Miniature Display Options

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Smoove_B

Miniature Display Options

Post by Smoove_B »

Derek Zoolander: (Looks at the tiny scale model of the proposed center) "What is this?!? A center for ants?!?"
Mugatu: "What?"
Derek Zoolander: "How can we be expected to teach children to learn how to read if they can't even fit inside the building?"
I'm looking for recommendations people might have for display shelving or wall-mounted display cases for painted miniatures. I've seen all kinds of different things online, but wasn't sure if anyone could recommend something specific that they really liked. Miniature scale would be in the 25-32mm range, but if there were spaces to hold larger miniatures that would be fine too. All the minis would be on appropriately sized circular bases.

Anyway, there seem to be tons of options so I'm just looking to narrow them down a bit.

Thanks.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hentzau

Re: Miniature Display Options

Post by hentzau »

I've been trying to figure this out myself, specifically for my buildings for Zenda. I don't want to leave them out on open shelves because they would get dusty and cobwebby in my basement, and I would love to be able to display some of them with some figures. I'm planning on getting some Ikea shelves, and would love to find a glass fronted display shelf (like a lawyers cabinet, but only one layer) that would fit on top of them that I could store my buildings and figures in. It's a shame to do all of that hard work painting and never see the results.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm trying to get the damn things OFF my shelves. Zarathud and I have dropped about a hundred each on KR Multicases over the last few months. I had them lined up on my dresser, window ledges, slow moving neighborhood children....it was getting out of hand.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Look into thimble cases. Make sure you check the dimensions of the slots, though.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hentzau wrote:It's a shame to do all of that hard work painting and never see the results.
Yes, that's how I'm feeling now. Everything is locked away in Feldherr foam cases and it would be really nice to be able to have things displayed in a way that would keep them free from dust and not in danger of being knocked over. I'd think for a building you're looking at a much larger solution - like a display case.
hepcat wrote:I'm trying to get the damn things OFF my shelves. Zarathud and I have dropped about a hundred each on KR Multicases over the last few months. I had them lined up on my dresser, window ledges, slow moving neighborhood children....it was getting out of hand.
You'll miss them when they're hidden away. :D The cases I have were more about storage and travel, but now that my basement is semi-finished I think I'd like to set some pieces out for display.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I'd be worried about reminding the wife how much has been spent on plastic and metal little dudes. I'm trying to get consolidated into boxes for the prepainted plastic minis and aluminum KR Multicases for the Reaper minis overflow from my Crystal Caste cases.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

SAFE Publications offer a great selection of acrylic glass display cases and cabinets to choose from (e.g. here are their miniature display cases, and following Blackhawk's train of thought, here are their thimble display cases).
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Those are cool, although I was thinking something more like this. 1 3/4" x 1 3/4" squares would hold almost all 28mm miniatures unless they're posed in a really odd way.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Excellent. I appreciate all the information. There sure are a lot of elements associated with this hobby that I never considered. :D
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

What about a basic curio cabinet? Though, since they don't come with a lot of shelves, you'd probably want some way to set up tiers on each shelf. We picked up a pretty decent curio cabinet at Ikea for about $100. The only drawback is the lack of lighting. My brother suggested getting a separate light and then just drilling a small hole in the top for it. I'll probably end up going that route. The battery powered lights we got didn't last very long.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Encase each miniature in 17-foot vitrine, suspended in formaldehyde.