Nintendo Switch = NX

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by Blackhawk »

The problem for me is that I still have two kids. This is going to be one portable console. I'm not sure that would work out well.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Blackhawk wrote:The problem for me is that I still have two kids. This is going to be one portable console. I'm not sure that would work out well.
Is it portable when it's docked? My understanding is that it functions like a traditional console at that point.

I'm debating whether to get a Switch at launch for the new Zelda or just pick up Zelda for our WiiU. I'm looking on the web to see if there are any differences between the two versions but so far I haven't found anything specific.

EDIT - Found Target.com had them in stock and I get 5% off with my Red Card - so the decision is made and the pre-oder is placed.
Last edited by Exodor on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No, but it is when it is undocked. Which means that only one of the boys could have it with them when away from home, which is instant headaches.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote:No, but it is when it is undocked. Which means that only one of the boys could have it with them when away from home, which is instant headaches.
Solution: zero of the boys can have it with them when away from home. That's Daddy Switch time.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Zaxxon wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:No, but it is when it is undocked. Which means that only one of the boys could have it with them when away from home, which is instant headaches.
Solution: zero of the boys can have it with them when away from home. That's Daddy Switch time.
Caiden, you drive. I'm playing Zelda!
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Sounds good to me.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

The $300 price doesn't phase me, but 1-2 Switch should be a free pack-in, and $80 for the Pro Controller is bananas.

I've got my preorder in, though. I don't have a Wii U so this is my best gateway to getting the new Zelda, which is a must-have for me. I'm also looking forward to introducing modern Nintendo games to my kids for the first time, so even if the Switch was predicted to be as disastrous as the Wii U, I'd probably still be buying it.

I keep on wanting to call this the Wii Switch.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Exodor wrote:I'm debating whether to get a Switch at launch for the new Zelda or just pick up Zelda for our WiiU. I'm looking on the web to see if there are any differences between the two versions but so far I haven't found anything specific.
For what it's worth:

I also read elsewhere that Switch Zelda will be 720p when handheld, 900p when on TV. Do we know what the Wii U version will render at?
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Preordered.

Mario Kart is also soon behind the launch. I'm in.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Well I pre-ordered it... because I have owned nearly every nintendo game system ever and I love their games. The best in-room multiplayer available bar none.

But... I don't really have much incentive to buy it at launch... so I'm still not entirely sure why I am getting it at launch. I already own a Wii U... so I could just pick up Zelda on the wii U. I also already own mario kart 8 which I have played to death. And it is a fantastic game. There isn't anything else at or around launch that even interests me in the new system. Honestly. Not until Mario Odyssey comes out in almost a year.

So we will see, I might still cancel my pre-order. I know eventually I will own this system... but maybe it would be best to wait. Honestly the launch titles are lackluster. Nintendo always does their own thing but... come on... what incentive are you giving people to even upgrade? Those with a Wii U have zero reason to upgrade. Ugh. Come on Nintendo pull something out of your hat that isn't already available on Wii U or will be available on Wii U and give me a reason to keep my pre-order. I want to give you my money!
JCC

Post by JCC »

(As I wrote yesterday on GT...)

Finally did a bit of reading about it this morning. The launch lineup is pathetic. The (paid) online service sounds horrid. It looks like this will have even less 3rd party support than the Wii U. In the UK it costs significantly more than the PS4/XB1. I can't imagine why any Wii U owner would buy this at launch. Only 2.5 guaranteed hours of battery life?

I still think the idea for it is interesting, but this has fail written all over it.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I agree. I have no reason to buy it. I will never use the mobile function... And yet... I can't get myself to cancel my order
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

My two younger kids are hell bent on getting this, to the point where they have pooled their money together and are looking ahead to their allowance for the next 6 weeks to see if they can swing it. All so they can play the latest Zelda game. Crazy kids.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I plan to play the hell out of Zelda whilst laying in bed at night getting sleepy.
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Also, if you are going to cancel your preorder -- don't! Put it on ebay and make a mint. They are already going for $450 to $500.
It's 34 bowl victories.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hentzau wrote:My two younger kids are hell bent on getting this, to the point where they have pooled their money together and are looking ahead to their allowance for the next 6 weeks to see if they can swing it. All so they can play the latest Zelda game. Crazy kids.
Just informed them that it appears that all of the preorders are sold out. Ah well. Give them more time to save up.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We thought it was the WiiU 2.0.

Looks like it is the NES Classic 2.0 instead.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Ars talks about the console's shortcomings. I've also watched some youtube videos of people who've gotten to try it out. Sorry, I just don't get the value proposition.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

stessier wrote:Sorry, I just don't get the value proposition.
It lets me play Zelda in 45 days and I guess it does some other stuff too
For me this is about all it takes for a sale. The new Zelda looks amazing, and since I never bought a Wii U, the Switch is the sanest path to me playing it.

But the other stuff is actually getting me pretty excited as well.

Portability
I came pretty close to buying a $250 Vita so I could use PS4 Remote Play and play something in another room if the TV was taken up by kids or the wife, and so I could try out Vita exclusives. The Switch is more or less a more advanced version of Remote Play, with more/better exclusives than the Vita, for not much more money. The portability is a big enough selling point for me that I can see myself buying some multi-platform games on Switch instead of XB1/PS4 as long as they aren't graphical showcase games.

Wii waggle stuff
I'd care less about this if I didn't have kids, but I do and I can see them having a ton of fun with 1-2 Switch and any other Wii waggle stuff that comes along.

Wii U exclusives
I kept on almost buying a Wii U for its highest rated exclusives, but the library was never quite enough to be compelling. Since the Wii U was such a disaster, I imagine a lot of its games will be ported over to the Switch like already announced Lego City Undercover and the Splatoon sequel.

Switch exclusives
The slow IV drip of the Switch's 2017 release calendar suits me and my limited amount of weekly gaming hours just fine. Arms is sounding similar to Virtual On, which I loved. That Square Enix Octopath Traveler game looks phenomenal. Snipperclips, Splatoon, Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey look like they'll be great. I'm really looking forward to Stardew Valley in portable form. Further down the line, Untitled No More Heroes Sequel and Untitled Pokemon game are exclusives I'll surely want to play.

Counting ice cubes
I've always had a hard time knowing how many ice cubes are in video game cups I'm pretending to hold, and now I'll know.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

hentzau wrote:
hentzau wrote:My two younger kids are hell bent on getting this, to the point where they have pooled their money together and are looking ahead to their allowance for the next 6 weeks to see if they can swing it. All so they can play the latest Zelda game. Crazy kids.
Just informed them that it appears that all of the preorders are sold out. Ah well. Give them more time to save up.
Too bad I don't live in Chicago anymore, I would probably just give them my pre order.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

As a completely non-biased, non-loyal console owner (PS3, original, still working somehow after X years), I have been eyeing options for a second console for our playroom now that I finally ran cable and internet up there, as well as installing a TV on the wall, plus sound bar.

I use the ancient PS3 downstairs in my main entertainment center area, primarily as a Blu Ray player, but some occasional gaming (mostly kids). In the past couple of years, though, it has mostly been used for the PS3's streaming apps - Netflix, Amazon, HBO, et al. When that dies, I had planned to replace with a PS4.

For the playroom however, I was completely open, and when I first started looking, the Wii U came up as best option for kids and motion. But then I read a couple of opinions about how one should NOT be considering the U (at the time I was reading) since the replacement console would be out soon.

So I guess this is it, and I have to say, I was hoping more for a dedicated, non-portable console. Not crazy about the spec limitations that I am sure will be present just due to having to make it portable, and my kids already have access to way too many game playing phones and tablets for portability to be any kind of plus.

So consider me underwhelmed and a bit disappointed as well. I guess the only other option is a PS4 (maybe move my old PS3 upstairs and get a new PS4 for the entertainment center), or whatever the latest Xbox offering is? My focus (for the console upstairs was mostly:
1. family friendly console
2. some kind of motion control
3. not too spendy

Without looking too hard, the Wii U seemed to fill that role pretty damn well, but now...poot.

I ALMOST bought a Wii U even in the face of so many people yelling "WAIIIIIIITTTT!!!" since I read a couple of comments mentioning that even though the the lack of titles was disappointing, the ones they had were amazing for kids/family/local multiplayer, and worth the cost of admission.

I don't care at all about brand, exclusives, portability, or online play (so the "network" options for all the consoles are of no interest to me in terms of a buying decision), so I really am an open slate here. I guess one thing pushing me towards the PS4 option is that I THINK I can use some of my old PS3 games (still buying some!) on that as well?

The motion control on the PS3 is amazing IMO, so I can only imagine what a current gen console's motion tech would be like.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

For a family console nothing beats a Nintendo consoles. Your list of things you're looking for days you would do well to choose the Wii u or switch.

The Wii u actually has a lot of really great games on it. And in my opinion the Nintendo exclusives alone are worth buying their systems for.

Also motion tech... Has not really improved as much as it has just fallen by the way side in my experience. It's still there to some degree but it's largely dwindled.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

You think it would make sense to buy a Wii U today, over a Switch?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My 10 YO daughter still plays with an original Wii; we completely skipped the Wii U. I'm watching the Switch, but I've also learned that purchasing new consoles on release rarely seems to be a good idea.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote:You think it would make sense to buy a Wii U today, over a Switch?
Should be cheap, used Wii U available in a couple months. Alternatively get a streaming stick for your downstairs TV and put the PS3 in the playroom and let them play that.

I wish Nintendo would just give up on consoles and publish games for the other two. Their consoles are always about a gimmick and it's a never a gimmick that I care about. Of course I say that but they don't really have any properties I particularly care for either so I don't know why I am posting in this thread. Bye!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Carpet_pissr wrote:You think it would make sense to buy a Wii U today, over a Switch?
I guess it depends on multiple things.

Is the cost of the Wii U going to drop with the switch? I hope so. Right now they are the same price which seems slightly insane. For the same price it seems hard to justify purchase of a now dead system. But if it drop to sub $200... maybe.

The game library of the switch is going to be extremely limited... likely for quite a while it seems. Basically Zelda. Then Mario kart 8 a month later. But both of those are on the Wii U. Skyrim comes out this fall... but yeah that's an old game, you can play it on your PS3. Mario is the first true exclusive on the slate that really is going to move numbers that the Wii U doesn't already have.

Did you own a Wii? If not the Wii U library is expansive at this point.
Wii U games I have had a blast with-
New Super Mario Bros Wii U + Luigi expansion
Super Mario 3D
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
Super Mario Maker
Super Smash Bros Wii U
Mario Kart 8 (will be on switch)
Nintendoland

There are a bunch of other exclusives I have not gotten to yet either like Starfox, Kirby, etc., and Zelda which is still to come.

But with backwards compatibility the Wii library is massive (I mean it was one of the best selling console ever). Some of those games are a little dated now, but some of them, due to the way Nintendo games work, are really not. Such as New Super Mario bros. So there is that to think of.

With no backwards compatibility the risk of being an early adopter with the Switch is the same problem I had with the Wii U, no games. At least the Wii U had backwards compatibility to fill that void, but geez the cupboards are bare for the switch at this point.

So long response, but for me it boils down to this- Nintendo is literally the only company still doing in room same system multiplayer. Their 1st party games are still fantastic. The Wii U actually has a decent library (even without the Wii backlog) despite popular opinion. People seem to keep thinking of the library being what it was the first year or two, but it actually is loaded with iconic Nintendo franchises at this point, in fact they have a game from just about everything except metroid at this point. If the price drops... I don't think the Wii U is a terrible get. If it doesn't, it might be worth picking up the switch. It will get games, but I am guessing they will be 1st party games and Nintendo trickles those out.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

coopasonic wrote:
Should be cheap, used Wii U available in a couple months. Alternatively get a streaming stick for your downstairs TV and put the PS3 in the playroom and let them play that.

I wish Nintendo would just give up on consoles and publish games for the other two. Their consoles are always about a gimmick and it's a never a gimmick that I care about. Of course I say that but they don't really have any properties I particularly care for either so I don't know why I am posting in this thread. Bye!
My only problem with that is that Sega games have never been the same since they gave up the consoles. If Nintendo gave up consoles would they become a powerhouse developer?Maybe. Or maybe they would drift into irrelevance with their IP like Sega basically has.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

We have a Wii, and I picked my kids up a used WiiU a couple of years ago when I was sick as consolation (hah!) for having to cancel all of our summer plans (I just rerouted the summer budget into the Wii U.) My eldest still plays the Wii and Wii U on a regular basis, mostly due to an obsession with Fire Emblem and the Paper Mario titles.

