Marvel Puzzle Quest

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Dramatist

Re: Marvel Puzzle Quest

Post by Dramatist »

Roster update at the start of a new season.

I'm up to 12 4* champions, seems I get at least a couple a season. Last season I added Kingpin and Miles Morales. I also championed 3* Dr. Strange and 3* Thanos (today).

I just got cover 13 for 4* Jean Grey so I'm sure she'll get some Iso-8 love soon although I'm out after championing Thanos.

I'm about to hit the halfway point on some 3* champions too, the rewards are getting very good.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:There is. We (Zaxxon?) will probably need to boot someone as I think we're full, but there usually are at least one or two people that haven't played in months.

On another note, Mr. Fantastic is the worst. Mine is level 170 5/4/4 and I haven't come close to beating Doom in today's 4* crash.
Any movement? Did anyone want to step out for a bit? I'm still solo-ing as I won't do the facebook sharing....
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Well the changes for the DDQ hit today. Not what I was hoping for. No real changes in the first 3 puzzles. They changed the 3 star battle to one wave of multiple mobs, so it made that portion a bit easier. The 4 star stayed the same and the new battle gives command points. That helps a little bit but I was really hoping for them to use this opportunity to loosen up on the 4 star choke point. So all in all, an improvement but it's a much smaller assist on 4 star heroes than I hoped it would be.
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

you know i log in once every 2 weeks or so, expecting to play. And i just dont....saw the gauntlet...got excited for a few moments, then had zero desire to play. Sooo...boot me if you need the room, though would like to stick around in case the urge strikes again. but the way its going...the urge is dormant...like hibernation dormant. So yeah boot me....if you have no other options.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

rshetts2 wrote:Well the changes for the DDQ hit today. Not what I was hoping for. No real changes in the first 3 puzzles. They changed the 3 star battle to one wave of multiple mobs, so it made that portion a bit easier. The 4 star stayed the same and the new battle gives command points. That helps a little bit but I was really hoping for them to use this opportunity to loosen up on the 4 star choke point. So all in all, an improvement but it's a much smaller assist on 4 star heroes than I hoped it would be.
Hmmm, I didn't look too closely other than to note the differences you mentioned.

None of it seemed particularly difficult and I know my roster is not anywhere near the strongest on our team. I did get a 4* from the last battle. Given that I didn't note anything overly difficult with the fight (I think you fight 1 3* opponent set to level 270) it felt like a free 4* card. If that's daily, that should help.

I should note that I have a decently strong old man logan and I use him to tank everything since he heals over 1k a turn. He only has 2 skills though so he's just there to eat damage (actually his match damage is pretty high as well) and I use whatever 3*'s are buffed at any particular time to spend AP on powers. So while I use a 4*, the bulk of my offense comes from 3*'s.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Newcastle wrote:you know i log in once every 2 weeks or so, expecting to play. And i just dont....saw the gauntlet...got excited for a few moments, then had zero desire to play. Sooo...boot me if you need the room, though would like to stick around in case the urge strikes again. but the way its going...the urge is dormant...like hibernation dormant. So yeah boot me....if you have no other options.
I don't think anyone is clamouring to get in. When I get my daily reward it tells me that we still have somewhere between 14 and 17 regular, daily players.

edit: Ah, I didn't see the request to join above. Let me read back a few posts and see what the deal is.

edit2: If you guys can ping me in game (i.e. just use the group chat) when we need to boot someone that would help. I log into the game every day, but I don't check this thread very often.

I'll send a pm to Ghengis here on OO to let him know we need space. Once I hear back I'll boot him. Anyone who wants to join will need to make the request in game. I don't believe there is a mechanism for actually inviting someone into it, so the request has to come from you.

The group is ooctopusoverlords (I think).
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm a bit disappointed in the changes as well. While more stuff is always good, 2 CP a day doesn't really change all that much. Plus, if I want to complete that node every day, I'll actually have to burn HP for roster spots on a bunch of 2*s.

We're well past the point where 4*s outnumber 3*s, so their reluctance to add a daily way to get a 4* cover is a bit frustrating.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm happy that my CP grind gets a lot less. I'll take a Legendary token every 10 days. :tjg:
It's almost as if people are the problem.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

I did get a 4* from the last battle. Given that I didn't note anything overly difficult with the fight (I think you fight 1 3* opponent set to level 270) it felt like a free 4* card. If that's daily, that should help.
Do different people get different opponents because my opponent today was a fully pumped 4* Wolverine and I have no way of beating that. Of course that's the usual for me. My 4* roster is not strong so I have never won a 4 star on the DDQ.

What sucks is I can't even do the new CP battle. I just recently sacrificed my Bullseye to open a slot for my new Mordo and Bullseye is a required character for the CP battle. Im pretty sure the assholes did that on purpose!
Well do you ever get the feeling that the story's too damn real and in the present tense?
Or that everybody's on the stage and it seems like you're the only person sitting in the audience?
persself

Post by persself »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:Plus, if I want to complete that node every day, I'll actually have to burn HP for roster spots on a bunch of 2*s.
Just found this out, too. And of course, I don't have the required Bullseye 2*.

And I was so happy to recently champion a few more 3*s , leaving only Strange and a couple other lowly 3*s , which I just might sell...Ragnarak for example.
Girl Gamer Extraordinaire-less/Redskins Fan
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Champing all 3*s leads to getting enough hero points to buy slots for all the 2*s which leads to even more hero points. My roster is at 114 and I'm always gaining hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

rshetts2 wrote:
I did get a 4* from the last battle. Given that I didn't note anything overly difficult with the fight (I think you fight 1 3* opponent set to level 270) it felt like a free 4* card. If that's daily, that should help.
Do different people get different opponents because my opponent today was a fully pumped 4* Wolverine and I have no way of beating that. Of course that's the usual for me. My 4* roster is not strong so I have never won a 4 star on the DDQ.

What sucks is I can't even do the new CP battle. I just recently sacrificed my Bullseye to open a slot for my new Mordo and Bullseye is a required character for the CP battle. Im pretty sure the assholes did that on purpose!
I could have been wrong about it being a 3*. The fight didn't give me any problems though, which is probably why I'm foggy on remembering.

Today's final fight is locked for me. I don't know why. I assume I don't have a required hero for it, but in other events you're allowed to at least look at the hero selection screen with the required hero space just being empty. I can't even do that, so if it *is* that I don't have a required hero, I can't tell for sure, and I can't tell which one I'm missing.

Any explanations?

Also I haven't heard from Ghengis so I'm going to boot him when I get home tonight. Anyone wanting to join the group should put in a request after about 7pm EST (assuming you can't do it while the group is full. I have no idea).
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Dramatist wrote:Champing all 3*s leads to getting enough hero points to buy slots for all the 2*s which leads to even more hero points. My roster is at 114 and I'm always gaining hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This. Better/smarter players than me explained that 2*'s are a free source of the occasional 3*, as well as iso and hero points. So much so that it's worth selling a maxed out 2* and restarting the whole process again from scratch.

So I've championed all but maybe 1 or 2 3*'s for the exact same reason. A good source of iso, HP and the occasional 4*. Including Ragnorak, who I hate as well as Sentinel, who was nerfed into oblivion and I never intended to level him again.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

GreenGoo wrote: Today's final fight is locked for me. I don't know why. I assume I don't have a required hero for it, but in other events you're allowed to at least look at the hero selection screen with the required hero space just being empty. I can't even do that, so if it *is* that I don't have a required hero, I can't tell for sure, and I can't tell which one I'm missing.

Any explanations?
That fight can only be done once a rotation (i.e. every five days). It's just like it was before except that now the node is there for all five days of the rotation rather than just on the last day.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
GreenGoo wrote: Today's final fight is locked for me. I don't know why. I assume I don't have a required hero for it, but in other events you're allowed to at least look at the hero selection screen with the required hero space just being empty. I can't even do that, so if it *is* that I don't have a required hero, I can't tell for sure, and I can't tell which one I'm missing.

Any explanations?
That fight can only be done once a rotation (i.e. every five days). It's just like it was before except that now the node is there for all five days of the rotation rather than just on the last day.
Thanks. Does the fight change daily? Or does it rotate on the previous schedule as well?

I guess what I'm asking is once it unlocks for me again, and maybe it's too tough, can I wait a day and have a different fight waiting for me? I could answer this question myself by looking tomorrow, but I'm hoping you guys already know.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

No - it's the same fight with the same required 4* for the full five days. That is, assuming you're talking about the node that rewards the legendary token.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Phil Coulson
He is a four-star character and his abilities are mostly surveying the battlefield and calling in the right type of backup while helping his team shine with advanced tech to gain more AP and utilize Countdown Tiles. This makes him a great fit for “Marvel Puzzle Quest” as a utility character who can help strengthen a team of heroes that do not share the same colors.

Agent Coulson’s first ability is called Call the Cavalry and costs 12 Yellow AP. With this ability Coulson surveys the situation and makes calls for backup. What this means for the player is at a low level he creates a one-turn Commander Countdown Tile that creates one Strength Tile. For higher levels he starts calling in more Countdown Tiles like a Sniper Tile that deals damage, a Spy Tile that deals damage to all enemies and at level five he creates two Commander Countdown Tiles. But wait, that’s not all! This ability has a Passive that gives the player one AP when any friendly Countdown Tile reaches zero and two AP for the same reason at level four.

Phil’s second power is Best-Laid Plans for eight Purple AP. This ability is designed around Agent Coulson’s ability to stay calm even when surrounded and things look horrible. The player gets to choose two red and/or green Basic Tiles to become Charged Tiles and then swap them. Increasing this power will give the player more Basic Tile colors to choose from and reducing the Countdown timer by two for any friendly Countdown Tiles. This ability also has a Passive that triggers if you make a match while you have six or more team-up AP. It spends two team-up AP to reduce a random friendly Countdown timer by one.

His last power is Super Secret S.H.I.E.L.D. Tech for 11 Blue AP. Based on another Agent Coulson characteristic, Coulson unleashes an advanced piece of tech, raising an eyebrow in mild surprise at its effectiveness. This ability steals random AP for each friendly Countdown Tile on the board. This power has a Passive as well that triggers whenever an ally player activates a power, which creates a two-turn Countdown Tile that deals damage. Increasing this ability’s level will give this ability more damage, reduce the two-turn Countdown for the passive to one-turn, and add more AP per friendly Countdown Tile.
Agent Coulson will be debuting in Deadpool vs. MPQ starting on Thursday, February 23. He will also be in the Vault for Venom Heroic, which starts on February 27 and there will be a Versus Tournament called Right Hand Man which will be happening on March 2.
Not complicated in the least.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:No - it's the same fight with the same required 4* for the full five days. That is, assuming you're talking about the node that rewards the legendary token.
I am. And thanks for the answer.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Pyperkub wrote:
Any movement? Did anyone want to step out for a bit? I'm still solo-ing as I won't do the facebook sharing....
Booted Ghengis so we've got room now. Send the request to Ooverlords.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I'm kinda disappointed in the DD update. I don't mind not getting a daily 4* cover (although I hope they do that at some point). I was hoping for significantly more Iso-8. As it stands now we get no extra Iso-8 except for three tokens which is a minimum of 600 Iso-8 a day. I'm always short on Iso-8.

I champed Mr. Fantastic and have been using him, Invisible Woman and Blade in the Shield Simulator, they make a pretty nice team. Invisible Woman puts out protect tiles with her yellow, Mr. Fantastic can put out protect tiles with his blue or Invisible Woman can put out strike tiles and Blade puts out strikes on red. Any time the enemy matches one of these tiles Mr. Fantastic heals and Invisible Woman gains 3 green for her nuke. It makes for a pretty powerful combo. I just wish I had a champ 4* that puts out quick special tiles.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

It's just like it was before except that now the node is there for all five days of the rotation rather than just on the last day.
This was something I didnt really understand. This does make it easier for those with weaker 4* rosters to get tokens. The key is that while your opponent doesn't change for 5 days, your hero with which to fight him does. This gives you a shot at the fight with 5 different heroes and hopefully one of them can manage the win. My first day I had a single cover hero with no chance but day two, I had a much better covered hero to go with. The opponent, 4* Wolvie had me out matched but I managed to get him down. That was my very first win on the DDQ 4*. It always seemed like the only heros selected for battle prior to this were my weakest ones, now at least I have a shot of getting one of my better heroes in play. We will see how this plays out in the future but for now it does give me a better shot at improving my 4* roster so, Im liking the update a bit more now rather than being meh about it.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm a bit confused. Did you not have to use Deadpool to fight Wolverine? My impression was that the node would be available for all five days of the cycle (until you beat it once), but no matter when you attempted that node you had to use Deadpool. Is that not the case?
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I'm a bit confused. Did you not have to use Deadpool to fight Wolverine? My impression was that the node would be available for all five days of the cycle (until you beat it once), but no matter when you attempted that node you had to use Deadpool. Is that not the case?
I cant remember what hero I got to use day one but it was one of my 1 cover 4's. Day 2 I got Deadpool and he has 5 covers and managed the win. Unless there was a bug on day one, it seems to me that they rotate. This is purely based on anecdotal evidence and its entirely possible I am misremembering.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The day before the revamp there was a 4* DDQ with a different character - Cho Hulk I think. Maybe it was that you had seen?
Black Lives Matter
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

That is entirely possible. I hope not though, I see no real reason to leave that battle open 5 days with the same hero in the fight. The chance of progressing that hero with covers over that 5 days is minor. And if you cant beat him on day one, why drag it out 5 days? Either way, we should probably know for sure next time it changes. If it doesnt rotate your hero daily, then I am back to meh on this. It really doesnt improve much.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

To induce you to spend resources, hopefully purchased with hard currency, to scale up said character to the point where you can beat him.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Isgrimnur wrote:To induce you to spend resources, hopefully purchased with hard currency, to scale up said character to the point where you can beat him.
This happened to me. I had a 9 cover, level 70 Deadpool, as the five days progressed I spent Iso-8 to raise him and try the challenge, I finally beat it on day four with a lvl 160 Deadpool. I didn't spend money, but I'm sure some people did.

Speaking of spending money... I don't get shield intercepts anymore. I hear that if I pay for VIP I will get the rewards for them again. Can anyone verify this?
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I think the lack of shield intercepts is unintentional (i.e. a bug). I've read that people with VIP are still getting them since they don't have the watch the ad, which seems to be what's causing the bug, but I can't verify that myself since I don't have VIP.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

What's a shield intercept?

Pyper, there's room on the team whenever you send a join request.
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

The "watch a video - get a little bonus" offers after completing a mission. My VIP time apparently just expired in the last couple days. I was getting the bonuses then.

I've had the glitch/bug thing happen at least once since my VIP time lapsed. No big deal to me though.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Hmmm. I have never been a VIP and have not noticed any interruption in my "watch ad - get bonus".
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

So what do you guys think about bonus heroes and vaulting? Seems the official forums are in a tizzy about the vaulting. I'm in a wait and see mode. On one hand it's nice to have fewer possible draws of 4*s to cover them faster, on the other it's going to slow progress on all the older 4*s that aren't fully covered.

I decided to favorite 5* OML (I'm sure most everyone will do this), 4* Iceman (mine has 12 covers) and for 3* I did Dr. Strange but I'm thinking about changing it to Daken. I originally thought Dr. Strange because he's so useful and lower level than all my other 3*s except Thanos, but I'm thinking that maybe I would do Daken because he's my highest 3* at level 217 and the rewards are starting to become very good with 4* covers and legendary tokens coming soon.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I understand the outrage. The changes mean that it will be much harder to either fully cover older 4*s or add champion levels to ones already covered. What's the point of having champions if you'll rarely get covers for them? The best suggestion I've heard is that the 12 newest 4*s should be in the Latest Legends token while the other 30 4*s should be in the Classic Legends tokens. That way you can more specifically shoot for the characters you need. Bonus heroes is a good idea, but latching this vaulting of the majority of 4*s to that change has unfortunately made the whole thing look bad.

I favorited 3* Thanos and Dr. Strange as they are the only 3*s I don't have fully covered. I've gotten one bonus so far, but unfortunately it was for a Thanos cover I couldn't use.
Black Lives Matter
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I play the game so robotically that I wouldn't even notice the change if it wasn't explained to me. I should probably care, but I don't, really. The covers come at random and I use them at random. If they come less than efficiently for my roster, oh well.

I'm sorry that it reduces the enjoyment for other people. That sucks.
Newcastle

Post by Newcastle »

GreenGoo wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
Hey when this comes up again, feel free to boot me, i dont see myself coming back to MPQ. I've not played in ages and would hate to deny an active player a spot in such a cozy alliance.
Bayraktar!!!!

Trump and the GOP; putting the banana in our Republic.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Newcastle wrote:
GreenGoo wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:
Hey when this comes up again, feel free to boot me, i dont see myself coming back to MPQ. I've not played in ages and would hate to deny an active player a spot in such a cozy alliance.
I'll keep that in mind. Right now we're sitting with one empty slot, so there is no rush to boot you.

I think Zax is the other person with administrative access to the group, so if I'm not around people can talk to him.
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I understand the outrage. The changes mean that it will be much harder to either fully cover older 4*s or add champion levels to ones already covered. What's the point of having champions if you'll rarely get covers for them? The best suggestion I've heard is that the 12 newest 4*s should be in the Latest Legends token while the other 30 4*s should be in the Classic Legends tokens. That way you can more specifically shoot for the characters you need. Bonus heroes is a good idea, but latching this vaulting of the majority of 4*s to that change has unfortunately made the whole thing look bad.

I favorited 3* Thanos and Dr. Strange as they are the only 3*s I don't have fully covered. I've gotten one bonus so far, but unfortunately it was for a Thanos cover I couldn't use.
Hopefully you'll get a useable Thanos soon and can use the other for a champ level.

This game has me obsessing about it. If this change sticks it's just going to take some adjusting. I have been championing 4*s as I get covers and Iso-8 and I've been making slow, steady progress with the 4* transition. I have 13 4* champions with another only 60k Iso away. Because of the extreme randomness of cover draws I didn't get to pick and choose which 4*s to champion I was just following luck of the draw with the tiniest bit of strategy based around getting a 4* about every 15 days in the daily resupply.

I now have to focus on the 12 4*s that will be in most of my draws. Official forum consensus is that the 2 oldest of these 12 (Kate Bishop and Moon Knight) will be removed at the start of next season and be replaced by Mordo and Agent Coulson. These 12 heroes are mostly low covered and level 70. This is because getting covers for new 4* heroes has always been a very slow process (like the character is released, maybe it will be useful to me in 8 months, maybe not). This should speed this up exponentially at the cost of much less covers for the older 4*s. Some of this is cool because I have the hope of championing Peggy Carter, Captain Marvel and Medusa which by all accounts are top tier 4*s. Some is sad because I now have very little hope of eventually having a good Nova or Quake (both with 6 covers).

I think it would be a very good thing to make another token that has the old heroes in it.

The 3* thing does not bother me as they are all champ levels to me, for others they still appear in the DD once every 42 days.
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I have a single 4* champion. Invisible Woman.

Go me.

I don't have a single other 4* fully covered, although a few are close, I guess.
rshetts2

Post by rshetts2 »

Youre ahead of me. I have zero champed 4*s but the one thats close is of course Invisible Woman.

I just wanted to say that Dr. Strange, Iron Fist and Black Panther make a kick ass combo.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

rshetts2 wrote:Youre ahead of me. I have zero champed 4*s but the one thats close is of course Invisible Woman.

I just wanted to say that Dr. Strange, Iron Fist and Black Panther make a kick ass combo.
I've been enjoying the Daredevil/Luke Cage/Iron Fist combo quite a bit. Lots of synergy, and thematically, they make sense!!!
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire