DNC E-Mail Wikileaks

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: DNC E-Mail Wikileaks

Post by Max Peck »

FBI Director James Comey Is Unfit for Public Service
James Comey should not simply be fired as director of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. He must be barred forever from any form of public service.

In the last 10 days, Comey has whipsawed the election for president of the United States. Now we know he did it for no reason. When his agents found information that suggested there were emails on a laptop that might have relevance to the investigation of Hillary Clinton and her email servers, Comey did not wait until he knew even a scintilla of information before announcing it to the world. Reasonably, lots of voters assumed there must be a there there—who could imagine a person with the power of the FBI director would turn the election on its head for no particular reason, on the basis of nothing?

Then, Sunday, Comey handed down another missive from on high: Never mind. His agents had looked through the emails and decided they were piffle. His majesty, the FBI director, has not yet deigned to officially inform his subjects—the American people—whether the emails related to the Clinton case or what they were. (However, people involved in the case tell Newsweek that almost all of them were duplicates of what the bureau already had or were personal.) He just said “nothing to see here” and waived us on our way.

Well, forget it, Jim. We’re not moving on. America has just witnessed one of the most—if not the most—egregious abuses of power in the service of one man’s ego in its history. Joseph McCarthy and A. Mitchell Palmer at least believed they were fighting a Communist threat. Richard Nixon, in Watergate, at least had the motive of retaining power and covering up wrongdoing. But Comey—who I do not believe did this for partisan reasons—has no such motive. This was about him, about preserving his now forever-destroyed reputation, about preening with his self-satisfied standing as a maverick who acts based on what he thinks is right, regardless of others’ opinion. But there is a very thin line between being independent and being reckless. And Comey has demonstrated he does not know the difference.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

This would make it even worse, but I can't buy that the guy is that stupid, and I'm very likely to believe someone else could easily have put the sign there...

Enlarge Image
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smutly

Post by Smutly »

malchior wrote:My FB feed is already filling with folks talking how it is impossible they reviewed 635000 emails in a week, etc. That's why you don't open your trap in the first place.
I heard that Comey ended the "re-investigation" after he read his suicide note in HRC's e-mails.

:ninja:
Black Lives Matter*

*Terms and Conditions Apply
Scoop20906

Post by Scoop20906 »

I've read many people at the State Department are forgoing emails altogether and using encrypted slack to communicate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoop. Makeup and hair are fabulous. - Qantaga

Xbox Gamertag: Scoop20906
Steam: Scoop20906
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smutly wrote:
malchior wrote:My FB feed is already filling with folks talking how it is impossible they reviewed 635000 emails in a week, etc. That's why you don't open your trap in the first place.
I heard that Comey ended the "re-investigation" after he read his suicide note in HRC's e-mails.

:ninja:
Ok, that's funny. :D
Rip

Post by Rip »

Scoop20906 wrote:I've read many people at the State Department are forgoing emails altogether and using encrypted slack to communicate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No one knows more about slack than the state department.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Incidentally...
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Holman wrote:Incidentally...
The second picture in that article is great.
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I think we can now safely say Julian Assange is, if not an agent, then a Russian asset.
malchior

Post by malchior »

What I don't understand is the pull Putin suddenly has in so many countries. Is the West so corrupt that they have dirt on nearly everyone? Are our values that warped all of a sudden?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

malchior wrote:What I don't understand is the pull Putin suddenly has in so many countries. Is the West so corrupt that they have dirt on nearly everyone? Are our values that warped all of a sudden?
Several things:

1. Yes, every country and pretty much every politician will have some dirt of some sort.
2. But no, it's not that bad. I mean, nothing that released on Clinton or the DNC was shocking or terrible.
3. But innuendo and the ability to remove context and customize what you release can make things look worse than they are. Especially when you have one side ready to eat it all up.
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote:What I don't understand is the pull Putin suddenly has in so many countries. Is the West so corrupt that they have dirt on nearly everyone? Are our values that warped all of a sudden?
It's not just dirt or blackmail, although there's probably some of that too. (It's rumored that the FSB has video of Trump's sexual indiscretions during his time at the Russian Miss Universe pageant.) It's ideology and fallout from the War on Terror.

In Europe, Putin is popular among reactionaries because he funnels money into Far-Right parties across the continent. Moscow's dream is to restore Russian imperial power, and the easiest way to do that (with no reforms required) is to lead a league of European states defined in racial terms. Putin has put a lot of political capital into the dream of a white "Christian" Europe, and that's why he's a hero to fascists in Europe and the Alt-Right in the USA.

Trump's flirtation with white nationalism plays right into Putin's hands whether Trump wants it or not. Assange's allegiance to Putin is presumably more intentional.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Holman wrote:
In Europe, Putin is popular among reactionaries because he funnels money into Far-Right parties across the continent. Moscow's dream is to restore Russian imperial power, and the easiest way to do that (with no reforms required) is to lead a league of European states defined in racial terms. Putin has put a lot of political capital into the dream of a white "Christian" Europe, and that's why he's a hero to fascists in Europe and the Alt-Right in the USA.
I just figured he wants to fuck around with the West (and hurt our democracies) because of how we've responded to him and pose a threat to his ambitions. I didn't realize he believed in that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It will be hard for Putin to unite Europe under the Eastern Orthodoxy:
In return for public support from Russian Orthodox clergy, President Vladimir Putin attends church services and portrays himself as a defender of “Christian values.” Like the Byzantine emperors and Russian czars before him, he is using a de facto state religion to unify his empire!

“The Orthodox revival gave Russians an identity after the years of uncertainty that followed the fall of the Soviet Union,” private intelligence company Stratfor wrote last month. “The Kremlin has used this to its advantage, so effectively portraying support for Putin’s government as a religious duty that the church is now seen as part of the state apparatus.”
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Wait, so Putin is a soulless minion of Orthodoxy? That makes sense.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Eastern Orthodoxy for Putin is just Russian nationalism. He has talked about "Christian Europe" more broadly in ways that make it clear what non-Christian populations he's demonizing.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Holman wrote:Incidentally...
Okay, so now can we "drone" him?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

DANIEL ELLSBERG, EDWARD SNOWDEN, AND THE MODERN WHISTLE-BLOWER: From their backgrounds to their motivations, the two men have some striking differences.

A long read (but not as long a read as Ellsberg went through...) but worth a look if you're interested in the issue.
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Hey look, even Fox News is pointing out that this is totally unsubstantiated and is being refuted by his family.
But a spokesman for Rich's family on Tuesday said Wheeler was not authorized to speak for the family and called assertions Seth Rich sent emails to WikiLeaks "unsubstantiated." Brad Bauman said even if purported emails were to surface, it would not necessarily mean Rich had helped WikiLeaks.

"Even if tomorrow, an email was found, it is not a high enough bar of evidence to prove any interactions as emails can be altered and we've seen that those interested in pushing conspiracies will stop at nothing to do so," Bauman said. "We are a family who is committed to facts, not fake evidence that surfaces every few months to fill the void and distract law enforcement and the general public from finding Seth's murderers."
:naughty:

Now, go find those Trump and the urinating hookers photos we all know exist and stop wasting your time perpetuating fake news.

:pop:
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

Let me guess: this WikiLeaks-related story broke about 30 minutes after it was clear that Trump's intel giveaway would be dominating the headlines?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Good grief. This is incredibly stupid. BTW this is nicely referenced in the Buzzfeed link I posted in the deathwatch thread. Dance for your puppet masters (*cough* Russia *cough*) Rip.
Enough

Post by Enough »

While drinking your coffee maybe you can read up on Rod Wheeler who is the basis for this debunked story. Wheeler is the same paid Fox guest/wannabe investigator dude who claimed there were angry lesbian gangs sporting pink pistols all over across the nation raping young girls and attacking hetero males among other choice claims. :roll:
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You actually just added veracity to the story in Rip's eyes.
Covfefe!
msteelers

DNC E-Mail Wikileaks

Post by msteelers »

**cough**
Seth Rich, slain DNC staffer, had contact with WikiLeaks, say multiple sources - Fox News
Let's not give them too much credit.
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:Hey look, even Fox News is pointing out that this is totally unsubstantiated and is being refuted by his family.
But a spokesman for Rich's family on Tuesday said Wheeler was not authorized to speak for the family and called assertions Seth Rich sent emails to WikiLeaks "unsubstantiated." Brad Bauman said even if purported emails were to surface, it would not necessarily mean Rich had helped WikiLeaks.

"Even if tomorrow, an email was found, it is not a high enough bar of evidence to prove any interactions as emails can be altered and we've seen that those interested in pushing conspiracies will stop at nothing to do so," Bauman said. "We are a family who is committed to facts, not fake evidence that surfaces every few months to fill the void and distract law enforcement and the general public from finding Seth's murderers."

Now, go find those Trump and the urinating hookers photos we all know exist and stop wasting your time perpetuating fake news.

Nice that he is already working on his "they were altered" bit for when they inevitably come out.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Rip wrote:
hepcat wrote:Hey look, even Fox News is pointing out that this is totally unsubstantiated and is being refuted by his family.

Nice that he is already working on his "they were altered" bit for when they inevitably come out.
Plot twist... it was the Russians who murdered him. :horse:

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Enough wrote:
Rip wrote:

Plot twist... it was the Russians who murdered him. :horse:
Not much of a twist. The Russians murder everybody. :coffee:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Enough

Post by Enough »

LOL,
But Tuesday afternoon, Wheeler told CNN he had no evidence to suggest Rich had contacted Wikileaks before his death.

Wheeler instead said he only learned about the possible existence of such evidence through the reporter he spoke to for the FoxNews.com story. He explained that the comments he made to WTTG-TV were intended to simply preview Fox News' Tuesday story. The WTTG-TV news director did not respond to multiple requests for comment.

"I only got that [information] from the reporter at Fox News," Wheeler told CNN.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote:
hepcat wrote:

Whoa, you think Trump will get away with claiming he was photoshopped into those pictures when they're released? :ninja:
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Aaaannnnddddd boom goes the dynamite.
"NOT RUSSIA, BUT AN INSIDE JOB?" asked Breitbart, the far-right website previously led by White House chief strategist Steve Bannon, which said that "if proven, the report has the potential to be one of the biggest cover-ups in American political history, dispelling the widespread claim that the Russians were behind hacks on the DNC."
"DEAD DNC STAFFER 'HAD CONTACT' WITH WIKILEAKS," declared the headline of the Drudge Report, the highly-trafficked conservative news destination.
Fox News on Tuesday morning joined in the chorus, publishing a lead story on its website about the "DC MURDER MYSTERY." The story said Wheeler had made the claim Wikileaks had been in contact with Rich. It added that a federal investigator, who it said had spoken on the condition of anonymity, corroborated it.
But Tuesday afternoon, Wheeler told CNN he had no evidence to suggest Rich had contacted Wikileaks before his death.
Wheeler instead said he only learned about the possible existence of such evidence through the reporter he spoke to for the FoxNews.com story. He explained that the comments he made to WTTG-TV were intended to simply preview Fox News' Tuesday story. The WTTG-TV news director did not respond to multiple requests for comment.
"I only got that [information] from the reporter at Fox News," Wheeler told CNN.
Asked about a quote attributed to him in the Fox News story in which he said his "investigation up to this point shows there was some degree of email exchange between Seth Rich and Wikileaks," Wheeler said he was referring to information that had already been reported in the media.
Rip, you need a moment alone? :whistle:
Covfefe!
Enough

Post by Enough »

Whoaa is there an echo in here?

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh for cryin' out loud. That's twice this week I've done that. :doh:

I wish I could say I was drunk, but I simply overlooked your post. :oops:
Covfefe!
Quipp

Post by Quipp »

Enough wrote:
While drinking your coffee maybe you can read up on Rod Wheeler who is the basis for this debunked story. Wheeler is the same paid Fox guest/wannabe investigator dude who claimed there were angry lesbian gangs sporting pink pistols all over across the nation raping young girls and attacking hetero males among other choice claims. :roll:
Hell, with that resume Trump will probably have him running the FBI by the end of next week.
Enough

Post by Enough »

The alt right now has their own Louise Mensch and it's Kim Dotcom who promises tomorrow to share a mega upload of incontrovertible proof that his buddy Seth Rich was murdered for being Wikileaks deep throat.

Holman

Post by Holman »

Enough wrote:The alt right now has their own Louise Mensch and it's Kim Dotcom who promises tomorrow to share a mega upload of incontrovertible proof that his buddy Seth Rich was murdered for being Wikileaks deep throat.
So how's it supposed to work?

The conspiracy fantasy is that Rich was was murdered for giving emails to WikiLeaks, right? And this absolves the Russians from hacking the DNC?

How does this debunk the interception of communications between various Trump figures and the Russians? Is that supposedly all a Deep State lie to bring down Trump?
Enough

Post by Enough »

Holman wrote:
Enough wrote:The alt right now has their own Louise Mensch and it's Kim Dotcom who promises tomorrow to share a mega upload of incontrovertible proof that his buddy Seth Rich was murdered for being Wikileaks deep throat.
So how's it supposed to work?

The conspiracy fantasy is that Rich was was murdered for giving emails to WikiLeaks, right? And this absolves the Russians from hacking the DNC?

How does this debunk the interception of communications between various Trump figures and the Russians? Is that supposedly all a Deep State lie to bring down Trump?
Don't waste any brain cells, I just read his statement and it's a big fat nothing burger. And of course it is, since if mr. dotcom had any mega evidence on who killed Seth Rich one would hope he would have shared it immediately after the murder and not wait until it was at peak politics/conspiracy land to trout it out months later.

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Is it me or was this done in a way that doesn't actually refute the vile fake news that they repeatedly reported on?
Holman

Post by Holman »

It will be nice to see Sean Hannity and Newt Gingrich apologize and explain to their followers that they were wrong and that there's nothing to this story.