Abortion news and discussion

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Grifman

Re: Abortion news and discussion

Post by Grifman »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Grifman wrote:Great. Justify restricting the life of the unborn child by killing him/her. The onus is on you.
The rights of an actual person outweigh those of a potential person.
But that's the crux of the argument, isn't it?
And I and my government do not agree on your assertion that the right to life extends to a fetus. A government is run for the (supposed) benefit of its citizens. As that requires you to actually be a citizen, that requires birth.
Were RvW to be reversed, would you be standing on your "government's" position? That's a rather slender straw to lean upon. The issue here isn't what the govt says is ok or not ok - that position could change in the next 4 years. The issue is what is the moral choice here.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

As far as I'm concerned, that argument is settled.

Morals differ from person to person, and government to government. Our government is supposed to be based on personal freedoms. Those of other countries are based on other factors.

The government of my country has established that the choice is left to each individual's moral choice than placing that choice in the hands of the government.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Zarathud wrote:Please get off your high horse.
I would but then I'd have trouble looking up at you.
We allow death all the time in legislative rule-making. Cars are potentially dangerous but the benefits outweigh the risks, never mind that the GOP is about to REDUCE access to health insurance (and reduce life).
Allowing death is not the same as causing death. It's absurd to equate the two. People don't drive cars intending to kill (not withstanding terrorists). Abortion is intentional killing.

As for the Republicans, I am not one and support universal access to health care. So you can't tar me with that.
See Roe v Wade for a more nuanced balancing of rights with respect to abortion.
I'm not sure what value there is to nuance in and of itself. I've read RvW and a lot of liberal and conservative legal scholars think very little of it's reasonings (for very different reasons of course). If the fetus is a human being, all the nuance in the world is irrelevant.
NRA countenances zero restrictions and radicalizes around even perceived threats.
And exactly how it that different from Planned Parenthood, which fights any/all restrictions tool and nail? West Germany requires a 3 day waiting period and counseling before an abortion is allowed. Individual states have proposed similar laws and the abortion lobby screams bloody murder.
But aside from that, until you have to make the decision you really have no idea how difficult the situation. That's the point Lena Dunham was trying (poorly) to make. She hasn't been there but she's trying to empathize with people, not some hypothetical concept of life.
Not being in a another person's situation does not prevent us from being able to make moral arguments and judgements. With that logic, we wouldn't be able to make any moral judgements about any one else's actions because we can never truly walk in another person's shoes. Therein lies madness.

As for the "hypothetical concept of life", neither side can get away from that. You just can't throw that at the pro-life side as if that's their burden. Each side has to deal with the issue of when human life begins. So back at you.
The best part about Roe v Wade is that in most cases female citizens would get to decide for themselves these religious, moral, ethical, personal and parental questions. No one is forced to have an abortion in the US. Only one side forces its will and ethical constructs on the other.
Since when do we let individuals decide when it is appropriate to kill or not? You admitted above that abortion causes death. And we force ethical constructs on others all of the time. That's what laws do.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Grifman wrote:
NRA countenances zero restrictions and radicalizes around even perceived threats.
And exactly how it that different from Planned Parenthood, which fights any/all restrictions tool and nail? West Germany requires a 3 day waiting period and counseling before an abortion is allowed. Individual states have proposed similar laws and the abortion lobby screams bloody murder.
Holy shit Grif. You're usually pretty rational, but did you honestly just compare Planned Parenthood to the NRA?

Planned Parenthood and most Pro Choice organizations have often willingly embraced reasonable rules governing abortion, like bans on late term abortions for instance, but Pro Choice groups also have good reason at this point to oppose the types of restrictions Republicans have been busily putting in place as they're just back door ways to ban abortion, and they've been startlingly effective in many red states in shutting down women's access to abortions if they choose.

