The Art of the Donald Trumpocalypse

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

GreenGoo

Re: The Art of the Donald Trumpocalypse

Post by GreenGoo »

Defiant wrote:
:lol:

I'm gunna order a Mazel Tov Cocktail the next time I go to a bar mitzvah.
ftfy.

Ok, I stole it from the comments. Still needed to be done.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

How the Harry Reid Machine May Have Killed Trump's Chances:
Now, in virtually ensuring that Clinton has enough votes banked in early voting to take Nevada, Reid can ride off into the sunset knowing he has created perhaps the most fearsome political machine in history, one that will have delivered three successive victories to Democratic presidential nominees, saved himself in 2010 and probably filled his seat this cycle with his chosen successor. He might also have cemented Nevada’s bellwether status–only once in the last century (1976) has the state failed to vote for the eventual winner.

Yes, they still have to count the votes Tuesday. And I suppose a miracle could occur, all the data and history could be wrong and Trump could win Nevada.

But saying that almost certainly will not occur is not idle speculation, nor does it have anything to do with either campaign, even though Trump’s essentially is nonexistent here: It’s about math.
In short, everyone Hispanic.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote:I'm sure that is what the Clintons tell themselves about Qatar giving homosexuals lashes and tossing them in jail as they extend their hands for that nice big check.
I'll just leave this here.

:pop:
He won. Period.
tgb

Post by tgb »

hepcat wrote:
Rip wrote:I'm sure that is what the Clintons tell themselves about Qatar giving homosexuals lashes and tossing them in jail as they extend their hands for that nice big check.
I'll just leave this here.

:pop:
"How much for the woman? Your woman. How much?"
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Now at 89. Nothing terribly surprising or things that we haven't heard before.

I did find this tweet rather silly though, considering lots of what he's throwing out there is of the "I heard..." and "A friend said..." variety.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote:

I did find this tweet rather silly though, considering lots of what he's throwing out there is of the "I heard..." and "A friend said..." variety.
No, but it's a great and concise summary of who Trump is as a person. And I imagine that many of these would come as a surprise to many voters.
Black Lives Matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Skinypupy wrote:

As I understand it, the tweets are a recap of the last 6 months of reporting that he's done for Newsweek, so there is likely more substance to be found in the articles than in the tweetstorm itself. That also explains why they aren't news to anyone that's been paying attention to Trump-related coverage.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

A lot of those Eichenwald tweets are kind of embarrassing. Trump cheats at golf??? Not really what I'd call the results of a serious journalistic investigation. :roll:

Please let this end.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
tgb

Post by tgb »

I'll see your 84 and raise you 92 more. Although that list is a month old, so the number is considerably higher.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Heh, such the paragon of moral consistency...
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

Kurth wrote:A lot of those Eichenwald tweets are kind of embarrassing. Trump cheats at golf??? Not really what I'd call the results of a serious journalistic investigation. :roll:
It's a data point among many others, and it just adds more weight to the whole.
Kurth wrote: Please let this end.
This election cycle has been surreal...looking forward to Wednesday morning.
AjD

Post by AjD »

Max Peck wrote:As I understand it, the tweets are a recap of the last 6 months of reporting that he's done for Newsweek, so there is likely more substance to be found in the articles than in the tweetstorm itself. That also explains why they aren't news to anyone that's been paying attention to Trump-related coverage.
Yes, Eichenwald's research is largely based on court records he uncovered while reporting for Newsweek. It is difficult to dispute lots of it, if you can at least accept the reliability of court records.

Of course, Trump's people don't (or won't).

But I think there's something about this "big list" of tweets -- 100+ entries and counting -- that's remarkably effective. Sure, they're already-published stories. But when recounting Trump's past behaviors on one huge list, I think that's the main point.

Trump (and his supporters) have been relentless in casting doubt each and every time a negative story like any of these has been reported by the press. They have been remarkably successful with this approach, in part because the response of journalists (and thoughtful people in comment sections everywhere) has been to dig deeper and present more evidence to "prove" each negative story is, in fact, true.

That defense doesn't work with Trump. Each new shred of evidence can be tossed aside with a new lie (or counter-accusation). But by piling story-upon-story into a list of tweets, Eichenwald shines a bright light on the sheer preponderance of negatives surrounding Trump. This "bigger picture" is something the mainstream press has NOT done a good of reporting on, most of the time. (They delve into the latest/greatest story; then move on to the next.)

IMHO, this list displays the larger context of how Donald J. Trump operates, and more importantly, illuminates the quality of person he clearly seems to be. It really is something to behold. Compared to Trump, Hillary is a rank amateur when it comes to this kind of stuff.

(Of course, I fully expect some Trump surrogate to begin tweeting their own list about Hillary Clinton -- assuming they can find enough convincing material to make such a copycat endeavor worthwhile at this late stage. Her resume of explicit negative stories is far, far shorter.)
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Kurth wrote:A lot of those Eichenwald tweets are kind of embarrassing. Trump cheats at golf??? Not really what I'd call the results of a serious journalistic investigation. :roll:

Please let this end.
Meh. If you were writing a biography you'd probably leave that in. It may not be overly relevant for an election but it does give some insight into the person he is, especially if he's cheating while trying to hide it from his golf partners.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Trump campaign just filed the first election lawsuit, in Nevada. Who had the over/under for 10:15am Pacific time?

Lawsuit claims that early voting polls were improperly kept open for hours past closing time last Friday.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Defiant wrote:
Trust but verify......

:ninja:
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

That picture is unbelievably awesome. So awesome I initially thought it was doctored.

I don't even care if it's not what it appears to be. The fact that it exists is good enough.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ok, wtf. Now the universe is just screwing with me.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

To me, they both look more like they're cribbing the answers from their better halves.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Too easy!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Max Peck wrote:To me, they both look more like they're cribbing the answers from their better halves.
I agree, except in my case it looks like they are trying to figure out how to fill out a ballot.

So not so much needing help with the answer as needing help with the mechanics of doing so. Like they are in grade school or never voted before, or both.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

GreenGoo wrote:
Max Peck wrote:To me, they both look more like they're cribbing the answers from their better halves.
I agree, except in my case it looks like they are trying to figure out how to fill out a ballot.

So not so much needing help with the answer as needing help with the mechanics of doing so. Like they are in grade school or never voted before, or both.
That's actually exactly what I was thinking :D
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

gilraen wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:

That's actually exactly what I was thinking :D
I saw a tweet that said he was trying to see how to spell "X"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

When I went out to retrieve this morning's newspaper, I noticed two Trump signs planted prominently on my lawn. Some joker had put them up overnight.

I brought them in and showed Wife, who was horrified. Who would do such a thing?

Easy: Her brother would. While he's not a Trump supporter, he is a lifelong Republican; he does not understand that (to us) a Trump sign is a hate symbol on a par with the confederate flag. We don't know for a fact yet that he was responsible, but it's consistent with his sense of humor.

Wife posted about it on that neighborhood web forum asking if anybody else had been attacked overnight. Nobody had, and two neighbors expressed relief that we are not, in fact, deplorables. Other neighbors undoubtedly saw the signs without seeing our explanation.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Kraken wrote:Wife posted about it on that neighborhood web forum asking if anybody else had been attacked overnight. Nobody had, and two neighbors expressed relief that we are not, in fact, deplorables. Other neighbors undoubtedly saw the signs without seeing our explanation.
I like how she refers to it as being "attacked". :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kraken wrote:Other neighbors undoubtedly saw the signs without seeing our explanation.
Suitably deface them and put them back out there. Make it clear.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Holman wrote:
Kraken wrote:Other neighbors undoubtedly saw the signs without seeing our explanation.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The area has been slathered with Trump signs lately. Tons of 'Trump Digs Coal' signs, too. I'll be happy to see them all go.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Eric Trump may have broken law with ballot tweet
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/08/politics/ ... index.html

LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

RunningMn9 wrote:
Kraken wrote:Wife posted about it on that neighborhood web forum asking if anybody else had been attacked overnight. Nobody had, and two neighbors expressed relief that we are not, in fact, deplorables. Other neighbors undoubtedly saw the signs without seeing our explanation.
I like how she refers to it as being "attacked". :)
It was a microaggression against our safe space. :D
Holman wrote:
If it were earlier in the cycle I might do that. At this late date I just want Trump's name to sink back into reality tv land ASAP. The fact that the signs promptly disappeared, plus routine neighborhood chatter, should get the message across (or make it go away, as the case may be).
Dave Allen

Post by Dave Allen »

I was up and at the polls with my wife by 8am to vote.

I've got to admit I've not been very thoughtful or kept up with the issues which should be most important. I've found it difficult to seriously choose whom I want to be the next President of the United States - mainly because both candidates are liars; that the lies told by Hillary are on a much higher intellectual plane I fail to appreciate, because like I said, I'm not much at intellectualizing.

Since I don't see any moral ground for either candidate to appeal to me, I've found myself looking at the them through my "gamer goggles". I mean, I've spent a big chunk of my life making decisions on which game I want based on their sheer entertainment value. I live in an entertainment hungry society. And look at all the entertainment value Donald has initiated in just this one, lonely thread. So with this habit of soul, I voted for Donald Trump this morning so I could enjoy watching him. Hillary would have bored me to tears. :?
Jesus said, "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body."[Matt 10:28] God can totally destroy us.

Jesus also said, "For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”[John 6:40] Eternal life is conditional.

His disciple John wrote, "Whoever has the Son has eternal life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life. [1 John 5:12] Eternal life is optional.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Dave Allen wrote:
Since I don't see any moral ground for either candidate to appeal to me, I've found myself looking at the them through my "gamer goggles". I mean, I've spent a big chunk of my life making decisions on which game I want based on their sheer entertainment value. I live in an entertainment hungry society. And look at all the entertainment value Donald has initiated in just this one, lonely thread. So with this habit of soul, I voted for Donald Trump this morning so I could enjoy watching him. Hillary would have bored me to tears. :?

;)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Dave Allen wrote:Since I don't see any moral ground for either candidate to appeal to me, I've found myself looking at the them through my "gamer goggles". I mean, I've spent a big chunk of my life making decisions on which game I want based on their sheer entertainment value. I live in an entertainment hungry society. And look at all the entertainment value Donald has initiated in just this one, lonely thread. So with this habit of soul, I voted for Donald Trump this morning so I could enjoy watching him. Hillary would have bored me to tears. :?
Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
milo

Post by milo »

Yeah, I'm really having a hard time reliably identifying satire with this election.
--milo
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Entertainment only goes up to the point where it intersects with people's actual lives. What's Trump entertaining you now is Trump having a measurably negative effect on the lives of others. That's vastly less entertaining.

Someone getting a football to the groin on America's Funniest Home Videos is entertaining. Watching someone standing next to you get a football to the groin shouldn't be entertaining. Getting a football to the groin yourself is definitely not entertaining. In this case, you seem to have voted Trump in hopes of getting the first thing, but it's very likely you'll get the second or third.

Unless satire. In which case, it flew over my head.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
stessier

Post by stessier »

Bill Belichick''s letter to Trump was the best example I've seen.

Edit...this was in response to milo.
Last edited by stessier on Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles