Ghost Recon Wildlands

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Ghost Recon Wildlands

Post by Daehawk »

http://ghost-recon.ubisoft.com/wildlands/en-us/home/

I signed up. Wont hear anything for a bit yet it seems.
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands beta signups open

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote:http://ghost-recon.ubisoft.com/wildlands/en-us/home/

I signed up. Wont hear anything for a bit yet it seems.
Thanks for posting this. I've been in the several Ubisoft beta programs (The Crew, R6 Siege, The Division) and enjoyed the experience. I never did pull the trigger on any of them (although I got The Crew when it was free) but this might be the one.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Brian

Post by Brian »

Haven't heard anything regarding the Beta on this one yet. Did anybody get in?

Once this becomes available, do we have enough people interested in forming a (semi)regular group for playing this?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I'm still waiting for a beta invite and while I can't commit to anything, I would like to try to meet up when I can.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Not got an invite to this or For Honor. Used to get invited to everything but seems that time is gone. Plus not much time until late next week for games.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Open Beta starts next weekend.

PreLoad available 2/21/17 and then the Open Beta runs from 2/23 through 2/27

Anybody interested in getting a group together?
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Baring unforeseen circumstances I should be playing on the weekend.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The open beta preload is active on Steam as well as Uplay. The download is about 24Gbytes.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Pre-loaded and ready to be disappointed. I pre-ordered a couple months back, saw the impressions from the closed beta from a single player perspective and cancelled the pre-order. Part of the reason was that I didn't need another game to play, but now the Long War is over and Sniper Elite 4 is going fast... so maybe I can squeeze it in if the open beta impresses.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

Downloading now.

I'm basically expecting this to be The Division in Bolivia (or where ever this is set) without the character leveling system.

Which is fine with me as I enjoyed playing the Division well enough. However, given some of the play videos I've seen from several sources, I will likely only pick this up when it goes on sale.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Brian wrote:I'm basically expecting this to be The Division in Bolivia (or where ever this is set) without the character leveling system.

Which is fine with me as I enjoyed playing the Division well enough. However, given some of the play videos I've seen from several sources, I will likely only pick this up when it goes on sale.
The one thing that puts it above The Division for me is that I hear there are no bullet sponges. I want you to die when I headshot you and vice versa.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

Exactly. Since The Division is basically an RPG shooter with leveling mechanics and Wildlands is not, there's no need for leveled enemies and all the silly sponginess that accompanies that.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I probably won't be able to get any time with this tonight so hopefully somebody can give it a shot and post impressions.

Will try getting some time tomorrow night.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I got as far as creating my character this morning. It's kind of like The Division.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Playing on the PC my rig (Intel i7 4770K 3.5GHz, 16GB RAM, GTX 780 3GB, Win7 64bit Home Premium, 480GB SSD main drive) isn't up to the task of running the game at full prettiness and full performance. The game defaults to High graphics, but that only allows me to pull 30 fps and the game just doesn't feel right at that frame rate. I tried Medium but the fps wasn't changed. I switched to Low graphics (welcome to 2009!) and while it does look a bit ugly, I'm used to that level of graphics (think Fallout 3) and I'm getting a solid 60 fps and the game plays much nicer.

The bad? Driving is sucky, but really, driving is just getting from here to there and after a while you can fast travel anyway. Flying the chopper is tricky, but really it's OK once you put in some time on it. The bad guy AI is pretty sad, but then I wasn't really expecting Far Cry level of opponents anyway.

The good? The friendly AI is pretty decent (I'm playing solo) and they are a help, not a hindrance. Combat feels right and thank goodness we don't have the bullet sponges of The Division. And even in Low graphics it is a pretty amazing map.

Otherwise? Enemy reinforcements have shown up when I'm attacking a location, they are spawning but they do arrive by road which seems logical. They pretty much walk right into a firefight without much subtlety, but they do at least try to spread out a bit and take cover. The collectables are very much like many Ubisoft games (and GTA and many others) but so far at least they have felt like they fit in to the locale.

I'm pretty happy with what I've seen. I'll play some more this weekend but I'm pretty sure I'll be pre-ordering through GMG.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Brian

Post by Brian »

Anybody available for teaming up? I should be available Friday night and pretty much all day Saturday.

UPLay Club ID: Amish_Warlord
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote:I got as far as creating my character this morning. It's kind of like The Division.
I did everything there was to do in the easy area last night and moved on to the other area this morning. Yeah, that's a little more intense. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I pretty much only use my squad-mates for synch shots. Having them each take out a guy when I take one down makes things more manageable. Once in a while they kill guys and they revive me so that's cool. I don't expect much more out of them. Also once I learned you don't have to wait for your squaddies to get in the car/truck/helo whatever it got better. I assume in the full game you are less likely to go straight from a 1 skull zone to a 5 skull zone and you'll have a more smooth transition.

I didn't have any problems with controls for cars or helos with the keyboard. The plane was a bit problematic. Hopefully there won't be much need for using them. :P
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Brian

Post by Brian »

I played around a bit yesterday afternoon and this morning. Didn't get very far in the limited time I spent with it but the vehicle controls with K/M are super floaty and bouncy. I'll try again with a controller to see if it's any different.

I definitely need to get a better handle on the controls. I'm constantly interrupting firefights to figure out what key I need for a specific action and I'm terrible at giving commands to the AI units.

Also, a more realistic ammo carrying capacity has definitely bitten me in the ass a couple times as I've suddenly found myself with no ammo for my rifle right in the middle of a fight.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Played for a while last night with a couple of my buddies, and with Blackjack for a bit too, and had a blast.

Despite a few surface similarities it's really not like Division at all. It's got much more realistic action (i.e. it's much easier to die if you get shot), it's far more open world, equipment is less important to how effective you are, levels and skills generally give you access to more and better equipment, there are vehicles, among other things.

The real fun is in the flexibility it gives you. You're on a huge open world map and you're free to approach a new mission however you want... steal a gunship and insert by parachute, find some nearby high ground and snipe the target, free captured rebels for a distraction as you attack, fly in an explosive drone to take out the bases generator and attack under cover of darkness, etc.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

One thing that I wish they had copied from The Division is the cover system. More than half the time that I'm trying to fire from cover, I just end up aiming into whatever I'm trying to use for cover instead of over or around it. I have no idea whether it's bugged or working as intended or if I'm just not doing it correctly.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Max Peck wrote:One thing that I wish they had copied from The Division is the cover system. More than half the time that I'm trying to fire from cover, I just end up aiming into whatever I'm trying to use for cover instead of over or around it. I have no idea whether it's bugged or working as intended or if I'm just not doing it correctly.
It seemed to have a few issues for me if I tried to shoot over or around cover, but for the most part it looked like if I crouched near an object my guy would automatically press up against it, and I could maneuver to shoot fine with a little effort. It's not quite as easy to use as the cover system in Division, but it does feel more organic (i.e. no having to lock yourself into cover, just go near and use it).

I did find myself slicing the pie around corners more than using cover in a lot of cases though fwiw.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My solo time last night was playing the radio transmitter about half a dozen times, as I either ended up dead, or with the transmitter blown.

My MP time can be attributed to Drifter and Owain as to how bad I am. At the moment, my inclination is to wait for the inevitable PC sale after I've upgraded my rig and play it SP only.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I grabbed it on PS4 last night but missed playing because I couldn't remember my Ubi password and was too tired to bother.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Isgrimnur wrote:My solo time last night was playing the radio transmitter about half a dozen times, as I either ended up dead, or with the transmitter blown.

My MP time can be attributed to Drifter and Owain as to how bad I am. At the moment, my inclination is to wait for the inevitable PC sale after I've upgraded my rig and play it SP only.
If you mean the one right near the beginning of the game that is on a cart right next to a small building, what I did is to run to the church on the hill right behind it so that I had the high ground and if obi-wan has taught me anything, once you have the high ground it's impossible for the other person t win.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That's how I eventually got it.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Played the first mission and quiet enjoyed it. It holds promise as a fun and in depth game. I like it.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Managed to get some time in with BlackjackGT. We had a good time.

We killed some bad guys, including the mini-bosses and were rewarded with the His & Hers AK-47s.

I also managed to not only park a truck on Blackjack's face I also landed a helicopter on his head. :)

Good times indeed.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Impressions based on the Open Beta anybody?

I managed to complete the first area but barely scratched the second.

My impression is that it's good not great. Which is about where I would rate The Division.
Fairly solid gameplay but nothing super ground-breaking or exciting.

Overall it's mostly fun but is much better when teamed up with other players.

One odd note on that is if you are playing solo, you'll have the other 3 AI players along on your team but as soon as you team up with another live player, the AI players all disappear so teaming up with only one other person effectively drops your team count by 50%.
The didn't really make too much difference as the AI team members were kind of a mixed bag of mostly useless but occasionally helpful.
The only thing I really used the AI for was for coordinated sniper shots and reviving me when I went down so I probably wasn't using them to full effect.

Vehicle controls are kinda wonky. Ground vehicles are, rightly so, entirely dependent upon which vehicle you are driving and the terrain but they all have some quirks. For example Jeeps and minivans are some of the bounciest and floaty vehicles I've ever seen in a game but bigger trucks can be unstoppable monsters and exhibit vertical climbing ability akin to horses in Skyrim.

Air vehicles handle mostly OK but I could not figure out how to rotate in place when in a helicopter. Instead, the only way to change the orientation was to use the turn left/right keys but that would also cause you to fly forward as well.
I probably was missing some key controls but it would have made centering while landing a little easier.

The cover system wasn't quite as good as the system in Division but it didn't lock you to the cover spot either so it mostly worked OK but sometimes in order to fire over a bit of cover you'd have to manually switch between standing and crouching.

Civilian AI is weird in that they all seem so unconcerned about dudes running around shooting at each other. A full blown firefight in the streets of their village between the Ghosts, Sicarios, and Unidad forces was met with an attitude of, "Pfft. Whatever!" by the general citizenry.

They've seen some shit apparently and are no longer concerned with running gun battles outside their homes.

One thing I did like was that bullet drop was modeled pretty well (perhaps a little too aggressive) for long range sniper shots. I was taking shots out beyond 500 meters where the bullet drop was significant and really required use of the elevation marks on the scope.

---

I'll pick this up for sure but won't pay full price for it. I'll wait until I can find a good deal on it and grab it then. If that means I have to wait a couple of months, so be it. Hopefully I can still find people to group with then.

Oh, one thing to note, I spent a few of my U-Points (or whatever) to unlock some gear and it did not show up while playing the Beta so I can only hope it will be there when I eventually pick up the full game. Just something to be aware of.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm pretty much with you on your takeaway. Getting Sync Shot for three targets was nice, as was being able to call in diversionary forces and mortar strikes.

All told, I doubt I'd have much call for MP coop, so it'll probably be a deep discount Steam purchase for sometime after I get a new rig, as my 5yo video card can't handle it.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I am little more into it than you guys. I completed everything the beta had to offer solo and had a lot of fun with it.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I played solo and had a pretty good time once I figured out the best graphics settings. I'm a fan of open world games and GRW had enough different things to do to keep me entertained. I've pre-ordered already.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Getting Sync Shot for three targets was nice
I must have done it wrong because no one else ever shot. I had to shoot the others quickly. Usually in games you just shoot when your team is ready and they handle the rest.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote:
Getting Sync Shot for three targets was nice
I must have done it wrong because no one else ever shot. I had to shoot the others quickly. Usually in games you just shoot when your team is ready and they handle the rest.
There are 2 ways it works.
1) you setup sync, wait for them to get into position, then hold Q while in either aim mode or drone/binoc mode. doesn't work when just running around.
2) Same as above =, u instead of holding Q, in aim mode shoot someone.

Keep in mind that the shots are not always instant. I have seen them take a second or two.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Also, the targets are marked 1, 2, & 3 (assuming you have all three unlocked) and if any of the numbers are blinking that means the shooter doesn't have line of sight so be sure to wait until all the numbers are solid before issuing the shoot command.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Brian wrote:Also, the targets are marked 1, 2, & 3 (assuming you have all three unlocked) and if any of the numbers are blinking that means the shooter doesn't have line of sight so be sure to wait until all the numbers are solid before issuing the shoot command.
Yes. and they can also lose lock if target moves.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Some propaganda... err, info from Ubisoft, Ghost Recon Wildlands Betas Break Ubisoft Record
The recent beta phases for Ghost Recon Wildlands gave players a taste of what it’ll take to fight the Santa Blanca drug cartel in the Bolivian wilderness, and as it turned out, a lot of you were eager to squad up and hit the ground. More than 6.8 million of you, to be precise, breaking Ubisoft’s previous beta records – but that’s not the only impressive statistic coming out of the closed and open betas. More than two billion minutes were played, and more than 60 percent of all players played in co-op (Ghost Recon Wildland supports both solo and cooperative play for a team of up to four Ghosts).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Missing: crashes and system reboots.

I had three app crashes on the Bone, including one that resulted in a spontaneous reboot.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Isgrimnur wrote:Missing: crashes and system reboots.

I had three app crashes on the Bone, including one that resulted in a spontaneous reboot.
FWIW I played about 10 hours of the beta without a single crash (or even a serious bug I noticed)
Brian

Post by Brian »

Same. On PC.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Here's my PC experience:
Spoiler: