Healthcare Increase!

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: Healthcare Increase!

Post by Isgrimnur »

And I almost had the snarky quote block ready. :P
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

BAM!

:wink:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:D
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

I can't complain too much, since having insurance has (at least temporarily) saved me from bankruptcy. My hospital bills last year alone totaled around $200,000.

So my new sheet this year has demoted everyone from BCBSND Blue Choice 90 to BCBSND Blue Saver 80. By doing that, they've managed to keep the premium cost this year close to the same as last year. Truthfully, I would have rather if they'd given me the option to keep my old plan, which was slated for a 28% increase (thanks in part to me I'm sure).

Last year deductible: $1,500 and 90/10
$25 co pay for doctor visits.
This year deductible: $2,600 and 80/20
I now pay 100% of doctor visits up to the $2,600.
Doesn't sound like much, but to me, what I just wrote there is gigantic.

Last year OOP: $4,500
This year OOP: $5,000

Last year 2 week premium (employee half): $134.89
This year 2 week premium (employee half): $135.65
Total monthly premium is now $587.80

So my premium costs are high, but I am still managing to pay them.
What could conceivably drive me to bankruptcy though is the $5,000 OOP per year max. With all the tests I'm required to do now to keep my CDL license, I'm not sure yet how high my total OOP will actually go each year. I mean, the worst is over (last year), but I know I'll still be struggling with the deductible and the OOP from here on out.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Toe

Post by Toe »

Starting next year, premium almost doubles, copay doubles, max oop doubles. Corporate tells us how excited they are to bring us in line with industry standards... :hawk:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Industry standards are about excuses for poor, lazy management. Remember when business leaders wanted to be the best? (not just claiming it, like the Drumph)
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
stessier

Post by stessier »

Got my packet over the weekend.

I'm in the high deductible plan (called HD1 here). Two other plans are offered, another high deductible plan with high premiums but lower deductibles (HD2) and a standard PPO with the highest premiums and lowest deductibles (PPO). In all cases the premiums are going up by $17/month. For HD1 that is a 18% increase, but it's only a 7.7% for HD2 and a 5.1% for the PPO. So for covering a family, HD1 is about $110/month, HD2 is around $240/month, and PPO is around $350/month.

The deductibles (personal/family) stay the same for HD1 ($2800/$5600), but increase for HD2 and PPO. There is no change to the company's contribution to our HSA (for HD1 and HD2 only) - $1200/year donated in January. There is no change in coverage other than which prescriptions are covered (as managed by CVS/Caremark).

We sign up for Dental every 2 years and this is the year. There is no change in coverage. I have to double check the premium...I think it goes up about $5/month.

We sign up for Vision every year and there is slight change in coverage around payment for lens coatings. It think that was the only think that changed - they now cover one coating. I think the cost increased $5/month.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

stessier wrote: There is no change in coverage other than which prescriptions are covered (as managed by CVS/Caremark).
have fun with that
malchior

Post by malchior »

Knock me over with a feather - just got our details for next year. No deductible changes / no premium changes / increased credit for wellness screening. And while not health care related - they added a loan consolidation benefit. I just refi-ed my student loans but I can shave another 2% off by going with this option.

Also, having been through a few rX companies - the one I had the least trouble with by far was CVS/Caremark. Our previous one Express Scripts was harder to use IMO from a reimbursement standpoint. Ordering was harder as well. I know they are well-regarded but it was a step down from CVS/Caremark imo.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

My company renewed our tiny Blue Shield group for a 3% raise in costs. I was happy with that.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

hitbyambulance wrote:
stessier wrote: There is no change in coverage other than which prescriptions are covered (as managed by CVS/Caremark).
have fun with that
We've had them for the last 5 years. Never had any problem, but we aren't on any maintenance medications so really only use them for random illnesses.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Things changed pretty drastically for me this year. Excluding a couple of fringe PPO/HMO options that I don't consider, we basically have a Gold/Silver/Bronze trio of plans to pick from. I looked at the numbers last year, and the Gold was my best option. For full family coverage (wife and kids), my premiums were $277/month. We had a deductible of $2,600, "coinsurance" of 90% (i.e., after meeting deductible, insurance pays 90% of costs and we pay 10%), and an out-of-pocket maximum of $6,000. They nearly doubled premiums on Gold this year.

Gold
Premium: $424/month
Deductible: $2,600 (family)
Coinsurance: 90%
Out-of-pocket Maximum: $8,000

Silver
Premium: $160/month
Deductible: $3,000 (family)
Coinsurance: 80%
Out-of-pocket Maximum: $10,000

Bronze
Premium: $50/month
Deductible: $5,000 (family)
Coinsurance: 90%
Out-of-pocket Maximum: $12,000
Bonus: Company will match first $1,000 of HSA contributions

Since we hit our out of pocket maximum every year, it's really a question of adding the premiums and out of pocket maximum to find what we'll end up paying.
Gold - $13,088
Silver - $11,920
Bronze - $12,600

If I add in the HSA match that's only available with the Bronze plan, though, that drops its total cost to $11,600. Last year's total cost was $9,324, so Bronze costs $2,276 more than Gold did last year. I'm going for the Bronze!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Wow. You have some awesome insurance. What you get this year for a family. I got last year for one person. Though I must admit I have no idea how much the company contributes to the monthly premium. I play almost nothing. $60 a month but that is no indicator of how much I am subsidized by the company. They don't publish this information, so as not to create friction, I think. Where people getting their entire families insured are getting some obscene amount more subsidized in coverage then say someone like me.

Not looking forward to the increases in December. This year has already been insanely expensive and it's not done yet and I think I am actually approaching that $8000 out of pocket maximum. I would have blown right past it if they put rehab in my FMLA after my three days of for heart surgery. Which makes me want to fit more stuff in this year before the reset. :ninja: :oops:
Toe

Post by Toe »

Update with some real numbers. The options I am looking at for in-network, covering just myself are:

Choice Plus
$65/month (They say it would be $518/month but company is covering a chunk of the cost)
$800 deductible
$3000 max out of pocket
20% Coinsurance (preventative care is fully covered)

Consumer Choice
$40/month (They say it would be $497/month but company is covering a chunk of the cost)
$1500 deductible
$3000 max out of pocket
HSA available - company contributes $250 - you can roll over $500

Consumer Max
$20/month (They say it would be $458/month but company is covering a chunk of the cost)
$3000 deductible
$5000 max out of pocket
HSA available - company contributes $500 - you can roll over $500
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Haven't seen the details yet so I don't know what's happening with deductibles but we were informed that our premiums with United Healthcare are going down 15%.

WTF.

Thanks Obama! :mrgreen:
stessier

Post by stessier »

Toe wrote:HSA available - company contributes $250 - you can roll over $500
Are there really different rules for HSAs? I thought one of the benefits was that they were all the same, portable, and the money never disappeared. After 5 years I'm up to $6000 in my account and only donate around $3000/year.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

company is now super trying to push HDCP, including announcement emails, mail fliers, informational meetings, etc. the mail flyer is rather insultingly worded and maybe just a bit misleading on all the 'benefits' of HDCP. my company is well known for being overly penny-pinching/cheap (and i am soon being laid off so they can hire someone else in Canada for a much lower salary), so i am 100% suspicious of their motives here.
malchior

Post by malchior »

HDCP is better for the company and varies greatly in benefit for the user. I like it but I don't have any children and can max out my HSA which is nice when say you get hit with a 10000 dollar dental procedure like I did earlier in the year. I have friends who max out the HSA and spend it all and come out if pocket to hit the out of pocket max. You have to really analyze your own situation if you have a choice.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

My packet came last week. It is sitting on the kitchen table. I'm afraid to open it.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

malchior wrote:HDCP is better for the company and varies greatly in benefit for the user. I like it but I don't have any children and can max out my HSA which is nice when say you get hit with a 10000 dollar dental procedure like I did earlier in the year. I have friends who max out the HSA and spend it all and come out if pocket to hit the out of pocket max. You have to really analyze your own situation if you have a choice.
Yeah, if you start an HSA when you are young and healthy, they seem great. Until you realize that you are effectively insuring yourself, without the advantages of pooling risk. :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

$0 increase but CVS pharmacy was kicked out of system and they're forcing prescription need pre-authorization to push preferred meds.

With two insulin-dependent diabetic children and a wife with complications from surviving two car accidents, we max out every year on the out-of-pocket on the expensive HD plan.

Mandatory coverage under Obamacare is critical to our family's long-term survival. I have a well paying career, but handling insurance is nearly a second job for my wife. She knows how to pursue our appeal rights and to juggle the bill payments.

Going to try to get better on tracking the total expenses for tax deductions and HSA in 2017 -- we've been treading water dealing with health insurance the past 3 years.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Zarathud wrote:$0 increase but CVS pharmacy was kicked out of system and they're forcing prescription need pre-authorization to push preferred meds.
Interesting. We have Blue Shield and they are dumping current drug setup and going all in for CVS. But Blue Shield has been a pain for my wife getting one med she prefers.
Black Lives Matter
dfs

Post by dfs »

HSA contribution was cut nearly $1,000. OOP maximum went up $2,000 by applying a 10% copay after we have hit the $4,000 deductible in our high deductible plan. Premium went up another $1000 in my case. Yeah....That's $4,000 in increased fees in a year where I got a 1% increase.

We also heard the spiel about "bringing us in line with industry standard." It's really painful to the folks at the bottom of the pay pyramid and there's been a lot of sqwaking about it. A few years ago I shopped my services around and one of the reasons I stayed on board was the gold plated health care. With the increase, we're still WAY better than what several places in town are offering.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur, Sep 21, 2016 wrote:And for cross reference purposes (pay periods are 2 weeks):

Self $35/period (my selection)
+ kids $177.74
+ spouse $225.83
+ spouse and kids $356.18

And again, spouse coverage is not available if coverage is available through my wife's work, which it is.
Self $35/period (my selection)
+ kids $190.10
+ spouse $241.56
+ spouse and kids $380.90

No increase in OOP maxes ($6k/12k) in network.

Effective November 1st.
naednek

Post by naednek »

July 2017 our union negotiated a 4% pay increase. October I get my merit raise which is 5% Jan 1st my healthcare plan goes up 8.2%. So my 9% raise goes down to 0.8%
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I don't think math works like that, unless your plans is going up 8.2% of your salary.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Company had a shitty year so I'm expecting the plan that couldn't possibly get worse to somehow get much worse.

As it is, there is no benefit until I hit a $12K deductible. The cost is so high that my wife, who ostensibly makes 50% of what I do but doesn't pay for insurance, brings in almost identical take-home pay. :x
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Midway through Wife's acquisition of a bionic mouth, our dentist decided to drop out of Delta's preferred provider network. Apparently all the cool dentists are doing it since Delta cut their allowable charges for the second year in a row; to hear our dentist tell it, the professional rebellion is so widespread that Delta is ending their PPO next year. What that means is that instead of paying the capped price, we will now have to pay retail, and Delta will reimburse only 60% of the capped amount rather than 80%. And that means that her remaining procedures are going to be a lot more expensive if she doesn't change doctors (which neither of us wants to do). Even routine cleanings went from being free to costing $60 out of pocket, so I'll be cutting those back to once a year.

We are hoping that her employer will dump Delta, or at least offer Blue X as an alternative. That's the only network he's in now, and we would pay handsomely for that.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I work for a really tiny company, so they outsource the benefits to a PEO (professional employer organization). We just switched PEOs, and I switched my insurance to a high-deductible plan, where I don't actually have to pay a premium (the company covers 100% of it). So between not having a premium or a co-pay, and the deductible and OOP max on the "regular" plan that they offer, and depending on how much I actually need to go to the doctor, I'll have to see if I come out ahead this way.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It seems the only way to play the game these days is to either never get sick, or go whole hog for the out-of-pocket max if you do.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yup. We finally hit our annual deductible, so I'm in the processes of making various doctor's appointments now, fully expecting that I'll need a head gasket replacement or a new transmission. Hopefully I can fit that all in between now and January, because then it's back to hoping nothing goes wrong between January and September.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

am I reading that right, that you hit your annual deductible in September - and that’s the “nothing goes wrong” scenario? On the plus side I guess, if something goes wrong, you’ll hit it faster I suppose.
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote:am I reading that right, that you hit your annual deductible in September - and that’s the “nothing goes wrong” scenario?
That is correct. We are maintenance healthcare consumers. I think we have a $5K annual deductible with our plan. Now that we've hit it, I think it's 90/10 for additional services rendered. Our healthcare plan is total garbage. Unless, I guess you're a healthy, single 25 year old male. Then it's probably terrific.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

...and I am waiting to get my Sciatica diagnosed until next year because we haven't touched our deductible this year. They are going to want an MRI to diagnose it and I would be 100% out of pocket on it. No thanks.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:am I reading that right, that you hit your annual deductible in September - and that’s the “nothing goes wrong” scenario?
That is correct. We are maintenance healthcare consumers. I think we have a $5K annual deductible with our plan. Now that we've hit it, I think it's 90/10 for additional services rendered. Our healthcare plan is total garbage. Unless, I guess you're a healthy, single 25 year old male. Then it's probably terrific.
How are you spending $5k on maintenance health care?!
Hodor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, there's lots of stuff. Nothing I'm comfortable sharing on a public discussion forum though. :) I can say that I have spent exactly 0 dollars and 0 cents on healthcare this year. Same as last year...and the year before. But other people in my household? There you go. For me this year? Go big or go home...at least over the next 3 months. I think you'd need to go back about 5 or so years to find my last point of service. And even during routine well visits the doctor's office managed to submit my blood testing in such a way that I was hit with a $500 lab bill. If they coded it correctly, it would have been $50 or some other token amount. This is why I refuse to go to doctors. It's absolutely impacting my health but so is arguing with insurance companies and front-end office workers that don't understand how to code a test.

Regardless, this year was slightly different with some more testing and general procedures done than in prior years. I think we usually hit the deductible closer to November.
Trent Steel

Post by Trent Steel »

Smoove_B wrote:
So major surgery for everyone as Christmas presents?
18-1™ & 2-0
stessier

Post by stessier »

Got the packet last night.

For the High Deductible plan we are in - () indicate increase/decrease from 2017

Premium - $140/month (+$26 - 23%!)
Individual deductible - $2900 (+100)
Family deductible - $5800 (+200)
Co-insurance after deductible is met - 15% (+5%)
Dental with 2000/year max benefit - $49/month (+$4)

HSA contribution max went up a bit, but I think that limit if federally mandated.

The other plans (another High Dedutible - but less high- and a PPO) also increased, but at a much lower rate.

Not real happy and don't appreciate the notes throughout the packet that while the increases are high, they are still less than the companies we consider competitors for our talent.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

stessier wrote:Got the packet last night.

For the High Deductible plan we are in - () indicate increase/decrease from 2017

Premium - $140/month (+$26 - 23%!)
Individual deductible - $2900 (+100)
Family deductible - $5800 (+200)
Co-insurance after deductible is met - 15% (+5%)
Dental with 2000/year max benefit - $49/month (+$4)

HSA contribution max went up a bit, but I think that limit if federally mandated.

The other plans (another High Dedutible - but less high- and a PPO) also increased, but at a much lower rate.

Not real happy and don't appreciate the notes throughout the packet that while the increases are high, they are still less than the companies we consider competitors for our talent.
damn, I would kill for that insurance......
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

There isn't a day that goes by that I wouldn't gladly bury a body for my employer. $0 premiums for an excellent PPO plan.
Make up bags of change