Arkham Horror - The Card Game

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: Arkham Horror - The Card Game

Post by hepcat »

The narrative is the best part of the game, but so far I've not come across something that requires you to have any real experience with Lovecraft. Just replace any Lovecraft specific names with the simple sobriquet "monster" and you'll be fine, I would imagine.

I have everything except for the Carnevale of Horrors pack. So if you ever want to play, just let me know. We could combine it with a night of Mansions of Madness for us Lovecraft fans in the area.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yeah, I don't know that having any Cthulhu mythos knowledge is necessary, but the general horror theme is quite thick. Knowing what "not a fan of the mythos" actually means is really the issue. IThe game is rather grim and (IMHO) perfectly captures the feel of overwhelming dread - success comes at a price.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

YellowKing wrote:And....storage solved.

I went with the Hobby Lobby Artist Case and the divider insert from The Broken Token. Total cost: $15 for the case (w/ 40% off coupon), $30 for the insert shipped. I don't particularly like paying $45 for storage, but considering this solution holds 4000+ unsleeved cards and I'd be spending around the same amount for multiple binders/sleeves, I'm willing to make the investment and not have to worry about it again. Plus that box seems ripe for customizing into a cool Arkham theme.
Thanks! I just picked up one of the artist boxes up at the Hobby Lobby across the street from my office (with the coupon, too), and then ordered the Broken Token insert (somewhere out there, Zarathud just shuddered in delight for reasons he can't explain). I'm thinking this will be my card case for Arkham Horror LCG, as well as my Game of Thrones LCG sets. Heck, I could probably fit Ashes in there too...along with all the dice.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Curse of the Rougarou is in the books!

We figured the standalones would probably fall more on the easy side in order to not completely screw you over when incorporated into a campaign, and for the most part we were correct. I did have one extremely close call in which an ally saved me from going insane, which would have really sucked this early into Dunwich. However, I scraped by, and we wound up coming out of the scenario with the maximum 3 XP.

With Carnevale of Horrors taking 2 XP to play, we had some tough decisions to make at the end of the game. Save our XP for that pack, or spend it all on strengthening our decks and hit it at the next available opportunity. Since we are only one scenario into Dunwich and have many more adventures to come, we opted for the latter. I think it was the right choice.

Terry opted to blow all of his on a single kick-ass card that nullifies the Chaos Bag for an entire turn (essentially 3 automatic skill checks of any type - dayummmm). Because my high level options all kind of sucked, I decided to revamp my 0-level spells. Tossed out three of the spells from the starter deck and replaced them with three that fit my play style better. At the end of the night we felt REALLY good about our decks heading into the second Dunwich scenario.

All told we spent around 3 hours playing through it. Even though I understand the argument that $15 is pricey for a scenario you can blow through in a single evening, we had a blast. If you're into deck tweaking to better your chances in the campaign, the bonus XP can definitely pay dividends. At this point we're enjoying the game enough that I'm kind of indifferent to the cost, as long as they're spreading the content out to a manageable once a month or so.

I took a picture of our play area I thought you guys might enjoy. It shows the player mats we're using (these are the ones we printed off from BGG and laminated), as well as the Mansions figures we substituted for the investigator mini-cards. (Click to enlarge).

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Did some customization on the art box last night. Since this is going to be my permanent case, I decided to ditch the old box and recycle some of the artwork. Used the box cover and a couple of panels from the inner insert along with two leftover slats that came with the art box that I wasn't using for anything. Thought it would give it more of an "old trunk" feel.

On the inside, I kept the palette rack so that I could store manuals inside. First row is player decks and player cards sorted by color. Second row consists of scenario locations, agendas and acts sorted by scenario. Third row are encounter cards - I need to get some more dividers so I can sort them properly by symbol. Left the right-most row empty for bagged tokens and the Chaos bag.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Nice! I have the exact same box and inserts. I had started to use the insert that you can see on the bottom of your lid for what appears to be the same thing you are, which is storing manuals. But I was worried they'd get chewed up/be hard to extract. Did you do something to make it more accessible?

Also, I managed to fit in all of my Arkham Horror LCG sets (and I have everything), as well as all of my Game of Thrones 2nd Edition LCG cards. This is an impressively large storage box!
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

hepcat wrote:But I was worried they'd get chewed up/be hard to extract. Did you do something to make it more accessible?
Nah, just left it as-is. I agree it's not an ideal solution. I might replace that insert with a piece of foam board cut to about 2/3 the height, since the thickness is about the same. That way you could just reach in and grab them from the top, but there would still be enough insert to hold them in place.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

God, I'm a dork...
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Quick and dirty solution from foam board. Works great though! I'll probably replace it with a piece of black board later, but this is what I had on hand.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Good idea. Cut it low enough and you can get your manuals out without having to hurt yourself.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Updated opinion on solo playability anyone? I saw the SUSD review and it piqued my interest. It would almost certainly be a solo thing for me, unless I want to subject my not quite 11 year old to the horrors of Cthulhu.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you enjoy Pathfinder Adventure Card Game solo, I can't see why you wouldn't get the same enjoyment out of Arkham Horror. I would definitely play more than one character though (as I assume most folks do with Pathfinder ACG). It can get tough.
Covfefe!
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

If you like the theme and strong storytelling aspect, you will enjoy it. I second hepcat's suggestion of playing two investigators.

One of the major mechanics of the game is the ability to engage an enemy, which essentially means drawing it into combat with you. With two investigators this can be used to great effect to tag-team the enemy. If one investigator is engaged (meaning their only option is to Evade or Fight), the other investigator can spend an action to engage the enemy and pull it off of them. It opens up a lot of strategic options that simply aren't available when you're playing one investigator.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I picked it up myself for solo play, but have only played it with 2 and 4 people. I've come to learn that I like the idea of solo play more than actually doing it (I think) because of how much I enjoy table talk. For this game, the table talk is tremendous but I also think (as others have noted) the theme and story elements are strong enough that solo play would be quite enjoyable. I'm not sure if I could get on board playing two characters though. I'd probably be more inclined to tweak the difficulty and just roll with whatever happens.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

So as noted in the what did you play this weekend thread, we knocked out the second campaign in The Dunwich Legacy.

Now the two campaigns in the box can be played in any order you choose, so we didn't expect this one to be too brutally difficult going in. We were only partially right. :D

We played a grand game, scooping up every available victory point and doing a lot of self-congratulatory high fives, when I realized we had dawdled FAR too long. By the time we scrambled to recover, the last Agenda flipped and we wound up getting the worst possible ending. Yes, despite absolutely crushing the scenario in terms of XP, we wound up losing horribly and suffering the consequences.

Even worse, one of my weakness cards spawns a monster that - if not killed by the end of the game - leaves me with a mental trauma (permanent -1 to Sanity). I flipped the damn card on the VERY LAST TURN. So I had no way to kill the thing and lost a sanity for the rest of the campaign due to one freaking card position. I was pissed, but such is the nature of Arkham.

The good news is we had enough XP to not only get a couple of good deck upgrades, but have enough left over to play Carnevale of Souls. So we're going to do that before hitting the first Mythos pack (which arrived today - yay!)
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Did a solo play of the first scenario in the first campaign. It was fun. Has anyone tried it with more than 2 people playing? The rules said you could play with more than two if you bought a second core set...
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

We played with 3 using 2 cores a while back. It's just as fun as 2. I've gone all out with this game. Blinged it out Zarathud style.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hentzau wrote:Did a solo play of the first scenario in the first campaign. It was fun. Has anyone tried it with more than 2 people playing? The rules said you could play with more than two if you bought a second core set...
Yes, I played with 4 people. It was much better than I thought. Slower, but still fun. What I really enjoyed was how it felt like (at least to me) everyone was really playing a character. With the deck variations, I thought it really worked well and we had a good mix of characters.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Our characters (Zooey, the monster-hunting chef) teamed up with "Ashcan" Pete & Duke (the street drifter and his dog), would make an awesome comic book. We've found ourselves getting quite attached to them. While we don't strictly role-play, we do try to stick to non-game terms when possible just to enhance the storytelling aspect.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Lesson learned. Either preorder the damn mythos packs, or show up at your FLGS on their release day. I'm missing last month's Miskatonic Museum pack, and it's out of print. I don't even see a reprint notice on their dang site. Since the game relies on the story continuing through these packs, I'm effectively stuck once I finish the two scenarios in the Dunwich Legacy...unless I do side stories. :cry:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think it's about a 3 month reprint time from when it hits retail to when it shows up again. I have the Museum pack unopened, the next expansion en-route right now and the third pre-ordered. We've still only finished the first (tutorial) scenario from the core set and it doesn't seem wise for me to purchase copies of everything as my buddy now has a full subscription to Team Covenant. Maybe we can work something out?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

hepcat wrote:Lesson learned. Either preorder the damn mythos packs, or show up at your FLGS on their release day. I'm missing last month's Miskatonic Museum pack, and it's out of print. I don't even see a reprint notice on their dang site. Since the game relies on the story continuing through these packs, I'm effectively stuck once I finish the two scenarios in the Dunwich Legacy...unless I do side stories. :cry:
I'm stopping by Games Plus this evening, you want me to check on it for you? See if they have one in stock?
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

That would be mucho appreciated!

It's this one:

Although I suspect they're going to be out of it too. It's apparently very hard to find in stores.
Smoove_B wrote:I think it's about a 3 month reprint time from when it hits retail to when it shows up again. I have the Museum pack unopened, the next expansion en-route right now and the third pre-ordered. We've still only finished the first (tutorial) scenario from the core set and it doesn't seem wise for me to purchase copies of everything as my buddy now has a full subscription to Team Covenant. Maybe we can work something out?
Oh, I'll survive. But thanks for offering. I'll probably subscribe now, as Issie suggested. I just made the mistake of thinking it was popular...but not SUPER popular. :cry:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm not sure about popularity, but people seem to be buying multiple sets of cards. I also think Asmodee under-printed copies to make sure they could turn a profit so you're seeing a mix of factors. This is my first true LCG and if I were being honest, I'm finding I don't enjoy this game model now that I'm knee deep in it. The idea that I need to pre-order it all now or risk waiting 3+ months to have a chance of seeing it isn't my thing at all.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can certainly understand that sentiment. It feels like they're only shooting themselves in the foot by under producing something they obviously know is popular.
Covfefe!
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

Yes, I usually wait until I have $100 worth of product at CoolStuffInc, but I can't get my cart ready since they go out of stock immediately :(

So, I have the base set, but that's it. I guess I will wait for the future printings...damn it.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Hey Hep, forgot to respond that they didn't have this expansion. I have one other store I can check for you, if my car is finished today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Thanks, but don't go out of your way. I doubt anyone outside of ebay scalpers have it right now. :cry:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Somehow I missed the pre-orders going up for the next two Dunwich Mythos packs (Undimensioned and Unseen; Where Doom Awaits, being released in May and June, respectively) and of course they're completely sold out. My interest in this game and trying to jump on pre-orders for a pack of cards is fading quickly.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm guessing those aren't truly out of stock, but just listed as such because the pre order isn't truly available for them yet. I can see no other explanation in light of the fact that the Blood on the Altar pack (the next one coming up in April) is readily available for pre order still.

But yeah, FFG needs to up their game on this crap no matter what. If you're running out of stock days after a release, do something about it, dagnabit!

<I'm personally trying to bring dagnabit back into style, by the way>
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I don't know. I placed my pre-orders for the first three Mythos packs back in January - and the third one isn't being released until April. I think I missed the window here and given the difficulty in finding them and CSI only taking pre-orders for guaranteed stock, it wouldn't surprise me to learn they are indeed sold out.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I pre-ordered Miskatonic Museum and got it on time, but missed out on Essex. My friend found it free shipping from the UK for $21, so we went for it. I thought I had learned my lesson and went to pre-order the next two packs, but as you've pointed out even the pre-orders are no longer available on CSI.

The only thing that is tempering my frustration is the fact we haven't caught up to the content yet. We still need to go through Carnevale standalone and then on to Miskatonic and Essex. But it's still irritating.

In fact, the most frustrating about this hobby in general is the inability to get product when it retails. I generally don't expect to get the next hyped/critically acclaimed game until at least a year after release, which is ridiculous.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I can understand someone like Victory Point Games or GMT running out of stock so quickly. They're small, so they have an excuse for small print runs. But FFG/Asmodee are the giants in the industry. They have to realize they're shooting themselves in the foot with customers like us that are getting frustrated with repeated shortages due to shortsighted releases. Like Smoove said, they run the risk turning us away if this keeps up. :?

Fortunately, I'm still obsessed with Gloomhaven, so I'm not in a rush to return just yet.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

And it's back in stock at coolstuffinc.com...as well as the preorders that were out of stock recently, it appears. Looks like FFG might be upping their game on this now that they realize it's in demand.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Thanks for the bump. I was just able to preorder #4 and #5 without a problem. I'll grab #6 when it's listed but then with a complete set, I'm out.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Yup, thanks! Made a stop at my FLGS and finally managed to snag a copy of The Dunwich Legacy expansion. 8-)
-mf
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

So, no spoilers, but we played Carnevale of Horrors last night.

So currently we've finished the two scenarios in the Dunwich Legacy expansion, doing the Curse of the Rougarou standalone scenario in between those. We thought it would be fun to do the Carnevale standalone before we start in on the rest of the "real" campaign. We were wrong.

Gameplay-wise, Carnevale is very unique and I can see why some people call it their favorite scenario. There are some really interesting quirks to the location layout and movement that provide a significant challenge.

However, we ran into every bit of bad luck we could have possibly run into. Bad token draws, bad card locations, bad deck shuffling. Everything that could go wrong did. I went insane about halfway through the game, and had to sit and watch my partner play for an hour and a half by himself. :grund:

The scenario costs 3XP just to play. So we burned that. What did we come out with? 1XP, I took a second Mental Trauma, and my partner took a second Physical Trauma. Basically completely screwed ourselves for nothing.

However, we're going to soldier through. Rules is rules, and we're playing the campaign straight. If you choose to incorporate standalone missions, you have to be willing to risk permanent damage for those rewards. We gambled and lost miserably, but hopefully the upcoming Mythos packs will be a little more kind.

Up next will be Miskatonic Museum (in hand), Essex County Express (on its way), and the other two which I still need to pre-order.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Back to the campaign proper tonight with MISKATONIC MUSEUM, the first Mythos pack for The Dunwich Legacy campaign.

Impressions - very favorable. Scenario was very challenging but I found it highly entertaining. We won it by the skin of our teeth, even though I again died and earned another physical trauma (ouch!) Basically the entire game came down to a single token draw and we lucked out (after enduring MANY lucky moments). We've had some close scenarios before, but I don't think we've ever pulled off a victory by this razor-thin a margin.

Definitely worth the effort though, as the deck comes with some fantastic new player cards for purchase. We ran out of time and didn't get a chance to buy any, but we plan on doing that immediately before tackling ESSEX.

I definitely question my sanity at shelling out this much money for what are essentially one and done game nights, but I have to say that every one of those $15 or so packs has given me 4 or 5 hours of fantastic entertainment. And I figure at some point down the road when I tire of the game or am done trying to keep up with content, I'll probably be able to sell the whole shebang and recoup some of that cost. Especially if some of those older packs become hard to find.

For now I'm really encouraged that each pack has met (or in most cases exceeded) the boxed scenarios. They've really done an outstanding job making each scenario unique without sacrificing fun.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I feel the same way, to be honest. But it's such a fun game that I'm willing to overlook the cost. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of cards for deckbuilding that are included in the mythos packs, but I do wish they held more than one scenario. Two would make it a much more palatable purchase for me.

Still, I'm in for the long haul. I can get the packs for around 12 bucks from my local discount game store, so it's a little less painful each month.
Covfefe!