Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Defiant

Re: Go ahead, throw your vote away

Post by Defiant »

Stein comes in fifth.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Who the hell is McMullen, and what happened to Deez Nutz?
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Kraken wrote:Who the hell is McMullen, and what happened to Deez Nutz?
Who is Evan McMullin? The only way to foil a Russian ex-KGB president is an American ex-CIA president, who also happens to be a True Conservative®.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm kind of shocked that McMullin scored 2% in that poll, given that I have seen essentially zero coverage of him since he announced.
Black Lives Matter.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote:I'm kind of shocked that McMullin scored 2% in that poll, given that I have seen essentially zero coverage of him since he announced.
Jill Stein probably is shocked, too!
Hodor.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

And he's only on the ballot in a dozen states.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Defiant wrote:And he's only on the ballot in a dozen states.
Eleven, as of yesterday, with an additional 23 states where you can vote for him as a write-in.
Here is the current list of states where you can vote for Evan:
  • Alabama (Write-In)
  • Alaska (Write-in)
  • Arizona (Write-in)
  • Arkansas (Ballot)
  • Colorado (Ballot)
  • Delaware (Write-In)
  • Georgia (Write-In)
  • Idaho (Ballot)
  • Illinois (Write-In)
  • Iowa (Ballot)
  • Kentucky (Ballot)
  • Louisiana (Ballot)
  • Maine (Write-In)
  • Maryland (Write-In)
  • Massachusetts (Write-In)
  • Michigan (Write-In)
  • Minnesota (Ballot)
  • Montana (Write-in)
  • Nebraska (Write-in)
  • New Hampshire (Write-In)
  • New Jersey (Write-In)
  • New Mexico (Ballot)
  • Ohio (Write-In)
  • Oregon (Write-In)
  • Pennsylvania (Write-In)
  • Rhode Island (Write-In)
  • South Carolina (Ballot)
  • Tennessee (Write-in)
  • Texas (Write-In)
  • Utah (Ballot)
  • Vermont (Write-In)
  • Virginia (Ballot)
  • West Virginia (Write-in)
  • Wisconsin (Write-in)

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I assume his impact will be essentially zero in states where he's a write-in candidate. I wonder who he helps more on the ballot. My *guess* is that, where the impact is above zero, it's more likely to help Clinton and hurt Trump, since McMullin's natural constituency would be people who normally vote Republican.
Black Lives Matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

My best guess would be that he has no actual impact on the outcome, even in swing/battleground states. Any conservatives that feel strongly enough to vote for him over Trump probably wouldn't vote for Trump anyway, so I don't really see him stealing votes from Trump. His greatest value would seem to be in documenting that the GOP could have had a sliver more support with a traditional candidate, and whether the sum total of Trump+McMullin votes would have made a difference (assuming Trump doesn't win, of course).

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

He's probably going to take votes from Johnson that were taken from Trump. Though it's conceivable he'll pull a bit of support from Trump directly.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Weld says Clinton might be the most qualified to be president
"I'm not sure anybody is more qualified than Hillary Clinton to be president of the United States," Weld told MSNBC's Chuck Todd when asked if Gary Johnson is more qualified.

"That's not the end of the inquiry, though," Weld continued. "We were two-term governors and I think Gary is very, very solid," he said, describing the former New Mexico governor as insightful.

Weld argued Johnson would be a better president than Clinton because "he's got a very appealing policy mix."
Holman

Post by Holman »

Johnson staff memo: "Don't let Gary google Hillary Clinton!"
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Poll: Ken Bone leads Jill Stein in Florida
Ken Bone leads the Stein 4 percent to 1 percent in the Public Policy Polling (PPP) survey out Friday.

Libertarian presidential nominee Gary Johnson, meanwhile, takes 5 percent support among the state’s likely voters.
Friday’s results found Hillary Clinton leading the presidential field in Florida, with the Democratic presidential nominee grabbing 46 percent.

Donald Trump, the Republican nominee, trails behind at 42 percent in the battleground state.
:pop:
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Speaking of undecided voters in general and Ken Bone in particular...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIMW1C- ... 50&index=1
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

tgb

Post by tgb »

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Well, I don't know about you guys, but Joe Exotic has my vote for sure.
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Bill Weld issues statement urging you not to throw your vote away, and all but tells everyone to vote for Clinton:
“It is a privilege and an honor to participate in this year’s national election campaign. I am grateful to Governor Gary Johnson for the opportunity to do so. Under Governor Johnson’s leadership the Libertarian Party has made great strides in this election cycle. Gary and I will carry our message of fiscal responsibility, social inclusion, and smaller government through November 8, and I hope that this election cycle will secure for the Libertarian Party a permanent place in our national political dialogue.

“We are making strides toward breaking the two party monopoly, and America will be stronger when we do, but given the position of the Commission on Presidential Debates, the deck is still stacked against even a credible third party ticket with two proven former Governors.

“Against that backdrop, I would like to address myself to all those in the electorate who remain torn between two so-called major party candidates whom they cannot enthusiastically support. I’m speaking particularly to those Republicans who feel that our President should exhibit commonly accepted standards of decency and discipline.

“I would not have stepped out of the swirl of the campaign to make this statement if I did not fear for our country, as I do.

“A President of the United States operates every day under a great deal of pressure — from all sides, and in furtherance of many different agendas. With that pressure comes constant criticism.

“After careful observation and reflection, I have come to believe that Donald Trump, if elected President of the United States, would not be able to stand up to this pressure and this criticism without becoming unhinged and unable to perform competently the duties of his office.

“Mr. Trump has some charisma and panache, and intellectual quickness. These qualities can be entertaining. Yet more than charisma, more even than intellectual ability, is required of a serious candidate for this country’s highest office. A serious candidate for the Presidency of the United States must be stable, and Donald Trump is not stable.

“Throughout this campaign, Mr. Trump has demonstrated an inability to handle criticism or blame well. His first instinct is to lash out at others. When challenged, he often responds as a child might. He makes a sour face, he calls people by insulting names, he waves his arms, he impatiently interrupts. Most families would not allow their children to remain at the dinner table if they behaved as Mr. Trump does. He has not exhibited the self-control, the discipline, or the emotional depth necessary to function credibly as a President of the United States.

“From the beginning of his campaign, Mr. Trump has conjured up enemies. First it was eleven million criminals in our midst, all bent on obtaining the benefits of citizenship, at our expense. Over time, the enemies became any trading partner of the United States. He says they are nothing but foreigners seeking to threaten our livelihoods. Now we have reached the point where his idea of America’s enemies includes almost anyone who talks or looks different from him. The goal of the Trump campaign, from the outset, has been to stir up envy, resentment, and group hatred.

“This is the worst of American politics. I fear for our cohesion as a nation, and for our place in the world, if this man who is unwilling to say he will abide by the result of our national election becomes our President.

“This great nation has weathered policy differences throughout our history, and we will do so again. Not in my lifetime, though, has there been a candidate for President who actually makes me fear for the ultimate well-being of the country, a candidate who might in fact put at risk the solid foundation of America that allows us to endure even ill-advised policies and the normal ebb and flow of politics.

“In the final days of this very close race, every citizen must be aware of the power and responsibility of each individual vote. This is not the time to cast a jocular or feel-good vote for a man whom you may have briefly found entertaining. Donald Trump should not, cannot, and must not be elected President of the United States.”
Black Lives Matter.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

You just made the list, buddy.

Wait. That's what a crazy adult says.

A child says "second banana to a failed presidential run that wasn't even invited to the debates. Weak. Sad"
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Lou Dobbs on McMullin
#MormonMafia is now a twitter hashtag.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Are they bootlegging caffeinated sodas into Salt Lake City?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lou Dobbs has been off the reservation for many years now.
Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Gary Johnson does an interview

While he doesn't have an "Aleppo moment", it doesn't go well. When pressed on tax policy he changes topics to Marijuana legalization. When the interviewer points out that he's doing 6% in the polls, he denies it, claiming that the polls show him at 15% in VA and 25% in NM (The single VA poll is from last month, the single NM one is from two months ago, and they were likely outliers).

But my favorite point is when he describes Evan McMullin as someone that is "ensuring that Hillary Clinton will win Utah". This, from a guy that goes nuts if you bring up the topic of a "spoiler effect".
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

El Guapo wrote:Lou Dobbs has been off the reservation for many years now.
His recent doxxing and non-apology for it means fuck him.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The Weld dynamic is amazing. I think there's a 30% chance that he openly endorses her before the election.
Black Lives Matter.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Bill Weld has given some of the best interviews this election cycle - intelligent, informed, logical, thoughtful; basically everything that his running mate is not :)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

gilraen wrote:Bill Weld has given some of the best interviews this election cycle - intelligent, informed, logical, thoughtful; basically everything that his running mate is not :)
If he'd been the topliner he might have run the table. Or at least taken MA.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote:
gilraen wrote:Bill Weld has given some of the best interviews this election cycle - intelligent, informed, logical, thoughtful; basically everything that his running mate is not :)
If he'd been the topliner he might have run the table. Or at least taken MA.
I mean, no, Weld couldn't have won Massachusetts as a libertarian in a presidential election. :lol:

But seriously, he's clearly a better candidate than Johnson, and far more sensible.
Black Lives Matter.
fbarraza28

Post by fbarraza28 »

Spam
Holman

Post by Holman »

Damn this spammer for taking us back to a time when the future seemed OK.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Don't blame me, I voted for # 6.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

NickAragua wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:38 pm
Sorry for the quote from a better, simpler time, but THIS JUST IN:

Zookeeper 'Joe Exotic' arrested in murder-for-hire plot involving Florida cat-rescue group.
The operator of a Florida-based animal sanctuary says she was the target of an Oklahoma zookeeper who was indicted last week on federal murder-for-hire charges.

Carole Baskin of Big Cat Rescue said she's clashed in the past with Joseph Maldonado-Passage, who goes by the nickname "Joe Exotic."

"He's been threatening me for many, many years," Baskin told The Oklahoman after Maldonado-Passage's arrest last week.

Prosecutors allege that Maldonado-Passage tried to hire two separate people to kill an unnamed woman, who wasn't harmed. One of the unidentified people he sought to hire connected him with an undercover FBI agent, who met with Maldonado-Passage in December 2017. The indictment was unsealed Friday and Maldonado-Passage remains jailed in Florida. He didn't reply to an email seeking comment and court records don't list an attorney for him.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

Holman wrote:Sorry for the quote from a better, simpler time, but THIS JUST IN:

Zookeeper 'Joe Exotic' arrested in murder-for-hire plot involving Florida cat-rescue group.
That guy’s face still graces some billboards on I-35 between OKC and Dallas.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

Holman wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:31 pm
NickAragua wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:38 pm
Sorry for the quote from a better, simpler time, but THIS JUST IN:

:'(
Black Lives Matter