Need board game recommendations

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Xmann

Re: Need board game recommendations

Post by Xmann »

OK, we just won our first game on literally the LAST move!

Very thrilling and fun gaming experience.

Our record is now 1-5
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Not bad! I think it took me ten games or so to finally win.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Now once you get the hang of Pandemic you will really be ready for Pandemic Legacy. You win more often in pandemic legacy BTW, but it really takes pandemic to the next level.

I need to play classic pandemic again, I haven't played it since finishing Pandemic legacy earlier this year.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Xmann: If you have any interest in acquiring the On the Brink expansion cheaply, it's currently available for $14.84 as an Amazon Lightning Deal for Prime members. For non-Prime members, it becomes available as of 1:30PM PST / 4:30PM EST.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:Xmann: If you have any interest in acquiring the On the Brink expansion cheaply, it's currently available for $14.84 as an Amazon Lightning Deal for Prime members. For non-Prime members, it becomes available as of 1:30PM PST / 4:30PM EST.
I saw that somewhere else. Is it worth it and add much?

I'm hoping I can find a couple Cyber Monday deals on some news games.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Anonymous Bosch

Xmann wrote:
Anonymous Bosch wrote:Xmann: If you have any interest in acquiring the On the Brink expansion cheaply, it's currently available for $14.84 as an Amazon Lightning Deal for Prime members. For non-Prime members, it becomes available as of 1:30PM PST / 4:30PM EST.
If you're a fan of Pandemic, absolutely.

IMHO, it's definitely the best of the available Pandemic expansions, and helps add significant depth, strategy, and variety to the base game. I'd say it's worth getting for the additional roles alone, but it also provides you with a nifty set of petri dishes to hold the cubes during play, which is another nice thematic touch. It does also provide additional options to ramp up the difficulty of the game, but they're all entirely optional, so you can add them if or when you feel the need for a greater challenge.
Xmann wrote:I'm hoping I can find a couple Cyber Monday deals on some news games.
Do you have any particular type of game in mind? Another co-op game or something else? Any particular theme that'd appeal to your family?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Anonymous Bosch wrote:
Xmann wrote:
If you're a fan of Pandemic, absolutely.

IMHO, it's definitely the best of the available Pandemic expansions, and helps add significant depth, strategy, and variety to the base game. I'd say it's worth getting for the additional roles alone, but it also provides you with a nifty set of petri dishes to hold the cubes during play, which is another nice thematic touch. It does also provide additional options to ramp up the difficulty of the game, but they're all entirely optional, so you can add them if or when you feel the need for a greater challenge.
Xmann wrote:I'm hoping I can find a couple Cyber Monday deals on some news games.
Do you have any particular type of game in mind? Another co-op game or something else? Any particular theme that'd appeal to your family?
We love Pandemic, but I'd like one or two more games to change it up. When we've played two or three games of Pandemic, I'd like something else.

I'm eyeing Zombicied or Letters from Whitechapel. Definitely something on the cooperative side of things. Also considering something I can do solo for myself like Mage Knight.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Anonymous Bosch

Xmann wrote:We love Pandemic, but I'd like one or two more games to change it up. When we've played two or three games of Pandemic, I'd like something else.

I'm eyeing Zombicied or Letters from Whitechapel. Definitely something on the cooperative side of things. Also considering something I can do solo for myself like Mage Knight.
Mage Knight's definitely a worthy choice, particularly if the notion of playing solo appeals to you. Though personally, I prefer the theme of Star Trek: Frontiers, which is a reimplementation of the Mage Knight board game. Other co-op games I'd also recommend:
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Xmann wrote:
Just in case it's not clear, Letters from Whitechapel is a one-vs-many game. One player controls Jack while the other player(s) control 5 police officers searching for him. It recently went out of print but we prefer a similar game of the same basic premise, Fury of Dracula. It might still be available.

I'll second previous recommendation for Forbidden Island and/or Forbidden Desert, and Castle Panic if you want a pure cooperative game. Forbidden Island might feel like a lite version of Pandemic but we've always preferred it. The Wizard Tower expansion for Castle Panic is highly suggested too.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If Letters from Whitechapel is unavailable, I'd recommend Last Friday over Fury of Dracula. Fury is complicated, and adds too much of a Monty Haul aspect that I don't like.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Fury of Dracula is what's out of print (a victim of FFG and GW parting company) not Letters from Whitechapel. I believe an expansion to LfW has recently been released. FoD is more complicated, but we prefer it. The 4 hunters play differently, items and special events, the RPS like card combat when you do track down Dracula. LfW felt to us like a team based Battleship... "I move here. Did Jack move through 123? No. Did Jack move through 127? No."
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Daveman wrote:Fury of Dracula is what's out of print (a victim of FFG and GW parting company)
And yet I still see it everywhere. FYI.
-mf
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Yeah, I saw where Letters from Whitechapel isn't cooperative. But I've watched way too many youtube videos and read ton of reviews and it just seems like a great game. We are just trying to avoid any games that are competitive in nature.

I know it's out of print along with Fury of Dracula, so I want to grab them before I'm forced to pay ridiculous prices for them.

I'm really looking at something solo too. Mage Knight and Star Trek Frontiers both seem like something id enjoy.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Isgrimnur wrote:If Letters from Whitechapel is unavailable, I'd recommend Last Friday over Fury of Dracula. Fury is complicated, and adds too much of a Monty Haul aspect that I don't like.
Are you referring to the Last Friday that looks like Friday the 13th?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yes. Played it with coop at BGGCon. A bit more complex than LfW, but it trades side goals every night for a bit of in-game variability.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Looks like Barnes and Nobles has a 30% off one item today and I'm trying to decide what game to get.

Wanted Zombicied or Letters from Whitechapel, but they are sold out.

I've narrowed it down to Dead of Winter, Harry Potter Hogwarts, and/or Fury of Dracula.

Any suggestions or any other ideas?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think Dead of Winter is insanely fun with the right crowd.
Covfefe!
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

hepcat wrote:I think Dead of Winter is insanely fun with the right crowd.
Considering Mansion of Madness since it will be <$60 after discounts
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I posted a quick write up on Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle over in the What did you play this weekend thread. My wife and daughter loved it, I was OK with it, the theme is fun, but (having played a lot of other co-op deck builders) I wasn't knocked out by it. If this would be your first co-op deck builder, I would highly recommend it, especially if you like the theme.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

hentzau wrote:I posted a quick write up on Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle over in the What did you play this weekend thread. My wife and daughter loved it, I was OK with it, the theme is fun, but (having played a lot of other co-op deck builders) I wasn't knocked out by it. If this would be your first co-op deck builder, I would highly recommend it, especially if you like the theme.
Definitely considering it. Never played a deck builder and not necessarily a fan of Harry Potter per say....

But I'm considering buying it as well.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Xmann, we should try and get together for some gaming one of these weekends. I have a bunch of co-op games, if you want to try some out. And while I try to avoid going south of 120th, it's not like you are that far away. :D

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Xmann wrote:
hentzau wrote:I posted a quick write up on Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle over in the What did you play this weekend thread. My wife and daughter loved it, I was OK with it, the theme is fun, but (having played a lot of other co-op deck builders) I wasn't knocked out by it. If this would be your first co-op deck builder, I would highly recommend it, especially if you like the theme.
Definitely considering it. Never played a deck builder and not necessarily a fan of Harry Potter per say....

But I'm considering buying it as well.
If you or your family is more of a Marvel fan I also really enjoy the Legendary Marvel Deck Building game. It certainly has more replayability than HP (from what I have seen so far.)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

TheMix wrote:Xmann, we should try and get together for some gaming one of these weekends. I have a bunch of co-op games, if you want to try some out. And while I try to avoid going south of 120th, it's not like you are that far away. :D
My wife loves board games perhaps more than me. She's all for getting together.

I found a board gaming pub in Denver that I would be interested in trying out as well.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Xmann wrote:
hepcat wrote:I think Dead of Winter is insanely fun with the right crowd.
Considering Mansion of Madness since it will be <$60 after discounts
I love Mansions of Madness (the new edition, that is). But I do need to add the caveat that the replay value of the game is low as of right now. You do get a bit more diversity in future attempts/replays of scenarios in terms of the map layout, monsters and clue placements, but the stories are going to be the same. With only 4 scenarios in the base game, that's not a lot of value in my opinion. But I think it will be eventually mitigated by in app scenario purchases.

That being said, I've had more fun with this game than I ever anticipated. I don't think I've ever played a game that didn't result in everyone enjoying themselves immensely. And although games can sometimes run a bit long, you always have the option to save a game in progress and return to it later.
Covfefe!
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hentzau wrote:If you or your family is more of a Marvel fan I also really enjoy the Legendary Marvel Deck Building game. It certainly has more replayability than HP (from what I have seen so far.)
I quite like Marvel Legendary. We have the base set and Secret Wars Vol. 1 expansion, which together provide a ton of variety -- and there are several more expansions available. The mechanics aren't deep or innovative, but they're easy to grasp, and the game just flies along once you get the gist.

I've read that some of the other Legendary games are better (especially the Alien game), but the Marvel theme really works for me.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Xmann wrote:Looks like Barnes and Nobles has a 30% off one item today and I'm trying to decide what game to get.

I've narrowed it down to Dead of Winter, Harry Potter Hogwarts, and/or Fury of Dracula.

I think Fury of Dracula is one of the games being discontinued, so that could influence your purchasing decision.

Edit: yup. Here's the list.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I haven't played Legendary Marvel, but one of our gaming group buds is a big fan and he likes Legendary Encounters: Alien better. My rudimentary understanding is that the "Encounters" games are more purely co-op in that they can be played solo, while the "Legendary" games have card mechanics that require a minimum of two. At any rate, I'd highly recommend any of those - that whole game system is an excellent balance of ease of play, luck, and strategy.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Note, Xmann, I have a copy of LE: Aliens. If that's one you want to tackle.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

TheMix wrote:Note, Xmann, I have a copy of LE: Aliens. If that's one you want to tackle.
Definitely would like to give it a try
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Keep it up and soon enough you'll be asking us for board game storage recommendations. :wink:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Anonymous Bosch

Xmann wrote:Looks like Barnes and Nobles has a 30% off one item today and I'm trying to decide what game to get.

In terms of Barnes and Noble, I'd recommend any of the following, all of which appear to be eligible for the 30% discount:
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I bought Dead of Winter and Mansions of Madness.

Tempted to do Star Trek as well.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Xmann wrote:I bought Dead of Winter and Mansions of Madness.

Seems like you're a bit over your 1 item quota... did you bring 3 family members?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anonymous Bosch

Go for it! You won't regret it (since it also plays exceptionally well as a solo game). :twisted:

FWIW, Miniature Market is currently offering Star Trek: Frontiers for $51.99 (you'll need to check what the cost of shipping is to your locale; it's typically $5.99 if you use their cheapest shipping method, though).
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote:Keep it up and soon enough you'll be asking us for board game storage recommendations. :wink:
The answer is Kallax.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Also Broken Token wooden game organizer inserts. Maybe even add BitBoxes to those Kallax, but we'll see how they work out when they arrive.

I would recommend King of Tokyo. It's competitive, but quick in pushing your luck with the dice. Everyone gets a chance to beat up on the player scoring points in Tokyo, who can attack everyone else back.

Also on the lighter side is Welcome to the Dungeon. Players play chicken about having to make it through a dungeon. Each turn, each player drafts a monster card and decides whether to chicken out or stay in. If you stay in, you must either add your monster to the dungeon or leave an item of equipment behind. If you're bluffing about going into the dungeon, you add difficult monsters. If you're serious about going into the dungeon, you add easy monsters or remove weak equipment. If you're messing with the other players, you can do that too. Eventually, someone has to brave the depths and finds out if they win or die.

Smallworld is an excellent territory control game that builds competition into the game mechanic. You start out with a race with a special trait, then deploy that race's population into the map. The weaker races have more population, and combat is a simple Euro mechanic of play enough population to overcome your foe. The foe will then lose a population, then retreat any remaining population to other spots. Eventually, you will run out of population and your turn will end. As you suffer attrition, you must choose strategically when to skip your turn and then pick out a new race with a new special trait for next turn. Cutting your losses and starting over is the most critical decision in the game. It's a great way to get revenge or come back from behind.

I also recommend Lords of Waterdeep as a nicely tuned worker placement game. You send a messenger to "pick up a guy from the inn" (or other location) and send them off on some foolhardy quest to score Victory Points. There's some intrigue, but it's mostly about temporarily blocking the other players but not getting so caught up that you're unable to complete your own quests.

If you want to eliminate the head-to-head competitiveness, Roll for the Galaxy is a winner. You build your own space-faring empire and use the combinations to power an engine -- to get cards, build techs, colonize planets, produce or trade. The main player interaction is choosing which of the 5 actions (cards, tech, colonization, production or trade) you activate. If no one chooses getting cards, no one draws cards that turn. There's a great balance between focusing on your own goals and riding the coattails of your opponent's goals. In Roll you're also subject to the whims of the dice you're rolling which are geared to benefit certain strategies/actions.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

While I think Mage Knight is a bit deeper (and to be fair, it has the advantage of numerous expansions), the theme, the more relaxed learning curve, and the more forgiving mechanics found in Star Trek Frontiers usually means I put it on the table over its older brother when I'm looking for a solo game.
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

hepcat wrote:

While I think Mage Knight is a bit deeper (and to be fair, it has the advantage of numerous expansions), the theme, the more relaxed learning curve, and the more forgiving mechanics found in Star Trek Frontiers usually means I put it on the table over its older brother when I'm looking for a solo game.
Cool... snagged a copy from B&N. :D
-mf
Anonymous Bosch

hepcat wrote:

Amen, I totally agree.

I was seriously impressed by just how much better the theme fits and works with Star Trek: Frontiers vs. Mage Knight. Also, given that Star Trek: Frontiers is still only months old, there's a reasonable likelihood that further expansions for it will be forthcoming. If/when Star Trek: Frontiers has two or three more expansions, it'll easily become the better game for me, as it definitely streamlines the right aspects of Mage Knight to enhance gameplay. That being said, there's certainly no shortage of content included with the ST: F base game; it only seems that way relative to all the available content for Mage Knight. In fact, if memory serves, I believe more missions are included with the ST: F base game than the Mage Knight base game.
Bad Demographic

Post by Bad Demographic »

I've seen a couple of recommendations in here for Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert and am wondering if you would recommend one over the other.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

Black Lives Matter