HB2 for instance decimated (in the modern sense) the number of clinics in Texas. Keep in mind as well that HB2 was ultimately found unconstitutional, but realistically it didn't matter to Republicans since it was in place long enough to have the effect they wanted and it will be years before organizations are able to reopen the clinics that were unconstitutionally forced to close.

The NRA on the other hand is now pushing the idea of arming teachers, think you should be allowed to carry a gun anywhere at any time, and that you should have no restrictions on buying guns anytime you want.

Call me when Planned Parenthood is trying to get laws passed allowing abortion clinics in schools and then maybe you'd be in the ballpark.
Last edited by Sepiche on Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

And remember, it's a longer drive across the state of Texas than it is to get from NYC to Chicago.

Texas Tribune, Jun 28 '16

There were more than 40 abortion clinics open in Texas when lawmakers began pushing for the new restrictions. One measure would've required them to meet hospital-like standards — including minimum sizes for rooms and doorways, pipelines for anesthesia and other modifications. Another forced abortion doctors to have admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles of their clinic.

When the restrictions became law, clinics that couldn't meet those terms began closing their doors. By the time the high court agreed to take up the case, the number of abortion clinics in Texas had halved to 19. And there were no clinics open anywhere between San Antonio and El Paso.

Had the Supreme Court upheld the restrictions, Texas would have been left with as few as 10 abortion clinics — all in major metropolitan areas — to serve the state's 5.4 million women of reproductive age.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Grifman wrote:
Zarathud wrote:So what do you think does drive most abortions?
Birth control, not problematic pregnancies.
My wife was pregnant with a child confirmed to have trisomy 13 by genetic testing. Maximum life expectancy of 4 days even with extreme medical intervention assuming no complications during pregnancy. Carrying a dead baby to term would have been a real possibility, with massive risks. We chose to have an abortion so we could have kids later (two), preserve my wife's health and sanity and also spare the fetus massive suffering. It was not an easy decision and we are both strongly pro-choice.
And I have no problem with your choice.
There are certainly many women who end up getting an abortion because of an unwanted pregnancy. Given the abysmal failures of abstinence only sex education and the lack of access to affordable birth control for many young women it seems to me that addressing those needs is a better step than banning abortion outright. Besides driving it underground, it also ends up hurting women like my wife and Zarathud's who have medical necessities for it. And yes, many southern states are trying to shut down abortion for life and health of the mother, too. You may understand our reasons, but so many pro-life people either don't understand it or disregard their lives as unimportant.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Grifman wrote:
Zarathud wrote:So what do you think does drive most abortions?
Birth control, not problematic pregnancies.

Guttmacher.org (PDF)
RESULTS: The reasons most frequently cited were that having a child would interfere with a woman’s education, work or ability to care for dependents (74%); that she could not afford a baby now (73%); and that she did not want to be a single mother or was having relationship problems (48%). Nearly four in 10 women said they had completed their childbearing, and almost one-third were not ready to have a child. Fewer than 1% said their parents’ or partners’ desire for them to have an abortion was the most important reason. Younger women often reported that they were
unprepared for the transition to motherhood, while older women regularly cited their responsibility to dependents.

CONCLUSIONS: The decision to have an abortion is typically motivated by multiple, diverse and interrelated reasons. The themes of responsibility to others and resource limitations, such as financial constraints and lack of partner support, recurred throughout the study.

Contraceptive Use in the United States

Seems to me that a lack of sexual education coupled with typical youthful lack of consistency and a lack of economic security are pretty significant factors.
Spoiler:
LifeNews
New figures from the Guttmacher Institute reveal the number of abortions in the United States and the abortion rate has risen slightly after its last report showed historic lows.

The institute is pro-abortion but regarded by pro-life groups as having more accurate abortion figures than the Centers for Disease Control because it receives its numbers directly from abortion businesses and accounts for all 50 states, whereas the CDC does not receive reports from California and others.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Enlarge Image
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The plant should be a seed, the fish should be an egg and Frankenstein should be a brain.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well that didn't take long at all:
Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said Thursday that defunding Planned Parenthood will be included as part of a bill to repeal ObamaCare.

Ryan said cutting off federal funds to the organization will be included in a “reconciliation” bill that also repeals the core of ObamaCare. The reconciliation process prevents Democrats from launching a filibuster against the measure, meaning Republicans won't need 60 votes to win on defunding.
I didn't think I could be more disgusted with this group of elected officials, but here we are.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The war on women begins...
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

To be fair - they said they were repugnant and evil and people still voted for them. I can get why an increasing number of millennials are ready to abandon democracy. </s>
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote:Well that didn't take long at all:
Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said Thursday that defunding Planned Parenthood will be included as part of a bill to repeal ObamaCare.
I didn't think I could be more disgusted with this group of elected officials, but here we are.
Cosmo
On Friday, a group of Planned Parenthood supporters stood outside House Speaker Paul Ryan’s office holding 87,000 petitions asking him not to defund Planned Parenthood. In response, Ryan sent out six security guards in order to block the delivery and also had a sign on his door that read, “Only scheduled appointments will be admitted.”
On Friday, a group of Planned Parenthood supporters stood outside House Speaker Paul Ryan’s office holding 87,000 petitions asking him not to defund Planned Parenthood. In response, Ryan sent out six security guards in order to block the delivery and also had a sign on his door that read, “Only scheduled appointments will be admitted.”
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I hope 87,000 people clog his appointment calendar hourly for the conceivable (!) future.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Abortion on the run.

[bigimg]view-source:http://apps.npr.org/dailygraphics/graph ... llback.png[/bigimg]

However, notice the leveling off period at the begining of the century. Yeah - the idiotic Bush Administration's Abstinence-Only program.
A more important driver of the declining abortion rate, Jones said, appears to be improved access to contraception, particularly long-acting birth control options like IUDs. She noted that women in the United States have been using the highly effective devices in growing numbers for more than a decade, and said the declining birthrate suggests more women are preventing unwanted pregnancies.

"Abortion is going down, and births aren't going up," Jones said.
Killing Planned Parenthood would likely reverse this trend, IMHO.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Pyperkub wrote: Enlarge Image
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Thanks!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Texas just doesn't stop:
Republican Rep. Tony Tinderholt introduced a bill titled “Abolition of Abortion in Texas Act,” which would both ban and criminalize the procedure altogether by making abortion — and the provision of the procedure — a felony.

The bill recognizes “the rights, powers, and privileges of all unborn children at every stage of gestation from fertilization until birth,” and categorizes the fetus as a “living human child.”

In turn, abortion would be treated as a criminal homicide, except in cases where the individual’s life is at risk due to complications during pregnancy. This also means that anyone who has an abortion or provides the procedure could face felony charges and lose their right to vote.
Seems reasonable.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Pointless grandstanding in Texas
State Rep. Tony Tinderholt, R-Arlington, has been placed under the protection of the Texas Department of Public Safety after receiving death threats following his filing of a bill to criminalize abortion in Texas, the Texas Tribune reports.
The threats began after Tinderholt filed his Abolition of Abortion in Texas Act on Jan. 11, according to his political consultant, Luke Macias. Under House bill 948, both abortion providers and women who receive an abortion could be charged with murder.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Would the male sperm donators be tried as an accomplice? At what point is it ok to call them fathers? I've absolutely have had it with these "fights" over abortion. So mad!
(Not directed at anyone, only yelling out of frustration.)
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Trump expands anti-abortion ban to all US global health aid

This is actually 7 days old, but I don't see it posted. As the article explains, millions outside the US get to share our pain.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Lawmaker who called pregnant women a ‘host’ pushes bill requiring fathers to approve abortion
A bill advancing in Oklahoma would require a woman to get the written consent of the fetus’s father before obtaining an abortion.

The bill, which passed out of a House committee Tuesday, would also require a woman “to provide, in writing, the identity of the father of the fetus to the physician who is to perform or induce the abortion,” according to the bill’s language. “If the person identified as the father of the fetus challenges the fact that he is the father, such individual may demand that a paternity test be performed.”

The bill’s author, Rep. Justin Humphrey (R), could not be reached for comment Tuesday. But in an interview with The Intercept earlier this month, Humphrey said that men should be able to have a say over the fate of a fetus, and suggested that a woman has greater responsibility in a relationship for preventing pregnancy because she would be the “host.”

“I believe one of the breakdowns in our society is that we have excluded the man out of all of these types of decisions,” he said. “I understand that they feel like that is their body,” he said of women. “I feel like it is a separate — what I call them is, is you’re a ‘host.’ And you know when you enter into a relationship you’re going to be that host and so, you know, if you pre-know that then take all precautions and don’t get pregnant,” he explained. “So that’s where I’m at. I’m like, hey, your body is your body and be responsible with it. But after you’re irresponsible then don’t claim, well, I can just go and do this with another body, when you’re the host and you invited that in.”

The bill, as well his description of women as hosts who “invited that in,” has provoked outrage from many corners.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
[Sen. Charles] Schwertner, the Republican chair of the Texas Senate's Committee on Health and Human Services, spent Wednesday morning introducing and defending a bill that would ban most women from donating fetal tissue from their abortions to science. His legislation was bundled with two other anti-abortion bills — one to throw out the safest abortion procedure for second-trimester pregnancies, the other to mandate all abortion remains are buried and cremated — penned by two other GOP senators, Charles Perry and Don Huffines.

After discussing the bills amongst themselves, the committee opened the floor to three hours of public testimony — which started with a bang.

"I'm here on behalf of all absent women, families and doctors across the state whose lives will be negatively impacted by this bill," began the testimony of Maggie Hennessy, a UT student and intern with NARAL Pro-Choice Texas. She was the fourth person to speak (of more than 50).

Hennessy verbally shredded Sen. Huffines bill against second-trimester abortions. Her voice shook with anger as she scolded lawmakers for openly putting women in danger.

"Ms. Hennessy —" Schwertner interrupted a minute into her testimony. "Your time is done."

But Hennessy went on, saying, "I urge you to all stop playing with reproductive health care like it's your own political puppet." That's when Schwertner dropped the gavel — so hard that he shattered the glass table before him.

"Your time is done," he repeated.
And if Schwertner was really table-breaking concerned about the time allotted for public testimony, he probably wouldn't have let the first speaker (and dozens after), a representative from the anti-abortion advocacy group Texas Right to Life, ramble on in support for twice as long as Hennessy was allowed to speak.
https://twitter.com/agarciaditta/status ... 150092800/
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Thank you for sharing the news. Honestly appreciate being updated without watching the actual news :)
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Norma McCorvey, Jane Roe of Roe v. Wade decision legalizing abortion, dies at 69
Norma McCorvey, who was 22, unwed, mired in addiction and poverty, and desperate for a way out of an unwanted pregnancy when she became Jane Roe, the pseudonymous plaintiff of the 1973 U.S. Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade that established a constitutional right to an abortion, died Feb. 18 at an assisted-living facility in Katy, Tex. She was 69.

Her death was confirmed by Joshua Prager, a journalist currently at work on a book about Roe v. Wade. The cause was a heart ailment.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
A federal judge ruled Tuesday that Texas can't cut off Medicaid dollars to Planned Parenthood over secretly recorded videos taken by anti-abortion activists in 2015 that launched Republican efforts across the U.S. to defund the nation's largest abortion provider.

An injunction issued by U.S. District Sam Sparks of Austin comes after he delayed making decision in January and essentially bought Planned Parenthood an extra month in the state's Medicaid program.
Sparks' decision preserves what Planned Parenthood says are cancer screenings, birth control access and other health services for nearly 11,000 low-income women at 30 clinics. Texas originally intended to boot Planned Parenthood in January but Sparks told the state to wait pending his ruling. Arkansas, Alabama, Kansas, Mississippi and Louisiana have also had similar efforts blocked.

Sparks' unsparing opinion excoriated Texas for not providing "any evidence" of Planned Parenthood wrongdoing and stalling on the ouster for nearly a year.

"A secretly recorded video, fake names, a grand jury indictment, congressional investigations - these are the building blocks of a best-selling novel rather than a case concerning the interplay of federal and state authority through the Medicaid program," Sparks wrote. "Yet, rather than a villain plotting to take over the world, the subject of this case is the State of Texas's efforts to expel a group of health care providers from a social health care program for families and individuals with limited resources."
A Houston grand jury indicted two activists behind the videos over how they covertly gained access inside a Planned Parenthood clinic, but a judge later dismissed the charges.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Bush daughter headlines Planned Parenthood fundraiser.
Barbara Pierce Bush, the daughter of former President George W. Bush, will headline a Planned Parenthood fundraiser in North Texas on Wednesday.

She will be the keynote speaker at Planned Parenthood of Greater Texas' annual Fort Worth luncheon, helping to raise money for an organization that provides an array of reproductive and sexual health services, including abortions.

Bush's public appearance before the group is striking, given that her father, President George W. Bush, was a staunch abortion opponent during his time as Texas governor and as president.
Eisenhowers already?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Article wrote:Bush's public appearance before the group is striking, given that her father, President George W. Bush, was a staunch abortion opponent during his time as Texas governor and as president.
I wouldn't say it's "striking" as much as it is encouraging to know people can grow beyond the short-sightedness of their parents and the generations before them.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What in the actual FUCK is going on with Indiana:
Published science does not support that this treatment works. Despite this, HB 1128 requires abortion providers to give patients information regarding progesterone therapy to “reverse” abortion. Untrained elected officials are prescribing medical counseling which doctors must provide, and requiring this counseling to include referrals for medically unproven therapies.

The majority of House members were convinced scientifically objective information was important – except for “abortion reversals”, in which case non-scientific counseling is mandatory. The contradiction is puzzling; the disregard for science is disheartening; and the legal requirement that providers include medically unproven therapies when counseling patients is dangerous.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Wait - abortion reversal? That's not ... uh... ??!??
Black Lives Matter

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Paingod wrote:Wait - abortion reversal? That's not ... uh... ??!??
They're not talking about that kind of abortion procedure.
WHAT IS MEDICAL ABORTION?

About a third of women who seek abortions in early pregnancy choose medical abortions because they want a less invasive procedure than a surgical abortion.

In the United States, medical abortion involves taking two drugs. The first - mifepristone - thins the lining of the uterus and loosens the connection between the embryo and the uterine lining. The second - misoprostol - softens and opens the cervix and causes contractions to push out the pregnancy.

The second drug is taken at home hours to days after the first drug.

Women rarely change their minds before completing the treatment. Doctors are required to report such information to the manufacturer of mifepristone. Between 2000 and 2012, less than 0.004 percent of women taking mifepristone changed their minds, Grossman said.

"Women are very sure of their decision by the time they go to the abortion clinic," Grossman said.

___

WHAT ARE THE CLAIMS FOR 'REVERSAL'?

Progesterone is legitimately used to prevent preterm birth in women who are at risk of early delivery. Some claim it can counteract the effects of an unfinished medical abortion.

Dr. George Delgado in San Diego, California, is the chief advocate. He is medical director of Culture of Life Family Services, described as "the 'flip-side' to Planned Parenthood" on its website. The clinic "offers true reproductive health care and abortion alternatives to women," the website says.

Delgado published a paper in 2012 about six women who had taken mifepristone, the first medication in the two-part medical abortion, then had a series of progesterone shots. Four of the six women had healthy babies. The other two aborted.

Delgado says he has given progesterone to several hundred other women who also changed their minds after starting a medical abortion. He says he has a 60 to 70 percent success rate and hopes to publish the results in a peer-reviewed journal.

"If there's a way to give them a second chance at choice, it will be a wonderful thing," Delgado said.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Texas
In pushing a replacement for the Affordable Care Act that cuts off funds for Planned Parenthood, Republicans are out to reassure women who rely on the major health care organisation that other clinics will step up to provide their low-cost breast exams, contraception and cancer screenings.

Texas is already trying to prove it. But one big bet is quietly sputtering, and in danger of teaching the opposite lesson conservatives are after.

Last summer, Texas gave $1.6 million to an anti-abortion organisation called the Heidi Group to help strengthen small clinics that specialise in women's health like Planned Parenthood but don't offer abortions. The goal was to help the clinics boost their patient rolls and show there would be no gap in services if the nation's largest abortion provider had to scale back.

The effort offered a model other conservative states could follow if Republicans make their long-sought dream of defunding Planned Parenthood a reality under President Donald Trump. Several states are already moving to curtail the organisation's funds.

But eight months later, the Heidi Group has little to show for its work. An Associated Press review found the non-profit has done little of the outreach it promised, such as helping clinics promote their services on Facebook, or airing public service announcements. It hasn't made good on plans to establish a 1-800 number to help women find providers or ensure that all clinics have updated websites.

Neither the group nor state officials would say how many patients have been served so far by the private clinics.
The Texas Health and Human Services Commission, which awarded the funding to the Heidi Group, acknowledged the problems. Spokeswoman Carrie Williams said in an email that the agency had to provide “quite a bit” of technical support for the effort and make many site visits. She disputed that the contract funding has been as slow as Everett alleged.
Planned Parenthood and its supporters say the failures show the risks of relying on unproven providers to serve low-income women, and that Republicans' assurances about adequate care are only political rhetoric.
On Tuesday, the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office estimated that 15 percent of low-income people in rural or underserved areas would lose access to care if Planned Parenthood loses funding. The analysis also projected several thousand more births in the Medicaid programme in the next year.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

When SNL Weekend Update accidentally links abortion to a baby instead of a clump of cells?
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Moliere wrote:When SNL Weekend Update accidentally links abortion to a baby instead of a clump of cells?
Yes. They admitted that if you don't have access to abortion services, you'll end up saddled with kids you don't want because you wouldn't be allowed to flush out a clump of cells from your body. What of it? You're in danger of pulling a serious Rip here and the straws aren't big enough to grasp.
Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Miss.
A federal court on Friday permanently blocked Mississippi’s law that threatened to close the state’s only abortion clinic by setting a hospital-privileges requirement the clinic couldn’t fulfill.
Mississippi was one of several states with laws saying physicians who work at an abortion clinic must obtain privileges to admit patients to a local hospital. Mississippi’s law never fully took effect because of a protracted court battle.

Jackson Women’s Health Organization sued the state before the law was to take effect in July 2012, saying the requirement could block access to a constitutionally protected medical procedure.

U.S. District Judge Daniel P. Jordan III let the law take effect but prevented the state from closing the clinic while physicians sought hospital privileges. The state sought to overturn Jordan’s decision, and the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled in 2014 that the law could cut off abortion access in Mississippi.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Joe Rogan talking to Colin Moriarty about abortion. Although pro-choice he understands the need for an honest conversation about what abortion really is and how difficult the issue can be to discuss.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Moliere wrote:Joe Rogan talking to Colin Moriarty about abortion. Although pro-choice he understands the need for an honest conversation about what abortion really is and how difficult the issue can be to discuss.
I love this. I get so aggravated about how often pro-choice individuals want to ignore the messy parts.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Civil liberties endure, tyranny weeps.
Black Lives Matter