Gaming monitor recommendations?

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Grifman

Gaming monitor recommendations?

Post by Grifman »

Ok, have a new PC, now I think I need a new monitor. Any recommendations? Do I need one of those new 4k types? Looking for something under $500. Talk to me :)
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Re: Gaming monitor recommendations?

Post by Daehawk »

Bout anything works as a gaming monitor now days. Dont need a 4k and if you got one you'd need a video card to drive it. Im using a 30" ultrawide from Asus that was around $400 at the time .Cheaper now.

This is mine

Asus MX299Q

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I've got the video card to drive it :)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Then you would see some benefit with a 4k monitor. The wisdom that I've read says that 4k for TVs is indistinguishable much of the time due to viewing distance, but we sit close enough to monitors that it does look a little better if you have the money for it.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I picked up a new 1080p monitor a couple of years ago, so I haven't been shopping for a monitor in a while. However, the little bit of info I've been seeing here and there gives me the idea that there are two things to think about: 4k and HDR. In other words, I probably wouldn't buy a 4k anything that also wasn't HDR capable.

The tricky part there is that there are two HDR formats, so which one do you pick? It's that same old scam, bring out multiple competing standards, people spend money, then later one of those standards becomes worthless. Not only that, but HDR itself could turn out to be pointless if it doesn't catch on. The problem is I'd be annoyed with myself if I bought a 4k monitor these days without HDR and it did become a thing.
stessier

Post by stessier »

How long are you going to keep the monitor? There is what - 1 game that kinda supports HDR right now? Even 4k support is not widespread. I suspect you'd be pretty happy with standard 1080p type resolution in most circumstances.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote:Dont forget theres 8k and 10k too Link
We are quickly approaching the point where the differences in resolution are indistinguishable to human eyes and become a marketing gimmick.

Fixed your link, too.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

What are your computer specs? That will inform what kind of resolution you can manage. If you're wanting to run high settings and 4k then you'll probably need dual gtx 1080's. If you want to run less than 4k but at 144hz then you'll need a gtx 1070. For 1080p 60hz you can get by with a gtx 1060.

Then there's ultra-wide, which doesn't have widespread (no pun intended) support.

Personally I'd go with either Acer, Asus, or BenQ. I'd also prefer 144hz over 4k, but that's just me.

Edit - Oh, yeah, you also want to figure out G-Sync (nvidia) or FreeSync (amd).
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

cheeba wrote:For 1080p 60hz you can get by with a gtx 1060.
...or any other card capable of running a game.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Blackhawk wrote:
cheeba wrote:For 1080p 60hz you can get by with a gtx 1060.
...or any other card capable of running a game.
Unlike me, you obviously haven't just gotten rid of an AMD 5770 :).
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

If I had it to do over, I would get this today: http://slickdeals.net/f/9040195-34-dell ... BarV2Algo1

Dell UltraSharp 34 Curved Monitor – U3415W

Unfortunately, before that kind of monitor came out, I wanted to do the multi monitor deal, and bought three 1900x1200 (or rather, two more, I already had one), and just did not realize the massive horsepower that resolution (5700x1200) needs to run well, AND the whole bezel deal. Really screwed up, there, but fortunately, I bought older model monitors, or open box in one case, so didn't spend a fortune on the other two.
katty

Post by katty »

ASUS makes a good gaming monitor. I have the 24 inch
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Are curved monitors better for gaming?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was thinking they were better for slashing :mrgreen:
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My experience with a curved tv is that any light source behind you will be reflected at you in a vertical line across the screen, whereas a regular screen only reflects the point source.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Don't know if you've made a decision yet, but I saw this article on Ars and thought of you.

From The Wirecutter: The best 4K monitors (so far)
After spending 37 hours researching 22 4K monitors and testing eight finalists, we’ve found that the Dell P2715Q is the best 4K monitor. Recent improvements in technology and drops in pricing make a 4K monitor a good buy if you’re willing to live with some quirks, but it still isn’t something most people need.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

stessier wrote:Don't know if you've made a decision yet, but I saw this article on Ars and thought of you.

From The Wirecutter: The best 4K monitors (so far)
After spending 37 hours researching 22 4K monitors and testing eight finalists, we’ve found that the Dell P2715Q is the best 4K monitor. Recent improvements in technology and drops in pricing make a 4K monitor a good buy if you’re willing to live with some quirks, but it still isn’t something most people need.
Not yet, thanks!
Jag

Post by Jag »

G-Sync all the way baby.

Got the Acer XB270HU and didn't look back (you can never look back).

This site is helpful for monitor research.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/
katty

Post by katty »

There's only a couple top of the line gaming monitors, what games do you play?
storz

Post by storz »

Finally got my HP Omen 32" monitor form the Turkey day order, just a quick impression:

This monitor is huge compare to my old 24" Dell IPS :horse: :wub: . 1440P is pretty nice. I picked 1440P instead of 4K, because I don't think 1070 GTX can drive 4K @ full glory.

I didn't notice any input lag, but you do have to adjust the response time @ OSD under image control to get the 5ms fastest response time, otherwise it default @ 7ms.

Colors looks great. Not quite as nice as my previous glossy IPS, but still great, and no backlight bleed and dead pixel as far as I can tell. I also didn't notice PWM flickering issue noted by others. Maybe I'm not sensitive to the PWM flickering.

I have no trouble set refresh rate to 75hz, and I didn't notice frame skip when I played WatchDogs 2 on 1070 GTX, I wish I had a AMD card, so I can take advantage of freesync.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I don't think it's considered a gaming monitor, but I picked up a SE2717H for $132. It's 1080P, but I'm mitigating that some by downsampling my desktop and games from 1440p. That combined with an AMD Freesync, and I'm getting really smooth 60fps. I think it looks great. Another trade off is that the only inputs are VGA and HDMI.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

One of my 2nd hand salvage monitors died on me too. I took the LG 22 inch that used to belong to downstairs PC (it still has the 19 inch 2nd hand salvage) and set it up on my upstairs PC.

I guess I should go check for another monitor, hehehe.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How does all your hardware know its Christmas there Kasey? :)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Hah. My dad's Dell Dimension died a couple months back and I gave him the HP I got. Now the HP is on its last legs (can't even run Win 10 after a full reset) and looks like I have to relocate the upstairs secondary PC. Maybe I should troll Salvation Army for another 2nd hand monitor...
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Spent the last year with only 1 monitor but I think it's time to get a second one. I spent years with 2 monitors and I miss it.

So now I have to figure out what to get.

AB, if you're reading this, what monitor should I pair with my 980gtx?
Dogstar

Post by Dogstar »

With Black Friday coming up and a new system on the way, it's time to update the old monitor from 2012. I do mainly strategy (Stellaris)/RPG (Witcher 3)/ FPS (Fallout 4) games. It's going to be driven by a 6GB 1060. I don't need to necessarily grab anything beyond a 1080 resolution, but if the price is right, I could be persuaded to go higher. Looking to spend no more than $200, $220 in a pinch and have a screen size of 24 inches. I've heard ASUS, Dell, and LG are good brands. So is IPS important? Is having 144 refresh rate more critical? Any monitors you'd recommend that fit the profile? All help/info is appreciated!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm still using a 17" 4:3 Samsung SyncMaster LCD with no digital inputs that was introduced in the year 2000 that i got for $30 off Craigslist in 2008. on my gaming machine. it has an analog TV tuner built in. it's probably time to upgrade... but i can't believe it's 17 years old and still working fine. (tho its original MSRP was $1,600 !!)
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

What is the hive-mind thought on using a 32" TV as a monitor? I got a Vizio D32x-D1, and it's en route today or tomorrow. I don't do a lot of multiplayer or "competitive" gaming, just mostly ARPG and strategy games, with the occasional foray into Skyrim or Fallout. It's listed as one of the top ones to game with on a few sites, but I thought I'd ask on here as I value y'all's opinion more than most regarding this kinda thing.

If it doesn't work out, I'm planning on returning it and setting that money aside for either a newer gaming rig or a VR PS4.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Hyena wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:18 pm What is the hive-mind thought on using a 32" TV as a monitor? I got a Vizio D32x-D1, and it's en route today or tomorrow. I don't do a lot of multiplayer or "competitive" gaming, just mostly ARPG and strategy games, with the occasional foray into Skyrim or Fallout. It's listed as one of the top ones to game with on a few sites, but I thought I'd ask on here as I value y'all's opinion more than most regarding this kinda thing.

If it doesn't work out, I'm planning on returning it and setting that money aside for either a newer gaming rig or a VR PS4.
Depends on what kind of resolution it can handle. If you can't go above 1920x1080 on a 32" screen, and you are sitting close to it...it will not be pretty. Also, TVs usually handle refresh rates and input lag worse than computer monitors, but technology has improved - if it's been recommended for gaming by the sites that you checked, maybe it's not an issue with this model.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Last edited by Daehawk on Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Appreciate the input, Gilraen! I'll check that site out when I get home, Daehawk.
"You laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at you because you're all the same." ~Jonathan Davis

"The object of education is to prepare the young to educate themselves throughout their lives." ~Robert M. Hutchins
Hyena

Post by Hyena »

Update on TV-as-monitor, it came in and looks awesome. Played a few games last night, including Skyrim and Titan Quest (I know, it's old but there's a new class...). No lag whatsoever, and transitions seamlessly from monitor to Netflix etc. Needed a HDMI-to-Mini HDMI converter cable, but again that was an easy fix.

However, there is an obvious and noticeable semi-circle deadzone about the size of half a quarter in the upper left side of the screen right on the edge. There's no visible damage to the outside casing of the TV, so I don't *believe* it was damaged during transit, but I was wondering is there any way to fix it? I've looked online for pixel damage, but most sites talk about fixing an individual pixel, not a larger dead zone like the one I have.

GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Gonna piggy back on this thread.

Looking for a midrange gaming monitor. Seems like BenQ have fallen out of favour?

I see Asus pushed in several places. Opinions?

Need 24"+, 100-144 refresh, something higher than 1080p, ips would be nice but not required, 1-2ms response time probably. G-sync nice but not required.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

GreenGoo wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:49 pm Gonna piggy back on this thread.

Looking for a midrange gaming monitor. Seems like BenQ have fallen out of favour?

I see Asus pushed in several places. Opinions?

Need 24"+, 100-144 refresh, something higher than 1080p, ips would be nice but not required, 1-2ms response time probably. G-sync nice but not required.
GreenGoo:

I received your heads-up. Regarding the Asus VG248QE you were considering, one caveat is that it lacks PWM-free / flicker-free technology. That's important as it helps prevent eye-strain if you intend to spend a significant amount of time in front of it. So in that price range, I'd suggest instead considering the AOC G2460PF, the ASUS MG248Q, and ViewSonic XG2401, all of which also include PWM-free / flicker-free technology.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks very much AB.

I was going to ask about AOC. I had never heard of them before but now they are all over the place, and people seem to like their products.

I'll take a look at your recommended, although I'm starting to creep up in price as I try to cram everything I want into the monitor.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I wish I were rich. I'm looking at this monitor.

ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q 27" 2560x1440 IPS 165Hz 4ms G-SYNC Eye Care Gaming Monitor with DP and HDMI ports

This is probably the monitor I will buy.

AOC AGON AG271QG 27” Gaming Monitor, G-SYNC, QHD (2560x1440), IPS Panel, 165Hz, 4ms, Height Adjustable, DisplayPort, HDMI, USB

BestBuy has it for $950
Canada Computers has it for $849ish (I will get Bestbuy to price match this if possible)
Amazon.ca has it for $600 + $160 shipping. Obviously I will look at this closer to see who I'm actually buying it from. I'd prefer to stay away from any flybynight resellers. edit: This was the amazon.com price, so $US. My bad. Turns out to be around $940ish $CAN.

Amazon.ca has it for $849 (seller is Canada Computers, see above). I can't see what the shipping charge would be, if any.

Looks like I'll be seeing if BestBuy will price match.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I ended up buying the AOC, and I've been very impressed. However, I noticed something very weird lately. So weird, I don't even know where to start looking for information on it.

It appears as if a tiny vertical slice a few pixels wide has been taken from the center of the screen, and then pasted onto the right side of the screen, with the parts on either side of the slice being spliced back together. i.e. there is no discernible gap in the middle of the screen. It's the absence of a few pixels.

It's almost unnoticeable except for when a font gets distorted by being cut in 1/2 or whatever. The slice on the right side is very noticeable but has almost zero impact on my viewing experience.

It's like the pixels addressed for the middle of the screen have been remapped to the right side of the screen. I'm not even sure it's the monitor. It could be a glitch in the video card, possibly a driver issue?

So weird.

My first instinct was a manufacturing defect but who knows.

edit: Google's first hit was an Acer forum with the exact same issue, talking specifically about the g-sync part of the monitor. My AOC monitor is also a g-sync monitor and I am running g-sync at the moment. While I haven't had a chance to read up on it, my instinct now is that it's a driver issue. Which actually makes me happy because then I don't have to RMA the monitor and software fixes are someone else's problem but when solved are easy (for the user) to implement.

edit2: Word is it's a firmware issue caused at the screen manufacturer level, so that's even before it gets to the monitor manufacturer, and explains why so many different monitor brands experience the problem (fyi, a lot of different monitor brands have/had this problem). The solution so far is to RMA it and get the firmware installed by the manufacturer. I'm hoping there is another way, because I sure as hell don't want to RMA it and lose access to it for a month+.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I never did solve this problem, but I haven't finished looking into it.

I read a forum post where a dude says if you don't alt-tab much, you won't see the problem very often, and if you do alt-tab a lot, you'll see it more often but alt-tabbing again normally fixes it. If you alt-tab a lot, one more alt-tab is barely noticeable.

I agree with this guy. I alt-tab constantly and alt-tabbing fixes the problem (it also causes the problem) so it's barely an issue. Oh, and it's alt-tabbing to/from a dedicated full screen app and anything else. alt-tabbing between windowed apps doesn't cause the problem, nor does it fix the problem. So standard desktop productivity stuff doesn't cause the issue at all.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Will that get worse down the road? If I had any little niggle bothering me Id send it back while I still had time and get something else.