Nintendo Switch = NX

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

wonderpug

Re: Nintendo Switch = NX

Post by wonderpug »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
wonderpug wrote:
msduncan wrote:What I really want them to sell is stand alone docks. I can then set it up to dock in multiple rooms. Why aren't these available to preorder damnit?
In case you hadn't heard, they're saying the dock is going to cost $90.
Wait - is this $90 if you want more than one dock or $90 to even get a dock when you buy the system? The former makes sense; the latter is just crazy.
The Switch comes with a dock, and it's $90 for extra.

The price seems even more ridiculous than the high priced extra controllers, since early guesses are that the dock doesn't have much going on inside other than a cooling fan for the docked Switch.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, the acccessories are insane--especially the 'dock.' (Protip: it's literally a piece of plastic with a bit of wire routing. Nothing significant to it. *Maybe* worth $30?)

I want in on the Switch, but with no announced pack-in game and super-expensive accessories (namely extra controllers--$70 for a Pro controller, $80 per extra JoyCon pair) compared to the Wii, I'm balking a bit.

Cost for a Wii, Wii Sports, traditional controller and set of 4 Wii Remotes/Nunchuks: $250 + $0 + $20 + $60x3 = $450.
Cost for a Switch, game, Pro controller and set of 4 JoyCon: $300 + $40-$60 + $70 + $80x3 = $650-$670.

Not that I necessarily need a full set, but I know how this tends to go for me...
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The more I read, here and elsewhere, the more I think I prefer the Wii U.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Unfortunately, I think this will pretty much tank - probably comparable to the WII U (taking the success of the WII as a reference point.)

This article sums up the issues very well: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/n ... comments=1

Showing Skyrim (which is over 5y old) to help selling this new console shows that Nintendo has lost focus, IMO. Like one commenter posted: "I can't wait to buy a Switch so I can play Skyrim on my TV... again."
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

ChuckB wrote:Unfortunately, I think this will pretty much tank - probably comparable to the WII U (taking the success of the WII as a reference point.)

This article sums up the issues very well: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/n ... comments=1

Showing Skyrim (which is over 5y old) to help selling this new console shows that Nintendo has lost focus, IMO. Like one commenter posted: "I can't wait to buy a Switch so I can play Skyrim on my TV... again."
Skyrim is a weird choice. Fallout 4 would be much timelier, but maybe since it was developed for the PS4 and Xbone they didn't want to have to port it to a slower system. Which all by itself is a huge problem for the Switch. It is already less powerful than 2 year old consoles, so no one is going to want to port games to it. Every decent game on the system will be developed exclusively for the system, which I think helped kill the WiiU.
FTE
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

I still stand by the WiiU as being a good console that I don’t regret buying on day one. I think most of the negativity it received came about because of ignorance (part of that is on Nintendo) and bandwagoning.

The WiiU had/has more exclusives than either the XBONE or the PS4 and more of those games also run at 60FPS. Also, while very few games utilized the 2nd screen, the few that did actually offered unique play experiences that you really can’t get anywhere else.

All that said, the Switch so far has failed the biggest console test in my opinion. There are no games. I looked up the launch lineup the other day and I couldn’t believe that they are trying to coast on just Zelda for at least three months. The rest of the launch lineup consists of Snipperclips ($20, 2 player puzzle game), 1-2-Switch (should have been a free pack in) and a handful of 3rd party ports, many of which you can get cheaper right now on other systems.

I like Nintendo games. I want to see them do well but I consistently feel like they have no idea what they are doing.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Summer looks a little light for me with the currently announced release dates, but March and the rest of spring already have plenty to keep me busy. If the Switch was going to be my one and only console maybe I'd be more concerned about the release schedule, but as a complement to PC and Xbox/PS4 gaming it looks completely fine to me.

Is this opening year really that much weaker than the Wii or the GameCube's opening years? I'm looking back at their release calendars and I'm tempted to even say their opening years were weaker than the Switch's. I think it's easy to forget how many months Wii Sports alone was enough to keep people happy with their Wii libraries.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, we know that Blackhawk's son is covered with Fire Emblem.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote:Well, we know that Blackhawk's son is covered with Fire Emblem.
Luckily not until next autumn, so he'll have lots of time to save. Otherwise he'll wait until next Christmas when the buzz has settled down and the reviews have come in for the Switch.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Nintendo; 01/18/17
Nintendo surprised Fire Emblem fans today via a Nintendo Direct announcement with the news that multiple games from the hit strategy-RPG franchise are in development. These include a new game for smart devices, two games for Nintendo Switch and multiple games for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. There's no question that this is by far the most fiery, most emblematic Nintendo Direct ever.
Nintendo launches its next adventure when Fire Emblem Heroes arrives soon on mobile. ... Fire Emblem Heroes is an original strategy RPG about two warring kingdoms in a bitter clash.
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia: In 1992, the second game in the Fire Emblem series, Fire Emblem Gaiden, launched exclusively in Japan. Now, for the first time, fans outside of Japan will get a taste of this classic game on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia is inspired by the 1992 original, reimagined on a grander scale. Every aspect of the Fire Emblem Gaiden game’s presentation has been updated, along with the game being fully voiced. ... Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia will launch on the Nintendo 3DS family of systems May 19.
Fire Emblem meets KOEI TECMO GAMES’ Warriors series: Fire Emblem Warriors is coming to both the Nintendo Switch and New Nintendo 3DS systems, which includes New Nintendo 3DS and New Nintendo 3DS XL. It’s being developed by the team that created Hyrule Warriors, and is scheduled to launch this fall.

Fire Emblem is coming to Nintendo Switch: For the first time since Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn on the Wii console in 2007, a new mainline game in the series is being developed for a Nintendo home system, with the ability to also be played on the go! The new game is scheduled to launch in 2018.
Looks like the mobile game will drop on Feb 2nd.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

wonderpug wrote: Summer looks a little light for me with the currently announced release dates, but March and the rest of spring already have plenty to keep me busy.
I’m actually curious what in the lineup looks compelling if you play games on other systems.
That graphic has a lot of fluff but not much exclusive.

March
Zelda
Super Bomberman R
Snipperclips
FAST RMX (is this new or a port of Neo?)

April
MarioKart 8 Deluxe (Basically a port)

Spring
Arms

Summer
Splatoon 2

Autumn
Fire Emblem Warriors

Holiday
Mario Odyssey
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Lordnine wrote:
wonderpug wrote: Summer looks a little light for me with the currently announced release dates, but March and the rest of spring already have plenty to keep me busy.
I’m actually curious what in the lineup looks compelling if you play games on other systems.
That graphic has a lot of fluff but not much exclusive.
Launch and Spring
  • Zelda
  • Super Bomberman R
  • Snipperclips
  • Fast RMX
  • 1-2 Switch (overpriced, but should be good for my kids, demoing the Switch, and parties
  • MarioKart 8 Deluxe (A port, but new to me)
  • Arms - actually starting to look pretty awesome the more I read about impressions
  • Puyo Puyo Tetris - getting great early impressions
  • Lego City Undercover - never had a Wii U so new to me, and my kids should love it
Summer
  • Splatoon 2
Autumn
  • Fire Emblem Warriors
Holiday
  • Mario Odyssey
Someday
  • Octopath Traveler - this looks incredible
  • Xenoblade
  • Stardew Valley (already have it on Steam but I'd love it as a portable title)
  • Pokemon, as long as it turns out to be more than an Arena game
  • No More Heroes sequel

Summer to the end of the year definitely looks dry at the moment, but I think that's because so many titles still don't have release dates. If the launch schedule doesn't get fleshed out more for the second half of the year, and/or if a bunch more gets targetted for 2018, I'll probably change my tune a bit.

When I find some time I'll look back at the first 12 months of Gamecube and Wii releases. I don't remember there being a ton, but maybe I'm just forgetting things.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Just an FYI, Lego City Undercover is going multi-platform. Since the touchscreen stuff wont work for the Switch, it's probably best to wait on which console has the best version.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

I'd still be going with the Switch version even if it was worse than the other consoles. My Switch is most likely going to become the kiddo entertainment of choice for long car rides or plane rides.

Oh wait-- I guess you wouldn't be allowed to separate the Joycons from the system during air travel since they'd use wireless communication? I had been hoping I could put the Switch in kickstand mode and do splitscreen Mario Kart or whatever on a plane. Ah well.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote:Nintendo; 01/18/17
Nintendo surprised Fire Emblem fans today via a Nintendo Direct announcement with the news that multiple games from the hit strategy-RPG franchise are in development.
This pretty much guarantees that we'll own a Switch at some point. It is just a question of whether it will be a next Christmas when I budget for a single large present, or much sooner when they buy it themselves. One quirk about having an autistic kid is that he tends to focus one big interest - and right now that's Fire Emblem. That means that he doesn't spend his money on much of anything else, and his allowance builds up.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

wonderpug wrote:
Oh wait-- I guess you wouldn't be allowed to separate the Joycons from the system during air travel since they'd use wireless communication? I had been hoping I could put the Switch in kickstand mode and do splitscreen Mario Kart or whatever on a plane. Ah well.
Not a problem once you are in the air.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Animal Crossing is going to be out there at some point. People expected an announcement by now but none came with the Switch presser.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

If any of you want to preorder a Pro Controller, they just went up for sale on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAWKYZ0/

edit: holy crap, they sold out in about 20 minutes
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Dang. I actually do want a pro controller but I guess I'll wait
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Chrisoc13 wrote:Dang. I actually do want a pro controller but I guess I'll wait
A lot of people have been recommending preordering at the Japanese Amazon, where it's still available for preorder. Only takes 3-4 days to ship to the US, and even comes out cheaper than the US preorder.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

I'm really rethinking my Switch pre-order for Zelda. We have the WiiU and I'm starting to think Zelda with that controller will be a better experience than on the Switch.

The only other game in the pipeline that interests us at all is Splatoon2 and that's not due out until summer. I may wind up re-selling the Switch and waiting for a price drop and more games.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I'm in the same boat. I keep going back and forth on it. I know I'm playing Zelda in March, the question is which system will be running it on.

The next game that interests me on the switch is Mario so... That's not coming any time soon. I could probably pick up a system then for it.
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

We've been steady Nintendo consumers since the Gamecube (plus the NES I had back in the day) but I honestly think we'll be waiting to see if a bundle comes out for the holidays or shortly thereafter.

Very few titles on that list are of interest and the top priority for us (Zelda) we'll get for the WiiU.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

You guys are only skeptical because you haven't seen the latest Switch trailer from Germany, showing how it's really going to be used.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

wonderpug wrote:You guys are only skeptical because you haven't seen the latest Switch trailer from Germany, showing how it's really going to be used.
They're taking texting in class to a new level.
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Best Buy preorders just went up

GameStop sold out of standalone Pro Controllers but you can still get one in this Zelda bundle
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Why does Nintendo remain terrible at supply chain management? It's 2017 ffs, and we're tracking minutes' long supply windows across a bunch of retailers well before release.

At a certain point, it begins to look like artificial hype generation.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

All those concert ticket bots had to have something to do.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I dunno. Nintendo's business model has always confused the hell out of me. I have no idea why they do half of what they do.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Zaxxon wrote:Why does Nintendo remain terrible at supply chain management? It's 2017 ffs, and we're tracking minutes' long supply windows across a bunch of retailers well before release.

At a certain point, it begins to look like artificial hype generation.
Artificial? It's very intentional. (See Apple.)
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Intentional, yes, but unlike Apple I have no idea what their goal is. They often limit distribution of products so much that they are completely unavailable throughout their life cycle. They're usually not like that with actual systems, but they do it with games and accessories all the time.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

wonderpug wrote:
Best Buy preorders just went up

GameStop sold out of standalone Pro Controllers but you can still get one in this Zelda bundle
Available on GameStop again
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

For those with a Switch console on pre-order that may be rethinking whether they want it, I've got an 8 year old with a 3/18 birthday who would love to have me take it off your hands! Feel free to PM me! :)
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Blackhawk wrote:Intentional, yes, but unlike Apple I have no idea what their goal is. They often limit distribution of products so much that they are completely unavailable throughout their life cycle. They're usually not like that with actual systems, but they do it with games and accessories all the time.
This. If it's intentional, it's dumb. Apple may limit things artificially while steamrolling everyone around as they rake in all the industry's profits. Nintendo... Makes things difficult for consumers while being a mediocre player from a profit perspective.

They're doing it wrong.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:violin: There Will be a Free Splatoon 2 Trial For All Switch Owners in March

If you pick up a Nintendo Switch before March 24, you'll be treated to a free demo of Splatoon 2.

The Nintendo Switch will launch on March 3, 2017, and although it's launch lineup is a little bare, Nintendo have just announced a tantalizing little treat for early adopters: an exclusive first-look free trial of Splatoon 2.

The trial will take place in the form of a "global testfire", which will allow all Switch owners to play the game from March 24 to 26. The catch is that you can only play in specific, one-hour increments. Here's the schedule:
March 24
12-12:59 p.m. PT / 3-3:59 p.m. ET
8-8:59 p.m. PT / 11-11:59 p.m. ET

March 25
4-4:59 a.m. PT / 7-7:59 a.m. ET
12-12:59 p.m. PT / 3-3:59 p.m. ET
8-8:59 p.m. PT / 11-11:59 p.m. ET

March 26
4-4:59 a.m. PT / 7-7:59 a.m. ET
Nintendo said the preview will allow players to test four weapons, among them remixed versions of the Splat Roller and Splat Charger and the new Splat Dualies. The game launches "in summer" so this is a considerably early preview.

testing their servers and matchmaking is all fine and dandy .. but this reeks of disaster and frustration
Ain't nobody got time for that
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Well it is Nintendo and doing something online...
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

a demo of a beta?! And it's FREE?! Madness.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I just want to buy one. Why's it got to be so difficult? Come on, Nintendo. :x
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Kurth wrote:I just want to buy one. Why's it got to be so difficult? Come on, Nintendo. :x
Do you visit the NeoGAF forums at all? There have been a number of people their changing their mind on their preorders and offering them for sale to other forumers without big crazy markups.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles