Thread for 'Alt-Facts'

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: Thread for 'Alt-Facts'

Post by Holman »

The "library" part is for scholars researching the relevant administrations, although that will become less and less important as more of the documentary traces of a presidency are born digital.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

This is what Trump voters said when asked to compare his inauguration crowd with Obama’s
For the question about which image went with which inauguration, 41 percent of Trump supporters gave the wrong answer; that’s significantly more than the wrong answers given by 8 percent of Clinton voters and 21 percent of those who did not vote.

But what’s even more noteworthy is that 15 percent of people who voted for Trump told us that more people were in the image on the left — the photo from Trump’s inauguration — than the picture on the right. We got that answer from only 2 percent of Clinton voters and 3 percent of nonvoters.

Even when the photographic evidence was directly in front of them and the question was straightforward, one in seven Trump supporters gave the clearly false answer.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Rip

Re: Thread for 'Alternative Facts'

Post by Rip »

LordMortis wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
Rip wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:+0.48% is soaring? :)
Then we're having a devastating crash right now, after the market came back down to earth after the great birth 1/20, the US experienced a cataclysmic event of 1/23 seeing them market dip as low as -0.55% or perhaps worse at lowest valley. Even as it struggles to climb, we've not seen lose like this since the last great crash of 1/19.
News of renewed pipelines talks shook the world, lifting the market 0.43%, a level a rarely seen since the soaring of the stock market during Trump's Inauguration speech of 1/20. This meteoric level rise, however, was not enough to counteract the great crash of 1/23 ultimately caused by so called progressive protests around the US during the turbulent time of 1/21.
Miraculously as Trump's cabinet, which some are calling the most intelligent ever assembled, began getting confirmed and taking office markets erupted in celebration reaching historic highs.
At a total of +0.80%, they actually managed to double the gains made in this morning already nearly historic rally, surpassing even the boom times of 1/20 that we all so fondly remember.
The market, noting Obama is on vacation again, loses a full 50% of the gains made post cabinet confirmation this afternoon, forcing a close at a devastating +0.63%, distracted, having never reached its full potential under the current administration. Much fear and trepidation looking at the horizon for what lies ahead in the upcoming morning of 1/25.
But with the POTUS deciding to go after illegal voter fraud 1/25 became a glorious day with the market catapulting to over a 20K DJIA. Leaving little doubt to Trumps ability to send the markets to meteoric highs.
Fitzy

Post by Fitzy »

Defiant wrote:This is what Trump voters said when asked to compare his inauguration crowd with Obama’s
For the question about which image went with which inauguration, 41 percent of Trump supporters gave the wrong answer; that’s significantly more than the wrong answers given by 8 percent of Clinton voters and 21 percent of those who did not vote.

But what’s even more noteworthy is that 15 percent of people who voted for Trump told us that more people were in the image on the left — the photo from Trump’s inauguration — than the picture on the right. We got that answer from only 2 percent of Clinton voters and 3 percent of nonvoters.

Even when the photographic evidence was directly in front of them and the question was straightforward, one in seven Trump supporters gave the clearly false answer.
On my Facebook timeline the Trump supporters are claiming the 2017 photo was taken at 7:30am. It is a weird time we live in.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Fitzy wrote:
Defiant wrote:This is what Trump voters said when asked to compare his inauguration crowd with Obama’s

On my Facebook timeline the Trump supporters are claiming the 2017 photo was taken at 7:30am. It is a weird time we live in.
Someone shared a great 60 second video that puts this stupid-ass photo "controversy" to rest.

I was actually watching inauguration on the Earthcam.com's view of the mall. Had I known it would be taken to these absurd extremes this week, I would have taken a timestamped screenshot. Kicking myself now.
Last edited by Skinypupy on Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Fitzy wrote:

Just an example of alt-time.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Show them these photos, you can clearly see Trump's face on the video screens which proves they were taken at the time of the speech:

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2017/ ... ck/514253/

Enlarge Image
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
LordMortis

Re: Thread for 'Alternative Facts'

Post by LordMortis »

Rip wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
Rip wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
LordMortis wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:+0.48% is soaring? :)
Then we're having a devastating crash right now, after the market came back down to earth after the great birth 1/20, the US experienced a cataclysmic event of 1/23 seeing them market dip as low as -0.55% or perhaps worse at lowest valley. Even as it struggles to climb, we've not seen lose like this since the last great crash of 1/19.
News of renewed pipelines talks shook the world, lifting the market 0.43%, a level a rarely seen since the soaring of the stock market during Trump's Inauguration speech of 1/20. This meteoric level rise, however, was not enough to counteract the great crash of 1/23 ultimately caused by so called progressive protests around the US during the turbulent time of 1/21.
Miraculously as Trump's cabinet, which some are calling the most intelligent ever assembled, began getting confirmed and taking office markets erupted in celebration reaching historic highs.
At a total of +0.80%, they actually managed to double the gains made in this morning already nearly historic rally, surpassing even the boom times of 1/20 that we all so fondly remember.
The market, noting Obama is on vacation again, loses a full 50% of the gains made post cabinet confirmation this afternoon, forcing a close at a devastating +0.63%, distracted, having never reached its full potential under the current administration. Much fear and trepidation looking at the horizon for what lies ahead in the upcoming morning of 1/25.
But with the POTUS deciding to go after illegal voter fraud 1/25 became a glorious day with the market catapulting to over a 20K DJIA. Leaving little doubt to Trumps ability to send the markets to meteoric highs.
No time for this today but I would say this was largely based on positive popular reaction to Trump's epic decision to reel in the over reach of the EPA while concurrently remobilizing an oil industry long tangled by federal bureaucracy to begin job creating national infrastructure projects on on DAPL and Keystone.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Clearly the crooked liberals just photoshopped out all of the illegals, dead people, and people who arrived from more than one state.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Grifman wrote:Show them these photos, you can clearly see Trump's face on the video screens which proves they were taken at the time of the speech:

Enlarge Image
Photos can be 'shopped. Which might explain why a couple of the screens show completely different images compared to the others. :ninja:
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Max Peck wrote:
Grifman wrote:Show them these photos, you can clearly see Trump's face on the video screens which proves they were taken at the time of the speech:

Enlarge Image
Photos can be 'shopped. Which might explain why a couple of the screens show completely different images compared to the others. :ninja:
I actually noticed that too
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Find a quote from him or his spokesturd saying that illegal immigration has skyrocketed or something like that and I'll add it to the list.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Carpet_pissr wrote:Find a quote from him or his spokesturd saying that illegal immigration has skyrocketed or something like that and I'll add it to the list.
Trump has been at the very least implying it, especially by saying things such as "we have no country without borders" or such similar nonsense. Why else would he be committing massive amounts to stop a problem that doesn't really exist?

According to the article, 408,870 crossed the border illegally, many of them not even Mexican. At a cost of $20B (which I still think is a conservative estimate, I've seen other predictions that this monstrosity will run over $30B and within 5 years cost nearly $40B per year to maintain), that is almost $49,000 per immigrant stopped. In 2015, there was 86,000,000 tax payers, so at $20B, this wall will cost each of us $233 and more each year as maintenance costs escalate.
Black Lives Matter
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

See, he is capable of saying actual facts.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Defiant wrote: ...

See, he is capable of saying actual facts.
*stares at Tweet*
*sits down*
*raises finger, opens mouth*
*looks confused, jaw moves slightly*
*closes mouth, hand down*
*stares at floor, shaking head*
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
malchior

Post by malchior »

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/826145391431266304
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

That's actually true, considering that Trump is only listening to his alt-Reichsminister.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

My first instinct was: "There's only 33?"

I think I'm just going to post an hourly reminder to ask Rip, MSD, et al how they defend these items. Because either Trump's lying, or somehow I need evidence that the media got 33 different statements wrong (either intentionally or unintentionally).

And if he is lying, then I need to understand what makes these lies OK when Hillary's "lies" were not OK.

Any moderate Republican who is supporting this guy needs to have their head examined (anyone on the extremes is already too far gone).
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Are there moderate Republicans left? You and I might fancy ourselves that way, but the Party clearly has moved away from anything that I recognize as "Republican".
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

RunningMn9 wrote:Are there moderate Republicans left? You and I might fancy ourselves that way, but the Party clearly has moved away from anything that I recognize as "Republican".
I think a more accurate question is are there any moderate republicans left that aren't in denial of where their party is. I can't see how there could be.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

RunningMn9 wrote:Are there moderate Republicans left? You and I might fancy ourselves that way, but the Party clearly has moved away from anything that I recognize as "Republican".
Charlie Baker is trying hard to walk that line. Before Trump took office, Baker was the most popular governor in the US, notable for getting along with our solidly Democratic legislature while insisting on fiscal conservatism. His approval rating has dropped since then.

He is a pragmatic man who opposed Trump during the primaries, but has tried to avoid the subject since then. As the governor of a state with an all-blue congressional delegation, he's our only voice within the Republican Party, and he considers it his duty to maintain communications to protect state interests -- such as the $1B Green Line extension that's currently before the Transportation Dept. As the birthplace of Romneycare and the state with the highest percentage insured, we also have a particularly keen interest in the outcome of the Obamacare "replacement."

So yeah, there's at least one genuinely moderate Republican in a position of authority.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The Trump administration lies almost 3 times a day -- that we know about.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

LordMortis wrote:
I think a more accurate question is are there any moderate republicans left that aren't in denial of where their party is. I can't see how there could be.
Bill Krystol, Evan McMullin. A few others.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
tgb

Post by tgb »

malchior wrote: https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/826145391431266304
Derek Smart!!!!!
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

tjg_marantz wrote:Bill Krystol, Evan McMullin. A few others.
Neither of them are moderate Republicans, nor do they represent anything to do with Republican principles pre-Reagan and the rise of conservatism. They are both conservative Republicans.

They are however, sane Republicans so I'll give you that. :)
Make up bags of change
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Poor misunderstood individual shot while visiting the Louvre by evil French soldiers :mrgreen:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38863431
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

RunningMn9 wrote:
tjg_marantz wrote:Bill Krystol, Evan McMullin. A few others.
Neither of them are moderate Republicans, nor do they represent anything to do with Republican principles pre-Reagan and the rise of conservatism. They are both conservative Republicans.

They are however, sane Republicans so I'll give you that. :)
At this point, that's the best we can hope for I fear. I'll give you they are not moderate. :lol:
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Holman

Post by Holman »

I'd add David Frum, editor of The Atlantic, to the list of principled conservatives.

And he seems to have come some distance from the rhetorical excesses of his GWB days.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Also, George Will.

Also, for a moderate, how about Christine Todd Whitman
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

em2nought wrote:Poor misunderstood individual shot while visiting the Louvre by evil French soldiers :mrgreen:
Hey, look! Also not on the Ban list! Anyone surprised?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Frum and Will are also principled conservatives. Neither are moderates.

Whitman is moderate relatively speaking, but she no longer has a political career, does she?
Make up bags of change
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The internet tells me that examples of moderate Republicans are: former Secretary of State Colin Powell, Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski, South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham (!), former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani (!!), NJ Governor Chris Christie (!!!) and former California Governor and current Trump foil, Arnold Schwarzenegger.

So in summary, no? :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Holman

Post by Holman »

That list has some out-of-date truth to it. Christie pretended to be a moderate even some ways into the Obama administration, didn't he? He made the full hard-right turn after 2012 when he saw how the winds were blowing. I suppose the true NJians can tell me more.

I seem to recall a brief period when Giuliani talked and acted like a Republican who could get things done in a liberal state, but this was before 9/11. Those days are long gone. Now he's like a guy who wakes up every morning and has a fresh rage-stroke with breakfast.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Freyland wrote:
em2nought wrote:Poor misunderstood individual shot while visiting the Louvre by evil French soldiers :mrgreen:
Hey, look! Also not on the Ban list! Anyone surprised?
Don't hit Li'l Rip with facts. He hates that.
tgb wrote:
malchior wrote: https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/826145391431266304
Derek Smart!!!!!
If I read further down, will I see a tweet from Cleve Blakemore?
Covfefe!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Smoove_B wrote:The internet tells me that examples of moderate Republicans are: former Secretary of State Colin Powell, Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski, South Carolina Senator Lindsey Graham (!), former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani (!!), NJ Governor Chris Christie (!!!) and former California Governor and current Trump foil, Arnold Schwarzenegger.

So in summary, no? :D
I would consider Graham a conservative and not a moderate (if more moderate than most Republicans), but I wouldn't characterize him as lockstep with Trump at all, especially compared to the other two(!!)

Senator Collins would be another moderate.

Also, Romney.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote:Arnold Schwarzenegger.
Is moderate (by my standards) and not in denial. That's one. I can't speak for Powell or Murkowski. Powell seems moderate enough but he's been quiet.

Romney is moderate but he appears to be in denial.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... start.html

His opining on Feb 3rd:
"The campaign is over," Romney said. "I think we come together with hope. And there are encouraging signs on a number of fronts and I’m holding on to those at this stage."

While there have been "some bumps in the road" for Trump, Romney said the new president has stayed true to the commitments he made as a candidate, signing a slew of executive orders on immigration and other issues.

"We're all watching with interest. He’s obviously gotten off to a very strong start in terms of making a series of executive orders and making the changes that he promised during the campaign," Romney said.

Trump is proving wrong those who "wondered whether he would abandon his agenda. He has not. He has pursued it with vigor," Romney said. He added at this point he is hopeful America's interests will be enhanced by the new president.

And so far, Romney said, Trump has appointed "good people" to serve in his administration. He praised the president's choice for the U.S. Supreme Court, 10th Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Neil Gorsuch, as "superb."
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Romney certainly governed as a moderate, culminating in Romneycare...and then he abandoned his state to run for president and styled himself (unconvincingly) a "severe conservative." IDK which one is the real Mitt. After seeing him sell his soul to Trump in his SecState interview, he might be empty inside.

Depending on whom the Dems stand up against him, I might support Baker's bid for reelection. He's been a pretty good governor, and there is some value in encouraging Republican moderates, especially if this severely conservative Congress gets routed.