The Former Trump Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Re: The Trump Presidency Thread

Post by $iljanus »

Wow, I think person doing the tweeting in the ethics office is really eager to keep their job...or has a lot of toddlers and elementary school children at home.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Holman

Post by Holman »

$iljanus wrote:Wow, I think person doing the tweeting in the ethics office is really eager to keep their job...
I suspect they're retiring instead. That whole sequence was high snark.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
PLW

Post by PLW »

There is no way he is really going to divest, right?
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

PLW wrote:There is no way he is really going to divest, right?
Even if he did, he wouldn't hang his kids out to dry. So they will still be vested, and he will still be able to act in ways that benefit them (and thus him) at our expense.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

:pop:
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

El Guapo wrote:I told my boss that I was going to hold off on trainings until sometime next year, once I see what securities laws are left.
This is my year to attend the major January estate planning conference in Orlando. I'm ditching the last day of retrospective and perspective to attend Disney with the family because (1) I don't want to waste my time, (2) you can only speculate about tax base erosion so long before realizing you're going to end up re-litigating basic legal concepts. and (3) eventually waiting in line for hours to see Princesses for becomes more interesting and less depressing.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Defiant wrote: :pop:
I was bound to say it sooner or later - Ann Coulter is right.

The Medicare privatization effort is possibly the most intriguing political bomb of 2017. Pretty much no one is expecting it, since it was not mentioned at all in the election, and Medicare has strong bipartisan support (including among Trump's base).
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

President Bush immolated himself on Medicare reform at the start of his second term. I'm almost tempted to invite Trump to do the same in his first 100 days.

If the Trump Administration tries this foolishness, you know the machine Republicans are in charge of policy. It's the polar opposite of "Drain the Swamp."
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
tgb

Post by tgb »

It would happen the year I become eligible.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

"This is all a matter of opinion . . . there are no such things as facts.”

http://www.theatlantic.com/notes/2016/1 ... ts/509276/
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Captain Caveman

Post by Captain Caveman »

Grifman wrote:"This is all a matter of opinion . . . there are no such things as facts.”

Astounding. And this is a person who has a prominent position in the media.

We're so completely fucked.

:grund:
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

As I may have mentioned before, a few weeks ago Tucker Carlson was debating with some guest on his show about what "fake" news meant. Carlson's argument was how could you know what was "fake" vs. real news. He rejected the idea that you could tell "fake" news because it wasn't factually true. :grund: :grund: :grund:
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Grifman wrote:"This is all a matter of opinion . . . there are no such things as facts.”

Yikes.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

tgb wrote:

Yikes.
That's about right. There's a quote I remember from philosophy class (I wish I could remember who said it), "opinion is the lowest form of thought." That sums it up pretty well.
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Captain Caveman wrote:And this is a person who has a prominent position in the media.
Can you really say that, though? Isn't Breitbart article commenter WhtPrd88AH just as prominent, especially given his willingness to keep posting hour after hour despite the dankness of his basement and the shitty quality of his weed?
We're so completely fucked.
I choose to believe you mean "completely Great Again."
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Captain Caveman

She is on CNN all the time.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Captain Caveman wrote:She is on CNN all the time.
CNN has some real serious issues in general. Jeffrey Lord is a regular (IIRC) and he's incredibly problematic. But I think the worst is having Lewandowski as a regular paid (by CNN) commentator shortly after his active work on the Trump campaign and *while he was still subject to a non-disparagement agreement with the Trump campaign whose violation could have cost him substantial money.* I mean, good lord.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Furnaces, Donald. They make furnaces.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Skinypupy wrote: Furnaces, Donald. They make furnaces.
Hush you, perhaps he'll show up dressed for balmy, tropical Indiana December weather. William Henry Harrison redux FTW!
Black Lives Matter
tgb

Post by tgb »

Sure, that's just what the dishonest liars at the so-called New York Times would want you to believe, and why they're failing. Sad.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote:
CNN has some real serious issues in general. Jeffrey Lord is a regular (IIRC) and he's incredibly problematic. But I think the worst is having Lewandowski as a regular paid (by CNN) commentator shortly after his active work on the Trump campaign and *while he was still subject to a non-disparagement agreement with the Trump campaign whose violation could have cost him substantial money.* I mean, good lord.
I've pretty much written off CNN for this reason. On the surface hiring partisans from both sides to get deep insight sounds good for about 5 seconds. Most networks are happy to just invite them on to bullshit. But bringing them in-house? Bonkers. That they actually signed deals with them negates the judgement of their execs. I can't imagine their anchors wanted to deal with these clowns. SNL tore them apart for it - and nailed it perfectly with their Westworld sketch.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

She's not on there as a journalist but as a Trump surrogate. so what can you expect? She's an equivalent of Donna Brazzile.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Captain Caveman

Grifman wrote:
She's not on there as a journalist but as a Trump surrogate. so what can you expect? She's an equivalent of Donna Brazzile.
Yeah, she's a talking head. But even so, I would hope that a network presenting itself as "news" would avoid putting people on the air who claim that "there are no such things as facts". Differing perspectives and diversity of thought are good things. Denying that objective facts exist, however, means you're just being given a platform to propagate misinformation and propaganda.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

That's picking just to pick.

Carrier sells air conditioners and the brand is enhanced even if it's a dog and pony show.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

noxiousdog wrote:

Carrier sells air conditioners and the brand is enhanced even if it's a dog and pony show.
Sure, but if he's going to make a big public spectacle about how he swooped in and singlehandedly saved all these jobs, he should at least know what those jobs actually are.

I agree it's a minor nitpick.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

He was in the neighborhood of an accurate statement - that is an achievement - let's not cut him down for it. The American people accepted a far lower bar for competency and we just have to live with it! ;)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote:
El Guapo wrote:
I've pretty much written off CNN for this reason. On the surface hiring partisans from both sides to get deep insight sounds good for about 5 seconds. Most networks are happy to just invite them on to bullshit. But bringing them in-house? Bonkers. That they actually signed deals with them negates the judgement of their execs. I can't imagine their anchors wanted to deal with these clowns. SNL tore them apart for it - and nailed it perfectly with their Westworld sketch.
SNL also did a great job skewering CNN's silly use of graphics.
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Isn't this the State Governor's job? Why was Governor Pence unable to handle this situation without a federal intervention?

:wink:

Seriously, the theatre is so transparent, with Pence pretending it's Donald winning. So easy to manipulate. Sad.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

noxiousdog wrote:

I thought it was a Global Warming joke. No?
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Yes, that's the House of Representatives Committee on Science, Space, and Technology.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

The Carrier deal is pretty underwhelming. Trump campaigned on using the threat of tariffs and sanctions to keep jobs in the country, but instead promises over 7 million in tax breaks to save less than one thousand jobs. First, it sounds like this gives smart companies incentives to threaten to pull out. Secondly it doesn't sound like a great deal. More jobs than not are still moving to Mexico and yet we are handing over quite a bit of taxpayer money.

Ugh.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Defiant wrote: Yes, that's the House of Representatives Committee on Science, Space, and Technology.
This just makes me want to cry.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Of course, there is no reference for this House data point so it's not science.
The combined average temperature over global land and ocean surfaces for October 2016 tied with 2003 as the third highest for October in the 137-year period of record, at 0.73°C (1.31°F) above the 20th century average of 14.0°C (57.1°F). This is 0.26°C (0.47°F) cooler than the record warmth of October 2015 when El Niño conditions were strengthening and 0.50°C (0.90°F) cooler than the all-time record warmth of March 2016 when the El Niño was near the end of its peak. Including 2016, the past three Octobers have been the three warmest in the historical record; however, October 2016 also marked the lowest monthly departure from average for any month since November 2014, which was 0.69°C (1.24°F) above average.

The average global temperature across land surfaces was 0.76°C (1.37°F) above the 20th century average of 9.3°C (48.7°F)—the 16th highest October global land temperature on record but also the lowest October value since 2002, when the departure from average was +0.49°C (+0.88°F).

Warmer- to much-warmer-than-average conditions were present across large areas of the world's land surface, with record warmth across parts of Mexico and the Caribbean, parts of west central Africa, sections of southeastern Asia, western Alaska extending to Far East Russia, where temperatures were more than 5°C (9°F) above their 1981–2010 averages, according to the Land & Ocean Temperature Percentiles map above. Cooler- and much-cooler-than-average conditions were observed much of western Canada, most of eastern Europe, and a large swath extending across much of central Asia, where temperatures were more than 5°C (9°F) above below their 1981–2010 averages in places. No land areas experienced record cold temperatures during October 2016.
NOAA Global Analysis-October 2016
malchior

Post by malchior »

I still don't get how this is political. Other than big buckets of money. And that is disgusting when the US military is beginning to make noise that this will likely be the gravest threat to world security. I can't believe humanity could be this stupid but then again we elected Trump so all bets are off. Also steep or record (aka unexpected) plummets of temperatures could be anomalous aka climate change related but still don't mean anything in isolation. Why would climate scientists talk about a one off event? :grund:
Last edited by malchior on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Here's WaPo's take on the whole thing, including the data cherry picked for that misleading tweet.

Basically, because this October is a degree cooler than last October (bye bye, El Nino!), it's "record cooling". Even though we're still warmer than average.

Enlarge Image
Last edited by pr0ner on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hodor.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Starting January 20, Donald Trump Can Send Unblockable Mass Text Messages to the Entire Nation
While it’d be a true nightmare to get screeching alerts from your phone that “Loser Senate Democrats still won’t confirm great man Peter Thiel to Supreme Court. Sad!”, there are some checks and balances on this. While President-elect Trump hasn’t shown much impulse control when it comes to his favorite mass-messaging service, Twitter, the process for issuing a WEA isn’t as simple as typing out a 90-character alert from a presidential smartphone and hitting “Send.”
malchior

Post by malchior »

pr0ner wrote:Here's WaPo's take on the whole thing, including the data cherry picked for that misleading tweet.

Basically, because this October is a degree cooler than last October (bye bye, El Nino!), it's "record cooling". Even though we're still warmer than average.

Enlarge Image
FFS - this is completely dishonest and these shameless propagandists have to know it. Fuck them.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

malchior wrote:I can't believe humanity could be this stupid but then again we elected Trump so all bets are off.
Apparently we live in a world where what you want to be true, is good enough.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Defiant wrote:Starting January 20, Donald Trump Can Send Unblockable Mass Text Messages to the Entire Nation
While it’d be a true nightmare to get screeching alerts from your phone that “Loser Senate Democrats still won’t confirm great man Peter Thiel to Supreme Court. Sad!”, there are some checks and balances on this. While President-elect Trump hasn’t shown much impulse control when it comes to his favorite mass-messaging service, Twitter, the process for issuing a WEA isn’t as simple as typing out a 90-character alert from a presidential smartphone and hitting “Send.”
I'm willing to believe a lot of things about this administration, but fear that he's about to start abusing the emergency alert system just seems like over the top alarm. At least at this point.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds