Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

AWS260

Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

Post by AWS260 »

Because it's 2017 MERGED.

Wizard School, which my wife backed, has started shipping. And High Frontier 3rd Edition is finally on the boat from China.
Last edited by AWS260 on Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
baelthazar

Re: Kickstarter 2017

Post by baelthazar »

Supposedly Masmorra and Arcadia Quest Inferno are gearing up to ship (some people have gotten shipping notices for Masmorra already).
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

The tables should start shipping in Jan. Though I'll probably get mine in May.

If I'm remembering the updates, Gloomhaven is on a boat and should be around Feb-Mar. Folklore is closing in on the end, but probably won't be until late spring/early summer. Darkest Night is closing in. Apocrypha is closing in. Sentinels hasn't gone off the tracks yet.

So if stars align, I could possibly get all of those by summer.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Outstanding stuff:
Hero Realms, a Deckbuilding Adventure Card Game - second shipment sounds like May
The Duchess - A Gaming Table from BoardGameTables.com - April maybe
Fugitive - March?
The Apocrypha Adventure Card Game - this year
(PC)Torment: Tides of Numenera - 2/28/2017
(PC)Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption by the Quest for Glory designers - hahahahahaha

I haven't backed anything since July 13th. Maybe my kickstarter addiction has been cured. More like my board game buying addiction has been largely cured.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I've got the following supposedly arriving in 2017:

Darkest Night: 2nd edition
Nemo's War: 2nd edition
Massive Darkness
Apocrypha
Shadowscape
Tiny Epic Galaxies: Beyond the Black
Martians: A Story of Civilization
Folklore: The Affliction (not holding my breath on this though...and quite frankly, after playing a demo at Origins last year, not really looking forward to it either)
Covfefe!
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

My Kickstarting has also slowed down considerably. The majority of my remaining items should be arriving by June.

Cthulhu Wars: Onslaught Two - Expected to ship mid January.
Meeple Source - Things are shipping soon.
Sol: Last Days of a Star - Going to print soon.
Battlestations - Shipping end of January.
The Duchess - Shipping soon although I probably wont get mine for a while.
Massive Darkness - Estimated for April but I expect June.

Other things
Codex Silenda - Sounds close to completion but since they are all handmade I have no expectations.
System Shock - Years away.
Divinity Original Sin 2 - Probably delivery late this year.
Orphan - This is a one man indie project that I am really happy I supported. Seems to be a passion project. No idea on delivery though.
Deep Madness - Might ship this year...
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I'd love to start backing some board games.

Any of these still open to back? If not, any suggestions on what you guys are supporting?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Open kickstarters will pop up on this thread as people take note of them. Everything we are listing is stuff we backed last year or in years before that funded. Generally they are only open for like 4-6 weeks.

I suggest skipping kickstarter altogether. Generally you pay more than you would at retail. Sometimes you get it later than retail. Generally there is no way to be sure it's actually a good game. The only positive is exclusives that you would otherwise pay a premium for if you are a completionist. Some kickstarter games don't make it to retail. Generally that means they were crap or too expensive for retail. Either way, not really a great buy.

Hundreds (thousands) of board games are published the traditional way every year. Once you buy all of those, then look at kickstarter.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I love (and more importantly trust) Victory Point Games. The quality of Dawn of the Zeds 3rd edition was fantastic (enough so that it helped me get over my annoyance that a third edition was released so soon after a second edition...which I also had). And they make really fun games.

They have a new card game called Twilight of the Gods that I just backed. It looks fun, and the artwork is by my currently favorite board game artist, Clark Miller.

edit: although I generally agree with Coop these days, small developers like Victory Point Games are what Kickstarter should be about. So I feel good about backing their stuff (as well as anything by John Clowdus of Small Box Games). But it's the big name shops that use it as a preorder system that ruin it, in my opinion.
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

And... first KS backed in 2017 is Twilight of the Gods. Thanks Hep. :wink:
-mf
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I hope I didn't steer you wrong!

But the rulebook is up, there are plenty of demos, and the cards have a wall of text on each of them (seriously, I'm such a dork that if I see a card game in which the cards only have a few words, it turns me off...but add a crap ton of text? I'm in, baby!). And VPG games usually aren't carried by online retailers who do deep discounts, so you're unlikely to find it cheaper upon release.
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I'm sure we'll both be just fine. 8-)
-mf
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

coopasonic wrote:Open kickstarters will pop up on this thread as people take note of them. Everything we are listing is stuff we backed last year or in years before that funded. Generally they are only open for like 4-6 weeks.

I suggest skipping kickstarter altogether. Generally you pay more than you would at retail. Sometimes you get it later than retail. Generally there is no way to be sure it's actually a good game. The only positive is exclusives that you would otherwise pay a premium for if you are a completionist. Some kickstarter games don't make it to retail. Generally that means they were crap or too expensive for retail. Either way, not really a great buy.

Hundreds (thousands) of board games are published the traditional way every year. Once you buy all of those, then look at kickstarter.
I sort of disagree with Coop, with some HUGE caveats. Certain games, like those by VPG, have limited releases and get more expensive than the Kickstarter. My favorite company is Cool Mini or Not (often abbreviated as CMON). Yes, you pay more for their games on Kickstarter, but you tend to get a HUGE number of KS exclusives, to the point that some KS versions have almost double or triple the number of characters or other minis. This is particularly the case for Massive Darkness, Arcadia Quest (and Inferno), The Others, and Masmorra. I have actually MADE money by backing Rum and Bones and Zombicide and then selling the KS-exclusive minis for $20 a pop (usually around 6-7 minis, so I got $120 back from a ~$100 pledge).

But, for the most part, you do not need to KS games and should avoid the ones from new developers.

This year, I have, boardgames:
Masmorra
Arcadia Quest: Inferno
Massive Darkness
Hostage Negotiator, Crime Wave
Darkest Night, 2nd Edition
Nemo's War, 2nd Edition
Tiny Epic Quest (with add-ons of Tiny Epic Galaxy and Tiny Epic Galaxy: Beyond the Black)

PC games:
Battletech (about 98% sure this will come through)
AI War II (about 75% confidence)
Divinity Original Sin II (already partially through, but 98% confidence)
That Which Sleeps (0.0000000000000000000000000000001% confidence)
Predestination (who knows... it has been in Early Access for ages)

To further counterpoint Coop, my favorite games have been KS projects. Arcadia Quest is probably my top-played game and I really like Pyramid Arcade, which I recently received.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Anything by stonemeir games is pretty much always worth backing. Otherwise be very selective. I think some are worth it. I have some duds from early on but now I am very selective on what I back.

I disagree on cmon. I have backed several of theirs in the past but no longer do. I think they make good games. But the Kickstarters are way too expensive for the actual game. Yes you get hordes of miniatures but those miniatures don't end up adding much to the actual gameplay. You can have just as much fun buying the base game for sixty bucks later rather than getting sucked into the 150-300 range for the same game NOW WITH HORDES OF MINIS. But if you are into just owning a ton of miniatures they are a great deal.

Now when I back a Kickstarter I do a ton of research. I read the rulebook (if it isn't available I will no longer back a game), I watch the play throughs if available, I look at the cost, and I look at their kick starter history. Then I make an educated decision, but I still rarely back a game anymore. They simply are not a good deal.

But in the last year I got two that I am incredibly happy with and one that I'm fine with.
- pyramid arcade
- mare nostrum
- scythe

But I do rarely back games now.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I am cutting back after nearly getting burned on the Pebble and getting burned too often on PC Games. I have many unplayed board games and have found it relatively easy to jump on with direct orders later -- that's how I picked up Scythe and am in line for Burning Suns.

I almost went in on the flat miniatures, then realized I could order the 1 pack I really wanted at their website and get it now. I realized we wouldn't get to the expansion for Monte Cook's No Thank You Evil until GenCon anyway, so I'm hoping to "discover" it with my kids there.

Some publishers and concepts will still draw me in anyway. I'm in for more Bones and Kobolds Ate My Baby. Meeple Source, Tiny Epic and Tasty Minstrel get looks.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Chrisoc13 wrote:Yes you get hordes of miniatures but those miniatures don't end up adding much to the actual gameplay. You can have just as much fun buying the base game for sixty bucks later rather than getting sucked into the 150-300 range for the same game NOW WITH HORDES OF MINIS. But if you are into just owning a ton of miniatures they are a great deal.
This is HERESY and I won't hear it! :wink:

To be fair, certain games this is not true. For Arcadia Quest, I would say that the extra characters are almost a requirement (we have played so much that the stock characters would have gotten boring by now). Zombicide, however, meh - extra characters are fine, but not necessary. Which is why I often sell them.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Just Tiny Epic Galaxies: Beyond the Black and Near & Far (sequel to Above & Below) for me coming this year.

No plans to back anything else but never say never! :D
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Zarathud wrote: and am in line for Burning Suns.
I keep hearing about this game, but I think it's a myth. Like Scythe and Cyclades, games you tell me about but I've never seen. :P
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Kickstarter 2017

Post by Zarathud »

I've only joined the waiting list fir Burning Suns in the last 6 months. The Kickstarter backers have been waiting around since 2013. I did get a chance to play with RMC at Origins.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

The one I'm currently watching my inbox for is Blood and Plunder. They're mailing out the rewards, but slowly...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

This is more Kickstarter adjacent but… Miniature Market has Cthulhu Wars Onslaught Two content up for preorder, most of it significantly cheaper than the Kickstarter prices itself. Quantities are limited but if you missed the KS or just didn’t get everything you wanted, this is a great opportunity.

I picked up the Sleeper Faction, thus completing my collection of all player factions. At these prices I wish I hadn’t pledged for as much as I did…

This should also serve as a warning to anyone new to Kickstarter.

---

And...I guess people threw a hissy fit and got it removed. Oh well, I wonder if I will get my order or have it canceled?
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

hepcat wrote:I love (and more importantly trust) Victory Point Games. The quality of Dawn of the Zeds 3rd edition was fantastic (enough so that it helped me get over my annoyance that a third edition was released so soon after a second edition...which I also had). And they make really fun games.
I agree, but they're not very good at estimating production timelines. Zeds was about 7 months late, and it looks like Nemo's War will be the same.
hepcat wrote:They have a new card game called Twilight of the Gods that I just backed. It looks fun, and the artwork is by my currently favorite board game artist, Clark Miller.
Twilight of the Gods isn't my kind of game, but I love that we finally have a tabletop game designed by a professional football player.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

The recent update has Nemo's War at July 2017. So that is a bummer, but expected.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Aargh...

“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

AWS260 wrote: Twilight of the Gods isn't my kind of game, but I love that we finally have a tabletop game designed by a professional football player.
That is freakin' great! I didn't realize that. I've watched a couple of his videos for the game, and read some of his bgg posts and he certainly comes across as an avid gamer, not just a guy trying to make a buck on something he thinks is a fad. More power to him!
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Peek and Play with Kluwe and Chris Morgan
It's almost as if people are the problem.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Isgrimnur wrote:Peek and Play with Kluwe and Chris Morgan
Kluwe is a regular on Wil Wheaton's Tabletop. The best one is where he plays a Viking in Champions of Midgard. They make quite a bit of him being a former Viking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0536RU ... 6GWhBxiAwE

He also seems like a fairly decent human being. He was very vocal about mistreatment of gay players by the NFL and his support for gay marriage.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

baelthazar wrote:The recent update has Nemo's War at July 2017. So that is a bummer, but expected.
The videos I've seen of the components were quite impressive. Wish it was coming earlier but I'm pretty confident it's not vaporware so spending the extra time to get it right is okay. Besides, with Gloomhaven making its way across the ocean I think I'll have my limited gaming space filled in a few weeks.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

hentzau wrote:Aargh...

Nice looking set. Looks like it'll be fun.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

$iljanus wrote:
baelthazar wrote:The recent update has Nemo's War at July 2017. So that is a bummer, but expected.
The videos I've seen of the components were quite impressive. Wish it was coming earlier but I'm pretty confident it's not vaporware so spending the extra time to get it right is okay. Besides, with Gloomhaven making its way across the ocean I think I'll have my limited gaming space filled in a few weeks.
I have faith in VPG, as they are veterans of the board gaming community. But I was looking forward to getting those earlier than summer. Oh well, as you said, there are plenty of other things to mess with and I have a slew of GW minis to paint!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I wonder if my copy of darkest night 2nd edition will arrive before nemo's war?
Covfefe!
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

hepcat wrote:I wonder if my copy of darkest night 2nd edition will arrive before nemo's war?
According to the KS pages for both, Nemo's War is further along in the development timeline. They are about to hit go on printing for Nemo's War, while Darkest Night is still in proofing. I would say July for Nemo and September for DN.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

My current status for kickstarters.

Waiting on:
Outlive- Was projected for February, but I think it is going to be late. Not sure how late, honestly I don't care with kickstarters anymore, I'm just happy when I get them and otherwise forget about it.
Yokohama- No Idea. I think it was due in march... sounds like it is on track... but who knows.
Fields of Green- Shipped, but from Greece so who knows when it will get here. 1 month late, not too shabby. I forgot about it until the shipping notice.
Tiny Epic Galaxies Beyond the Black- Due in May
Tiny Epic Quest- Due in August

Nothing on the radar off the top of my head that is coming up.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Things I'm waiting for:
Sci-Fi Dungeon 3D Files:
Tabletop Hex Terrain Toolkit:
The Walking Dead No Sanctuary:

I also backed the Battletech PC game, but not on kickstarter..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Well, lets start the CMON miniature train off!

The World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch
Steampunk 1vs4 game with a branching(?) campaign and a parasitic nemesis system. The more special resource the heroes use the more powerful the nemesis becomes. Seems interesting but I have a bit of 1vsALL fatigue. I still backed as an early bird (all gone now), will wait for more information before I decide whether or not to keep the pledge.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I was tempted by that one, but I'm not a fan of the one versus many gameplay it uses.
Covfefe!
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I am also not a fan of it. I just end up always being the one.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I got an email from Kickstarter about this game.

What's the 1 vs 4 gameplay mean?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

One person plays the Game Master/Dungeon Lord/etc. Everyone else plays the "good guys".

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

OK, thanks

Don't think it's my type of game.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs