Thread for 'Alt-Facts'

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

tgb

Re: Thread for 'Alt-Facts'

Post by tgb »

hepcat wrote:
Freyland wrote:
em2nought wrote:Poor misunderstood individual shot while visiting the Louvre by evil French soldiers :mrgreen:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38863431
Hey, look! Also not on the Ban list! Anyone surprised?
Don't hit Li'l Rip with facts. He hates that.
tgb wrote:
malchior wrote: https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/826145391431266304
Derek Smart!!!!!
If I read further down, will I see a tweet from Cleve Blakemore?
He's too busy with his White House duties. :ninja:
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I can get on board perhaps with Collins and Merkowski. Powell is in the same bucket as Whitman. Effectively retired and so they don't count.

I laughed out loud at Graham though. He's hardly a moderate. Christie would have been once upon a time, same with Romney. They lost the title when running for President.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Spineless cowards, the lot of them. Admit Trump is bad for this country, take your lumps, and try again in 2020. The people I've seen abandon every moral and "Reagan Republican" principle in their body over this con-artist absolutely disgusts me.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

YellowKing wrote:Spineless cowards, the lot of them. Admit Trump is bad for this country, take your lumps, and try again in 2020. The people I've seen abandon every moral and "Reagan Republican" principle in their body over this con-artist absolutely disgusts me.
I have no idea how they can look at a guy who can't make it through a phone call with one of our top 3 biggest allies without insulting and hanging up on him and see anything other than a dangerously petulant man child that shouldn't be anywhere near the reins of power. And yet...
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

gbasden wrote:
YellowKing wrote:Spineless cowards, the lot of them. Admit Trump is bad for this country, take your lumps, and try again in 2020. The people I've seen abandon every moral and "Reagan Republican" principle in their body over this con-artist absolutely disgusts me.
I have no idea how they can look at a guy who can't make it through a phone call with one of our top 3 biggest allies without insulting and hanging up on him and see anything other than a dangerously petulant man child that shouldn't be anywhere near the reins of power. And yet...
Everyone thinks they can pull the puppet's strings.

https://twitter.com/TheTrumpPuppet/stat ... 0755093504
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Apparently the number of airstrikes the US has launched over the last few years.
The American military has failed to publicly disclose potentially thousands of lethal airstrikes conducted over several years in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan, a Military Times investigation has revealed. The enormous data gap raises serious doubts about transparency in reported progress against the Islamic State, al-Qaida and the Taliban, and calls into question the accuracy of other Defense Department disclosures documenting everything from costs to casualty counts.

In 2016 alone, U.S. combat aircraft conducted at least 456 airstrikes in Afghanistan that were not recorded as part of an open-source database maintained by the U.S. Air Force, information relied on by Congress, American allies, military analysts, academic researchers, the media and independent watchdog groups to assess each war's expense, manpower requirements and human toll. Those airstrikes were carried out by attack helicopters and armed drones operated by the U.S. Army, metrics quietly excluded from otherwise comprehensive monthly summaries, published online for years, detailing American military activity in all three theaters.

Most alarming is the prospect this data has been incomplete since the war on terrorism began in October 2001. If that is the case, it would fundamentally undermine confidence in much of what the Pentagon has disclosed about its prosecution of these wars, prompt critics to call into question whether the military sought to mislead the American public, and cast doubt on the competency with which other vital data collection is being performed and publicized. Those other key metrics include American combat casualties, taxpayer expense and the military’s overall progress in degrading enemy capabilities.
http://www.militarytimes.com/articles/a ... da-taliban

:whistle:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

i love that you think you just scored a touchdown for your team with that. :lol:
Covfefe!
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'm honestly confused. Why would an Air Force database contain information about (I presume) Army helicopter strikes? Also, how is this something to freak out about? I've been painfully aware we've been bombing the shit out of the middle east in that time period - I'm not sure a few tons of high explosives one way or another is data I particularly care about.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Reading the last few posts, it's like the Earth's magnetic core has flipped. lol
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Rip

Post by Rip »

gbasden wrote:I'm honestly confused. Why would an Air Force database contain information about (I presume) Army helicopter strikes? Also, how is this something to freak out about? I've been painfully aware we've been bombing the shit out of the middle east in that time period - I'm not sure a few tons of high explosives one way or another is data I particularly care about.
Because they are the ones responsible for organizing and tracking all military air traffic in the regions. What did you think that the services just operated without regards to each other? Had no idea that they operated under area command and control with a central command overseeing and documenting operations/engagements?

Welcome to the twentieth century.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote:Reading the last few posts, it's like the Earth's magnetic core has flipped. lol
More like a few people latching onto something that involves multiple administrations, and not even directly at that, and trying to use it as a gotcha moment in defense of the numerous, outright Trump administration lies that spawned this thread.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Alt-Right says Lady Gaga half-time show was satanic ritual.
“They say she’s going to stand on top of the stadium, ruling over everyone with drones everywhere, surveilling everyone in a big swarm,” he continues. “To just condition them to say ‘I am the Godess of Satan’ ruling over them with the rise of the robots in a ritual of lesser magic.”
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

But...but...she's white. :?
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

But she's not heteronormative.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Here's something that's not an "alt-fact":

Alex Jones is batshit crazy.
Hodor.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Isgrimnur wrote:But she's not heteronormative.
It's not her fault - she was born this way.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
Isgrimnur wrote:But she's not heteronormative.
It's not her fault - she was born this way.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hodor.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The administration provides us with their working definition of fake news: non-hagiographic coverage of Trump.

WH official: We'll say 'fake news' until media realizes attitude of attacking the President is wrong
Sebastian Gorka, deputy assistant to President Donald Trump, said Monday that the administration will continue using the term "fake news" until the media understands that their "monumental desire" to attack the President is wrong.

"There is a monumental desire on behalf of the majority of the media, not just the pollsters, the majority of the media to attack a duly elected President in the second week of his term," Gorka, a former Breitbart editor who also holds a PhD in political science, told syndicated conservative radio host Michael Medved.

"That's how unhealthy the situation is and until the media understands how wrong that attitude is, and how it hurts their credibility, we are going to continue to say, 'fake news.' I'm sorry, Michael. That's the reality," he added.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
tgb

Post by tgb »

So to be clear, any news that Trump doesn't like is an "attack". Got it.

Isn't Sebastian Gorka the new head of SPECTRE?
I spent 90% of the money I made on women, booze, and drugs. The other 10% I just pissed away.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

HYDRA
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

pr0ner wrote:Here's something that's not an "alt-fact":

Alex Jones is batshit crazy.
Aren't we glad our President believes it all, but thinks CNN, the NY Times, etc are all 100% fake news journalists?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WaPo
President Trump met Tuesday morning with a group of sheriffs from the National Sheriffs Association, a group that consists of more than 3,000 sheriffs from around the country. And to this sworn group of law enforcement veterans, with reporters taking notes, he again repeated a falsehood about the murder rate in America.

Trump told the sheriffs, “the murder rate in our country is the highest it’s been in 47 years.” He blamed the news media for not publicizing this development, then added, “But the murder rate is the highest it’s been in, I guess, 45 to 47 years.”

The country’s murder rate is not the highest it’s been in 47 years. It is almost at its lowest point, actually, according to the FBI, which gathers statistics every year from police departments around the country.
Holman

Post by Holman »

And this is not simple mis-speaking. It's not the same as slipping up and saying "Bush" when you obviously mean "Trump" or having a brainfart and mixing up what state you're in. Trump is making the stark claim and basing his argument on it.

I went through the whole campaign disgusted at what a liar Trump was. Since the election, I'm more and more convinced that he is as delusional as he is deceitful, and that's terrifying.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

All I can think back to when I see this is my mom and I arguing over voting for Trump, and she said, "I'm not voting for Hillary because she's a LIAR!!!"

It's taken every ounce of willpower I have not to post the Trump "Lie of the Day" in a Facebook PM to her. :evil:
Rip

Post by Rip »

I'm sure what he meant to say is that the murder rate (in the last year) is rising at the fastest rate in that long.

http://www.economist.com/news/united-st ... ts-fastest
MURDER, which grew rarer for 20 years, is on the rise again. But by how much? In 2015, the number of murders increased by 11% nationwide.

During 2016, an escalation of gang violence in Chicago left 764 people dead in a city where 485 had been killed a year before. A dispute ensued over whether the Windy City was simply an isolated example or a barometer of a wider problem.

National statistics for 2016 will not be released for eight months, but to get an early sense of the answer The Economist has gathered murder statistics for 2016 for the 50 cities with the most murders. These places contain 15% of the country’s population and around 36% of murder victims.

Our numbers show that, in 2016, murders increased in 34 of the cities we tracked. Three cities experienced a spike in deaths sharper than the 58% suffered by Chicago. Since cities tend to reflect the country as a whole, this suggests that the murder rate is rising at its fastest pace since the early 1970s.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Which is why he's off by a quarter of a century. :roll:
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Rip wrote:I'm sure what he meant to say is that the murder rate (in the last year) is rising at the fastest rate in that long.

http://www.economist.com/news/united-st ... ts-fastest
MURDER, which grew rarer for 20 years, is on the rise again. But by how much? In 2015, the number of murders increased by 11% nationwide.

During 2016, an escalation of gang violence in Chicago left 764 people dead in a city where 485 had been killed a year before. A dispute ensued over whether the Windy City was simply an isolated example or a barometer of a wider problem.

National statistics for 2016 will not be released for eight months, but to get an early sense of the answer The Economist has gathered murder statistics for 2016 for the 50 cities with the most murders. These places contain 15% of the country’s population and around 36% of murder victims.

Our numbers show that, in 2016, murders increased in 34 of the cities we tracked. Three cities experienced a spike in deaths sharper than the 58% suffered by Chicago. Since cities tend to reflect the country as a whole, this suggests that the murder rate is rising at its fastest pace since the early 1970s.
Then he should have said that. Words matter from the most powerful man on the planet.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Rip wrote:I'm sure what he meant to say is that the murder rate (in the last year) is rising at the fastest rate in that long.
Why do so many Trump statements have to be explained by third parties as to what he really means. Is he just that incompetent of a communicator of facts? If he gives an order to our military, is someone going to have to tell them what he really means?
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

No need to get all wordy- English has a single word for "incompetent communicator of facts". :P No one seems to want to say or write it though. For all the talk about snowflakes, and PC'ism, and straight talk, "so-called" R's sure seem to not want to use direct language here for some reason.

You really can't get more PC than "alternative facts"...seriously, Conway stole this straight out of the liberal playbook of "soft language", and I didn't see any Trumpsters that typically abhor this kind of pussification bat an eye.

Also, we really need to come up with some terms for the various conservative factions vying for power -

We have post-modern, "the truth is a lie" Republicans (Tea Party in here maybe?)
We have Trumpster BURN IT ALL DOWN shitbags
We have a few traditional/moderate Republicans - tiny percentage here, no (in positions of power, i.e. Congress, Judicial or maybe even governors)?
Need a sum total name for this unholy trinity: ???
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

I'm equally sure he meant to lie to the public like he does every single goddamn day and his sycophants lap it up like they need that shit to survive.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The DAPL is not controversial. No on has tried to fight the pipeline. No one has complained.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/army-grant-eas ... d=45330548

And that as of February 7th, this has bee the longest it has taken to approve a presidential cabinet in history.
Chaz

Post by Chaz »

LordMortis wrote:The DAPL is not controversial. No on has tried to fight the pipeline. No one has complained.

And that as of February 7th, this has bee the longest it has taken to approve a presidential cabinet in history.
He says specifically "I haven't had one call" about it. Didn't I hear something about the White House switchboard being closed down? Maybe that's why he didn't get any calls.
I can't imagine, even at my most inebriated, hearing a bouncer offering me an hour with a stripper for only $1,400 and thinking That sounds like a reasonable idea.-Two Sheds
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote:HYDRA
In the unlikely event that I ever meet Trump or someone in his cabinet / high in his administration I'm going to say "hail Hydra!" to them and see how they respond.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LordMortis wrote:The DAPL is not controversial. No on has tried to fight the pipeline. No one has complained.

Those are both definitely 'pants on fire' level alt facts. Will add later when not on Tapatalk.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

So, in addition to the non-existent Bowling Green Massacre they keep bringing up, Bullshit Spice has now apparently invented an "Atlanta attack"...which also never happened.
White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer, in recent interviews, mentioned a terror attack in Atlanta when promoting President Trump's travel ban — one of the two Trump administration officials to invent a massacre when defending Trump's executive order.

"But what do we say to the family that loses somebody over a terroristic ... whether it's Atlanta or San Bernardino or the Boston bomber?" he told ABC's Martha Raddatz in a Jan. 29 appearance on "This Week."

One day later, appearing on NBC's "Morning Joe," he again mentioned Atlanta.

"Too many of these cases that have happened, whether you're talking about San Bernardino, Atlanta, they've happened, Boston," Spicer said. "The answer is, we act now to protect the future."

While well-publicized attacks did happen in San Bernardino and Boston, no known Islamist attack has ever occurred in Atlanta. None of the incidents Spicer mentioned — even the bogus Atlanta one — involved attackers from countries listed in Trump's travel ban.

It's unclear what Atlanta attack Spicer was speaking about, as White House officials have not responded to a request for clarification.
I'll give them credit though. Make up enough shit out of whole cloth, and pretty soon the rubes won't be able to tell the difference and just live in constant fear.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Having long abandoned the path of attempting brilliance, we see here the honed nature of attempting to dazzle people with bullshit.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Maybe he's talking about the bomb at the Atlanta Olympic games? Oh wait, that wasn't a terrorist attack - it was done by a white guy.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Maybe he's talking about the bomb at the Atlanta Olympic games? Oh wait, that wasn't a terrorist attack - it was done by a white guy.
Oh, I'm sure he probably is. However, if he repeats the words "radical Islam" enough times, his supporters won't care/believe that it was actually a home-grown white Christian.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Maybe he's talking about the bomb at the Atlanta Olympic games? Oh wait, that wasn't a terrorist attack - it was done by a white guy.
Right but I think we can all agree that we clearly remember hearing Richard Jewell yelling 'Allahu akbar!' at the time.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Skinypupy wrote:So, in addition to the non-existent Bowling Green Massacre they keep bringing up, Bullshit Spice has now apparently invented an "Atlanta attack"...which also never happened.
White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer, in recent interviews, mentioned a terror attack in Atlanta when promoting President Trump's travel ban — one of the two Trump administration officials to invent a massacre when defending Trump's executive order.

"But what do we say to the family that loses somebody over a terroristic ... whether it's Atlanta or San Bernardino or the Boston bomber?" he told ABC's Martha Raddatz in a Jan. 29 appearance on "This Week."

One day later, appearing on NBC's "Morning Joe," he again mentioned Atlanta.

"Too many of these cases that have happened, whether you're talking about San Bernardino, Atlanta, they've happened, Boston," Spicer said. "The answer is, we act now to protect the future."

While well-publicized attacks did happen in San Bernardino and Boston, no known Islamist attack has ever occurred in Atlanta. None of the incidents Spicer mentioned — even the bogus Atlanta one — involved attackers from countries listed in Trump's travel ban.

It's unclear what Atlanta attack Spicer was speaking about, as White House officials have not responded to a request for clarification.
I'll give them credit though. Make up enough shit out of whole cloth, and pretty soon the rubes won't be able to tell the difference and just live in constant fear.
The South will never forget the burning of Atlanta by that terrorist Sherman! (there was news coverage however of this terrorist act by the NYT on December 26th of that year)
Last edited by $iljanus on Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?