[Obsidian] Tyranny

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Smoove_B

[Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Smoove_B »

Are we in a second golden age of isometric RPGs? Just saw this posted on Kotaku. Here is the official site and teaser trailer.
Details are scarce, but Obsidian says the game is set in a world where there was a grand struggle between good and evil—until evil won. “A nonlinear story challenges players to find their role within the dominant empire and live with the outcomes of difficult, morally unclear decisions,” the company said in a press release.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by Jaymann »

Looks sweet. I'm in unless bad review happens.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Indeed. Some of the better games I've played were set in times and places where evil was winning. Makes for some richer and less explored opportunities, I think.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote:“A nonlinear story challenges players to find their role within the dominant empire and live with the outcomes of difficult, morally unclear decisions,” the company said in a press release.
Sounds like a sequel to The Political Machine wherein Trump is victorious.
Black Lives Matter
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Jeff V wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:“A nonlinear story challenges players to find their role within the dominant empire and live with the outcomes of difficult, morally unclear decisions,” the company said in a press release.
Nah, that one's called Fallout.
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I love me some Obsidian games. Concept sounds pretty cool, I wonder if the game will stick with the Justice versus oppressor theme or if it will let you be an actual "good guy".
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Hmm, do I push this old lady down the stairs using my hands, a magical spell or my sword?
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was poking around on the site looking for more information, but other than a slightly interactive map there's nothing there. I was also surprised to see it's coming in 2016, which I guess means Q4 as I'd expect there to be a whole bunch more information if it was sooner. I really want to be interested, I just don't know if I can get into these isometric games anymore - particularly if it will be party-based.
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

NickAragua wrote:
Jeff V wrote:
Nah, that one's called Fallout.
Well-played, sir.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Update on Kotaku. I found this to possibly be the most interesting:
You don’t have to pick a character class. Progression is classless, which means that your character can learn and get better at any ability by performing it a bunch—and not that it’s an inconsiderate, pompous individual with no respect for the enchanting sport of badminton. Tyranny is kinda like The Elder Scrolls series, in that respect. This extends to persuasion options in conversation as well. Basically, Obsidian wants you to be able to play your way without having to fret that you might have made a “wrong” decision. It doesn’t hurt that “right” decisions include rogue-wizards and wise-cracking barbarians, either.
morlac

Post by morlac »

Smoove_B wrote:Update on Kotaku. I found this to possibly be the most interesting:
You don’t have to pick a character class. Progression is classless, which means that your character can learn and get better at any ability by performing it a bunch—and not that it’s an inconsiderate, pompous individual with no respect for the enchanting sport of badminton. Tyranny is kinda like The Elder Scrolls series, in that respect. This extends to persuasion options in conversation as well. Basically, Obsidian wants you to be able to play your way without having to fret that you might have made a “wrong” decision. It doesn’t hurt that “right” decisions include rogue-wizards and wise-cracking barbarians, either.
Other tidbits I have gathered In case not In the link above:

Skills improve only through use (this is a big one, not sure I like)
decisions made at very beginning of the game effect everything there after. quest, locations, etc.
real time pausable (no shocker)
Certain abilities only unlocked by your reputation
combat combos with companions, unlocked over time
Using POE engine
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

morlac wrote:Using POE engine
Hellooooooo five hour loading times!
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

E3 trailer -- From the Ashes
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

"Creating a World", Dev Diary 1
This is the first in a three-part video series about Tyranny, the upcoming role-playing game (RPG) for Windows, Mac, and Linux PCs. This video allow fans a rare look behind the scenes at Obsidian, featuring interviews and insights from the design team behind Tyranny as the developers share what it means to play in a realm where evil has conquered the known world, with looks at the level of effort and writing that have gone into creating such a reactive game. In this first of three installments, gamers everywhere will meet the lead designers of Tyranny and learn how the game’s concept came to be – and get a sneak peek at what is to come as they experience the game for themselves.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

November 10.

<insert "Two days after Evil's victory..." joke here>

tgb

Post by tgb »

Max Peck wrote:November 10.

<insert "Two days after Evil's victory..." joke here>
My first thought. I was going to post that the game might become redundant very quickly.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Looks neat.

However, since a) it's coming out so close to Final Fantasy XV and b) it's an Obsidian game, I'll be waiting a few months before giving it a shot.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

While a) isn't an issue for me, b) certainly is. LOL
-mf
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Dev Diary 3 video - Gameplay and Mechanics

malchior

Post by malchior »

After PoE this is a no brainer for me. However dropping Tyranny at the same time as Dishonored 2 is unfortunate for my wallet.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I grabbed it. I'm 0 for 2 in buying full priced games since my vow to stop buying full priced games. If this one bombs I'm hoping that will drive the lesson home.

I do love Obsidian games though, so I shouldn't be worried, but the lack of much talk anywhere has me wondering. Is the lack of a Kickstarter to generate interest in this one going to hurt it? Or is it just not that interesting to people?
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

Fitzy wrote:Is the lack of a Kickstarter to generate interest in this one going to hurt it?
I think this might be the main reason I'm confused about this game. It feels like it should have been a crowdfunded game, but because it's not I'm not really sure where it's coming from without doing research into it. A crowdfunding campaign would have given me a better understanding of what this game is for Obsidian, whereas now it feels like this might be a publisher-backed RPG instead, which could be both good and bad.
Insert witty comment here.
tgb

Post by tgb »

I haven't been following it, so this may be a really stupid question, but does it use the PoE engine?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

tgb wrote:I haven't been following it, so this may be a really stupid question, but does it use the PoE engine?
Looks like it. From the game's Wiki:
Tyranny uses a modified version of the Unity engine used as the basis of Pillars of Eternity.[1] Heins said that since most of the technical issues of graphics and rendering were also solved with Pillars, they were free to flesh out "a different type of RPG"
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one, and it will likely be my first purchase after FFXV is completed.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Skinypupy wrote: I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one, and it will likely be my first purchase after FFXV is completed.
So... by the time of next year's summer Steam sales? :wink:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

TiLT wrote:
Fitzy wrote:Is the lack of a Kickstarter to generate interest in this one going to hurt it?
I think this might be the main reason I'm confused about this game. It feels like it should have been a crowdfunded game, but because it's not I'm not really sure where it's coming from without doing research into it. A crowdfunding campaign would have given me a better understanding of what this game is for Obsidian, whereas now it feels like this might be a publisher-backed RPG instead, which could be both good and bad.
The publisher is Paradox, so I'm cautiously optimistic that they haven't meddled to the detriment of the game. And if nothing else, the low-key promotion means that nobody can say that the game has been overhyped. :)

Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I think my worry is partially about how good it will be, but also what happens if it's really good, but no one buys it? If it's a good game, I want Obsidian to be able to continue to make this type of game.

I did my part I guess. Hopefully Obsidian did theirs and it's a good game.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I haven't kept up on devs in ages.....is Obsidian some kinda low rent dev now? They were a big dev once. Why would this need a kick starter? Honestly the look and sound made me think its a Bioware game...or a new story in the Baldur's Gate world almost. Even seems like they have some of the old voice cast....or very close to it. I swear i hear Serevok.

I look forward to this. I want to try staying evil. Then again Ive owned Pillars forever and not played it but 30 min.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

baelthazar wrote:
Skinypupy wrote: I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one, and it will likely be my first purchase after FFXV is completed.
The game is actually complete and comes out the 29th. When I actually finish it (it's pretty massive, by all accounts) is another story.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Skinypupy wrote:
baelthazar wrote:
The game is actually complete and comes out the 29th. When I actually finish it (it's pretty massive, by all accounts) is another story.
Yeah, that is what I meant! I am sure it will take me months to complete the game (most FF games have over 200+ hours if you try to do and see it all).2
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The pre-load is up on Steam, weighing in at a paltry 4.8G.

Suitably Ironic Moniker

Post by Suitably Ironic Moniker »

It's preloading ~12.8G for me.
When I was a boy, I laid in my twin-sized bed and wondered where my brother was. - Mitch Hedberg
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Suitably Ironic Moniker wrote:It's preloading ~12.8G for me.
I double-checked and my download was just 4.8G. 12.8G sounds more like the amount of space it will require on the HDD after decrypting/decompression.
Enlarge Image

tgb

Post by tgb »

I've read that to complete the main quest and all the side quests there's approximately 35,000 hours of play time in the game.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

tgb wrote:I've read that to complete the main quest and all the side quests there's approximately 35,000 hours of play time in the game.
If that's case, if you focus on the game for 12 hours per day, it will keep you distracted until the end of the second term of the God-Emperor's reign. :coffee:

tgb

Post by tgb »

Max Peck wrote:
tgb wrote:I've read that to complete the main quest and all the side quests there's approximately 35,000 hours of play time in the game.
If that's case, if you focus on the game for 12 hours per day, it will keep you distracted until the end of the second term of the God-Emperor's reign. :coffee:
Spoiler:
I actually based the number on a single four year term. God help us if it's eight.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

If only this came out today... How appropriate would that be?

Anyway, I've been going back and forth on picking this up. I loved (loved) PoE--still using it as my avatar, even. But I never made time to go back and play the expansion. That said, I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy this one, and would like to support Obsidian.

Dilemmas.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zaxxon wrote:If only this came out today... How appropriate would that be?

Anyway, I've been going back and forth on picking this up. I loved (loved) PoE--still using it as my avatar, even. But I never made time to go back and play the expansion. That said, I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy this one, and would like to support Obsidian.

Dilemmas.
I bought it because I am a sucker for RPG's and I have liked almost all of Obsidians stuff. Preloaded it last night.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
malchior

Post by malchior »

Same here preload is complete. Subject matter feels oddly appropriate now.