Kickstarter and other crowdfunding platforms

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Lordnine

Re: Kickstarter 2017

Post by Lordnine »

1vs4 are quite fun if you have the right group. It's actually one of my favorite genres but at this point I have Mansions of Madness, Imperial Assault, The Others and Conan. The designer has been saying that he took extra strides to make this one a full on competitive game instead of a pure dungeon master experience. The adversary has to deal with resource management and certain elements of the game from both sides are done in secret to keep everyone guessing.

I've been following the stretch goals and it has some of the strangest miniatures I've ever seen.

Enlarge Image

Enlarge Image
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Lordnine wrote:1vs4 are quite fun if you have the right group. It's actually one of my favorite genres but at this point I have Mansions of Madness, Imperial Assault, The Others and Conan. The designer has been saying that he took extra strides to make this one a full on competitive game instead of a pure dungeon master experience. The adversary has to deal with resource management and certain elements of the game from both sides are done in secret to keep everyone guessing.
I like a few 1vMany games, but have only played one dungeon mastery one, Level 7: Omega Protocol. I really liked it and could see myself playing the DM, but not having a regular game group it just didn't seem like a great purchase. On the other hand, Letters from Whitechapel, Last Friday and Escape from Colditz are all very cool.Two of the three are hidden movement, so a different category.

CMON and I have broken up. I like their games, I just don't get to play them enough. I have probably given them more than $1k over the past 5 years, with little to show for it. Lesson learned.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

I like the concept of 1 vs many games... I do... but in practice I only get to play as the one.

In my game group there are basically two of us that introduce the games and read the rules. Everyone else may be very into the game actually but they generally just learn the rules from us and don't do research to introduce new games. In other words 2 of us do the work to actually play the games the rest show up for the fun. I don't mind it because I like learning rules and teaching, and I like being able to introduce the games I want to play, so normally it works out very well. The glaring exception is 1 vs many games. If you introduce the game and the rules you are the one who ends up being the one... every single time. I own a couple, and sometimes I will bust those out and play them, but normally I just pass on them. I have imperial assault and every expansion because I love star wars but it doesn't get played as much as it would if it were true cooperative. For one thing I am sick of always being the imperials.

The better solution in my opinion is what Fantasy Flight has started doing, app driven games. Mansions of Madness second edition and Descent both have this. So you can play the game 1 vs many if you would like, or, you can make it true cooperative and let the app control it. It works well, and it improves the game in my opinion. They are creating an app for imperial assault, I cannot wait to play it. That game will likely go from an occasional play to a very frequent play.

Alright in other news...

I know we have some Railways of the World fans here.

Railways of Nippon is up now on Kickstarter. I really like the way they are doing this campaign. They are selling it both as a base game for those who are new to the series (and if you have not played it I highly recommend it, it is a fantastic series of games, among the best rail games out there, and easier to introduce than Steam or Age of Steam, although those are excellent games as well. But this kickstarter gives you the chance to jump in and not need to buy the base game, and this map looks more balanced than the US map which normally comes with the base game. So it looks like a good starting point to me.

But for those of us who already have some or all of the railways of the world collection you can get just the cards, map, and scoring track you need to play nippon. Very cool! I'm impressed with that approach. Best of both worlds.

Also there is an option for metal coins... I love metal coins and the paper money in ROTW is a serious annoyance to me. Normally I just use poker chips but I'll probably grab these coins.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Chrisoc13 wrote:I like the concept of 1 vs many games... I do... but in practice I only get to play as the one.
Whoever owns the game inevitably becomes the "one" in that formula every time you play. At least in my years of experience with gaming groups that play multiple games over time. That turned me off Descent 2nd edition, even though it was a great game. It wasn't until they added the co-op version via the app that I returned.
Covfefe!
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

The only 1 vs many game I really liked was Fury of Dracula. Actually, FoD feels more like many vs 1, now that I think about it. I really wanted to like games like Descent and Imperial Assault, but (since I was always playing as the 1 vs their Many) I always felt like I was beating up on them and that just wasn't fun for me. I guess it's the inherent gamemaster in me.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

hentzau wrote:The only 1 vs many game I really liked was Fury of Dracula. Actually, FoD feels more like many vs 1, now that I think about it. I really wanted to like games like Descent and Imperial Assault, but (since I was always playing as the 1 vs their Many) I always felt like I was beating up on them and that just wasn't fun for me. I guess it's the inherent gamemaster in me.
Yup that's another issue. I end up playing the game in a way to make it fun for them, you know close but not always pulling out all the stops. Even in games like Imperial Assault where you are supposed to be able to play all-out, I tend to not do so.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

FoD was way too fiddly for me. Too much time having to mine item decks like Arkham Horror for my taste. Letters from Whitechapel gives you all of the battle of wits with no randomness. If you want to add fiddly bits, I'd recommend The Last Friday before Fury of Dracula.

If I want to run all over the continent trying to collect bits in order to murder someone, I'd play Black Orchestra.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

hepcat wrote:
Chrisoc13 wrote:I like the concept of 1 vs many games... I do... but in practice I only get to play as the one.
Whoever owns the game inevitably becomes the "one" in that formula every time you play. At least in my years of experience with gaming groups that play multiple games over time.
This is one area where I think “The Others”, also by CMON, got it right. The rules are straightforward enough and setup contains no hidden information, so it’s pretty easy for someone else to stand in for the “Game Master”. It’s also highly competitive meaning the GM really can’t pull any punches or they will lose hard. We’ve played it I think seven times and I’ve had other people be the bad guy about half of those times. It also helps that including setup, the whole game lasts about 90 minutes.

All that said, I would personally still play something like Imperial Assault because I think the overall experience is slightly better, but The Others definitely fills a niche I can approve of. I assume Smog will be similar.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

A not so Tiny Epic Game? Heroes of Land, Air & Sea. I know there are some fans here.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Lordnine wrote:A not so Tiny Epic Game? Heroes of Land, Air & Sea. I know there are some fans here.
Yeah, I looked. $100 for the base game? I don't think so. I like his games enough, but for that $100 I can get 1.5 new pirate ships!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

hentzau wrote:
Lordnine wrote:A not so Tiny Epic Game? Heroes of Land, Air & Sea. I know there are some fans here.
Yeah, I looked. $100 for the base game? I don't think so. I like his games enough, but for that $100 I can get 1.5 new pirate ships!

They relaunched it today after cancelling it. I think I'm still out though. Doesn't grab me and the price is still higher than I want especially without miniatures.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Yeah, I'm still out. I may have finally hit Kickstarter fatigue.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

hentzau wrote:Yeah, I'm still out. I may have finally hit Kickstarter fatigue.
me too. I just don't have much interest in a non-known entity.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Well, they aren't exactly a nonentity. Every single one of their games that I have backed have been delivered on time, with great quality. And I enjoy their games as great filler games, Scott Almes does some good work. So those things aren't holding me back. I'm just not grabbed by the gameplay/theme. Plus, cost.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

hentzau wrote:Well, they aren't exactly a nonentity. Every single one of their games that I have backed have been delivered on time, with great quality. And I enjoy their games as great filler games, Scott Almes does some good work. So those things aren't holding me back. I'm just not grabbed by the gameplay/theme. Plus, cost.
I meant the game in particular. I've backed almost every tiny epic game. I think they do a good job but I find the games just pretty OK for a good price and footprint. Raise the price and footprint and it's pretty meh for me. So I will take a chance on their tiny epic games sure to the price but this game is an unknown entity... At a high price... I'll pass
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

I am interested in the idea (although it clearly is ripping off Warcraft) and I like that it is a 4X game that can be played in 1-2 hours. I still need to read the rules or watch the playthrough before I would commit that type of money.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Well I guess it just takes the right idea to get me interested in kickstarters.

Tortuga 1667 looks interesting to me. High production quality, cool theme and art, great price point, and looks like some fun game play.

My only reservation is that they have only delivered one game before, which is basically werewolf. But that being said I am going to give this a try I think. I can stomach $23 on an untested company.

hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Chrisoc13 wrote:
hentzau wrote:

They relaunched it today after cancelling it. I think I'm still out though. Doesn't grab me and the price is still higher than I want especially without miniatures.
And, they cancelled again, are going to retool the entire campaign to try and bring it in at a lower price point, and relaunch in May.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

They had raised $260,000. How much more money do they really think they are going to bring in? At this point it just seems like they are going to aggravate people who were current supporters.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

Weird. Really weird. Doesn't bode well.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Not a KS, but it looks like several of you (glances at Hepcat) will finally be able to live out your dreams... :P

http://sodapopminiatures.com/preorders- ... -equestria

Enlarge Image
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It's not a dream if you live it every day, pal.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'll just leave this here as a plea to developers for a 2017 Kickstarter project: Telltale Games presents: Golden Girls
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I would prefer a tactical, turn based system for that.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Going up in 2 hours:
Starting at 9am (Pacific) Tuesday the 21st of February, the Kickstarter for Thunderstone Quest will go live!
Backers will have two Reward choices. The Adventurer Reward consists of the base game and one Quest. The Champion Reward adds two additional Quests. Both Rewards will include all unlocked Stretch Goals hit during the campaign.

We succeeded in our pre-launch goals and unlocked the Bandits of Blackrock, a 48 card Prologue that will be included in every Reward.

Our story begins just after the defeat of the Bandits. Many heroes have assembled at Thunderstone Keep and now seek further adventures. The Bandits had captured a mysterious young woman, Miricelle, who was rescued in the final battle. Rennard, elder of Thunderstone Keep has become her watchful guardian.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm very conflicted about that THUNDERSTONE Kickstarter. I really liked the original game and am kicking myself for not picking up the second edition before it went out of print. This sounds...different. I'll look, but my desire to KS games has mostly disappeared.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm not a fan of established companies using Kickstarter as a pre-order system, even if I have backed quite a few of these projects.

Also, this smacks of opportunism. It feels like they looked around, saw the success of games like Pathfinder ACG, Arkham Horror LCG, and the recent Gloomhaven and are just dusting off an old IP they can retool to fit into a current craze. While perfectly reasonable, it makes me worry that it will be rushed and half assed.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, it's live and already funded. $60 base pledge pre-order, with an estimated $10-15 to ship in March of 2018. Price feels...a bit high, though I guess it includes the first quest box so maybe it's not too bad.
Chrisoc13

Post by Chrisoc13 »

hepcat wrote:I'm not a fan of established companies using Kickstarter as a pre-order system, even if I have backed quite a few of these projects.

Also, this smacks of opportunism. It feels like they looked around, saw the success of games like Pathfinder ACG, Arkham Horror LCG, and the recent Gloomhaven and are just dusting off an old IP they can retool to fit into a current craze. While perfectly reasonable, it makes me worry that it will be rushed and half assed.
I've largely decided the same thing. Stopped backing games that are from established companies if I can help it. I've still backed a few but I don't like it.

I'm trying to use kickstarter for small companies or games that would be less likely to be made. Plus then they are less likely to charge huge sums for a million miniatures.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

No temptation for me. Thunderstone 1.0 underwhelmed and frustrated me. This adds nothing you can't find elsewhere. I'm happy to digest the Kickstarters I have or will receive soon.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Holy crap - Tragic twist for the disastrous Robotech Kickstarter as designer is driven to suicide by backers:
There’s no doubt that there are parties at fault in this whole debacle. Four years after the initial Kickstarter, Palladium Books have made a downright mess of things. Backers are angry, as they have every right to be. But to have lashed out at a game designer, to the point of driving him to suicide? That’s really, really messed up.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

People say and do what they want online simply because they can get away with it. No one knows who they are or where they live. Someday I see this changing with some real ID for online and needing a credit card or something. Wont be able to get away with being assholes so easy.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Just the clear, it seems he attempted suicide, but did not succeed. His wife found him in time. So while the story is still tragic, at least his suicide attempt wasn't successful.

P.S. Do NOT read the comments following the update with this story on the Kickstarter page for the project. I realize people can be vile, but Christ, some of those people aren't even human in my opinion.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

hepcat wrote:
P.S. Do NOT read the comments following the update with this story on the Kickstarter page for the project. I realize people can be vile, but Christ, some of those people aren't even human in my opinion.
I wish I'd read that warning before I followed the link. That was nauseating.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I probably should have edited my original post to clarify beyond what the article said. I was just so shocked at what I'd read, I couldn't even process it all. I knew about the Robotech KS from years ago and actually even heard people at the last gaming convention I attended (July of 2016) commenting on it. But yeah, just horrific. And I don't understand it in any way because you're not anonymous. You're a backer...with a KS account.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh I know how people can be online. Its like they are heartless...and maybe they are. So no I did not follow that link.

But did it say anything past the attempt was unsuccessful? He could be alive but be a vegetable or paralyzed or something.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It wasn't clear, but I think he's going to be okay (at least physically). But I doubt he'll go back to his love of game design any time soon. I have a feeling that's going to be a long and difficult road.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

For people that missed the Kingdom Death 1.5 KS a few months ago, you now have the potential to request a late pledge via the Kickstarter page...
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Smoove_B wrote:For people that missed the Kingdom Death 1.5 KS a few months ago, you now have the potential to request a late pledge via the Kickstarter page...
I was very tempted by this when it was still running.. The mini's look great, but the Dec 2020 ship date is something that stopped me. By the time the 4 years rolled around, I would have forgotten about it or may have been on a game hiatus...

Anyone actually play the original? Might have to look at some play videos, but that ship date still bothers me (Although I can appreciate them being honest about the ship time)
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This was a point of confusion from day one. The 2020 shipping date covers the scope of the KS project. By 2020 he plans to have all 12 (I think it was 12) of the new expansions shipped.

Reprints of the base game and current expansions are scheduled for delivery August/Sep/Oct of this year, not 2020.