Tom Clancy's The Division

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Tom Clancy's The Division

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote:Im a little stuck now. I really could use better weps but dotn want to buy one. I have a SCAR that is semi auto and has a damage rating of around 23,000. Its nice but I need a good full auto. My alt is a full auto but its rating is just 11,000. Im dying a lot. I also need more materials to upgrade base. Im in a hard as hell 18-21 zone I think and Im like 21.

As my skills I usually use a turret and a health/revive pack. Love them both. BUT Im testing a homing bomb now which I also love but it takes the place of one of those. For now its my turret but man Im missing that turret. I have noticed the boss guys just go up to my turret and kick it lol. Testing it with fire and electrical.
If you're dealing with a boss that curb-stomps your turret, look for places to deploy it that are out of reach for the boss (on top of a fence or a truck, for example).
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
ydejin

Post by ydejin »

Daehawk wrote: As my skills I usually use a turret and a health/revive pack. Love them both. BUT Im testing a homing bomb now which I also love but it takes the place of one of those. For now its my turret but man Im missing that turret. I have noticed the boss guys just go up to my turret and kick it lol. Testing it with fire and electrical.
I felt like the skills didn't give as much variety as I would have liked because you always need that healing pack. Sometimes, particularly in a group, one of us would swap out healing pack for the healing station -- I personally liked dropping a healing station right before pickup in the Dark Zone. But in general one of the two skills is going to be some kind of healing.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

ydejin wrote:
Daehawk wrote: As my skills I usually use a turret and a health/revive pack. Love them both. BUT Im testing a homing bomb now which I also love but it takes the place of one of those. For now its my turret but man Im missing that turret. I have noticed the boss guys just go up to my turret and kick it lol. Testing it with fire and electrical.
I felt like the skills didn't give as much variety as I would have liked because you always need that healing pack. Sometimes, particularly in a group, one of us would swap out healing pack for the healing station -- I personally liked dropping a healing station right before pickup in the Dark Zone. But in general one of the two skills is going to be some kind of healing.
Not necessarily. For PvE, my default skill set is turret w/pulse and seeker mine w/airburst, and I get my basic healing from med kits, my gear set (4-piece Path of the Nomad) and weapon talents. In a crunch, I can always hunker down in cover and swap out skills during combat if I absolutely need the additional healing from First Aid or Support Station.

For DZ PvP, I... just don't bother. ;)

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Can't remember my exact load-out, but don't think I ever removed the turret from my kit. I loved it too much...
And yeah, I always tried placing the turret in out of way places.
I did solo PVE the entire story line as well.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I tried the flame turret...nice fun but the range was awful. Think Ill try the electrical turret. At least until I can mod my rolly bombs.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote:I tried the flame turret...nice fun but the range was awful. Think Ill try the electrical turret. At least until I can mod my rolly bombs.
The flame mod is great when you are able to use it to create a choke point. A good example is the penultimate stage of the Madison Garden mission, where you have to defend the medical staff in the restaurant. I drop the flame turret in the hall where the mobs enter, and while they're distracted by being on fire, I can gun them down without taking any return fire. About the only time I've used the zapper was back in the early days, when I was still doing DZ runs to get better gear than dropped in the PvE zones. Dropping a zapper turret at the extraction point helped deal with any mobs/rogues that ran up to attack at close range while hooking the lootbag to the rope. For the most part, I just use the active sensor mod to get the best damage/range.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Having trouble getting going in this one. I did the first 2 area missions and a couple of encounters to get myself to lvl 4, but I can't solo the Police Precinct mission, and while I've tried the Autogroup function on it, I haven't been able to complete it with random strangers (though I did get further than I did soloing the few times I tried it.

What are my alternatives to that mission, or do I pretty much need to complete it to open up more content?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Pyperkub wrote:Having trouble getting going in this one. I did the first 2 area missions and a couple of encounters to get myself to lvl 4, but I can't solo the Police Precinct mission, and while I've tried the Autogroup function on it, I haven't been able to complete it with random strangers (though I did get further than I did soloing the few times I tried it.

What are my alternatives to that mission, or do I pretty much need to complete it to open up more content?
If you're talking about the final mission in the introduction (i.e. you haven't flown into Manhattan yet), then you do need to complete it in order to move on (as far as I know). Is there a particular thing that's giving you trouble?

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yes it has to be completed. All I can say is take your time. Use grenades. Heal. Cover cover cover. Theres only so many per area so dont rush in and dont try to run past and area. Be patient.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Has the leveling been made harder since release? It seemed like everything was trivial back in my day. :insert old guy with cane emoticon here:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

Not really. The update is almost 100% concerned with improving gameplay/leveling once you reach the level cap of 30.

It changes up the way your gear level effects your gameplay by allowing you to bump up difficulty once you reach a set "gear level" on top of the level cap.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

Pyperkub wrote:Having trouble getting going in this one. I did the first 2 area missions and a couple of encounters to get myself to lvl 4, but I can't solo the Police Precinct mission, and while I've tried the Autogroup function on it, I haven't been able to complete it with random strangers (though I did get further than I did soloing the few times I tried it.

There's no alternative, you have to figure out how to finish it. I too was totally unprepared for the absolute WTF toughness/bullet spongeocity of the mission end boss fights in this game. You basically have to do what Daehawk says, use cover as much as possible, don't let shotgunners (or flamethrowers - which have much greater range than you would think!) get close.

Also, time your return fire. A lot of the enemies with MGs will open up on you for a few seconds, for longer than you think they should. Wait for them to stop and reload before you shoot back! Even if you're in cover if you peek out a little bit to aim shoot while they're also firing you'll get hit hard.

P.S. Same advice goes for snipers, wait until their scopes stop shining and then make your move. Don't be fooled by pauses between their shots. Wait for the glow to go, Leroy!
Last edited by killbot737 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no hug button. Sad!
morlac

Post by morlac »

Yep, first boss in tutorial is a rude awakening. Griff and I struggled with it on Monday night. Patience, cover, and explosives are your friend. Also, use the NPC's to draw attention and eat bullets. They will follow you forward but generally don't retreat...hint hint. They don't mind, I promise.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

If you keep having problems with that mission, feel free to message me if I'm on Steam. It wouldn't take long to start a new character and help you with it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah, I am wanting to start a new character just because I don't remember this. If I am online I can help as well. I am coopasonic on every platform.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Also once you get far enough it wont start you back at the beginning either it will start you back further in. So a little at a time.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Dev blog for update 1.6.

Yay, it's a content update for the Dark Zone. And PvE mission modes that are even harder than incursions. And some fiddling with various systems and stuff.

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Sepiche wrote:If you keep having problems with that mission, feel free to message me if I'm on Steam. It wouldn't take long to start a new character and help you with it.
I'm playing on xBox 1, but thanks!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

killbot737 wrote:

There's no alternative, you have to figure out how to finish it. I too was totally unprepared for the absolute WTF toughness/bullet spongeocity of the mission end boss fights in this game. You basically have to do what Daehawk says, use cover as much as possible, don't let shotgunners (or flamethrowers - which have much greater range than you would think!) get close.

Also, time your return fire. A lot of the enemies with MGs will open up on you for a few seconds, for longer than you think they should. Wait for them to stop and reload before you shoot back! Even if you're in cover if you peek out a little bit to aim shoot while they're also firing you'll get hit hard.

P.S. Same advice goes for snipers, wait until their scopes stop shining and then make your move. Don't be fooled by pauses between their shots. Wait for the glow to go, Leroy!
I think figuring out the grenade mechanics will help me:
Grenades are typically as simple as they come with being tied to the bumper or trigger buttons, but in The Division they are a little more complicated and confusing...

...By holding down left on the d-pad, a selection wheel will pop up that lets you switch between grenade types. You can choose the one you want with the right analog stick and you would assume that would then let you use it right then and there. However, that is not quite how it works.

Instead, after choosing the type of grenade you want to use, you need to just hit left on the d-pad one time, rather than holding it as before. By just pressing left on the d-pad, an orange trajectory line will show up that you can then aim with to throw the grenade.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

In a small stuck place again. The zone I left was too easy. The zone Im in is my lvl but the guys on the street are kickin my butt. Im at one of those places where I just have to keep trying and lvl a little bit to make it work right again.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Daehawk wrote:In a small stuck place again. The zone I left was too easy. The zone Im in is my lvl but the guys on the street are kickin my butt. Im at one of those places where I just have to keep trying and lvl a little bit to make it work right again.
Are you clearing all the side quests and encounters? If you do that (and keep your weapons/gear reasonably updated) you should be outlevelling the neighbourhoods as you progress through them.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

i was but got really burnt out doing them and the last two zones Ive only done the side missions and left encounters and phones and stuff. It was either that or quit entirely.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Well, at least you know why you're underpowered for the current neighbourhood then. :)

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Trying to build myself a purple AUG and Im realizing just how few weapon parts stores there are. I need 2 more blue parts and all I keep finding are greens hahaha. Im going to every store I see.

The AUG isn't that great damage wise compared to my SCAR and another police type I have but they are single shot and I need an auto for an alt..or a main. Thought about shotgun but have decided to wait a while on that and when ready make or buy a nice autoloader shotty.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Testing the homing mine. Really liking it. Ive found the air exploder to be really fun. Im missing my turret though. Id have to drop my health stuff to use both....which sucks. health should not take a use slot up. As for turrets I like the extended range and the flame turret.

EDIT: BTW I never eat or drink anything. Is there any reason to? I just keep it all to give to strangers that are in need and get a free item from them in return...usually appearance stuff but sometimes weapons.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Daehawk wrote:Trying to build myself a purple AUG and Im realizing just how few weapon parts stores there are. I need 2 more blue parts and all I keep finding are greens hahaha.
You know you can go to the crafting station and convert greens to blues (and blues to gold), right?

I forget the ratio off the top of my head but you can turn something like five greens into a blue. So, if you only need two blue gun parts and you have ten, just convert them and there you go.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Brian wrote:
Daehawk wrote:Trying to build myself a purple AUG and Im realizing just how few weapon parts stores there are. I need 2 more blue parts and all I keep finding are greens hahaha.
You know you can go to the crafting station and convert greens to blues (and blues to gold), right?

I forget the ratio off the top of my head but you can turn something like five greens into a blue. So, if you only need two blue gun parts and you have ten, just convert them and there you go.
IIRC, the ratio is 10:1.
Daehawk wrote:BTW I never eat or drink anything. Is there any reason to? I just keep it all to give to strangers that are in need and get a free item from them in return...usually appearance stuff but sometimes weapons.
  • Water - buff that increases your damage output;
  • Soda - buff that reduces skill cooldowns;
  • Canned food - buff that improves healing;
  • Energy bar - removes debuffs;

Brian

Post by Brian »

From The Division Zone:
Material Conversion blueprints allow you to create a new material by spending 5 of a certain quality to get the next higher one (e.g. 5 Specialized Weapon Parts for 1 Superior Weapon Parts).
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Brian wrote:From The Division Zone:
Material Conversion blueprints allow you to create a new material by spending 5 of a certain quality to get the next higher one (e.g. 5 Specialized Weapon Parts for 1 Superior Weapon Parts).
I believe that 5:1 was the ratio at launch, but one of the post-launch patches changed it as part of their decision to de-emphasize crafting in favour of chasing loot drops.

In-game, I'm seeing 10xGreen => 1xBlue and 15xBlue => 1xGold.

Brian

Post by Brian »

Well that makes sense then.

I'm out of town so can't fire up the game to confirm.

Either way, since I almost never actually buy anything from the vendors, I scrap pretty much everything I pick up if I'm not going to use it. Also, I tend to pick up everything that drops. Even the greys will yield green materials when scrapped so I tend to be swimming in material.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

In the early game I generally pick up everthing that drops, sell enough to be able to afford a good weapon if I find one on a vendor and then scrap everything else. I don't usually craft anything because given how quickly you outlevel gear (if you're not actively avoiding the content ;)) it is generally not worth the effort unless you happen to have a particularly nice blueprint and all of the required resources. Building up a supply of low-level crafting resources helps when you hit the level cap so that you can knock out the daily crafting missions if they require crafting items or upgrading resources.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya turned them into 3..i think they were 10 green each...but was those 3 short.
Water - buff that increases your damage output;
Soda - buff that reduces skill cooldowns;
Canned food - buff that improves healing;
Energy bar - removes debuffs;
Wow..ok thank you. Have to remember my water it seems.

And Ive sold everything and usually never have much money. I had about 80k last night and spent almost all replacing armors that I hadn't looted yet with better ones. I may start scrapping everything for a while unless its worth over 1k.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

killbot737 wrote:

Got through it and the establish base in Manhattan mission. Figuring out how to use grenades helped, though avoiding them is still a pain when I'm in cover, I keep pressing the wrong buttons to roll/dive/move out of the circle. Now I need to get familiar with healing myself.

IMHO, the controls are really non-intuitive, and the game does a wretched job of explaining them to the player (unless somehow I missed a tutorial section? ).

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Starting to hate killing 3 waves of 5 guys each only to be killed by the last guy and starting back at the closest safe house lol.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Look who I found on a rooftop...

Enlarge Image
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Brian wrote:Look who I found on a rooftop...

Enlarge Image
Yup, that is pretty cool. :)

KDH

Post by KDH »

:coffee: The Division – Last Stand DLC and Free Trial Available Now
It’s a big day for The Division, as both the Last Stand DLC and Update 1.6 have arrived to give agents a slew of new challenges to confront in disaster-struck New York City. Last Stand is the third expansion for The Division, and introduces a new 8v8 competitive game mode as well as a new Incursion. Update 1.6 is a free update for all players that unlocks new areas of the Dark Zone, adds new missions and weapons, and brings a host of balancing updates to PvE and PvP combat.
Image <---- 1:41m
If you have yet to explore the dangerous streets of The Division, you can now do so for free, courtesy of a free trial now available on Xbox One, PS4, and PC. The trial gives you access to the full game for six hours of play, or until you earn enough experience to hit level 8. All progress you make in the free trial will transfer over if you decide to purchase the full game.
Ain't nobody got time for that
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Free weekend if anyone is interested in trying it. I'll be around so if you want to group up just send me an invite.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Something came up and I was unable to play, although I did download and install the entire 46 gigs.

Thanks to those who sent me friend requests. Maybe another time.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I bought it this time around. Have only wandered around on easy side missions thus far, but already better than I was the last time I played this. I'm also liking how I can play a couple mission/encounters and stop. Fun thus far. Will have to get a good amount of time in though for me to feel like I've gotten my money's worth, as the price tag was higher than I normally spend these days. We will see.