World internet speeds

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

World internet speeds

Post by Daehawk »

South Korea ...they had an average 26.something mbps. Its the only one higher than 25 mbps.

The US didn't even make the top ten. In fact were are 12th overall. Thats behind countries like Latvia. In good news we have improved about 12% in recent years.

Its states like mine here in TN that are ruining our speed. Our own state gov wont allow smaller companies to expand. EPB is about 2 miles from me but are not allowed to enter here where Charter has a monopoly thanks to state laws being written by AT&T and Comcast and approved by republicans.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Re: World internet speeds

Post by Isgrimnur »

Move to Delaware.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

F Century Link. F them hard.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

I keep telling myself this is all because the US was the early adopter and founder, and everyone else got to benefit from our mistakes - but there's really no good reason why companies can re-invest more of their profits to providing better service instead of hiking up rates on existing crap service.

I so badly wish I could get in on Google's fiber service, but we only barely got Time Warner service 6 years ago as we live on a dirt road off a dirt road and in a town with 4,500 people. Before that, Verizon's data-only plan. Blech.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Cortilian

Post by Cortilian »

I know I've mentioned this before but I had atrocious internet with Windstream for years and years. I was paying for .5 up and 3 down (which was the max) and would only get those speeds between like 12am and 9am. Anytime during 'normal' people time I was getting maybe .1 up and .5 down with lots of packet loss, etc. They were (and are) the only game in town. I don't know how the internet gods decided to smile on me as I live 12 miles outside of a small town and 7 miles outside of an even smaller town but someone decided to lay a new fiber line right in front of my home. I went from .5 up and 3 down one day to a bonded dsl line of 50 down and 12 up the next.

I love Windstream now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Smoove_B wrote:F Century Link. F them hard.
That seems to be a local ISP in my area but not in my county.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk wrote:
Smoove_B wrote:F Century Link. F them hard.
That seems to be a local ISP in my area but not in my county.
They're shrugging their shoulders at local service saying they don't have the money to upgrade infrastructure or offer true "high speed" access to rural consumers (like me), and then you read this.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm still surprised that I get such good speeds here in a town with two stoplights (we're back up to two now - they finally fixed the other one.) I got an offer the other day from Comcast to upgrade my connection to 150 down. I asked them, "For what?" I test in the range of 85 down now, and I can have the kids watching HD Netflix while another is downloading at max on Steam and I'm playing an online game and streaming music with my headphones. What could I possibly need more bandwidth for?

(also: Sorry, Smoove.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Blackhawk wrote:I asked them, "For what?"
For monies, silly. More monies from your pocket.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Reemul

Post by Reemul »

The big problem is the difference between the best and the worst. I am on 20 up 200 down but 10 miles out of town you could be lucky to get 5 down.

We are looking to move next year and why it may sound silly internet availability and speed will be something we take in to account among the other things
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Reemul wrote:
We are looking to move next year and why it may sound silly internet availability and speed will be something we take in to account among the other things
That's not silly at all. Fiber availability was one of our top five criteria for buying a house. Smoove level internet access would have crippled my ability to do any work from home, much less stream video or download the latest game in less than a week.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Reemul wrote:We are looking to move next year and why it may sound silly internet availability and speed will be something we take in to account among the other things
Learn from my mistakes. We've been at our current location almost 8 years and there's be no change to the crappy 5 Mb DSL lines in our area. In fact, I don't think anything has changed in our entire town with respect to availability or capacity upgrades. 5Mb was barely passable in 2009. In 2017 it means a single TV in the house can be watching something on Netflix or Amazon Prime. Multiple devices? Nope. Me trying to grab a game off STEAM? Not happening. It's borderline criminal and there's nothing I can do about it. Nothing. I might as well be living in a mud hut in Botswana.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Smoove_B wrote: I might as well be living in a mud hut in Botswana.
2.4 MB according to that site.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Poor Smoove. My last speed test was almost 200 Mbps down. Comcast internet rules.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Canada starting to look better and better:
Canada's telecom regulator yesterday declared that broadband Internet must be considered "a basic telecommunications service for all Canadians" and created a fund to connect rural and remote communities. With this decision, high-speed broadband is now treated as an essential technology similar to voice service.

All Canadians should be able to purchase home Internet with 50Mbps download speeds and 10Mbps uploads, and they should have the option of purchasing unlimited data, the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) announcement said. A new fund will make $750 million available over the next five years to support projects in areas where that level of broadband isn't available.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing these inmates had a faster ISP than I do.
Unsupervised inmates at Marion Correctional Institution used two computers hidden in the ceiling to attempt identity fraud, an investigation from the state's top watchdog found.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Smoove_B wrote:Canada starting to look better and better:
Canada's telecom regulator yesterday declared that broadband Internet must be considered "a basic telecommunications service for all Canadians" and created a fund to connect rural and remote communities. With this decision, high-speed broadband is now treated as an essential technology similar to voice service.

All Canadians should be able to purchase home Internet with 50Mbps download speeds and 10Mbps uploads, and they should have the option of purchasing unlimited data, the Canadian Radio-Television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) announcement said. A new fund will make $750 million available over the next five years to support projects in areas where that level of broadband isn't available.
For a while, as American ISPs were moving away from data caps, Canadian ISPs got stricter about enforcing them (this is about 10 years ago). Now it seems to steadily move in the opposite direction. I like Xfinity internet (mostly), I get great speeds, but as their speeds are getting better - and there's more HD content to stream - I'm starting to get worried about hitting their 1TB monthly cap. Granted, the closest I've come so far is 812GB, and that was only one month.
DD*

Post by DD* »

Just tested my AT&T Uverse connection - a smidge over 18 down and 1.3 up, which is what I pay for (I think).

Comcast was significantly faster and when I move I'll likely be going back to them; the main reason I switched was that AT&T had much better TV gear than Comcast, but I believe that has since changed.
Are you a prostitute Rip? Because you blow the margins more than a $5 hooker. -rshetts2

Much like bravery is acting in spite of fear, being a functioning adult is acting responsibly in the face of temptation. -Isg
stessier

Post by stessier »

Just tested using M-test. 65.5 down and 3.69 up on Charter. I think I can pay $10/month more and get AT&T at 100 down (not sure on the up), but then I get stuck with a data cap of 1 TB. I never come close to that, but I'm pretty opposed to caps in principle, so I'm staying put for now.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

My 300 megabit plan and discount went away so I had to pick a new plan...

100 Mbit probably would have been fine, but it had a data cap (1TB). I should never, ever hit that cap, but I don't want to worry about it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Good to see that people on parts of Mt. Everest have faster internet speeds than I do in NJ. Seriously, F Century Link.
The PTP 650 wireless backhaul provided throughput and reliability for the network infrastructure. Now Everest Link offers between 100 megabits a second and 200 megabits a second over links of 80 to 90 kilometers. The PTP 650 backhaul link stays up all of the time.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I wish we could take up a bandwidth collection to donate to you. On the other hand I'll admit that your speed woes always amuse. As my daughter said one time when she was in a dead WiFi spot, "I'm going to where there's more internet"
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote:Good to see that people on parts of Mt. Everest have faster internet speeds than I do in NJ. Seriously, F Century Link.
The PTP 650 wireless backhaul provided throughput and reliability for the network infrastructure. Now Everest Link offers between 100 megabits a second and 200 megabits a second over links of 80 to 90 kilometers. The PTP 650 backhaul link stays up all of the time.
Remember, the FCC definition of broadband is 25 Mbps now. If you don't have access to that, you should start harassing your government officials.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Isgrimnur wrote:Remember, the FCC definition of broadband is 25 Mbps now. If you don't have access to that, you should start harassing your government officials.
I'm not even sure my local government officials own computers, but this might be my summer Sisyphus task.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Will Microsoft be my salvation?
Under the plan, which it is calling Rural Airband Initiative, the software giant wants to utilize the TV "white spaces" — unused frequencies between television channels — to bring internet to less populated areas in 12 U.S. states.

The company claims internet connection through white space technology would be 80 percent cheaper than broadband and would cost half of a wireless connection.
However:
That being said, the project is faced with its own hurdles — Microsoft, on its own will be able to provide internet only to 10 percent of rural homes, so it will need government and corporate funds for the initiative. In addition to this, it will also have to negotiate with TV networks, who may be reluctant to surrender airwaves, even if they are not using them.
I cannot even fathom a potential 25 Mbps speed. It would be like I'm living in what? 2004? Amazing.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Eh, my ISP just upgraded their standard connection from 8 mpbs to 30 out of the goodness of their hearts...but what's the hurry? I don't stream video so the difference is negligible. I guess the gifs in the funny pics thread load a little faster.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote:I cannot even fathom a potential 25 Mbps speed. It would be like I'm living in what? 2004? Amazing.
It still amazes me how bad your service is in a supposedly developed area. I've only lived within Charter regions since 2004 (4 moves, 3 states) and it terrifies me that I might have to move somewhere someday that they don't support.

I might be switching providers in the next year or two, though. Charter costs $65/month (no bundles) right now for 60 Mbps right now and for $70 I can get 1 Gbps from AT&T, but with a data cap (1 TB). Right now, 60 is fast enough that there is no reason to mess with a capped plan. But if the price continues to increase, it won't make sense.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

coopasonic wrote:My 300 megabit plan and discount went away so I had to pick a new plan...

100 Mbit probably would have been fine, but it had a data cap (1TB). I should never, ever hit that cap, but I don't want to worry about it.
I didn't think I'd be hitting my 1TB data cap either. In April, I almost did, and I have no idea what I did differently than every other month. I'm on a 200 megabit plan (I think...they bumped everyone up automatically at one point, but anything past 150 megabit is moot, especially with constantly having to worry about data usage).

I actually enabled the xfinitywifi hotspot on my Comcast modem since that's considered a "public" hotspot and data usage doesn't count against my cap. So I'd connect my laptop to the hotspot instead of my home wi-fi. But the stupid connection stopped working (it would show 5 bars but nothing can actually connect to it). I spent 40 minutes on the phone with Comcast on Sunday, they bumped me all the way up to tier 3 support but couldn't figure it out. I'll go over to a Comcast store this weekend and swap out the modem, to rule out a hardware issue.
stessier

Post by stessier »

gilraen wrote:I didn't think I'd be hitting my 1TB data cap either. In April, I almost did, and I have no idea what I did differently than every other month.
Is that your measurement or Comcasts'? Arstechinca has a number of articles on how flaky Comcasts measurement of data usage appears to be.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

stessier wrote:
gilraen wrote:I didn't think I'd be hitting my 1TB data cap either. In April, I almost did, and I have no idea what I did differently than every other month.
Is that your measurement or Comcasts'? Arstechinca has a number of articles on how flaky Comcasts measurement of data usage appears to be.
Comcast's but I have no way of measuring my own since I use their router. I figured their measurements are flaky enough, but for the most part I can adjust.
JCC

Post by JCC »

stessier wrote: I might be switching providers in the next year or two, though. Charter costs $65/month (no bundles) right now for 60 Mbps right now and for $70 I can get 1 Gbps from AT&T, but with a data cap (1 TB). Right now, 60 is fast enough that there is no reason to mess with a capped plan. But if the price continues to increase, it won't make sense.
AT&T Gigapower no longer has a data cap (I subscribed in January). But, it looks like the $70 price is no longer available. I get nowhere near their "guaranteed" 940 Mb/s speed, but it's so much faster than TWC was for only $10 more a month, I am still ok with the switch. If it goes up next year to $80/month, I may have to do something different.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i had downgraded my service from 65 to 25 Mbps last year, as the rates were going up. i just checked, and now i'm getting 65 Mbps again for the same price.
RMC

Post by RMC »

I have 10 down 2 up, and I have a Radio internet provider. So I have a Radio antenna mounted on my roof that beams to an antenna on a Grain Silo.
I kid you not. And it is the best speeds I can get where I live in rural Ohio.

There is a cable company that offers Hi-speed, but it is awful. The plan I had was so bad, that when I proved it was them not providing anywhere close to 1Mb down, that they got nasty with me and called me a liar. So I switched. I can get DSL as well, but it is slow as well.

The Radio stuff, is kinda cool, and really there is no difference that I can see with the speeds, no extra latency or anything.

I had Satellite internet for a year, and that was latency hell.
Difficulties mastered are opportunities won. - Winston Churchill
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Double my speed with a radio antenna? I can't even imagine what that would be like. A new steam game in 2 days instead of 4? What kind of amazing futuristic landscape do you live in? On that train all graphite and glitter? Undersea by rail?
RMC

Post by RMC »

Smoove_B wrote:Double my speed with a radio antenna? I can't even imagine what that would be like. A new steam game in 2 days instead of 4? What kind of amazing futuristic landscape do you live in? On that train all graphite and glitter? Undersea by rail?
heh. You need a Grain Silo close to your place in New Jersey. :)

See if they can reach you: http://www.ncwcom.com/

:shifty:
Sheesh, this is one small box. Thankfully, everything's packed in nicely this time. Not too tight nor too loose (someone's sig in 3, 2, ...). - Hepcat
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I currently have 50U/25D with Optimum/Cablevision, however, my promo expired recently and Optimum customer retention says I have the best deal (triple play, no premium channels for $50).
I just put an order in for FIOS gigabit connection..getting installed Friday.. cable/phone/internet and HBO for $100 including all fee's... $50 less, a lot faster than cable and free HBO (just in time for Game of Thrones!).. Nice easy decision for me..

I'll try to remember to post a speed test when it is done.. and I am in NJ FYI..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Upgraded from a 5mbps connection to 15 a couple of years ago. Just moved and upgraded again to 50. Surprised to not really have noticed the speed so far... various loading bottlenecks I notice must not be a matter of downstream. On the other hand, I have yet to download a large game from Steam.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I have Comcast and started out with 50 Mbps many years ago. For the same price (aside from minor fee bumps here and there) I'm now at 275 Mbps.

If I had to go back to 25 Mbps I would stab someone in the face.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

RunningMn9 wrote:I have Comcast and started out with 50 Mbps many years ago. For the same price (aside from minor fee bumps here and there) I'm now at 275 Mbps.

If I had to go back to 25 Mbps I would stab someone in the face.
I don't stream movies, so I'm pretty happy with 2 up 2 down. It sucks when I buy a new game and have to wait two hours to play it but such is life.

What I'm not happy with is the price. Maybe this weekend is the weekend I get my ducks in a row and divorce my email from ISP (which I mad the mistake of taking on 15 years ago). That bit of laziness is costing me about $50 a month right now. I really need to impress that apon myself. Is this email account worth $50 a month when I could have a free one?
RMC

Post by RMC »

With three kids, and getting ready to cut my cable, my little 10 down line is going to be stretched to the limit. But paying 125/ month for TV is just way too much...