Need to replace headphone/headset on PC

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Need to replace headphone/headset on PC

Post by Kasey Chang »

I have a problem with my Plantronics Gamecom 780. The USB cuts out after playing about 15 minutes. It justs goes to mute after X minutes. I've experienced this both in Youtube AND games, and it's not a port-timeout issue, as the PC never went to sleep. I tried updating the drivers but it's not doing anything to help. Sometimes it works fine, at other times it just goes to nothing. It's random.

So I want a replacement. I want an overhead on-ear, preferably NOT USB this time (my laptop has a decent Realtek soundcard built-in) and I don't need the fancy-shmancy RGB, 7.1, whatever. It's primarily for gaming, though I'd like a microphone, but it's not really like required.

Right now I'm THINKING about a nice big Audio Technica ATH-AD900X (which is $135 on Amazon) and maybe with the Antlion Modmic attachment (which is like $50) though I may consider downgrading to ATH-AD500X (about $70) or 700X (about $100) as they all seem to fit big heads, as those are technically audiophile headsets and obviously are good for more than gaming. And I can always add the modmic later as I don't really use a mic when I play any way.

On the other hand, I can get a "wired gaming headset" (wired) for as low as $20, but a good one is like $40 or $60. As I said, no RGB, no 7.1, no USB just good old stereo over headphone 3.5mm plug. The problem is I don't know how well those adjust, as I have a pretty darn big head. That took out of consideration most of the gaming headsets like Corsair Void, CM Mastertone, Razer (various), and so on.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Re: Need to replace headphone/headset on PC

Post by Daehawk »

I cant say enough good things about my Sennheiser G4ME ZERO set. But it will cost ya.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

I have Audio Technica ATH-M50 cans that I love. I prefer the closed back so that the sounds don't get picked up by a microphone that I use. I have no issues with bass on them. I know the open back ones tend to be stronger on bass, but these have great drivers and sound great. FWIW I have a big ol' melon head and they fit fine.
Last edited by Cylus Maxii on Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Yeah, I realized the ATH-500x/700x/900x were open-back, so mic-use with them are kinda mixed-blessing.

There's ATH-m30/m40/m50 which are closed back, and I think I even have an existing mic I can use with it. And M40 is like $77 on Amazon. That may be a good option.

EDIT: Reviews on M30/40/50 is are a bit mixed... the joint was a bit weak and many reports of breakages at the rotation joint after a few months. I've been told that the mechanism on the 500x/600x/700x may be better suited for big heads, as it doesn't rotate or fold like the M series.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i use my Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones at work. they are not old at all (just got them six months ago) and i haven't yet experienced any cracks in the plastic (and i have a big ol head), but i very much baby these things. sad to hear about, though. second best headphones i own - i'd put the Grado SR-60 headphones over these, personally.

my last pair of work headphones - the Monoprice 8323 model - developed many, many cracks after a year and a half of usage. (those only were $24, however... they're even cheaper now.)
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

My set of ATH-M50 are well over a year old and having no issues at all. My daughter liked them enough that I got her a set of the red ones for Christmas 2014. Hers have also been going strong for over a year, and she's pretty hard on electronics. I don't have any experience with the newer M50x model.

EDIT: FWIW - I also bought a Kingston Hyper X Cloud II Headsetfor her in August 2015. Those are mostly used on the PS4 when she goes through occasional binges of on-line gaming. But they are very well made and holding up well. Plus, they sound pretty good. They have a detachable microphone.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Thanks for reminding me... I bought the Monoprice 8323 off Amazon (had to pay $3 more, but I get prime shipping!) at $27 it was MUCH MUCH cheaper than the Audio-Technicas (even the cheaper models) and I have a microphone I can use with it should I want to. If it's 80% as good as the ATH's I should be fine. I'm not an audio-phile of any sort. :)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My monoprice 8323 came in. It's NOT big enough. There's serious pressure on my ears and the "inner fold" mechanism looks kinda delicate.

The microphone that I have plugged in right away, but the sensitity kinda sucks. Gah!

So the quest for the ultimate headphone continues. I'll have I may have to try the ATH-500x after all.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'm looking into SuperLux series of headphones. They have semi-open and their prices are VERY reasonable (about $30-60 for the lower-end models)

Looks like the SuperLux HD661 is only $34. Looks like I should return the Monoprice 8323. Argh. I "kinda" like the folding design, but it's just not big enough for my head.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Those do look comfy. Im considering buying some red replacement pads for my set of G4ME ZEROs. May also buy a cloth headband for them. Looks comfy as well.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image

But need to find the pads that fit Sennheiser G4ME ZERO. And cheaper than replacements from Senn themselves...those above are not cheaper...but look cool.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote:red replacement pads for my set of G4ME ZEROs.
Red ones are going to be hard to find. Black ones can be as low as as $17
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote:My monoprice 8323 came in. It's NOT big enough. There's serious pressure on my ears and the "inner fold" mechanism looks kinda delicate.
i am surprised you ordered these; i don't recommend them. sound quality is fine for the price, but they are not great on the durability front. (and the vinyl ear pads suck, and they are very 'clampy' on my head.)

the TASCAM TH-02 is a much better 'sub-$20' set. https://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-TH02-B-Cl ... B00B1N06PO
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Hey, that's what I said! Oh well, wasted about $10. ($7 amazon return fee, and another $3-5 packaging)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Kasey Chang wrote:
Daehawk wrote:red replacement pads for my set of G4ME ZEROs.
Red ones are going to be hard to find. Black ones can be as low as as $17
Damnit man...Ive looked off and on over weeks for replacements that were cheap like that and never found any. You should hire yourself out for internet searches :)

I cant tell from the pics.....the ones they came with have more cushion at the bottom so they fit better. Wonder if those do?
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

The trick is you have to check reddit too. /r/headphones and head-fi.org have great advice. The G4ME ZEROs is basically a 350 with a microphone. The official Senn part number is HZ-41 (or something like that), and the part says it's compatible with the 350's, the 380's and so on. So looking for replacement pads for those more popular models yielded the results. :)

Just dropped the Monoprice 8323 in the mail back to Amazon returns. I found an old Amazon box and found enough newspaper to make it a snug fit. I have plenty of packing tape, so didn't spent a dime on shipping.

My new Superlux will arrive Monday.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Finally got my Superlux in... at 7PM TUESDAY. And it's STILL small. But this one, with metal band, I can actually bend and not fear of breaking it in any way, unlike that plastic Monoprice set. Still, it feels a little small (I have big ears too).

Actually sounded pretty good.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I have Logitech H800. Have had them for several years, and they are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. They do not squash my ears, never had any discomfort from wearing them, even for hours at a time. However, sometimes my gaming buddy complains due to poor audio or noise when I am using the mic.
I think possibly the range and signal strength from the wireless has weakened over time.
They are not noise canceling, and if you turn them up too high other people can hear what you are listening to. The USB nub is very small, but its not compatible with the logitech universal nub thing.
But all of those negative things I just said are completely outweighed by the fact that things things fit gently on my head, with no discomfort, no pressure, no sweating, and no wire tangling up everywhere.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I am kinda tempted to buy the modmic kit to make my Superlux headphone into a headset. But at $50+ on Amazon it's kinda expensive. There's at $15 clone call MicBuddy or something like that. Missing a lot of stuff like wire clips and such.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Kasey Chang wrote:I am kinda tempted to buy the modmic kit to make my Superlux headphone into a headset. But at $50+ on Amazon it's kinda expensive. There's at $15 clone call MicBuddy or something like that. Missing a lot of stuff like wire clips and such.
FWIW, you can save yourself some money by just getting a decent, budget-friendly Lavalier mic / lapel mic instead.

For example, the Japanese Sony ECMCS3, available for just under $20 on Amazon, or the Audio-Technica ATR3350, which is available for <$30 on Amazon.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Jaymon wrote:I have Logitech H800. Have had them for several years, and they are the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn.
I went by Best Buy and tried wearing their sample Logitech G430 DTS headset ($40 on Amazon). It was surprisingly comfy, as it has HUGE extension! (Over 1 inch on each side). It just LOOKS delicate, but no worse than my Sony I guess. But it's USB simulated 7.1. I can get the G230 ($35 on Amazon, $29 refurb )which is regular stereo and not worry about USB for $5 less. Or I can go for a refurb wireless G930 (USB, 7.1 surround) for $50. But I'm a little worried about the USB thing. Argh.

Choices are, so far...

* G230, regular stereo plug, cheapest ($29-35), should fit just fine

* G430, USB, simulated 7.1, $40 or so, actually tested

* G930, USB wireless, refurb, $50

The three should have the same mechanism and should fit the same. Choices, Choices. I am tempted to go wireless, but I don't know about reliability of USB. ARGH!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The G930 is a terribly wimpy set. It breaks just sitting there. I went trough 9 pair in 2 or 3 years before they quit replacing them. Everything breaks on them even when you are babying them.

As for 7.1 vs stereo. I used to have true 7.1I loved but this time I got simply stereo ones. I wasn't sure about them until I got razers free simulated 7.1 surround software. It works really good.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Looks like the G230 is probably the better choice, at least for gaming then, assuming it's same exterior shell as the G430. Hmmm...

I don't mind my Superlux, as it's considered an audiophile headphone. It's pretty sweet sounding.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Got my G230 in. Dang, this thing is comfy. Now if I can just get the darn microphone to work right... :)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Those look to be the same thing as the G930 just with a cord.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Essentially, yes.

Very comfy, but now my Realtek microphone sucks. Even at 30 db boost the volume ain't enough for most to pickup. Do I have to put an amp there? Sheesh. Some claim reinstall drivers would work, others say turn off the DC offset (didn't help). Yet others say RealTek just suck. At least the playback works fine. Maybe I need a USB sound card... (Which is as low as $7 on Amazon)
Last edited by Kasey Chang on Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Never had a problem with the mics on my G930s so dont know.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

It's not the headset, but the sound card. My USB headset (the one that's cutting out) didn't have the problem. Apparently RealTek had this problem for YEARS. Playback is not a problem, just microphone.

I just ordered a $7 USB soundcard (so I can still use the G230) to see if this can avoid the USB cutting out problem (which I was pretty sure is headset, not my USB port)
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

New sound card didn't help.

Tried the software solution (Equalizer APO) to pre-amp the microphone. The volume level seems okay, then when I tried to do the Windows Speech Recognition setup, it crashed up to half way through. WTF. I think I really do need a new PC. Argh.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just for the heck of it... I bought a new microphone. A CAD GXL2400 USB. Windows speech recog still doesn't work, but Dragon works fine now.

$30 for a decent USB mic w/ a shock mount is cheap.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Update... My G230 developed a crack in the left joint. It hadn't completely let go yet, but it's about to.

I picked this up as a replacement. It has no joints, so it cannot crack. And it does fit my head.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:48 am Update... My G230 developed a crack in the left joint. It hadn't completely let go yet, but it's about to.

you're a little free with your spending... this works, believe it
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As I mentioned Logitech made nice sounded very comfortable sets that simply fell apart on their own.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:38 pm
you're a little free with your spending... this (epoxy) works, believe it
I believe you. I can always have a spare lying around. That's not an issue. Believe me, I have superglue and Gorilla glue lying around. May make a project of it this weekend, but the crack is right across the area with the screws holding the piece in. I don't think the glue has enough strength to hold.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i had a pair of Monoprice cans that nearly cracked all the way across (with a chunk of plastic missing) - applying epoxy across the whole width of the band and filling the hole caused the ear piece on that side to no longer be adjustable, but that fix was *strong*.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Sounds like an opportunity in the making. Ever thought of putting out your own brand of Kasey Chang designer headsets? :D
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti