Thread for 'Alt-Facts'

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Thread for 'Alt-Facts'

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Now that we are in the age of Trump, where obvious lies are apparently going to be the norm, I thought I would keep a running list, to keep the fires of hate burning. :P

If you haven't seen the disgraceful exchange where KellyAnn Conway references "alternative facts" regarding the number of people that showed up at the inauguration, I suggest you do so. Chuck Todd, a Republican talking head who was absolutely GIDDY election night as he realized Trump was going to win, gave it to her, and for that I salute him at least.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ ... facts.html

The scary thing is, she threatens him with "access" if he "continues to disparage the press secretary in that way. To anyone that voted for this clown, I say "kiss my ass".

So:

1. Trump's inauguration drew the largest inauguration crowd in history
2. Most American's don't care about Trump's tax returns
3. There has been a dramatic expansion of the federal workforce in recent years
4. Trump lost the popular vote because millions of unauthorized immigrants illegally voted for Clinton
5. Won the electoral college votes by a "massive landslide victory"
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Skinypupy

Re: Thread for 'Alternative Facts'

Post by Skinypupy »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Chuck Todd, a Republican talking head who was absolutely GIDDY election night as he realized Trump was going to win, gave it to her, and for that I salute him at least.
Wait...what?
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Chris Wallace of FOX also went after Priebus on this:

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/w ... wd-n710466
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Skinypupy wrote:
Carpet_pissr wrote:Chuck Todd, a Republican talking head who was absolutely GIDDY election night as he realized Trump was going to win, gave it to her, and for that I salute him at least.
Wait...what?
I guess Carpet_pissr had to start a threat about alternative facts with an alternative fact!
Hodor.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Yeah - that one's a head scratcher. Maybe Carpet_pissr is just trying to keep us on our toes; alternative facts could be anywhere!
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Todd was excited.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
tgb

Post by tgb »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Chuck Todd, [insert alternative fact here], gave it to her, and for that I salute him at least.
He could have been stronger. He should have called them lies instead of "falsehoods", which is way too polite in dealing with Blondie Goebbels
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
geezer

Post by geezer »

2: Trump now admits that's he won't release tax returns. Conway says it's because "people don't care." (74% of people in WAPO /ABC poll DO care.)
tgb

Post by tgb »

I hope you guys realize that Rip is going to pwn this thread.
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

geezer wrote:2: Trump now admits that's he won't release tax returns. Conway says it's because "people don't care." (74% of people in WAPO /ABC poll DO care.)
Doubleplus altfact: Failing fake news pushers WaPo/ABC publish phony polls. Realmericans know better.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Rip

Post by Rip »

Stocks soared higher Friday on enthusiasm over Trump inauguration.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Rip wrote:Stocks soared higher Friday on enthusiasm over Trump inauguration.
But when it falls, will you bring that up too?
Covfefe!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

+0.48% is soaring? :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:
Rip wrote:Stocks soared higher Friday on enthusiasm over Trump inauguration.
But when it falls, will you bring that up too?
Sure, but when it does it will be because of something the Democrats did.

:dance:
Rip

Post by Rip »

RunningMn9 wrote:+0.48% is soaring? :)
Yep, through the stratosphere.

https://vimeo.com/103908325
Holman

Post by Holman »

RunningMn9 wrote:+0.48% is soaring? :)
Alternative soaring.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

Well, I'm not surprised that the stock market is up, since Trump is mostly going to be working for investors.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Skinypupy wrote:
Wait...what?
I have watched Chuck Todd for years (not much in the past several though), and always thought he was pretty unbiased about his leanings, but after the election results were mostly over (after the video that Izzy posted), he did a behind the desk deal with a few other people and he was definitely showing his colors. And it wasn't excitement about a crazy election night because he's a numbers geek (which he is).

I was watching the whole thing live, and I stand by my word "giddy" about the Trump win. As always, I am completely open to alternative facts about his position, however. :P As long as you can back up your position with feelings or emotion, that is. Actual facts are right out.

I don't really care what his political leanings are, but it was nice to see someone (even some at Fox News!) at least raise some eyebrows at the BS that the head douche is trying to throw out now that he is officially (gulp) President. Oh God that hurt to write.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

geezer wrote:2: Trump now admits that's he won't release tax returns. Conway says it's because "people don't care." (74% of people in WAPO /ABC poll DO care.)
Oooh, nice one! I'm adding that to the list!
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I'm ardently anti-Trump and entrenched in the left on the majority of topics, but I'm concerned the left is blowing this out of proportion in a way that lends itself to needless divisiveness.

"Alternative facts" is a marvelously Orwellian soundbite when taken to mean "different truths". But without going back and watching the interview again, I feel that it was meant more as a synonym for "counterpoints". The majority of which, yes, have been determined to be false in this case. But that doesn't change the way in which the vocabulary was most likely intended.

It's scummy enough to defend ignoring relevant questions and spreading falsehoods, certainly. (I'm sure there's a contingent that does believe in the concept of alternative facts in the Orwellian sense. And, it was a tremendous flub for Conway to use a term that could be construed that way.) But I feel this has become an illegitimate liberal call to arms that will only serve to further polarize sensible people.

This administration deserves to be skewered. But it's extremely important to be on solid footing when doing so.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
tgb

Post by tgb »

It occurs to me (and I hate myself for posting this) but the Cheeto Bandito may be smarter than we give him credit for. After all, what's the biggest story in the media right now?
Spoiler:
It ain't the demonstrations yesterday.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

tgb wrote:It occurs to me (and I hate myself for posting this) but the Cheeto Bandito may be smarter than we give him credit for. After all, what's the biggest story in the media right now?
Spoiler:
It ain't the demonstrations yesterday.
I like Nerdwriter's breakdown on that one. Even if Trump isn't conscious of it, someone in his cadre is, and exploits it for all it's worth. Something directly out of the propagandist's handbook, to be sure.
Last edited by Sudy on Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You're going to need a bigger thread.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Sudy Nym wrote:I'm ardently anti-Trump and entrenched in the left on the majority of topics, but I'm concerned the left is blowing this out of proportion in a way that lends itself to needless divisiveness.

"Alternative facts" is a marvelously Orwellian soundbite when taken to mean "different truths". But without going back and watching the interview again, I feel that it was meant more as a synonym for "counterpoints". The majority of which, yes, have been determined to be false in this case. But that doesn't change the way in which the vocabulary was most likely intended.

It's scummy enough to defend ignoring relevant questions and spreading falsehoods, certainly. (I'm sure there's a contingent that does believe in the concept of alternative facts in the Orwellian sense. And, it was a tremendous flub for Conway to use a term that could be construed that way.) But I feel this has become an illegitimate liberal call to arms that will only serve to further polarize sensible people.

This administration deserves to be skewered. But it's extremely important to be on solid footing when doing so.
I watched the whole interview, and again stand by my assertion that it's terrible, was meant the way it came across and most importantly, needs to be called out and mocked mercilessly, whether it does any actual good or no. Especially considering the history and demeanor of previous tweets, communiques, speeches, etc by Trump and his minions. If the comment was made in a vacuum, fine, a gaffe, but you have to use context, and we have plenty to back up that she meant exactly what she said.

Hell, there are at least 3 or 4 quotes where Il Douche himself or someone high in his circle has stated outright or strongly implied that facts are irrelevant. Please don't make me find them, but I will if you insist.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

No, it's OK. I just don't find this specific instance to be the soundest footing on which to base a revolution. Cumulatively, sure. I guess if it continues to energize opposition and dissent it's not a bad thing. But at this point it's people on the other side who are in the direst need of convincing, and this kind of pile-on has the tendency to just drive them further away.

Defiant

Post by Defiant »

This thread:

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy Nym wrote:I'm ardently anti-Trump and entrenched in the left on the majority of topics, but I'm concerned the left is blowing this out of proportion in a way that lends itself to needless divisiveness.

I'm from the other perspective. I want things to be positive. I want to find excuses to give the administration the benefit of the doubt, but "alternative facts" seemed like a way to justify a flat out lie, a way to push cognitive dissonance that the administration may do no wrong by virtue of being the administration.
I just don't find this specific instance to be the soundest footing on which to base a revolution. Cumulatively, sure. I guess if it continues to energize opposition and dissent it's not a bad thing. But at this point it's people on the other side who are in the direst need of convincing, and this kind of pile-on has the tendency to just drive them further away.
Form me it's another reason be vigilant not the cause for revolution.

I concur with the weighing what to be OUTRAGED about. It's not OUTRAGE worthy but it is something to make you say "back up the bus".
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Sudy Nym wrote:No, it's OK. I just don't find this specific instance to be the soundest footing on which to base a revolution. Cumulatively, sure. I guess if it continues to energize opposition and dissent it's not a bad thing. But at this point it's people on the other side who are in the direst need of convincing, and this kind of pile-on has the tendency to just drive them further away.
The problem is, a year ago you might have been correct, but it is an open and admitted coherent strategy now. It's been used since time immemorium.
In the past it was hidden: drugs, civil rights, tobacco, black lung disease, car pollution, toxic dumping, aids, Iraq.....

But now with the omnipresence of Internet search there's no hiding. So instead of those( In the know) banking on people not being able to spend massive resources researching, they are banking on the fact that people are just gullible. And with centrists, feeling open blatant lying is anathema to a normal person, we're left with journalists couching their incredulity with" well, that is an alleged falsehood" rather than "get the fuck off my screen until you can actually say something that isn't demonstrably false." Because we're stuck with the idea that the downlow lying for public good somehow applies in the modern tweet era. And those in power figured out a long time ago that they can rely on the decency of others to spread propoganda.
Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh Good Lord, I hadn't come across this earlier, but apparently Trump is trying to say his very presence can control the weather.
Mr. Trump said that though he had been “hit by a couple of drops” of rain as he began his address on Inauguration Day, the sky soon cleared. “And the truth is, it stopped immediately, and then became sunny,” he said. “And I walked off, and it poured after I left. It poured.”
All of this is easily disproven by watching the video of the event.

:lol:

:?

:cry:
Covfefe!
Rip

Post by Rip »

hepcat wrote:Oh Good Lord, I hadn't come across this earlier, but apparently Trump is trying to say his very presence can control the weather.
Mr. Trump said that though he had been “hit by a couple of drops” of rain as he began his address on Inauguration Day, the sky soon cleared. “And the truth is, it stopped immediately, and then became sunny,” he said. “And I walked off, and it poured after I left. It poured.”
All of this is easily disproven by watching the video of the event.

:?

:cry:
No he implied god controlled, he is only god's muse.

:ninja:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I think you mean representative. I doubt Trump's face inspires God to create.
Covfefe!
Holman

Post by Holman »

It's just like the miracle of the loaves and fishes, except he turns 250k into 1.5 million.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Rip wrote:No he implied god controlled, he is only god's muse.

:ninja:
Trump should stop pissing off God for those living in Georgia, Alabama and Florida. The coasts are about to get hit by major storms, too.

Claim the power, claim the responsibility.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Chaz wrote:Well, I'm not surprised that the stock market is up, since Trump is mostly going to be working for investors.
It's a safe bet that rich people are going to get fabulously richer -- but that's a pretty safe bet under any administration. Fidelity tells me that my IRA went up 9% last year. Thanks, Obama! Beat that, Trump!
Sudy Nym wrote: But I feel this has become an illegitimate liberal call to arms that will only serve to further polarize sensible people.

One journalist's opinion
Ari Fleischer, a former George W. Bush press secretary, saw Saturday’s bizarre session for what it was.

“This is called a statement you’re told to make by the President. And you know the President is watching,” Fleischer wrote. (MSNBC’s Mika Brzezinski pegged it as “Sean Spicer’s first hostage video.”)

White House press briefings are “access journalism,” in which official statements — achieved by closeness to the source — are taken at face value and breathlessly reported as news. And that is over. Dead.

Spicer’s statement should be seen for what it is: Remarks made over the casket at the funeral of access journalism.
Trump has put the Washington press corps on notice that they will be given nothing of substance going forward. This WH will not merely try to put a favorable spin on news -- this is the WH making up its own alternative news.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

NYT has a small list.

Some more innaugeration gems:
Public transit ridership was higher
Grass covering had never been used before.
Metal detectors had never been used before.
Long lines from metal detectors kept people out.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Enlarge Image
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Love it.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Sudy Nym wrote:"Alternative facts" is a marvelously Orwellian soundbite when taken to mean "different truths". But without going back and watching the interview again, I feel that it was meant more as a synonym for "counterpoints". The majority of which, yes, have been determined to be false in this case. But that doesn't change the way in which the vocabulary was most likely intended.
The way it's intended and the way it's used are even Alternative Facts here. The White House press statement wasn't a different version of the same truth, it was flatly contradictory to the real truth. It's not a gray area you can fart around in. If the new lingo for "Nazi" is "Alt-Right", we should still call them Nazis. If the new lingo for "Lies" is "Alternative Facts" we should still call them lies.

As an example, the Octopus Overlords seems to be a forum populated by a group of vocal liberals and moderates with a few conservative voices mixed in. The alternate fact (as used by the White House) is that this is a forum run by a majority of outspoken hard-line conservatives that keep the liberals in check.

I fell asleep last night alternating between (literally) giggling at how insane this was, and being horrified that they're getting away with it. I hope the list in the first post continues to grow and never stops getting updated. You may want to include a date/time and maybe a story link with each. We've got (anywhere from 1 month to 8 years) of logging falsehoods to look forward to.

The press should boycott future White House press releases and just send interns with iPhones to record the event. I know they won't, but it would be delightful.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.