FFG... er, Asmodee Holiday sale!

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Daveman

FFG... er, Asmodee Holiday sale!

Post by Daveman »

So the big holiday sale has been posted!

https://holiday-sale.fantasyflightgames.com/

I feel a little sad because a game I love, Battlelore 2nd Edition, is included and in the past it seems putting games up on this sale is the same as putting them out to pasture. I was a somewhat frequent poster for the game on BGG and the FFG forums and I was delighted when I was asked to help beta test their Undead expansions. My only "contribution" in the gaming world but it was fun and I've been hoping to get another email asking for help with other expansions but it looks like Battlelore might be done.

I haven't browsed the whole thing yet but Battlelore is at a huge discount.
Blackhawk

Re: FFG... er, Asmodee Holiday sale!

Post by Blackhawk »

Damn. I've got Battlelore, and have been thinking of picking up expansions, but I don't have the budget right now.

If you could only get one or two, which would they be?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

If you are looking for any of the Warhammer RPG books, that is a ridiculous deal, most are $5.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

The core set has two factions... I'd suggest picking up the Guardians of Hernfar and the Warband of Scorn. Each adds 4 new unit types, some additional infantry from the core set, and new lore and scenario cards. Basically they make the game "deeper", giving you more gameplay and army building options for those 2 core factions. For $30 total that's a steal.

The 2 Undead expansions (Heralds of Dreadfall and Terror of the Mists) introduce a 3rd faction to the game. If you're happy with the core set factions as they are but would like to add the Undead get the Heralds of Dreadfall for $15. Terror of the Mists adds the more "special" units that the Hernfar and Scorn expansions give to the core set so I wouldn't get it if you're only going to get 1 Undead pack.

The 3 neutral units are nice, especially for $5 each but they don't add anywhere near as much as the other expansions do.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Daveman wrote:
The 2 Undead expansions (Heralds of Dreadfall and Terror of the Mists) introduce a 3rd faction to the game. If you're happy with the core set factions as they are but would like to add the Undead get the Heralds of Dreadfall for $15. Terror of the Mists adds the more "special" units that the Hernfar and Scorn expansions give to the core set so I wouldn't get it if you're only going to get 1 Undead pack.
Question, would they be unbalanced or just different? I kind of like the idea of having a third army that plays completely different.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

In Battlelore each player builds a 50 point army, with units costing anywhere from 3-10 points a piece, and you can build a 50 point army with the contents of either Undead expansion, so strictly speaking both are balanced... but I'd still recommend Heralds of Dreadfall.

1. The Core set gives each of the 2 factions in it a type of infantry, archer, cavalry, elite and legendary... but they're all very different. It's essentially 10 unique units. For example the Daqan cavalry is fast and has a nice supporting ability but they don't hit hard while the Uthuk cavalry is a little slower but hits harder and is stronger against units that have taken damage. So they play very differently. Heralds of Dreadfall starts the Undead player with the same 5 "types" of units but they're also all different. If you're not going all in and just buying one Undead pack, I prefer the symmetry of having all 3 factions with the same basics, but notably different in the details.

2. Terror of the Mists is sort of the B-side in terms of units, similar to the Hernfar and Scorn expansions to the Core set factions. They all give you extra standard infantry units, a new legendary unit and a spell caster, plus two other units which vary from set to set. Terror of the Mists has an alternate infantry type (Bone Horrors) which aren't all that good in our experience, and an alternate cavalry (Barghests) which are nice but I think the other set has better units overall. Heralds of Dreadfall includes the Wraith which is one of the more unique units in the game and I wouldn't miss out on them.

Having said that, Terror of the Mists does include the Undead spell caster, the Necromancer, which is a very strong unit. Can you just get everything? :P If you're not going all in I would still recommend getting the Core set and the Hernfar/Scorn expansions for an overall better experience, unless you really, really like Undead.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

It’s more that I like true asymmetry. Countering units with things that your faction doesn’t have is fun to me because it often means coming up with more creative solutions. I COULD get everything but it’s a two player game which means I probably won’t play it all that often…
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

The shipping costs are always killer on sales like these.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So either:

~Hernfall+Warband ($30) - Adds variety and depth to the two base armies in the core box (which I already own)

or

~Heralds ($15) - gives a third faction comparable to the two in the core box

or

~All four (above + Terrors) ($60) which gives you both the extra faction and the extra depth units for all three.

Out of curiosity, I added all four to my basket to see what the shipping would be, and it is only $15 to Indiana.

I will have to ponder this. My first thought is that I'm more likely to add the undead faction, simply because of the lower price point. I'd love to go for all four, but I just can't spend $75. I will ponder for a bit, and procrastinate until they're out of stock, then spend the next few years wishing I'd picked them up. I do this often. It saves money.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

El Guapo wrote:The shipping costs are always killer on sales like these.
Yeah, that was definitely the case for me in California. However, even factoring in the costly shipping, some prices are sufficiently low that the total cost still works out a good deal cheaper than buying from Amazon, CoolStuffInc, or Miniature Market and the like (e.g. I was mulling over perhaps buying Jamaica, which costs $20 + $16.60 for shipping to California, which still seems cheaper than buying from anywhere else).

Also, IIRC, Asmodee specifically restricts online discounting, so you may not see such favourable pricing elsewhere.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Lordnine wrote:It’s more that I like true asymmetry. Countering units with things that your faction doesn’t have is fun to me because it often means coming up with more creative solutions. I COULD get everything but it’s a two player game which means I probably won’t play it all that often…
Then either single Undead pack will do as you can make a 50 point army out of either.

Browsing the other items in the sale I thought the following were great deals...

Warhammer Diskwars for $10, both expansions for $5 each. I sold my copy as my son didn't like it but I loved the concept.

Jamaica for $20

Black Fleet for $10... more of a casual family game but that's been a hit whenever we bring it out.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Yeah, I ended up going for the base set plus Terror of the Mists. It just seemed more interesting.

While I was poking around a lot of people were talking like Battlelore might be discontinued soon. It would suck if I ended up loving it only to miss out on getting the others expansions, but at the same time, there is a good chance that this is a game I will only play a couple times a year.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I picked up Claustrophobia and Onward to Venus. Early Xmas present to myself!