of transgender bodies.
Yes, I read the article too. The author responds to all of them.

Either way, does yelling "Fuck you bitch!" at a female gay director of the ground breaking trans-sympathetic movie a way to advance the dialogue about the LGBTQ movement?
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

There is a distinct lack of grown-ups around these students that can just stand up and tell them to stop being idiots.

This is like demanding that only family members of Holocaust survivors are allowed to make movies about Jews in WWII.

There can always be an argument about how graphic any particular scene can be made in a movie, and the director will usually give their reasons for making it one way or another. But for that, obviously, there has to be an intelligent discussion (and even then, usually the only recourse for the "offended party" is to not watch the movie). These whiny millenials can't wrap their mind around common sense.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Moliere wrote:Yes, I read the article too.
I didn't quote it for you. :P
geezer

Post by geezer »

Moliere wrote:Enlarge Image

Are these signs directed at Trump? Maybe some other evil conservative/Republican? Nope.

Students at Reed college are protesting Kim Peirce, the gay director of the movie "Boys Don’t Cry". A movie that tells the story of the gender variant Brandon Teena who was raped and murdered. The Left is literally figuratively eating itself into absurdity.
For this being representatives of "the left," most of us radical commie pinko lefties here at OO have an awfully harsh opinion of these folks. I'd say, if fact, that most of us fall far more on your side of the opinion curve than that of these students.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

VMI, Famed Military Academy, Giving Cadets Coloring Books for Stress
The school said “peer educators” will still provide “Stress Busters” programs for students, which includes an event that lets cadets color.

“Stress Busters is held on Reading Day of each semester,” the school said. “This is an opportunity for cadets to unwind and relax before studying for finals. This event often includes stress reduction activities such as yoga, therapy dogs, coloring book stations, card/game stations, and grab-and-go snacks to take with you on your way to study!”

The school’s Cadet Peer Educators program offers a “bystander intervention” program to teach cadets to “identify barriers to bystander intervention, establish skills/techniques to intervene, and to provide [Virginia Military Institute] and Lexington resources to all cadets in attendance.”

The school also posts flyers on health in bathroom stalls.

“VMI once took America’s youth and prepared them for duty and the harsh realities of war,” a VMI alumnus and veteran told the Washington Free Beacon. “Now, for $20k a year, VMI will turn your teenagers back into children.”
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

On one side, it's important to teach young adults how to cope with stress - it's a good skill to have, and if that involves you chilling with a coloring book, nothing wrong with that. However, I think the common theme here is that these programs don't actually equip the students with the life skill, they just encourage more hand-holding which creates a vicious cycle of young people that are incapable of thriving in life when you take away their emotional crutch (whether that crutch be a parent, a peer counselor, a shrink, or their imaginary friend).
Holman

Post by Holman »

I can't help thinking that most of the "safe space" anecdotes making the rounds are inflated or stripped of context. I've worked on six campuses in the past sixteen years, and I don't see signs that students are the crippled babies we're always hearing described.

I think the fringes and extremes are being mistaken for the core, sometimes in order to de-legitimize real concerns.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Holman wrote:I can't help thinking that most of the "safe space" anecdotes making the rounds are inflated or stripped of context. I've worked on six campuses in the past sixteen years, and I don't see signs that students are the crippled babies we're always hearing described.

I think the fringes and extremes are being mistaken for the core, sometimes in order to de-legitimize real concerns.
I would agree. While it sounds terrible, the generation that is decrying these babies put up with and propogated a bunch of terrible shit, in the name of sucking it up.

I don't know the answer, but if growing up means putting the world in the shape it's in, old people might want to shut the fuck up. Nah, bitching about our children being pussies is too much fun.

Did conservative bootstraps get us here or did progressive innovation? Competition or collaboration?

Are our infantile youth going to flounder without hard realities or thrive without restraints of the machine?
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Rip

Post by Rip »

Defiant wrote:On Campus, Trump Fans Say They Need ‘Safe Spaces’

I find the irony amusing.
I think that is kinda the point. An irony used to expose the hypocrisy.