Rise of the Tomb Raider

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

IceBear

Re: Rise of the Tomb Raider

Post by IceBear »

Grifman wrote:Great game, I'd rate it just a bit lower than the first one:

1) More tomb raiding (which was fun) but less combat, which I enjoy, so I missed that aspect (though I know some TR fans hate the increased emphasis on combat so YMMV)

2) Much less QTE's, actually only one I can think of.

3) Biggest problem is pacing. Trinity is almost ready to seize the mcguffin, I'm pushing towards the end, my allies are advancing, urging me on, Lara even says time is urgent, and game dumps me into an ancient city with 4 challenges, a tomb, a crypt and tons of stuff to collect. Given I still have skills and weapons I want to upgrade, it's kind of hard to ignore. They should keep these things in hubs where you aren't being pushed. They definitely shouldn't have put this city here or put this stuff in the city - it really interrupts the flow of the story.

Still looking for the sequel though. Stay for the end of the credits and "continue" the game after the end of story and you'll get some additional treats/exposition.
Pretty much my thoughts....really liked it but maybe not quite on par with the first. That pacing stuff really didn't bother me as it's completely optional and pretty much every game has that same issue (the story might sound urgent but there's still tons of side stuff to do and if you do them it doesn't impact the main story). Maybe someday games will start punishing players for dragging their feet but they'll need to be careful not to annoy people who like to collect.

I was one of those that wanted more tombs to explorer in the first but in this one I would have liked some more combat too
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

They could have easily handled the pacing better at that last city by a few messages from Sophia. She could have radioed that they have Trinity under observation and that they seem to be having trouble breaking though. Therefore she has time to send for further reinforcements for the final push, and it looks like you have time for further preparation. A simple message like that would have done wonders at that point in the story.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
IceBear

Post by IceBear »

Grifman wrote:They could have easily handled the pacing better at that last city by a few messages from Sophia. She could have radioed that they have Trinity under observation and that they seem to be having trouble breaking though. Therefore she has time to send for further reinforcements for the final push, and it looks like you have time for further preparation. A simple message like that would have done wonders at that point in the story.
I understand what you're saying but I guess I am just jaded from all the other games that also has poor pacing design like this (that and at that point I was rushing to get done in time for xcom2 so I just worked on the main story and didn't bother with the upgrades)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Fired this up and ran the benchmark. I cant remember the places it listed but in the benchmark for frame per second from top to bottom listing I got 52, 40, 41 with all of it averaging out to 45 fps. I feel thats not bad at all for HIGH. I would set it to ULTRA but it says I need over 4 gigs of video memory . I may try it anyways and see what happens. My video card...a GTX 770...only has 2 gig. Ya I know I shoulda got the 4gig but I said "why?"..now I know. Im not sure if it just wont run or if it will take the rest it needs from ram...which would be great because i have 16 gig of that :)

EDIT: Well ok then. It ran ...badly. I didn't notice any stuttering but the benchmark says 42, 19, 16 and average 26 :) . But I could see a lot of snow blowing which I didn't before and more effects like fog and steam. Ill try to play it at the highest settings and if that drives me crazy or gets me killed then Ill have to lower it.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive got 15 gifts it came with from the start. Should I just go ahead and open them all now at the beginning?

Also it shows I own all the outfits and stuff but I have no clue how to change Lara's clothing.

Lastly Lara seems so dense sometimes that I think for the entirety of the game I shall call her Dum Dum.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

No reason to not open them and you may own enough for a trophy once you do. They're not used during the campaign but are part of the other modes available. And you change her clothes when camping, same option where you upgrade weapons and the like. All the way over to the right from what I recall.
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok ty. Found the clothes actually help with some bonuses. Thats cool. Gives me a reason to change. In the previous game I just picked a cool one and wore it the entire game even though I had others.