The only title on the Wii U that's really caught my eye is Xenoblade Chronicles X. There have been a few others that looked interesting, but Nintendo seems to do really limited runs and then stop production of many of their games. That means that rather than dropping in price or having a healthy used market, they sell at full price, then jump up to scalper prices when they go out of print.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I haven't noticed that. For their big titles they are all almost $20 after a few years it seems. But I'll be honest I don't stray much from the mega titles.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yeah, there'll always be plenty of the latest Mario or Zelda.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

As much as I want to get my hands on one, I think I'm going to wait until Christmas and get one for the kids. They're still playing the heck out of the WiiU, so there is no rush for me to get the Switch short of my own selfish techno-greed. By that time the game library will be a bit more robust, supply should be fine, bundles will be available. We should also know by then what the reception is going to be like and if we're looking at a huge success or a meandering flop.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Smoove_B wrote:My 10 YO daughter still plays with an original Wii; we completely skipped the Wii U. I'm watching the Switch, but I've also learned that purchasing new consoles on release rarely seems to be a good idea.
Except for the Dreamcast. MAN that was a fantastic launch. I still fondly remember that console and the console launch that went along with it.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Blackhawk wrote:Yeah, there'll always be plenty of the latest Mario or Zelda.
Which is basically all I play on my Nintendo systems. I didn't know that was a problem with other games in their line. Interesting.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

My 8 year old with a birthday this March has decided the only thing in the world he wants is a Nintendo Switch. He's been all over me to pre-order one for him. The thing is, I hate pre-ordering anything, especially new consoles. Why should I pay more to basically beta-test a next gen console? As we've seen time and again, a refined, smaller, cheaper version is bound to come out a year or so after release. Also, there are always sales to be had post-release. So . . . I'm reluctant. But I will say that the Switch looks pretty enticing. We've been solidly XBOX for quite some time now, and we ditched the Wii right about when the XBOX Kinect came out and never went for the WiiU.

But, if I were inclined to pick one up, is the general consensus that pre-order is the only game in town (assuming I want to get one by 3/18), and if so, have I completely missed that boat?
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Kurth wrote:But, if I were inclined to pick one up, is the general consensus that pre-order is the only game in town (assuming I want to get one by 3/18), and if so, have I completely missed that boat?
Use this site to keep an eye on online preorders. Looks like Newegg and Walmart had preorders available recently on the 16th, and I remember shortly before that Amazon had it flickering on and off for availability.

Other than that, I've heard people say some Walmart brick & mortar stores have had preorders available in the past few days if you go there in person.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Kurth wrote:My 8 year old with a birthday this March has decided the only thing in the world he wants is a Nintendo Switch. He's been all over me to pre-order one for him. The thing is, I hate pre-ordering anything, especially new consoles. Why should I pay more to basically beta-test a next gen console? As we've seen time and again, a refined, smaller, cheaper version is bound to come out a year or so after release. Also, there are always sales to be had post-release. So . . . I'm reluctant. But I will say that the Switch looks pretty enticing. We've been solidly XBOX for quite some time now, and we ditched the Wii right about when the XBOX Kinect came out and never went for the WiiU.

But, if I were inclined to pick one up, is the general consensus that pre-order is the only game in town (assuming I want to get one by 3/18), and if so, have I completely missed that boat?
Yep at this point landing a pre-order let alone picking one up by chance at launch is going to be really hard. Nintendo in their infinite wisdom is doing a world wide launch with only 2 million consoles available. That's not a lot to go around. Expect shortages well into summer.
FTE
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

What I really want them to sell is stand alone docks. I can then set it up to dock in multiple rooms. Why aren't these available to preorder damnit?
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Kurth wrote:My 8 year old with a birthday this March has decided the only thing in the world he wants is a Nintendo Switch. He's been all over me to pre-order one for him. The thing is, I hate pre-ordering anything, especially new consoles. Why should I pay more to basically beta-test a next gen console? As we've seen time and again, a refined, smaller, cheaper version is bound to come out a year or so after release. Also, there are always sales to be had post-release. So . . . I'm reluctant. But I will say that the Switch looks pretty enticing. We've been solidly XBOX for quite some time now, and we ditched the Wii right about when the XBOX Kinect came out and never went for the WiiU.

Sometimes making an 8 year old's birthday wishes come true is more important than the logic of console launches that we debate in message boards. imho of course....

There's nothing more magical than a new console to a kid.
It's 34 bowl victories.

wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

msduncan wrote:What I really want them to sell is stand alone docks. I can then set it up to dock in multiple rooms. Why aren't these available to preorder damnit?
In case you hadn't heard, they're saying the dock is going to cost $90.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

wonderpug wrote:
msduncan wrote:What I really want them to sell is stand alone docks. I can then set it up to dock in multiple rooms. Why aren't these available to preorder damnit?
In case you hadn't heard, they're saying the dock is going to cost $90.
Wait - is this $90 if you want more than one dock or $90 to even get a dock when you buy the system? The former makes sense; the latter is just crazy.
Black Lives Matter