[Obsidian] Tyranny

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

malchior

Re: [Obsidian] Tyranny

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote:If only this came out today... How appropriate would that be?

Anyway, I've been going back and forth on picking this up. I loved (loved) PoE--still using it as my avatar, even. But I never made time to go back and play the expansion. That said, I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy this one, and would like to support Obsidian.

Dilemmas.
The expansion was fantastic. Highly recommend it.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'll check it out. I vaguely recall some bitching (probably from me) about it being set prior to the end of the base game rather than after. Any tips / memory refreshes on how I should dive back in? (Location, mindset, etc...)
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zaxxon wrote:I'll check it out. I vaguely recall some bitching (probably from me) about it being set prior to the end of the base game rather than after. Any tips / memory refreshes on how I should dive back in? (Location, mindset, etc...)
Snow. :)
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote:I'll check it out. I vaguely recall some bitching (probably from me) about it being set prior to the end of the base game rather than after. Any tips / memory refreshes on how I should dive back in? (Location, mindset, etc...)
Not explicitly. I played it straight it through so don't have any tips on returning. It is fairly high level though so it is meant to be played late game.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I loaded up a late save and went out to the area leading toward the White March...

...and promptly got steamrolled by the first quest. Gonna take a bit to reacquaint myself with my characters and the game's systems after 15 months off...
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zaxxon wrote:I loaded up a late save and went out to the area leading toward the White March...

...and promptly got steamrolled by the first quest. Gonna take a bit to reacquaint myself with my characters and the game's systems after 15 months off...
I still have to do the expansions and the dungeon area under the castle. I upgraded the castle and that was kinda silly.

Apparently in Tyranny, there are 'Spires' and you upgrade them and use them as 'way points' to fast travel. I am stuck at work all day today, so will not even see the game until much later tonight.

I watched a twitch person play the first hour or so of the game, and it looks like it plays exactly like POE, but you only make one character, and it has some cool new twists with the party combo's, and they really are going for a very immersive story, where there are quick links in the text that allow you to actually click on to see why someone called you X, or what the location that they reference is. It should provide the information that your 'character' would know as common knowledge, and some of it was based on what decisions you made in the initial opening 'story' mode to set up your characters starting rep and abilities.

So I am looking forward to the game. I have little time to play anymore, but still will play some today.
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Stop enticing me to get Tyranny today--don't need it yet but want in!

Also, I went back to that encounter in White March last night and mopped up. It's slowly coming back.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zaxxon wrote:Stop enticing me to get Tyranny today--don't need it yet but want in!

Also, I went back to that encounter in White March last night and mopped up. It's slowly coming back.
Then I will not go into how the story really seems like it has a ton of branching paths, so that there are real decisions to make, and tons of replayablity. :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Curse you.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

RMC wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:Stop enticing me to get Tyranny today--don't need it yet but want in!

Then I will not go into how the story really seems like it has a ton of branching paths, so that there are real decisions to make, and tons of replayablity. :)
Yeah, it sounds like 4 completely separate branches. So while some reports are "only" 25-30 hrs of gameplay per play through, it sounds like this might be a massively replayable game.

RPS review seemed mixed, but I love the way it sounds. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/1 ... -progress/
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I think I'm going to wait until you guys get some first impressions in, so let's get to page 2, stat!

[Edit- I am dumb.]
RMC

Post by RMC »

Zaxxon wrote:I think I'm going to wait until you guys get some first impressions in, so let's get to page 2, stat!

[Edit- I am dumb.]
I will get some impressions when I get home from work. Curse the man from preventing me from playing today... And having to pick up my daughter from school today even if the man let me leave early...

:)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Reviews are mixed, with some calling out limited choice and boring combat. Here's one that loved it:

Game Rant
In short, this is Game of Thrones, not Lord of the Rings. Being noble is all well and good in a standard fantasy story, but Tyranny makes sure that being smart is key. This is truly where Tyranny‘s quality really shines, steering the player off the path of a perfect avatar of incorruptible will.

Of course, the game is not perfect, and some may find the odd all-or-nothing decision regarding forces to recruit jarring, or the locations within the world itself a little too devoid of scope to be a truly immersive experience. However, it’s in the large concepts, and in its gentle manipulation of the player’s trained responses, that Tyranny finds its purpose. A must-have for fans of the genre, and a worthwhile title for those after a truly different experience.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The pre-load unlocked a few minutes early. It looks like there may be a launch-day patch, since there is an additional 1.7G download.

Edit: Or, on second thought, maybe that's just the digital extras...
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I picked this up last night to give me something to focus on, and I'm enjoying it so far. Intellectually I enjoyed Pillars of Eternity, but the setting never really grabbed me, but I'm finding the setting in Tyranny a lot more immersive for whatever reason.

One thing I really like that helps with immersion is the help text for certain things that shows up in conversation. For instance, there's a kind of choose your own adventure thing you do at the beginning as part of the character creation, and those choices effect a lot of little parts of the main story, and when those choices effect something and people reference it, it will turn the text blue, and if you hover over it, it will tell you it was because of such and such choice. It also has help text for characters, places, events, etc. Really handy for getting your bearings in the world, and really understanding the context of events.

Combat is pretty similar to PoE, so no surprises there.

Hopefully I'll have some more time to dig into it this weekend.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im so MEH these days on my life. 20 years ago...heck 10...Id be all over this. now I want it but if I never got it it wouldn't matter. I have nearly 40 games on my wishlist now lol.

So who is playing evil and who is being good?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I think I may get a refund, which actually pains me. The setting is neat and the artwork is cool. I love the premise. But even though I have only fought a couple of battles, the combat seems painfully dull. Sure, it is like PoE, but the pacing seems off and the ways skills are used makes me feel like a cross between the bad parts of an isometric RPG and an MMORPG. This may be something I could pick up when I do not have a ton of other awesome games, but since the reviews are also saying that late-game combat is still dull, I do not feel like slogging through it, even if the story is good.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Is the equipment more interesting than in PoE? I remember being bored to tears with the way items worked in that game, so much so that I pretty much ignored loot altogether.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Okay, I played for a little bit. Still not out of the 'intro' area, and not a ton of decisions to make yet in the story.

I saved some people I could have killed, and killed some I could have saved. I actually did what I wanted to do based on how I thought my character would react. I have not been trying to optimize one faction over another, so that' how I am playing.

The Good:
The characters you can get, actually have 'combo's' you unlock, and these combos change as you advance with the character in either Wrath or Favor. Basically are you nice, Favor, or a jerk Wrath. But it is not just being a jerk or nice to the character, but how you treat the faction that the character belongs too as well. It adds a dynamic to the game, that seems to be cool.
It is the same as POE, if you hated POE you will hate this game, setting or story are not going to overpower that the game play is the same. At least for as long as I played.
Different from your standard RPG that I have played recently. The decisions and what you are doing are different, and the main plot is somewhat others are, in that you are leveling up, and you are 'special' but what you are doing seems different.

The Bad:
It is POE again, just with a new story and different feel.
Game play and Combat are the same as POE. (That includes the items, but they have added 'Restore' potions so you can restore a character in combat.)
The factions and Wrath / Favor remind me slightly of the Mass Effect red vs Blue dialog. (I do want to say that I don't mind it, but I know some hated it.)

Overall:
I like it a ton, so far no bugs, and I have not gotten to the first Spire, which I think is the end of the first 'act'. I will come back and update that once I get to that point, but so far it is what I figured it would be, and it has been fun for the few hours I have played.

Ask any questions and I will try to answer them if I can.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

baelthazar wrote:I think I may get a refund, which actually pains me. The setting is neat and the artwork is cool. I love the premise. But even though I have only fought a couple of battles, the combat seems painfully dull. Sure, it is like PoE, but the pacing seems off and the ways skills are used makes me feel like a cross between the bad parts of an isometric RPG and an MMORPG. This may be something I could pick up when I do not have a ton of other awesome games, but since the reviews are also saying that late-game combat is still dull, I do not feel like slogging through it, even if the story is good.
I have to agree with the combat. My character has a 4 second recovery. So I bap someone with my staff and nothing happens for the next four seconds. The combat feels horribly slow compared to PoE. I'm going to keep playing, because I am enjoying the writing and the massive amount of lore they included. It's a great world. I'm hoping an early patch will cut the recovery times in half or something to make combat feel more responsive.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

The recovery is especially bizarre when you are a dual wield character. My guy will hit with a weapon and then sit there for a few seconds before hitting with another one. It just breaks the immersion for me.
Arnir
Location: Right here. No, a bit left. A bit up. Okay, close enough. Texas.

