New mouse time

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Daehawk

Re: New mouse time

Post by Daehawk »

I won a Azio GM2400 the other week from a gal online. Ive not gotten it yet but maybe soon. I can let you know how it is.

From what Ive heard AZIO is trying to make a name for themselves with gamers and such and their products are liked and cheap right now. I would love their red HUE keyboard too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Got the 602 for Xmas. Very happy with the mouse, even mute happy with wireless. My other mouse was fine but the cable would always get snagged on something when I was moving my laptop from table tray to my lap. Driving me nuts.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: I'm happy enough with it that, should my current mouse fail, I'd probably try a Corsair instead.
It did, and I did. I got the Corsair M65 RGB Pro. Hands down the best mouse I've ever had. It's corded, but I need to move my desktop into my lap, so it isn't a problem. Besides, I have a mouse bungee that takes the cord completely out of the equation. It isn't that model (I got one of the very first ones that came out), but is nearly identical. My kids each have one of those, and they work just as well for controlling the mouse cord.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Interesting. I tend to hang up my cords anyway. My headphones are routed over a change jar with a protrusion on the lid, which keeps the cord off the desk (and off my arms) while playing, and my mouse cord is kept up on a pen holder next to it, keeping the cable up and off the mouse pad. I also have a very large mouse pad to work with, which I love. It's low-profile and slick with a slightly adhesive back (I still have it taped down to avoid slipping). I don't go in for fabrics and padding.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

I need a mouse bungee. This Deathadder has a braided cord which I thought would be super awesome since I love the braided cords on instrument cables and earbuds, but since the back of my desk is fairly rough wood, it just snags the cord constantly.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been using one for probably 15 years now. It was sent to me as a review unit back when it was a new idea. If you set it just right, there is some slack in the cord between the mouse and the bungee which forms a natural half-loop, making, it so that there is zero cord drag during the normal range of motion. If you should exceed that, the spring flexes, letting it go further. They hold the cord securely (mine's got a braided cord, too.) The silver dome is actually a ball, which serves as a weight so that it stays put. The best part is that they're not expensive at all.

There are a number of other styles out there, but I haven't tried any of the personally.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Blackhawk wrote:
Blackhawk wrote: I'm happy enough with it that, should my current mouse fail, I'd probably try a Corsair instead.
It did, and I did. I got the Corsair M65 RGB Pro. Hands down the best mouse I've ever had. It's corded, but I need to move my desktop into my lap, so it isn't a problem. Besides, I have a mouse bungee that takes the cord completely out of the equation. It isn't that model (I got one of the very first ones that came out), but is nearly identical. My kids each have one of those, and they work just as well for controlling the mouse cord.
I have been using one for about a year and love it, but I need to contact Corsair as the middle click on the scroll wheel is already broken. Reading online it seems this is a very common issue. I moved my middle click to the sniper button as a temporary kludge.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My AZIO mouse arrived that I won. Quick impressions are....

AZIO GM2400

Has a DPI switch on top which works very well. Has 4 settings up to 2400 dpi.

Overall mouse is very light but a great size. Im a fingertip grip user.

Has a black and blue braided cord which is very long.

Lights up all over with blue lighting which is bright.

Tracks great

Has left right middle and two thumb buttons. All are good clicking except the first thumb button. It is VERY sensitive and will trigger at the slightest touch. Says it has 6 buttons but Im not sure where that last one is LOL.

Comes with no software...doesn't need any.

Precise.

Its cost if I had had to purchase it would be $20 and I think its well worth that depending on how long it holds up.

dpis are 800/1200/1600/2400

right hand contour only

A pic off the internets
Enlarge Image
Last edited by Daehawk on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

FWIW, there's a cheap mouse bungee on Amazon, $2, but you pay like $4 in shipping. (or pay $8 and have it shipped free from Amazon) MECO brand, I think.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

That's the one I ordered last week, only the shipping was free so I paid a grand total of $2.51.

The tracking tells me it will arrive "between Feb 1 - Feb 23". I'm almost certain I will have completely forgotten about it by the time it gets here and it will be a nice little surprise in the mail. Hopefully it won't have barnacles on it or something.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The Logitech MX Master is on sale for $64.99

I like it except for that thumb scroll wheel on the side in the way.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

For what it's worth, if you want a CONFIGURABLE mouse... Consider this odd Chinese mouse by a company named "James Donkey"

James Donkey 007 Mouse w/ switchable parts

2 bottoms, 3 left sides, 3 right sides, and 3 palm panels (choose the config you want)

8 programmable buttons (and 6 configs can be stored on the mouse)

8200 dpi laser sensor, up to 30G acceleration, OMRON microswitch for the buttons

AND it's got color lights if you care about that sort of thing. :D

It's sold by several companies on Amazon so you have different vendors and colors to choose from.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote:
TheMix wrote:While I can't fault the Razer dislike, that is sadly what I currently have. :D

Seriously, I haven't had any issues in a while. So maybe (crosses fingers) Razer has finally hired someone competent to write their drivers. I have a Hex:
For me it was quality control + customer support. I had a Razer Imperator go bad under warranty (bad switch, known issue for that model.) I sent it back out of my own pocket. They sent me a refurbished mouse as a replacement. It had the exact same problem out of the box (clicking once resulted in two or three clicks.) I sent it back, and it was replaced with a different mouse with a different known issue. That's three bad mice in a row. When I wrote them back the third time, the accused me of fraud, saying I was trying to rip them off, and told me that this replacement would be my last, regardless of the warranty.

The final replacement worked, at least for the few months it took me to save up to buy a non-Razer mouse. I stuck it in a drawer and chose to never do business with Razer again.
Humorous update. My son uses the old Razer mouse for gaming. He uses it maybe three or four hours a week, total. After six months of that level of usage (and I only used it a couple of months when it first came in), it broke with exactly the same issue that killed the first three.

That's four bad mice in a row from Razer, and I'm a scam artist for complaining.

Seriously, unless it was free, I wouldn't touch a Razer with a ten-foot pole. Even if it was free, I'd still keep the pole handy.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i have a Razer Deathadder 2013. i like it ok, but i am halfway expecting it to die unexpectedly. will not get any Razer product again if it does.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

As a longtime trackball afficiando, I'm keenly interested to see what, if anything, comes of the Gaming Trackball:
GamingTrackball.com wrote: Image

Gameball Video

GameBall is the first trackball developed specifically for the computer gamer. Many gamers prefer the control, precision and comfort offered by a trackball, but find their device choices very limited. The market is flooded with gaming mice, but no trackball with the features, functions and form wanted by today’s gamers. GameBall is the answer.

We designed GameBall from the ground up specifically for the computer gamer. We are gamers ourselves and focused on creating a quality high-end trackball that can stand up to the demands and needs of gamers. In short, GameBall was built by computer gamers for computer gamers.

Key Features
  • Precise fingertip control
  • Ideal ergonomic design
  • Precision optical sensor with pinpoint accuracy
  • Responsive and highly durable buttons
  • Optimal scroll wheel placement
  • Carbon black with LED lighting
  • 6 programmable buttons
  • Built to last with gaming-grade components
Technical Specifications
  • Compatibility: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.8 or later
  • Connection: Wired USB cable (70 in / 178 cm)
  • Design: Ergonomically right-handed
  • Sensor: High resolution optical
  • Warranty: Two year limited hardware warranty
  • Installation: Plug and Play
  • Bearings: Ceramic
  • Manufactured: United Kingdom
Not Just for Gaming
  • Fully capable everyday trackball
  • Reduced repetitive fatigue
  • Fast and easy website navigation
  • Precision tracking for 3D design and CAD work
  • Less desk space needed than a traditional mouse
  • Low stress on your arm and shoulder
  • Simple to clean and maintain
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Interesting! Back when I was writing, I'd often put in 12+ hours a day going back and forth between a game and writing about the game, and I got really bad carpal and cubital tunnel syndromes. Switching to a trackball solved that, and I kept gaming with it for several years after it wasn't an issue any more. I quit using one because my Trackball Explorer died and wasn't being produced anymore (they're going for $120-$200 on ebay right now, retail was like $30.) I started looking and there were so many interesting developments in the gaming mouse world, while trackballs were all designed for regular applications, generally either very simple without comparable features, or very, very expensive.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

By coincidence*, Ian had some Amazon gift cards saved up from his birthday/Christmas, which he spent on a Corsair M65 Pro RGB (top mouse in that article) to replace the dead Razer. It's the same mouse I use, and the same mouse his brother bought himself a few months ago.

*Not really a coincidence, as I researched the crap out of mice before I got mine, and they followed my lead. It isn't coincidence that the mouse I found was the best was the same one various sites are ranking highly.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

the Razer Deathadder 2013 i am using has started to malfunction after just over a year of use. it will just randomly stop tracking, and the USB cable needs to be unplugged and replugged for it to work again. compare that to the various Microsoft mice i've used, which usually last around seven years.

of course it is out of warranty now >:(
BooTx

Post by BooTx »

BooTx wrote:That's the one I ordered last week, only the shipping was free so I paid a grand total of $2.51.

The tracking tells me it will arrive "between Feb 1 - Feb 23". I'm almost certain I will have completely forgotten about it by the time it gets here and it will be a nice little surprise in the mail. Hopefully it won't have barnacles on it or something.
Update!

I never received it, and when I checked the merchant's feedback it was just about bottomed out. Amazon reimbursed me.

The 2013 Deathadder is still working fine. The mouse wheel doesn't squeak like it used to but it's still pretty spongy.

I did also find a Steelseries Apex Raw keyboard on clearance for $25 so I figured I'd replace my aging $10 Logitech K120. It's going to take a bit of getting used to the different layout. I can't just instinctively find WASD (or the home keys for that matter). Assuming I do eventually get used to it, I'm liking it for the price (but like the Deathadder, would never pay the original asking amount).

It has all these macro buttons which I thought would be cool and useful, but now that I actually have it I'm not even sure what the hell I'm going to use them for.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

trying out a "Monoprice 5-Button Optical Laser Gaming Mouse" that i got from my previous job's junk pile. it is surprisingly full-featured for a $9 mouse, although it is quirky. the adjustable DPI buttons actually work. the adjustable weight option is useless. the LED is far too bright, so i'm going to cover it with electrical tape. the 'forward webpage' side button is huge and makes a great 'melee' button for FPS games, but i need to make it the 'backward webpage' button on the desktop, since the other side button is harder to reach. it's a good size for my biggish hands and grip seems comfortable enough. reviews on reliability are not good - i expect this to last for about half a year, at most.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hitbyambulance wrote:the Razer Deathadder 2013 i am using has started to malfunction after just over a year of use. it will just randomly stop tracking, and the USB cable needs to be unplugged and replugged for it to work again. compare that to the various Microsoft mice i've used, which usually last around seven years.

of course it is out of warranty now >:(
I've told the story a couple of times about Razer sending me four defective mice in a row. This was the exact issue with mouse #2, straight out of the box.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I've found that some devices don't like being plugged into USB3 ports. If you have USB2 ports, plug your stuff into that before you try something else.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

nope, it's definitely plugged into a standard USB 2.0 port on the back of the machine, and always has been (my motherboard only has two USB 3 ports, and those are reserved for the backup drives).

i wrote customer service and the reply was full of helpful advice like
You can also try reducing the polling rate to a standard of 125hz. This will eliminate the lag in most cases.
err, what lag.
Blackhawk wrote:I've told the story a couple of times about Razer sending me four defective mice in a row. This was the exact issue with mouse #2, straight out of the box.
well, that's reassuring. i believe they won't do anything for me, but i'll try.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The original failure was within the warranty period. The bad mice were switch, USB issue, switch, switch. After the third they accused me of fraud.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

I didn't get accused of fraud, but I had Logitech sending me a new G7 every 6 months for two years because of the double-click issue that was going around back then. After the last one developed the exact same problem, again, after about 6 months, I sensed that they would soon be accusing me of fraud, and just gave up. I will give them kudos for their excellent warranty service. I never once had to send in any of the defective mice. I still have them here somewhere, waiting for me to get ambitious enough to take them apart, and attempt repairs (I think it was microswitch-related, but I'm guessing).

After that, I haven't been back to Logitech since, at least for mice. (Except for a single G700, which I just tossed when it developed the same problem.) Corsair is the only brand I've found that never had this problem. And that means I'm now back to a corded mouse.

Too bad. That G7 was, and still would be, my favorite mouse of all time. The thing felt just perfect. I never had a connection problem. It performed flawlessly. Which is why I tried to get a good one for so long.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive had that double click off and on. On this mouse I have it started and then went away and came back and went away. Now it just gives me trouble holding the button down...its sporadic. And ya from what I read its a little metal spring in the micro switch thats supposedly fixable by people. I was going to do it and it quit having that problem.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I've tried a lot of mice recently and my top pick is the Logitech G-Pro. It's under $50 and looks like a generic mouse that comes with a Dell computer. However, this mouse is a beast. It has a great sensor and the buttons are damn near perfect. It's a light mouse and isn't that big, but it works PERFECTLY with my fingertip grip. It's a simple symmetrical design that is not going to be ideal for palm grip. It's the best mouse I've ever used. No frills and to the point. It was made for the pro gaming crowd and I believe it. It's built like a tank and gets out of your way when you play. With my grip style this is an extremely comfortable mouse.

I also have a Corsair M65 Pro and it is a very good mouse. It has a dedicated sniper button and that isn't something I've found useful, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have an extra button that is convenient with just the right amount of pressure to engage it. Since using it I've grown to prefer the smaller/lighter and symmetrical G-Pro, however I would recommend the Corsair all day long. It's a solid mouse.

If you want a good, inexpensive mouse, the Razer Diamondback is priced at $39 at Amazon. It's sort of a polarizing mouse because of its long, thin shape. It works great for fingertip grips and is a really good mouse. The buttons are just a tad light and can result in some occasional accidental clicks. It has buttons on the left and right side and the ones you don't use can be set for DPI adjustments. I prefer the Logitech G-Pro, but the Diamondback is no joke. If I didn't have a G-Pro I'd use this.
Last edited by McNutt on Tue May 09, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

Daehawk wrote: Has left right middle and two thumb buttons. All are good clicking except the first thumb button. It is VERY sensitive and will trigger at the slightest touch. Says it has 6 buttons but Im not sure where that last one is LOL.
Enlarge Image
I'm guessing the buttons are:
Left
Right
Forward (thumb)
Back (thumb)
DPI
Scroll wheel (you can press it for another function)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

hitbyambulance wrote:nope, it's definitely plugged into a standard USB 2.0 port on the back of the machine, and always has been (my motherboard only has two USB 3 ports, and those are reserved for the backup drives).

i wrote customer service and the reply was full of helpful advice like
You can also try reducing the polling rate to a standard of 125hz. This will eliminate the lag in most cases.
err, what lag.
Blackhawk wrote:I've told the story a couple of times about Razer sending me four defective mice in a row. This was the exact issue with mouse #2, straight out of the box.
well, that's reassuring. i believe they won't do anything for me, but i'll try.
aaaand they wrote me to say my mouse was out of warranty, too bad. they also said:
I hope that this incident does not deter you to continue supporting Razer as your primary choice for gaming peripherals.
ahahahaha. i made sure to respond succinctly, but with emphasis to that point.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Welp I may have did it this time. I threw my mouse. My probably 8 year old mouse. Seems ok except the middle click on the wheel. It has no 'click' to it. It works but there no feedback and I have to REALLY mash it or hit it. And then a lot of times it will open 2 windows instead of oen and in game it NEVER works when I need it to.

I took it apart but seems i cant fix this. Damn me. The good news is I have a back up mouse. A brand new AZIO I won and Logitech still sells my old one. Bad news is I am not used to the new one and it is a little hard to use and the Logitech one is STILL $99.

Guess Ill get used to it unless I find a fix for my Logi one.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Impulse control.
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

tjg_marantz wrote:Impulse control.
Is that a feature on those new Logitech mice?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I may need a mouse soon myself. My G500S's scroller wheel is "dragging" (it used to scroll very smoothly) and apparently it's a PITA to open it and clean it (Logitech hides all the screws under labels and sticky pads) and even then I'm not certain it'll go back together correctly.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Took mine apart yesterday. its not tough. Screws are under the pads is all. iFixit might have a guide for that.
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

What kind of mouse are you looking for? Wired, wireless, gaming?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Something that has good thumb buttons. I have MX512 before G500S. but I'm trying not to spend too much money. Maybe $40 or so. Still looking.

G602 Wireless is available for $35, has 11 buttons, several at the thumb level. Looks pretty good.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I bought the 602. I think they could have gone for a better thumb button arrangement, as I seriously doubt people have thumbs that can reach all six buttons, but it's perfectly usable. Now I can take apart my G500S and fix that poor wheel.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If I 'have' to buy a mouse Im likely to simply get another Performance MX.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

a friend's mouse died so she bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AZT5JG/

i think it's literally the cheapest mouse you can get on Amazon. (funny enough, she said it was the same brand as the one she currently had, and had been using for the past 10? 15? years)
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.