I know its done to move the plot along but they sure do make Lara seem like a dimwit. A guy steals her very important book and is standing there and Lara has a gun on him. Me I would shoot him. But not Lara. No she stands there with the guy by a window with her very important book and tells him to drop it...drop it. He yells some nonsense about you cant stop us and jumps out the window. THEN and only then does Lara pop off 2 shots...at the broken window. It was as if she was lagged. Sigh.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Think that says more about you than her. :wink:
-mf
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

MonkeyFinger wrote:Think that says more about you than her. :wink:
In his defense, Lara murders hundreds of people throughout the course of the game. The fact that she would hesitate on that one in particular seems very out of character.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Skinypupy wrote:
In his defense, Lara murders hundreds of people throughout the course of the game. The fact that she would hesitate on that one in particular seems very out of character.
Well aware of that, just having a bit o' fun with the "dimwit" comment.
-mf
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Skinypupy wrote:
"Kill" /= "murder" :wink:
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh God Im such an animal wuss. I hate to kill animals in games sometimes. But in games like this and the Far Cry series I need to to craft new items that I really need. Like quivers to carry more arrows and such. I have no problem killing the people. But this game is hurting me to play. I shoot a deer to get hide and it starts mew'n and squeaking and crying and then it limps and hobbles away from me. And it doesn't stop until I shoot it enough to kill it. ARGH. Its really hurting me to do this. I had to save and quit. Im not sure I can do it. I mean I will ..I have to....but many breaks are in my play future I foresee. .

Im playing Far Cry Primal at the same time. In it killing the animals is nothing. But its so much more real in Tomb Raider. They really worked on them in here. I know how a deer in real life sounds when shot ...its truly truly horrible and mentally hurting. Its really close to that. Not quiet there thank god. In real life they taste great..in game its just for a quiver or a cap lol.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

One of the skills you can acquire is the ability to "see" and thus target their hearts. Just say'n. At least then it's a one shot kill.... and an eventual trophy if you do it enough times. :(
-mf
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

So I just got this through Humble Bundle. The last one was pretty amazing. I'm pretty excited to start this one.

I promise I won't complain about every little thing, but here's a couple :D

I live in Canada. I wear a -40C rated jacket just waiting for the bus. I don't need it, and lots of people like to stand around in the snow in a suit jacket, but they're cold. Lara is wearing tight cotton pants, a form fitting thin winter jacket (and it's OPEN at the throat), no hat and skin tight gloves while she limps through the snow. It's like she's trying to die. None of this would make any difference whatsoever if they hadn't done such a good job convincing me she's a real person doing real things.

This talking outloud to herself is too melodramatic for me. I find myself answering her rhetorical statements with ridicule to entertain myself.

And that's it. I can tell I'm going to really enjoy myself with this one as I did with the last. Just put on some damn winter clothes and cut vocalizing your thoughts by about 50%. We'll be fine.

Oh, lastly, Trinity is the female lead in the Matrix. Stop saying Trinity, it's breaking the immersion.
Last edited by GreenGoo on Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I switched her to the blue henley after she fell off of the mountain, for extra freezing goodness.

No this is not a goddamn spoiler it happens in the first 15 minutes of the game, during the tutorial.

P.S. I noticed she likes to adjust her pony tail a lot. Like, nearing OCD levels. Must be an unconscious stress tick.
There is no hug button. Sad!
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

killbot737 wrote:I switched her to the blue henley after she fell off of the mountain, for extra freezing goodness.

No this is not a goddamn spoiler it happens in the first 15 minutes of the game, during the tutorial.

P.S. I noticed she likes to adjust her pony tail a lot. Like, nearing OCD levels. Must be an unconscious stress tick.
I almost put the henley on out of spite as well. Instead I went with the white jacket so if anyone comes looking for my body, they won't find it.

Every time she gets out of the water, she's got to wring the water from her hair. So far I haven't had to speak to her about it.

The graphics are pretty amazing in this game. Her facial expressions and eyes when she's at camp are incredibly well done.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Missed whatever I was supposed to do after "B" with the bear. That was more realistically gruesome than I expected.

You know how hard games were in the old days? Nothing was spoon fed to you, you had to make actual paper maps to find your way around. But here we are in the new days. The game has built in map, and if looking around is a problem, just hit a button and now things light up. And if that's a problem, we'll put all the points of interest on the map for you. And if that's a problem, just put a waypoint on the map and we'll light that spot up like a christmas tree for you.

Can I just say thank god the old days are dead and buried.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The end of that post was a twist worthy of M. Night Shyamalan.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I cant play much in this day...well this day because my internet keeps going off and on. In the old days I could buy a game and install it and play it anytime I wanted. Now my net has to comply. Its always there in the back ground...do you own this? do you own this? do you own this? do you own this? do you own this? do you own this?. And if the net is out theres no way to play any game Ive bought in 10+ years.
killbot737

Post by killbot737 »

I'm nearly at the end of the game and I don't get the card mechanic. Is that an online deal? I got a bunch for doing in-game stuff but I don't see a way to use them in the (single player) campaign.

If it's a multiplayer thing please ooze effluence out of whatever orifice is most pleasant for you, then tell me that I'm a carebear.

Sorry I really can't stand online squeakers, and I know everybody here is mostly middle aged, but the online immaturity mentality is just too prevalent for me not to preemptively snark against it.
There is no hug button. Sad!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

They are not for the single player campaign. It's been awhile but I seem to recall there being "challenges" and you can use the cards there to get advantages and disadvantages, adjusting the reward up and down... but I don't recall if they were do-able solo. I don't do multi and think I just ended up futzing with them after completing the campaign but not doing anything significant with them.
-mf
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I also have no idea what the cards are, but I haven't started to focus on the game yet.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

-mf
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Thanks. Will check it out.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well Ive restarted. Ive completely started again...no old save start. Im instantly struck by the same two old thoughts.

1. You dumb ass Lara you could have simply flown into that ruin with a helicopter instead of climbing a deadly mountain in a snow storm.
&
2. You could have shot the guy instantly but you just stood there until he jumped out the window with your book THEN you shoot at him.

A 3rd smaller thought also hit me...Why oh why do you start blabbing everything you know to people?? That never ends well in this type stuff.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

My first thought as she climbed the wintery mountain side is that this would have made a difficult commute for the people in the city.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive thought that at times too. "How did they get there in the old days when it was new??"
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Daehawk wrote:Ive thought that at times too. "How did they get there in the old days when it was new??"
Building materials, food, water, these are the things you think about if you're a civil engineer, or, like me (and you too I think) a former DM.

I made an underground aztec pyramid completely covered in green slimes, black puddings and gelatinous cubes when I was ten. By the time I was 12-13, I couldn't have a dungeon without elaborate aqueducts providing drinking water to the monsters, as well as multiple ways to access enough food to support the population.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's an action movie disguised by a video game. Try not to overthink it and have fun. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote:It's an action movie disguised by a video game. Try not to overthink it and have fun. :D
I'm just waiting for Atlantis to be discovered on the moon.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Maybe consider playing Wolfenstein the New Order? :D
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote:Maybe consider playing Wolfenstein the New Order? :D
SPOILER!

Seriously, are you serious? I'm actually in the middle of my first play through, but it and I are "on a break".

Don't tell me.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm just throwing it out there. Who knows what type of magical adventures you might have? Seriously though, the two new Wolfenstein games were way more fun than I thought they'd be. Total action movie popcorn fun.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm just throwing it out there. Who knows what type of magical adventures you might have? Seriously though, the two new Wolfenstein games were way more fun than I thought they'd be. Total action movie popcorn fun.
I got derailed by a whole bunch of stuff that I liked better (I guess? I mean, I changed games, so I must have?). My plan is to get back to it, but that's been my plan for everything from the very beginning. I'm just a few games away from getting back to the original Baldur's Gate, for example.

ps. I chose Baldur's gate instead of something older because I really am under the delusion that I will play Baldur's Gate through to completion sometime in the future. Even though I KNOW I won't. Still though...Baldur's Gate.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Here's the quote I have on my desk, right under my monitor:
Better not to begin. Once you begin, better to finish it.
I've found it helpful.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Words of wisdom that I will ignore completely.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I agree... unless it gets hard, then give up and pick a new hobby.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Good Lord could the Prophet hunter from the past write any more notes and leave them laying around!? You cant walk 500 feet without finding one. Was like he had nothing better to do.

Wish i could kill that stupid girl who threatened me. Would be so much simpler if you could just play a game like you wanted. Lara turned her back and kept rambling away. I knew the girl would be gone but the devs just had to make Lara appear so stupid I guess.
Last edited by Daehawk on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Smoove_B wrote:Here's the quote I have on my desk, right under my monitor:
Better not to begin. Once you begin, better to finish it.
I've found it helpful.
I'm glad it's helpful for you but this thread isn't about internet porn habits.