Where did Prey 2 get to?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Where did Prey 2 get to?

Post by Daehawk »

Is it canned? haven't heard a thing on it in a very long time now.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: Where did Prey 2 get to?

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Are you an optimist? If so, maybe 2016.

We Hear The People Behind Dishonored Are Now Working On Prey 2
But today, the Prey 2 fan site Alien Noire is reporting the same thing we've heard: that Arkane's Austin-based studio is now working on the game. What's more, they're reporting details that weren't sent to us by the original tipster, like the fact that the developers at the California-based Obsidian (South Park: The Stick of Truth) were working on Prey 2 at one point, and that the England-based studio Rebellion (Rogue Warrior) turned down the opportunity to make the troubled sci-fi shooter. Both Obsidian and Rebellion have worked with Bethesda in the past.

And according to our original tipster—who I've confirmed is indeed in a position to have this information—Bethesda had been trying for a few months now to convince Arkane to work on the game. Last week, the tipster says, Bethesda finally forced their hand: Arkane would develop Prey 2, scrapping all the work that Human Head has done and starting from scratch, with a targeted release date of late 2016.

Some people at Arkane Austin are upset about this decision, our tipster said, but higher-ups at the company are telling the team to forget that it's called Prey 2 and just treat it like a new System Shock—the first-person PC series that inspired games like Bioshock and Arkane's last project, Dishonored.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Cancelled.
"It was game we believed in, but we never felt that it got to where it needed to be - we never saw a path to success if we finished it," Hines said.

"It wasn't up to our quality standard and we decided to cancel it. It's no longer in development. That wasn't an easy decision, but it's one that won't surprise many folks given that we hadn't been talking about it.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sad, sad tuba.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

As I recall, the first one featured some guy who got abducted from a native american reservation running around a giant spaceship where every other door looked like an ass sphincter. The gameplay was also kinda lackluster. So, I'm really ok with not seeing any more of this franchise.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Actually this one was a totally different game. You are still abducted but you were to play a space bounty hunter. The game play videos made it look amazing. It seemed very ambitious and that may have been what helped kill it. Just too hard to create what they promised. It was one game I was really looking forward to because of the game play.

E3 2011 trailer

E3 2011 play through
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

But did it have portal technology?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

It was prey to a number of setbacks.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Rumpy wrote:It was prey to a number of setbacks.
Including a predatory marketplace.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Apparently it wasn't cancelled, just renamed Prey (to confuse everyone). Trailer was released at E3 2016 last night.
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

But, (and this is important), will it show the player walking through giant alien sphincters?
Black Lives Matter
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Smoove_B wrote:Apparently it wasn't cancelled, just renamed Prey (to confuse everyone). Trailer was released at E3 2016 last night.
If I hadn't known what it was when I clicked on the link, the first thing that would have popped into my head sure as heck wouldn't have been "Oooo, Prey is back!". Not sure what it would have been but certainly not that. :?
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Yaaa hmmm...want my Prey 2 bounty hunter game more.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I've never played the first game. Is it worth playing?

Good job on the rename. It will fall prey to confusing searches.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ok, looks like a good System Shock spin-off. Not sure what it has to do with Prey, though. Prey was a game distinguished by its gimmick. That gimmick seems completely gone from this.

In more modern terms, it would be like creating a psychological horror game set in a ghost-infested laboratory and calling it 'Portal', but not having any portals.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Looks pretty good to me. I've also read that it has a deep and extensive RPG skill tree. I certainly wouldn't mind playing a well done SS2 clone.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, it looks like a good game alright. I'm just not sure why it is Prey.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote:Oh, it looks like a good game alright. I'm just not sure why it is Prey.
I agree. Its not the same as the first game and is nowhere near as cool as what it was supposed to originally be.

A look at it from IGN

They are saying....
Prey Looks and Plays Like A Hybrid of Bioshock and Dishonored
...I cant say Im happy about that. I wanted the space bounty hunter game.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Every time I think of the first prey I think of Roger Zelazny 's Eye of Cat, and wish that were a game.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I noticed the Arkane logo at the end of the video. That's a good sign. Something about it had a familiar vibe. Maybe Arx Fatalis meets Deus Ex.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

“Prey is not a sequel, it’s not a remake, it has no tie with the original,” says Raphael Colantonio, president and creative director of Arkane Studios.

Then he says it is a "re-imagining of the IP". From What is Prey?
-mf
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Gameplay video from Gamescom 2016. Hey, remember that time you turned yourself into a coffee cup to solve a puzzle? Yeah, that was...something.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Prey world premiere trailer at The Game Awards.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya that looks strange. Might be fun. Still not the Prey 2 I want. Maybe someone will get that one and make it some day. Till then Ill just watch the old videos.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It reminded more of BioShock than anything - creeping around an abandoned space station (instead of underwater city). I don't know if that's the whole game, but that's what it looked like in that clip.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I liked the original Prey, but that clip mostly just looked like Generic Space Shooter #167 to me. Meh.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I liked that clip better than the initial footage, which looked more Deus Ex than anything. Prey was a pretty standard shooter with some gimmicks that involved warping reality a bit (playing with gravity, playing with scale, playing with spaces.) If they stick with that core idea, it might be interesting.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Skinypupy wrote:I liked the original Prey, but that clip mostly just looked like Generic Space Shooter #167 to me. Meh.
Extended gameplay trailer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxUDw6R490E

Doesn't look like a Generic Space Shooter to me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Gameplay Trailer #2. Coming 5/5/17.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

-mf
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

That sounds really fantastic!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I love Arkane Studio so at some point Im sure Ill give this a go. But Im not a Dishonored fan. I found the first one just ok and had to force myself to finish it. Not picked up the 2nd one at all. And Im still so very disappointed that Prey 2 isn't the space bounty hunter game that was first shown. So Ill wait until years from now its like $5 or so I guess.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Not me. System Shock for a new generation means day 1 purchase.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I watched about an hours extended gameplay today and this really is a "System Shock 3" in many ways. You can see the influence, plus some very explicit callbacks. The space station com system is called "Looking Glass" and the key code to one of the offices if 0451. It's really looking cool.
KDH

Post by KDH »

:coffee: ... "We Doubled Our Thoroughness," ... Prey Dev Says After Dishonored 2's PC Issues

also ..
Prey launches on May 5 for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC. You can play the game's first hour for free through a demo that is available now on consoles.

I hope the Prey 2 you speak of is the Prey releasing on May 5 .. otherwise, disregard
Ain't nobody got time for that
KDH

Post by KDH »

:coffee: ... ZeniMax pressures 'Prey for the Gods' devs to make a name change

most:
It's a good example of what happens when a small team, running on a crowdfunded budget, faces the prospect of having to lawyer up for a potential court battle over a trademark.

"We didn’t want to do this but we had to change our game name from Prey for the Gods to Praey for the Gods," reads an excerpt of the studio's most recent newsletter.

"Honestly, we could make this entire newsletter about our thoughts on this. Trademark law is what we were dealing with and we aren’t under any NDA so we can state the opposition in this situation, Bethesda/Zenimax."

The dev goes on to note that the studio had actually originally considered using Praey, and that it had applied for trademarks on both variants of the game title -- only to be opposed on Prey for the Gods by ZeniMax, which owns both the developer (Arkane) and the publisher (Bethesda) of Prey.

"While we disagree with their opposition we were able to come to an agreement," the post continues. "This is really something no starting company should have to deal with let alone a tiny team of 3. So the fact that we came out the other end intact still developing the game was a win. One that will no doubt shape our company moving forward."
let's hope max headroom doesn't sue zenimax
Spoiler:
KDH

Post by KDH »

:o .. Arkane Studios: "Steam Refunds = PC Prey Demo"

Prey's Raph Colantonio Says Steam's 2 Hour Refund Policy Stands in Place of Demo
Earlier this week I had the opportunity to speak with Raphael Colantonio, Co-creative Director at Arkane Studios, about Prey. I asked him directly about the lack of a PC demo, and whether people could infer a lack of confidence in the PC version as a result.

"It's just a resource assignment thing. We couldn't do a demo on both the console and on the PC, we had to choose. And besides, PC has Steam. Steam players can just return the game [prior to playing] 2 hours so it's like a demo already.

re: Porting Console to PC
I also want to clarify that there's no PC port. I keep on hearing 'oh they're going to screw up the PC port' there is no PC port. We do the game on PC. It's a PC game. It's a different engine to Dishonored as well. So we might have our own sets of problems, but we are of course very careful because of what happened with Dishonored 2. So we wanted to make sure the PC version of Prey is good."

"We have always developed our games on PC, we're PC developers. The thing on PC though, sometimes it's just the wrong timing. The drivers just came out at the same time as your game, or the hardware combinations out there are so numerous that we can't test absolutely everything and sometimes that's just what it is. Bad timing, bad luck. But we've worked on it a lot. I'm not saying there won't be any problem at all, but I'm pretty confident right now."
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

gbasden wrote:Not me. System Shock for a new generation means day 1 purchase.
I played the console demo (although I purchased for the PC, because I prefer mouse control in FPS) and I have to say it has a REAL System Shock 2 vibe. As Grif said, there are a lot of callbacks to SS2 - your very first weapon is a wrench and you wind up getting "calls" from a disembodied voice called January who wants to help you. Greenmangaming has 20% off of the game, so I figure $47 is a pretty good entry price. Like others here, I do hope that the PC version will not be marred with issues, but the price difference from the PS4 version, the difference in control schemes, and the fact that the text is much smaller (and farther away) on my TV makes the PC version more attractive at the outset.

The first hour is pretty thrilling. I do not think it is a spoiler (since they are part of the trailers) to talk about the mimics - the ropey black ooze aliens that can look like normal objects. The evoke the same sort of visceral terror as head crabs and face huggers in many ways. The fact that they can look like other items had me whacking suspicious chairs, mugs, trees, file folders, really whatever... with my wrench as I walked around. The game music sort of telegraphs their presence, which is a little annoying, but the AI seems to be good about having them run away and morph. Obviously these are only the first tier enemies, and the game hints at some larger and more interesting aliens to come.
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Yes, this is very much like System Shock. I like it :)