Kickstarter 2015-2016 - Mostly Tabletop, but we aren't picky

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: Kickstarter 2015-2016 - Mostly Tabletop, but we aren't p

Post by hepcat »

I think they learned from their last kickstarter and are now pricing it out more reasonably for them. Unfortunately, that means I can probably get all of this at either the same price or cheaper at online retailers after it releases.
Covfefe!
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Just received the first part of this today
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... escription

Wave 2 is due Feb I think.

Only took a quick glance inside so far. May try to play this weekend.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Neat! Definitely report back after you get a chance to play.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I got Pyramid Arcade yesterday. I am way more excited than I should be by a game that uses abstract pyramids!
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

baelthazar wrote:I got Pyramid Arcade yesterday. I am way more excited than I should be by a game that uses abstract pyramids!
I'm out of town for a couple of days and I'm really hoping it's at home when I get back. Really looking forward to this one.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

The High Frontier kickstarter ("Estimated delivery: October 2015") might actually deliver one of these days. The publisher shared photos of the printer's proof:

Enlarge Image

In keeping with the project's track record of terrible communications, these pictures were not shared with backers, but instead posted to the publisher's forum on Consimworld.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Chrisoc13 wrote:
baelthazar wrote:I got Pyramid Arcade yesterday. I am way more excited than I should be by a game that uses abstract pyramids!
I'm out of town for a couple of days and I'm really hoping it's at home when I get back. Really looking forward to this one.
Someone should really suggest to Looney Labs to make a Tabletop Simulator version of these. Homeworlds would be SUPER easy to do.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

baelthazar wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote:
Someone should really suggest to Looney Labs to make a Tabletop Simulator version of these. Homeworlds would be SUPER easy to do.
I'm really excited to start diving into these games. Have you tried some? I actually picked up another two stashes of pyramids so I have enough for zendo (and I picked up glass beads) so I'm going to give zendo a try soon. I also ordered pink hijinks just to get the pink pyramids. I went a little overboard but I just love the idea of these pyramids.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I believe there are other fans of Small Box Games' excellent two player card game Omen: Reign of War. For those folks (and anyone who wants a smaller version of Omen), a new kickstarter for Omen: Edge of the Aegean from SBG is a standalone 2 player game with cards that can be mixed in with the original game. 15 bucks gets you everything.
Covfefe!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Just a small reminder that Deep Madness ends in ~20 hours. Early on I had some concerns due to translation weirdness with their updates and a few of their samples, but after the first couple days it looks like they took care of it. That sort of thing is a red flag for me but I love the setting on this one so I’m willing to take a chance.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Lordnine wrote:Just a small reminder that Deep Madness ends in ~20 hours. Early on I had some concerns due to translation weirdness with their updates and a few of their samples, but after the first couple days it looks like they took care of it. That sort of thing is a red flag for me but I love the setting on this one so I’m willing to take a chance.
... and in the last two hours, it looks like I'll be throwing some extra bundle money at it.
-mf
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

MonkeyFinger wrote:
Lordnine wrote:Just a small reminder that Deep Madness ends in ~20 hours. Early on I had some concerns due to translation weirdness with their updates and a few of their samples, but after the first couple days it looks like they took care of it. That sort of thing is a red flag for me but I love the setting on this one so I’m willing to take a chance.
... and in the last two hours, it looks like I'll be throwing some extra bundle money at it.
All stretch goals have been unlocked. I’m tempted by the expansion bundle but think I will just bide my time until the pledge manager opens since there is no benefit now to adding extra funds early. I have high hopes for this one but the recent Conan delivery has made me a bit shy of going all in on Kickstarters.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I am surprised nobody here has mentioned the Forbidden Fortress KS by Flying Frog (Shadows of Brimstone set in Japan). I would normally have been all over this, but since they STILL have not delivered the extras from the KS (not to mention that they are selling the extras in store before sending them to us), I just cannot justifying backing this in good faith. It feels like even more of a slap in the face that they would start another KS without finishing the last one.

I did, however, back Feudum. It just looks too interesting to not back.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

baelthazar wrote:I am surprised nobody here has mentioned the Forbidden Fortress KS by Flying Frog (Shadows of Brimstone set in Japan).
Last month, discussion on the second half of the page. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
baelthazar

Kickstarter 2015-2016 - Mostly Tabletop, but we aren't picky

Post by baelthazar »

You think I can keep track of you guys!?

I agree with all that was said then. I just cannot justify the cost for the hassle.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Do you have $300+ to blow on a game? Then boy do I have the boardgame for you! Kingdom Death Monster!

I jest but apparently it's actually really good. The original was popular enough that this is the second printing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Everyone gushes over the gameplay, but I'm not sure I have it in me to deal with more miniatures - assembly and painting. As that appears to be a big part of the attraction, I think I'll need to pass - but it's kicking ass on money collected. Good lord.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

As I think I noted at the time, the author of CTRL+ALT+DEL loved it. He did a couple of detailed write-ups of he game sessions. It sounds awesome. But I don't think I can justify the cost to myself.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lordnine wrote:Do you have $300+ to blow on a game? Then boy do I have the boardgame for you! Kingdom Death Monster!

I jest but apparently it's actually really good. The original was popular enough that this is the second printing.
It has some 1000+ cards. Since I HAVE to sleeve my cards, I would say it would cost $50-60 alone just to get the sleeves for those cards. I have also heard that some of those minis are a HUGE pain in the rear to assemble (the phoenix and watcher were especially heinous). It looks like a very interesting game, something like a board game version of Dark Souls, but I just could not justify a $400+ expense that will lead to hours and hours of assembly.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just saw the proposed delivery date for the kingdom death Kickstarter. December 2020. :shock:

4 years.

A fool and his money...
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

2020 is the date for final delivery of all 12 (?) expansions and whatever else is unlocked. The reprint of the base box is coming Summer 2017 and apparently already in production.

Regardless, I'm nearly certain it will be shipped before Shadows of Brimstone is completed. :wink:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if it will slip to 2048...
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, I'm pretty sure my Brimstone order will be completed by 2020. :wink:

From what I understand, he didn't want to start this KS until the original was completely finished (all expansions delivered) and apparently that happened a few months ago - after 4 years. I've been following along and I keep going back and forth on it. Some of the bigger monster models are absolutely unreal.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

hepcat wrote:I just saw the proposed delivery date for the kingdom death Kickstarter. December 2020. :shock:

4 years.

A fool and his money...
I mean at that rate it only works out to be $75 a year...if you actually get four years of enjoyment out of the game that isn't bad.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote:No, I'm pretty sure my Brimstone order will be completed by 2020. :wink:

From what I understand, he didn't want to start this KS until the original was completely finished (all expansions delivered) and apparently that happened a few months ago - after 4 years. I've been following along and I keep going back and forth on it. Some of the bigger monster models are absolutely unreal.
I sometimes forget that some of you folks aren't already enjoying all those goodies. :twisted:
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

hepcat wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:No, I'm pretty sure my Brimstone order will be completed by 2020. :wink:

I sometimes forget that some of you folks aren't already enjoying all those goodies. :twisted:
Aye. Some of us did not give in to the extortion. :P

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Paying the extortion made sense. Hepcat picked up a massive box of product. Worth it.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Since I mostly play on TTS, and someone was nice enough to add in most of the new content, it's not that big a deal for me. If I was starved for new content, maybe. But I'm not. So I won't fold to extortion.

Hell, I still haven't finished putting together the figures for both core sets. :oops:

Black Lives Matter

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote:Paying the extortion made sense. Hepcat picked up a massive box of product. Worth it.
Speaking of which, it's time to bring back your lawman and get back into the game. I'll finish assembly over the holiday and read up on all the new rules.
Covfefe!
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Anyone else pick up the two mini expansions for mare nostrum? Interesting that they emailed that out. They seem slightly overpriced for getting just a few characters but... They also are a relatively good price and I love the game enough that I bought resource chips for it so I picked them up.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Chrisoc13 wrote:Anyone else pick up the two mini expansions for mare nostrum? Interesting that they emailed that out. They seem slightly overpriced for getting just a few characters but... They also are a relatively good price and I love the game enough that I bought resource chips for it so I picked them up.
I plan to at least get the alternate starting heroes. I am really hoping they post a more detailed explanation of what they do first though.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Zarathud wrote:Paying the extortion made sense. Hepcat picked up a massive box of product. Worth it.
Except for they promised this much earlier and got it to the stores just fine... :evil:

They said something about January now? Not optimistic. I completely passed on Forbidden Whatzit. It has the word Forbidden in the title! I did, however, back the reprint of Vast: Crystal Caverns, because that got lots of good buzz and looks interesting.

I did get to play a little of Pyramid Hijinks from Pyramid Arcade. It was quick and loads of fun! Can't wait to try out the other Pyramid Arcade games (I am looking forward to trying Homeworld the most). I also need to see if I can somehow sneakily print out the extra KS game rules at work...

Masmorra is on a boat coming our way. It looks like the boat does not get in until after Christmas, so I won't see it until into the new year. I like the idea of a quick dungeon-crawl dice game that will expand my stable of Arcadia Quest characters. That is just a win-win.

Also, I noticed that Comancharia (the "sequel" to Navajo Wars) was charged and is shipping imminently. I know there were some NW fans here, so that might be some good news.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Ha I printed the extra games rules off at work then bound them and put them in the box. I also have extra pyramids and stones so we actually got to zendo last week. It was fun! I honestly enjoyed it a lot. I've played five or six different games with the pyramids now. Really happy with that kickstarter all around. Maybe the best bang for my buck yet.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I'm still tempted to jump onto the Forbidden Fortress Kickstarter, cause I love the theme, and I've been getting back into SoB again, but they picked a really horrible time of the year to ask me to drop $300 on a game (that I won't see for a couple of years.)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I don't think it's worth it. They've increased the price to the point that even with all the stretch rewards, it's still something you can buy at online retailer prices at some point...and probably for about the same price.
baelthazar wrote:
Also, I noticed that Comancharia (the "sequel" to Navajo Wars) was charged and is shipping imminently. I know there were some NW fans here, so that might be some good news.
Yup, me. I saw the charge go through last week. Supposedly it started shipping yesterday. This may be my last P500 though as the shipping charge just kills it.
Last edited by hepcat on Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

baelthazar wrote:I did, however, back the reprint of Vast: Crystal Caverns, because that got lots of good buzz and looks interesting.
An FYI about Vast. If you only want the base game you can actually get it cheaper from online retail. About $20 cheaper. The version that is going to backers is the same one that will be sent to distributors here in a few months.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Played a bit of the tutorial for Aeon's End yesterday. A kickstarter I backed a while ago. It’s an interesting mix of Sentinels of the Multiverse, Dominion and Mistfall (a game I tend to rave about when others see it on my shelf).

Sentinels because you face one of the 6 or so big bads in the box, and that monster boss might have minions or special powers that attack back or otherwise hinder the players.

Dominion because it has a market from which you can buy spells, relics and/or crystals that provide currency. Those cards then go into your discard (unless they say otherwise).

Mistfall because you never shuffle your deck, and can manipulate it in order to get the cards you want during a draw if you think ahead when discarding.

The other interesting mechanic is the way spells are cast. You have 4 “breaches” that sit in front of you. Breaches are essentially slots for spells. Until they’re opened, you can’t place a spell on them to fire it off during your next turn unless you “focus” it…which means paying some of your mana to turn it 90 degrees clockwise. Which then makes it cheaper to focus the next time, or less expensive to “open” it so it can continuously be used for spell slotting.

It's getting rave reviews from most online sites, although Tom Vassel was turned off by the art while still giving the game his seal of excellence.
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Lordnine wrote:
baelthazar wrote:I did, however, back the reprint of Vast: Crystal Caverns, because that got lots of good buzz and looks interesting.
An FYI about Vast. If you only want the base game you can actually get it cheaper from online retail. About $20 cheaper. The version that is going to backers is the same one that will be sent to distributors here in a few months.
How do I get that? I thought that they were all sold out. Also, isn't the KS for the second edition with some updates? I got the one with the minis, because I am insane. Is it any good? I may end up dropping it, because I also have Masmorra and Massive Darkness coming.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I backed Vast on the first KS. I'm in for the updated rules, the new roles and minis. I like it, and Vast is very different from anything else I own. It may not be for everyone.

The Hero tries to get their stuff done in the face of much opposition. The Goblins hit and run. The Cave stalls for time. The Dragon has their own goals similar to the Hero. The thief screws over everyone else by taking their power ups.

It's so interesting how the roles play differently -- I've played the Hero, the Goblins and the Cave in 5-player games. All were very different puzzles. Archinerd played the Goblins better but I've done the best as the Cave. The Hero can get screwed badly if no one lays off. I've seen the Thief once handed the game by an inattentive Cave. You can't drop 2 treasures within 1 turn distance from the Thief's main hub and let them pick up 40% of their objectives without later trying to slow them down.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

baelthazar wrote:
Lordnine wrote:
How do I get that? I thought that they were all sold out. Also, isn't the KS for the second edition with some updates? I got the one with the minis, because I am insane. Is it any good? I may end up dropping it, because I also have Masmorra and Massive Darkness coming.
You can put in a preorder at quite a few places for the new edition that is part of the Kickstarter print run. Here is just one for $40.

The creator has been pretty upfront about the fact that he cant compete with online retail prices. What I am planning to do is to pledge for only the minis and maybe an expansion and then pickup the base game retail and save a few bucks.