Nintendo Switch = NX

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

tru1cy

Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by tru1cy »

Trailer Nintendo lost me as a consumer a long time ago, so for those interested here is the new system out in March 17
xbox live gamertag:Soulchilde
Blackhawk

Re: Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by Blackhawk »

Dangit, scooped me while I was typing my thread up! I'll just copy mine over here, like so:

Nintendo Switch has been officially announced.

I'm not sure what to think, other than to wait for reviews.

I know that the big appeal of a handheld is that they're much cheaper than a full console, which means that each of my kids can have their own, possibly splitting the cost with their mother for a Christmas present. If this comes at a full console price tag, I'm not sure what niche it would fill in my household. I certainly don't want to have one system for two kids, and I can't imagine buying two full consoles. That means it wouldn't be serving as a handheld at all, but as a household console... that can now play Skyrim? That niche is already filled.

I dunno. Like I said, I'll have to wait for more details or some reviews.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I'm sold. People are excited about the announcement in a way we never saw with the Wii U, so I think this'll sell great and last a while. The new Zelda looks fantastic, the Mario games teased look great, and the gimmicks with this system are far less gimmicky than the past two Nintendos.

I'm very curious to see if the Switch ends up replacing the 3DS line or if they still end up releasing a new separate standalone handheld.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm sold on the concept. I have similar questions to Blackhawk, though. Cost will be key.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I can't imagine that being in the 3DS price range. The tablet portion screen alone has to be more than that if it's going to be any good. I hope I'm wrong.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, if it ends up with pricing comparable to a handheld (~$200), it is a shoe-in for next Christmas. If it is priced like a console, though (~$400+), I doubt I'd get it until the price fell five years from now. There would have to be a lot of unskippable exclusives to get it, because the handheld portion would be nearly useless at that price, as I'd have to have two.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

wonderpug wrote: I'm very curious to see if the Switch ends up replacing the 3DS line or if they still end up releasing a new separate standalone handheld.
That's a bit of a worry for me. The kids thrive on their 3DSs, and there aren't really any alternatives out there when it comes to handhelds.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Blackhawk wrote:
wonderpug wrote: I'm very curious to see if the Switch ends up replacing the 3DS line or if they still end up releasing a new separate standalone handheld.
That's a bit of a worry for me. The kids thrive on their 3DSs, and there aren't really any alternatives out there when it comes to handhelds.
The alternatives are phones/tablets... and yeah I agree they aren't the same.

As far as the console, I'll throw in my token "It's a Nintendo console, why should I care?" The Wii had one game I liked. The Wii U had none... that I played anyway, the kids like Splatoon.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Blackhawk wrote:Yeah, if it ends up with pricing comparable to a handheld (~$200), it is a shoe-in for next Christmas. If it is priced like a console, though (~$400+), I doubt I'd get it until the price fell five years from now. There would have to be a lot of unskippable exclusives to get it, because the handheld portion would be nearly useless at that price, as I'd have to have two.
I'm predicting $300 or $350.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That's probably not inaccurate.

The kids actually like a few Nintendo franchises. Ian plays Mario quite a bit, both play Mario Kart, and Ian is obsessed with everything Fire Emblem.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

The WiiU is the only Nintendo Console I have not owned. But with the Switch I can already tell you I am sold. I can't see this being priced higher than $300 at launch and anything under is just gravy.
FTE
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

The Wii U at my house serves double duty, as a handheld when the TV is doing something else, and then on the TV when its time for multiplayer games. I can see this as a continuation of that. But as for it replacing the 3DS, thats going to boil down to size and battery life. Also, the 3DS closes to protect the screens. Yes there are many complaints about the hinge, but keeping the screen scratch free when its not being used is a huge bonus.

I am curious to see whats going to come from the interchangable controller handles. I can see the value in that, but I don't know what other controller I would want. Except maybe one thats designed for bigger hands, to prevent finger cramp in us adults.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm wondering if this is going to end up feeling more like a self-contained console that you can take with you, or a handheld that you can play on the TV.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ars has two articles - the first estimates the size of all the components based on the assumed size of the thumbsticks (every system basically uses 17-18 mm) and the second gives a round up of the little information that has leaked out.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Unless I hear something disastrous, this is a day one purchase for our household. The kids absolute love their Wii U, and the ability to take this thing on the go would be a huge plus for trips. I think I'd wind up getting more use out of it as well due to the portability.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

I spend three hours on a bus three times a week, and have a baby at home. My at-home gaming time is super limited, but I've got ample mobile game time. Currently, I have an "at home" game that I rarely get to play, and a "bus" game that I play on the DS. I've been wanting a way to be able to play the same game in large format at home, and on the bus, but there hasn't really been a way. Closest thing has been a PC game on a laptop, syncing the save via Steam Cloud. That's never worked because a laptop actually kind of sucks on the bus, and because Cloud syncing never seems to work between a Mac and PC, so I gave up.

This thing looks like it'll absolutely be what I'm looking for. I'm going to wait and see what the price and game availability winds up being, but there's a good chance I'll be in on day one for this. It even sounds like my wife is potentially okay with this. I think she feels bad about my commute.

I keep hearing complaints that it doesn't have built in screen protection. My Kindle, tablet, and phone don't have that either, yet they do fine. I'm sure that there will be a plethora of case options available for this thing. If they're smart, they'll even be game-themed.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

The only things can prevent this from being a launch day purchase for me are price and the battery longevity of mobile mode. If it only gets 1 or 2 hours out of a charge then what's the point of making it mobile? I could deal with 5 hours, but anything less really lessons the mobility.
FTE
stessier

Post by stessier »

Another Ars article:
Unlike the Wii U, which Nintendo initially sold at a loss to try to build a base for software sales, Kimishima said the company won't go into the red selling Switch hardware, but he added that the company is "also listening to what consumers expect from us when setting price." It's not clear at this point if that means Nintendo will sell the system at cost or with a small profit margin built in. In either case, the Switch launch won't have a sizable financial impact on the company until the next fiscal year.

Elsewhere, Kimishima confirmed earlier reports that Nintendo would not be elaborating on the Switch's hardware specs or price this year. Once the system is fully unveiled, though, there will be opportunities for players to sample the unique hybrid system in the wild before it hits store shelves, Kimishima said.

At that point, the Nintendo CEO said he is confident that "consumers would understand that [the Switch] would be different from 3DS." That said, Nintendo will continue to produce and support the 3DS for the time being rather than immediately letting the Switch serve as a replacement, Kimishima said.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Nintendo says price and launch date will be announced on Jan 12 (via Ars).
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

We will buy one as soon as the new Zelda game is available - if that's launch day then we'll buy it on launch day.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

here is Fallon playing it.

As I posted it seems to just be yet another Nintendo handheld that plays old games. They seem to keep trying to put themselves out of business. Same old stuff. But I guess people keep buying it.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

In your mind, the new Zelda game is an old game?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Didn't see it. The only pic I saw of Link looked like a 10 year old game.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Actually I think Nintendo is making all the right moves. The Wii U was a misstep, certainly, but it's been the only one in recent memory. Nintendo's playing to their strengths with this system. In one fell swoop they've created a handheld that will appeal to console gamers and a console that will appeal to handheld gamers. And with their entry (tomorrow!) into the mobile OS market, they're going to make a killing.

Add to that their recent licensing deal to bring the Nintendo IP to Universal theme parks, they're in absolutely no danger of going anywhere anytime soon. In the next couple of years you're not going to be able to throw a rock and not hit a Nintendo mascot.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

But don't the vast majority of people play mobile games on their phone or tablet? Those things are easy to justify buying since they can do all sorts of non-gaming related things. A handheld specifically for gaming seems too niche in the current market. On top of that, I assume that since the Switch can be a handheld, it is not going to be nearly as powerful as the competing consoles. Meaning that any non-Switch exclusive games will probably be significantly worse on the Switch than on the other systems.

I don't doubt that Nintendo will be around for a long time, but I'm not sure the Switch will be the system that puts them at the forefront of gaming again.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Or perhaps Nintendo has finally realized that they're not going to be competing with the mainstream consoles anymore. They have a style that just isn't competitive. For the last two or three generations, Nintendo has been a niche within the console market, and the sooner they embrace that, the better for everyone.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Perhaps, although I doubt Nintendo would want to be thought of as a niche company. But it seems to me that they are trying to reach a non-niche market (mobile gaming) with a niche product. The Switch seems like it won't be casual enough for the majority of mobile gamers and perhaps not powerful enough for the majority of console gamers. Certainly it will have it's audience (Zelda does look pretty cool after all...), but I would be surprised if it is a major hit.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Do we have actual specs, or are you just assuming it won't be competitive? Not that I disagree with that assessment, but I don't want to whip out the jump to conclusions mat. Specs are important, but not as important as they used to be with today's mobile chipsets/processors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Specs are important, but so are perceptions. Nintendo hasn't been considered one of the core console options in a long time. Probably since the GameCube. People buy a Nintendo console because they either are not interested in mainstream gaming (families, kids) or as a secondary console to play the exclusives in addition to a mainstream console.

I've read a number of interviews with the powers-that-be at Nintendo that gave me the distinct impression that they consider Japan their main focus, where they are a mainstream console. They almost seem to consider the rest of the world a secondary revenue source rather than their target audience. I got the feeling that they know they could change their strategy and make more money, but what they have is what they want.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Spec-ulation
The Nintendo Switch game console coming in March won’t be more powerful than Sony’s three-year-old PlayStation 4, according to sources familiar with the system.

Two sources (who asked to keep their names out of this story) confirmed to GamesBeat that the Switch uses Nvidia’s last-generation Maxwell graphics-processing architecture. Nvidia introduced its new Pascal architecture earlier this year, but that technology is not ready for the Tegra chip going into the Switch. The custom Maxwell Tegra (which uses a 20nm process as opposed to the more efficient 16nm process of the Pascal) in the machine is still powerful enough to play Nintendo-style games that rely on quality art over horsepower, but don’t expect Switch software to match the graphical fidelity of the highest-end PS4 games.
But while the Switch doesn’t have as much horsepower as the PS4, it could still handle many modern games. Nvidia will likely build the Tegra chip to run at a higher clock speed when receiving a constant source of power in its dock, and that could make a big difference. In portable mode, games will run at a lower resolution due to the Switch’s rumored 720p 6.2-inch screen. On a display of that size, developers could get their games to run even smoother if they dropped the resolution to 540p (the resolution of Sony’s PS Vita handheld) and upscaled them to 720p instead.
Nintendo plans to share more information on January 12. Both Nvidia and Nintendo declined to comment for this story.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Zaxxon wrote:Do we have actual specs, or are you just assuming it won't be competitive? Not that I disagree with that assessment, but I don't want to whip out the jump to conclusions mat. Specs are important, but not as important as they used to be with today's mobile chipsets/processors.
See Isg post above, but I was just assuming based on the size of the console that it wouldn't be competitive specs wise. But when I said that I guess I had not realized that the PS4 has already been out for three years (that can't be right, can it???). A lot can improve in three years, so maybe it won't be as far off as I was assuming.
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

$299 price tag.

Too rich for my blood.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Basically equivalent to the Wii given that it's 10.5 years later and has gone up 20% in cost. Works for me.
stessier

Post by stessier »

It has to be more than a DS for it to be worth that price (which the Wii was and this is not). Just playing on a bigger screen isn't worth it to me. Obviously, YMMV. :)
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

If you think it's a DS, I recommend trying to watch the material available so far again, and attempting to internalize it this time. :) Sheesh, you channeling Jeff V or what? :horse:
stessier

Post by stessier »

:shock:

I...I....I think I have to go off myself now.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Perhaps I came on too strong? :)

But to your point:
-Sure, it's portable like a DS, but more powerful. And:
-Also a living-room console
-With much-improved motion controls vs. Wii
-With cameras on the remotes for new gameplay (who knows if this'll be a hit or not)
-With actual online gaming that (maybe?) won't suck
-With honest-to-God local multiplayer
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

So it's a DS you can play on your TV.

:twisted:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

coopasonic wrote:So it's a DS you can play on your TV.

:twisted:
Alright, Jeff.