Post by Arnir »

I'm having a bad vision day so I'm probably missing something obvious in the game, but I cannot find the icon I'm supposed to click to turn character AI on and off. Can someone tell me where it is exactly?
Thanks.
Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
Chaosraven's D&D Party 2: Arthur Leadwyrm (now game 1) For your GPS PoI needs
"She needed a green card; I wanted a man card."
RMC

Post by RMC »

Arnir wrote:I'm having a bad vision day so I'm probably missing something obvious in the game, but I cannot find the icon I'm supposed to click to turn character AI on and off. Can someone tell me where it is exactly?
Thanks.
It's the character head on the left side of the screen right below the character portraits on the side.
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

RMC wrote:
Arnir wrote:I'm having a bad vision day so I'm probably missing something obvious in the game, but I cannot find the icon I'm supposed to click to turn character AI on and off. Can someone tell me where it is exactly?
Thanks.
It's the character head on the left side of the screen right below the character portraits on the side.
Thanks for the help. As always, now I can't understand how I missed it.
Blast from the past:Currently playing: Civ 4, HoI 3 (or at least trying to). Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.4ghz, PNY GeForce GTS 250 1GB, 4GB system ram, Vista 64.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Arnir wrote:
RMC wrote:
Thanks.
heh no problem. I am still looking for the select all party members button...
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

RMC wrote:heh no problem. I am still looking for the select all party members button...
I feel like there's a button on the interface below the AI toggle, but I can't recall for sure off the top of my head. I usually use the keyboard shortcut which is backspace if that helps.
Arnir

Post by Arnir »

RMC wrote:
Arnir wrote:
RMC wrote:
Thanks.
It's the button two icons below the one you showed me. Select all party members. Also backspace and F5. (according to the tool tips at least)
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

I'm digging the game so far. Combat is awfully slow and I'd much rather have something like BG2's combat, but the entire setting of the game is a breath of fresh air. It is smartly written. It's not eeeeevil as Dr. Evil or Dungeon Keeper. It's more subtle. Though keep in mind I'm like 6 hours total in so far.

The companions seem a bit of a weak point. There appears to be just the 1 tank character, 1 healer character, 1 mage, 1 bard, etc. You can customize the crap out of them, I guess, but it still seems too limited to me. The skill system is odd. I like that my dual wielding rogue-like character can use magic. But as someone said, when you enter combat my dual wielding character looks like he's standing still 90% of the time as he waits for his next round.

Anyways, so far I'm enjoying it more than PoE, and it's probably entirely due to the fun evil setting. There are some tough decisions to make. Do you execute someone? Do you betray a faction? What faction do you make fear you, what faction do you gain favor with? Lots and lots of decisions to be made from the start of the game.
RMC

Post by RMC »

Arnir wrote:
RMC wrote:
Arnir wrote:
RMC wrote:
Thanks.
It's the button two icons below the one you showed me. Select all party members. Also backspace and F5. (according to the tool tips at least)
Man, I can't believe I missed that. Sigh. thanks!
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

I'm finding combat more enjoyable at high speed. Though I suppose it wouldn't be possible on harder difficulties.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Loving the story so far but the combat does drag it down. 4 vs. 4 combats take several minutes with that goofy recovery system. I am already planning a playthrough to see how much it'd change if I favored the dishonored more.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Lordnine wrote:Is the equipment more interesting than in PoE? I remember being bored to tears with the way items worked in that game, so much so that I pretty much ignored loot altogether.
it is similar. I pick up loot to sell it. I am probably 50% through and am wearing mostly the same armor. I tried comparing stuff early and gave up.
cheeba

Post by cheeba »

Yeah loot is not great. There's not been much progression. If you're really into loot and equipping your companions up, you'll be disappointed, too. Some of your companions can only take one or two items. The artifacts are pretty cool, though. You can get some items - and you'll know them when you get them - that are artifacts and essentially have their own reputation and a skill you unlock that gets more powerful as the reputation progresses.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Good point - artifacts are about the only thing I care about loot wise.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Two quick questions:

1. Are there optional difficulty levels? I'm mostly a "play on easy and enjoy the story" kinda guy, not sure if that's an option.
2. Do we know how long it is? Wondering if it's something I can plow through in a couple weeks or not.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Skinypupy wrote:Two quick questions:

1. Are there optional difficulty levels? I'm mostly a "play on easy and enjoy the story" kinda guy, not sure if that's an option.
Yeah, there are basic settings (including one called story mode), and some smaller settings to turn on and off individual elements to make the game harder/easier.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Great review, I really enjoy that guy's stuff.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Does the choice of a male or female character really make any difference? And then there was the whole bit about land owners versus ship captains, is that actually in the game or just backstory?
-mf
Jolor

Post by Jolor »

Early moments impressions are good. Very unique start and I really feel like the choices I make will cement my place in this world.

Roleplay intent is to play someone who has survived the attack on their own homeland through their wits and appearing to go along with the conquerors while planning their overthrow. I shall appear the loyal servant - willing to show absolute brutality when required - but have sympathy for countrymen who are suffering the fate of my lost family. Diplomacy shall be my cloak while I leverage my teachings to weaken the enemy while being a conduit of strength to our fists. My plan is to gain knowledge and to sow dissent wherever possible. I shall be ruthless but not solely in the ways expected of me. My name, for those who care about such things, is Baru.
So sayeth the wise Alaundo.