Mechs vs Minions - Co-op Programming board game from Riot

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

coopasonic

Re: Mechs vs Minions - Co-op Programming board game from Rio

Post by coopasonic »

Harkonis wrote:Got one
Bastard. I'll give you $80.01 for it!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:
Bastard. I'll give you $80.01 for it!
Too late, my order just went through.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm on my way.

Actually, Seppe is trying to get a copy after all. But that doesn't mean I won't play yours as well. :P
Covfefe!
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Went back later and snagged one.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

If anyone is still trying, I just got mine on the first try.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Lordnine wrote:If anyone is still trying, I just got mine on the first try.
Yeah I was glad I waited to go back and pick one up easily.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I caved. After watching a video explaining how the game works.

I was having issues getting through, then it suddenly worked. I suspect they rebooted or flushed connections or something.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Out of curiosity, have you guys gotten your confirmation emails? I'd assumed they were automated, but I haven't gotten one yet. I did place the order last night, so it's possible, I guess, that they haven't actually processed it yet.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I got my confirmation email immediately.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Checked my CC. I'm seeing a Pending charge. I'll go check my Spam folder.

Black Lives Matter

Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

There's a nice interview with the creators on the latest episode of Game Design Roundtable.
I always like hearing how things changed as the game progressed, in the beginning it wasn't co-op.

Also, the price tag may be a bit steep but everyone was impressed with the quality of the components. So I guess you get what you pay for.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

My charge is still pending. No idea what that means. They're behind? It's on backorder? No clue. It would be nice to get some kind of update... :(

Black Lives Matter

Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Shipping notice received. Game to arrive Thursday. Alright. Probably won't get played for quite a while though.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Well... My charge finally posted yesterday. Still no email. I suppose it's possible that I entered the wrong email... twice. Though unlikely. So I have no idea what's going on.

Black Lives Matter

Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

According to posts on BGG, they are processing/shipping about 2,000 copies a day. They are claiming to have sold about 15,000.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Finally just got my shipping notice. I must have been one of the last ones from the first wave.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Looks like I'll get a chance to play this tomorrow. I definitely want to play with the "radio broadcasts" they have on their website. Sounds kind of cool.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Just got my shipping notice as well. Never got a confirmation on the order, but at least it looks like I'll be getting a copy after all.

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Mine was delivered this afternoon. Z(7) lost interest in the second half of the tutorial after I got 3 kills in a round and he didn't get any... I moved first and killed the ones he was planning on killing. I finished the tutorial playing two mechs. The tutorial is really, really easy, which I guess is to be expected, but it also does a really nice job of teaching the basic game. Hopefully X(10) is up for a game tomorrow because I don't think solo play looks that interesting... but I'll do it if I have to.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Played thorough the tutorial and into mission 2 before we hit a brick wall. I think that one is going to require more than 2 players to succeed. But I love the game. It's just pure fun. And the quality is through the roof. 25 percent or more of what you get would be add ons in a Kickstarter.

Make sure you play with the voice overs on their website. It added an extra layer of theme to the whole shebang.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I successfully completed mission 2 with two players on my third try. You *can* do it. One thing to note that I didn't know until I read it online, you can have both schematics for your mech. In the third mission it tells you this once you get your third. I guess you are supposed to assume when you have two you can use them both. I think the key is to make sure you pick up the second and third crystal in the same turn and run for home before the double speed, double spawns crush you.

At one point I had 81 minions on the board... I used fuel tanks to kill 17 in one action. That made me smile. It could have been more but I was on a board that I had just cleared out.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

A leveled up flamespitter (?) is absolutely essential for that mission. And maybe a fuel tank so you can clear a large number if you get surrounded.

We tried it twice before calling it a day. We didn't want to burn out on it. But we couldn't figure out how to stop the minions from advancing onto the school with just two mechs. Well, that and we both kept getting one of our programming slots cluttered with automatic turns from damage. I actually was doing great at the beginning of the first try. I had picked up a crystal and was heading back when I got hit by a minion and the damage spun me around so that my programming now took me the wrong way for a full turn as I frantically tried to get the right card combo to head back and pick up the crystal again.

On a side note: I worry about replayability with the game. It takes a legacy style approach to the campaign, so you kind of lose that anticipation of what's next that makes it so compelling after you finish, I would assume. Hopefully they'll be releasing new campaigns though.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I don't worry too much about replayability... mostly because after playing 5 times it's already in my 20 most played games of all time. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It is addictive, isn't it? :D

I'm betting that since the makers are a video game studio first and foremost, that they'll release new campaigns regularly. It will be just like DLC.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I thought I would throw out there for those familiar with RoboRally and not interested because of RoboRally... this game is NOT RoboRally.

There are Turn, Move and Attack cards. RoboRally has turn left, turn right and turn around. In MvM, a turn card is a choice. With one card it is turn left or right. With two cards it is turn left, right or about face. With three cards it is "face any direction." This gives you a lot of flexibility in executing your program.

The Move cards are more strict... Some of them are fixed move forward 1, 2 or 3 depending on number of cards. One lets you move 1,2 or 3 depending on number of cards but the movement can be forward left or right. The speed card lets you do 1-2 for 1 card, 2-4 for two cards and I think it is 3-6 for 3 cards... again giving you some flexibility.

There is a nice variety of attack cards as well that do lots of different things.

That's not to mention schematics which are basically special abilities that you can pick two to bring with you on a mission. Some are use once, some are ongoing and some are use once with an option to keep them if you do something specific like rocket jump, which kills all adjacent minions and you then move a number of spaces equal to the number of minions you killed in any of the eight directions. If this lands you on another minion you get to keep rocket jump for another go. Another card lets you kill a bunch of minions and then keep it if you take one damage... and this is on a mech that has an ability to heal 1`damage per round.

On top of all that the variety of things damage cards can do to you is both interesting, amusing and frustrating. (Yes, both.)
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And for those like me who were interested because it was being compared to Roborally, you'll still program your moves ahead of time. :wink:
Covfefe!
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

What about those of us who like pretty things and are easily persuaded by good reviews?

I'm excited to get to this game but it's a bit down the play list for now just due to my backlog. So I love hearing about it from you all. Currently I'm playing through seafall. Next up is the Harry Potter card game, then finally... This. Can't wait.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I played the tutorial and first mission of this over the weekend with four players. We all had fun but I wouldn’t say I was completely wowed by the gameplay. From the way the game starts out I think it’s going to open up a lot as it goes along. The first mission was more of a tutorial in of itself than anything. On the other hand, the component quality is as expected, amazing.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

By the third mission things get a lot more interesting. I haven't seen anything beyond that yet... I fell into the Fallout 4 rabbit hole and haven't found my way out yet. BGG.CON in a couple weeks I'll probably get some play in there, though MvM isn't my planned focus.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm in for the second shipment in December. I'm buying this as a Christmas present for myself. Watched the tutorial play through vid on YouTube by Watch It Played and was absolutely enamored with it - the components, the artwork, and the gameplay. Looks super cool and I think my group would absolutely go bonkers over this.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

We played through the tutorial and the first mission on Halloween. Tutorial was very easy. First mission started out that way, but got complicated fast. At first it looks hopeless as there are minions everywhere; but then you start nuking, and it gets fun.

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Played mission 3 yesterday... this game can be HARD for 2 mechs. Keeping it spoiler free, the goal for the third mission is 10... easy mode changes it to 5, I think. I got 3. If everything goes reasonably, you have 10 rounds to get that 10. I just never got the movement cards I needed to gain any ground. I got one omni-stomp the whole damn game. One! When my plan for one mech was "gotta repair this round!" I got ZERO repair cards. You deal 5 cards for the draft. Half of the cards are repair cards.... come on!

This game...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

You could always try to intentionally take damage in the hopes of getting stuck controls. In one of the missions we did my main form of movement was to turn 180 degrees and then move backwards towards where I wanted to go. Was silly but it worked. :)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Question, when you are doing the first draft, and it says deal twice the number of cards, and take twice the number of cards, how many do you take with only 2 mechs? The rules are very clearly written from the standpoint of 4 mechs. It talks about everyone having 2 cards, or a total of 8 from the 10 card draft. So do you go around until each mech has 4 cards when only playing with 2 mechs? Or do you stop at 2 each, basically starting the mission with half the number of cards?

We went with 4 each, but I'm curious what everyone else is doing.

Black Lives Matter

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

2 cards each the first round regardless of number of mechs. In all future rounds, 4 cards are drafted regardless of the number of mechs.

Confirmed by Riot in the BGG forums.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Ooops wrong thread...
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Played the second mission tonight, that was a huge step up from the first mission! We were actually challenged this time around whereas we pretty-much sleepwalked through the first mission. Looking forward to playing the next mission, if things continue to pick up this will be something really special.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Placed my order for a Wave 2 shipment last night. I was holding off until I had a chance for my game group to check it out, and they seemed really excited to try it. So hopefully they ship mid-December as promised and we can get it to the table over the holidays.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Wave 2 is now shipping. Mine should be here tomorrow or Friday. All North American orders should be a lock to arrive before Christmas, and most of the EU orders as well.