Table Top Simulator - you use it?

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Montag

Table Top Simulator - you use it?

Post by Montag »

Do you guys have regular play sessions with TTS to play games? If so, can I get in on the action?
words
Lordnine

Re: Table Top Simulator - you use it?

Post by Lordnine »

I do with friends at-least. Some others have shown interest but when I've volunteered to host games in the past everyone vanishes...I think it's me. :ninja:
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

I play in waves. Played a bunch of Shadows of Brimstone with a friend in Texas. And some PACG recently. So far I really only play games that I have copies of. Too much effort to try and figure out a new game; I like having the rule book in my hands.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Not my cuppa.

In an age where ownership of books, movies, and PC/video games has become increasingly digital, modern board games offer something refreshingly tangible to play with and enjoy, something you can hold, collect, and easily share with others. Because let's face it, holding a hand of real cards and chucking real dice is infinitely preferable to seeing them depicted digitally. And being able to do so in person with your friends/family scratches a similar itch for me as the golden era of LAN gaming.

However, I can certainly understand the appeal of Table Top Simulator if/when that's no longer viable.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Exactly. I wouldn't play TTS with someone that lived 5-10 miles away. But 1000-2500 miles? It's TTS or nada.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

It’s often easier to get a game going even if people do live close. I can get a game or two of something in midweek whereas we rarely play in person except on weekends. It’s just more convenient when people have families and other commitments. Also, TTS offers a few really nice features, like the ability to save and or to have the game already setup when you want to play. This is great for games that have tons of components.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Lordnine wrote:It’s often easier to get a game going even if people do live close. I can get a game or two of something in midweek whereas we rarely play in person except on weekends. It’s just more convenient when people have families and other commitments. Also, TTS offers a few really nice features, like the ability to save and or to have the game already setup when you want to play. This is great for games that have tons of components.
Good point. I made a "template" save for Shadows of Brimstone. I moved a bunch of stuff into the Chest so it wouldn't clutter up the table. And I've added in a lot of stuff from other mods that people have uploaded with expansion stuff. I also merged the two core sets together.

Black Lives Matter

Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Is there a handy list of games supported by this?
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Redfive wrote:Is there a handy list of games supported by this?
Here's a BGG GeekList of games available through the Steam Workshop for TTS.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Thanks, I need to get on this right away.

Too bad I missed the sale over Thanksgiving.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Redfive wrote:Is there a handy list of games supported by this?
I would suggest just going to the Steam workshop page and doing a search for the game you are interested in. Chances are someone has put together a mod; whether or not it's a well made one is another thing entirely.
Montag

Post by Montag »

I have only used it with Star Realms and it worked well Somebody within OO put Terra Mystica on it. I have downloaded Terra Forming Mars and I think it should work well. I am still a rookie at using TTS though.
words
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

If you want someone to play games with, feel free to add me on Steam. I’m usually up for most anything and don’t mind explaining how things work.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I generally prefer Vassal to TTS. TTS is more immersive, but the game interfaces in Vassal are generally vastly more intuitive.
Black Lives Matter.