Mechs vs Minions - Co-op Programming board game from Riot

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Riot is the company responsible for League of Legends, which apparently is the biggest game on the planet. (I have no idea, I've heard of it, but I don't do MOBA)

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/featur ... s#overview

It's only being sold directly through Riot starting 10/13.

The interesting thing about this game is that it looks like a super-deluxe kickstarter game with metal bits and pre-painted minis, but it's only $75.

It's a programming game that evolves over the course of the game, you modify your program 1-2 cards per round and when you take damage it screws up your program. You will kill dozens of minions, but they will screw up your program and you will struggle to make it work for you.

It looks like it has a campaign of 10 different missions. I have no idea if things carry over from mission to mission.

If you aren't LM (and like programming games), you might want to take a look.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Re: Mechs vs Minions - Co-op Programming board game from Rio

Post by Lordnine »

Yeah I saw this being discussed in a bunch of places. Production values look amazing and gameplay impressions seem pretty favorable already. I might pick it up but I wish it were five players.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote:If you aren't LM (and like programming games), you might want to take a look.
HEEEEYYYYY
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

A boardgame with a soundtrack?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Polygon has a pretty interesting article on the game's development. Last year, they brought out two prominent game reviewers (Tom Vasel and Quintin Smith) to consult on what they thought was the final design.
"We had Tom come out first," Cantrell said. "At the end he said, ‘I don’t know why you’re worried. I think you’ve got a great game!’ We were doing high-fives. And I remember somebody even asking, ‘Well, do we still even want Quintin to come out?’ But he already had his flight, so we might as well.

"Quintin came and he played it, and he said, ‘I’ll be honest. I loved it. ... But frankly I don’t think I’d ever play it again.’" Smith declined to be interviewed for this article.

Cantrell says that during the second day of his visit, Smith's input helped to change the creative direction for the entire game. He was the one who recommended modular game boards so that each session could be different, and brought up the idea of an ongoing campaign that would build a story arc over time.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LordMortis wrote:
coopasonic wrote:If you aren't LM (and like programming games), you might want to take a look.
HEEEEYYYYY
I'm just saying, based on what you've said regarding RoboRally that this game isn't for you. Especially when you add a timer to the drafting.
LordMortis wrote:A boardgame with a soundtrack?
???
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Just a reminder for anyone interested, this goes on sale tomorrow at 11am Pacific. I'm in despite the fact the box is too big to fit anywhere but on top of my shelves. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Assuming it doesn't sell out instantly I will probably be in for this one. I was originally going to pass since its 4 players max but the novelty and value proposition won me over.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

15000 copies is actually a lot for a board game so while I expect it to sell out I think it will be fine for a few days. All the same I'm logging in at exactly the time to grab it. Plus once it sells out they are putting up pre orders for the December print run.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah while that is a lot of copies, League of Legends is HUGE. I have no idea if the video game players would have any interest in this, but even a very small percentage would wipe out 15k in no time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

See almost every game from Flying Frog Games.
Covfefe!
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

hepcat wrote:
See almost every game from Flying Frog Games.
I appreciate games with sound tracks, especially when they are optional to use. Tokaido collectors edition comes with one too. I try to turn on music that matches the games I'm playing.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I thought about grabbing a copy, but I think I'll hold off for more "man on the street" type reviews. 80 bucks is a lot, and I've got way too many 2 player games now that I don't get to the table enough. :cry:
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:80 bucks is a lot, and I've got way too many 2 player games now that I don't get to the table enough. :cry:
2-4 players officially, 1-4 unofficially.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hmmm...solitaire capable, you say? Go on. :pop:
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote:Hmmm...solitaire capable, you say? Go on. :pop:
BGG thread with Riot commenting on solo gameplay
It's definitely possible to solitaire the game, but I wouldn't recommend it. Part of the interest comes from working with others and I don't know how much fun the puzzle nature of some missions would be to solve solo. It's possible, but your results may vary.

We playtested the entire game with 2, 3, and 4 players. Here are some major takeaways:

1. Mech power comes directly from command cards. The more cards you have slotted, the more power you have. Because each turn, you're drafting 4 cards total, your power level stays the same regardless of the number of players you have.
2. The game plays much more quickly and "arcadey" with 2 players compared to 4. 4 Is more about "Who can do this thing?" whereas 2 player mode is more about "I can do these things, what can you do?" The ramp of danger escalates faster in 4 players because you're unable to cut it off (lower per mech power level) whereas in 2 player mode, you have much more agency, but any mistake is punished much harder because there's only 2 of you.
3. 3 Player mode forces more coordination around who has the next major power spike as one player is drafting 2 cards each turn. It's a different but still cool experience, as drafting 2 cards feels really good.
4. Schematics lead to really spiky and interesting moments. One shots can be game changers (In one playtest I watched a corki destroy 25 minions in one turn. It was bananas) While persistent schematics create freedom in terms of you longer term planning and decision making. In hindsight, it may have been worth it to say 2 schematics per player per mission in 4 player games, 3 per player per mission in 3 player games, and 4 per player per mission in 2 player games, but that literally just occurred to me right now as I'm writing this post, and would have taken a long time to test. Maybe worth trying out on your own?

When we first began playtesting 2 player mode, we were pleasantly surprised that the game felt balanced and fun. We were expecting to design an entire separate set of 2 player rules, and due to the above takeways, it wasn't actually necessary for a good experience.

That's my 2 cents, hope it helps
There is more discussion include a little more back and forth with Riot. I'd suggest giving it a read.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

The SU&SD review makes it sound pretty good. I might pick up a copy down the line. If that's even possible.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was perusing some of the threads on the actual sale of the game and it sounds like they're going to sell through this run, and if there's still demand, they'll keep on making them. Another poster said he was actually going to wait until the second printing as he had heard there were some minor issues with the first run that Riot was hoping to address in later ones (if they occurred). Nothing show stopping at all, mind you. And second hand, so take it with a grain of salt.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Chaz wrote:The SU&SD review makes it sound pretty good. I might pick up a copy down the line. If that's even possible.
They have already planned a second print run. When that comes will depend on sales today, which include pre-orders for the second half of the first print run to be delivered later (December?).

It sounds like there was one mistake on a card in the first printing, but nothing huge and a few problems with the rulebook but nothing game breaking. The corrected rulebook will be posted online. They may offer reprints of the card, but nothing firm right now. Of course the game is only in a few hands at this point so we might see more identified later.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I may just wait for Coop and Chrisoc to report back on the game before making my decision. :wink:
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Looks like a cool game. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I would be able to play it often enough to justify the $75. So instead, I'll try to convince one of my friends to get it... :horse:
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I will definitely be trying it solo and twist Isgrimnur's arm to play as well.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Looks like a cool game. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I would be able to play it often enough to justify the $75. So instead, I'll try to convince one of my friends to get it... :horse:
I tried to do that with Seppe yesterday in a flurry of emails.

I failed. :cry:
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The twisting can be minimal.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I'm not that far away hep
I loved DP too! :P - ChesspieceFace
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

coopasonic wrote: Especially when you add a timer to the drafting.
You're right. That's the magic bullet I missed. Robo Rally is fine, even is I make embarrassing moves to spacial-relationally empathize with my robot. But the timer. I hate.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I have only played with the timer once or twice, many moons ago. It's an AP fighter, but not needed for the majority of games.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Harkonis wrote:I'm not that far away hep
Are you getting it? Or are you throwing your name in the hat for someone to play with if I do bite the bullet on this one? Cause either sounds good to me. :D
Covfefe!
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

going to be trying to get it
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oooh, count me in then.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It went up 4 minutes early and the site is getting crushed. I can't get to the checkout page.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

it's in the store, cart is lagging out though :(
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

In my cart but the server is not responding now. Awesome.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

I really didn't expect this type of issue from Riot considering the numbers they deal with for LoL all the time.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I looked, but decided to pass. Chances of me playing it are real low, and I was mostly buying in because it's nice looking, which is a dumb reason to buy a $75 game.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Harkonis wrote:I really didn't expect this type of issue from Riot considering the numbers they deal with for LoL all the time.
The web-store is likely on a very different system from their normal game servers. They probably normally handle a couple hundred or less orders a day and right now they are getting hit by a couple thousand.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Well I guess I'm giving up. An hour of refreshing and I got all the way to entering my card before it froze. Too much work I'll just pick it up later I guess.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Riot says they are selling through at about 40/min so they aren't sold out yet.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

coopasonic wrote:Riot says they are selling through at about 40/min so they aren't sold out yet.
I'm more annoyed at the waste of time so I might just pass for now.
Harkonis

Post by Harkonis »

Got one