Ghost Recon Wildlands

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Punisher

Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands beta signups open

Post by Punisher »

Brian wrote:Same. On PC.
Ditto.
Only issue I had was that I got stuck on Geometry twice out of all the times I played. Also had the intro movie stutter. No other isssues.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Punisher wrote:Only issue I had was that I got stuck on Geometry twice out of all the times I played.
Spelling was always the toughest for me :D

I didn't have any crashes or getting stuck. Once I got into the idea of the game I enjoyed it more than I did the Closed Beta.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

In breaking alt-news, the launch day patch will change the game's setting to the fictional country of Lobivia.
The Bolivian government has filed a formal complaint with the French embassy about a video game produced by a French company that portrays the South American country as an area controlled by drug traffickers, authorities said.

The game, "Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands," was produced by France-based Ubisoft Entertainment SA and is set to be officially launched next week. The game's beta version has been downloaded by 6.8 million users, according to Ubisoft.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Interior Minister Carlos Romero said Bolivia had delivered a letter to the French ambassador and asked that the French government intervene, adding that Bolivia reserved the right to take legal action.

"We have the standing to do it (take legal action), but at first we prefer to go the route of diplomatic negotiation," Romero said.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

GMG keys are out, at least mine is :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The Steam pre-load went up this afternoon, weighing in at 40.7Gbytes.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Brian

Post by Brian »

I won't be able to play Tuesday night but if anybody has interest in forming a group, let me know.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote:The Steam pre-load went up this afternoon, weighing in at 40.7Gbytes.
44GB on Uplay and it took 17 minutes to download. :twisted:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

If anyone is interested, I'm selling an (unused) Uplay key for the standard version of this game viewtopic.php?f=8&t=94110
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

coopasonic wrote:
Max Peck wrote:The Steam pre-load went up this afternoon, weighing in at 40.7Gbytes.
44GB on Uplay and it took 17 minutes to download. :twisted:
As is tradtion, it took me twice that amount of time to decrypt the pre-load. :)

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I played last night for about 90 minutes. It unlocked right at midnight and after three minutes of DirectX and stuff like that installing, I was up and playing (Uplay, not Steam). Driving and flying are definitely better than the beta. I just played another ninety minutes now and am enjoying it, although since apparently there are no scripted missions, I'm not sure how long my interest will last.

I'm running the game on my GTX 780 at medium graphics and getting 45-50 fps and it's quite playable.

Maybe it's time to update the title of the thread?
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

jztemple2 wrote:I just played another ninety minutes now and am enjoying it, although since apparently there are no scripted missions, I'm not sure how long my interest will last.
What does no scripted missions mean? Just sandbox?
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

jztemple2 wrote:Maybe it's time to update the title of the thread?
PM Daehawk and you might have some luck.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stimpy wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:I just played another ninety minutes now and am enjoying it, although since apparently there are no scripted missions, I'm not sure how long my interest will last.
What does no scripted missions mean? Just sandbox?
It's all dynamic. Groups of enemies have their own motivations and assignments and act accordingly. There are specific targets in specific locations, but it's not all scripted like we are used to seeing. There are still missions in that you have a job to do and people to take down, but it's not set pieces.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Played coop with a friend yesterday for about 90 mins and had a lot of fun.

The graphics are gorgeous; I'm running this on a gaming laptop (i7-7700HQ, GeForce 1060, 16GB Ram, SSD & Win 10) attached to an external 2560x1440 monitor and I have everything set to "very high" and some settings to max/ultra (vegetation, turf, textures) and I get an average 33fps in the benchmark with a low of 26fps, which works for me.

We took a slow approach with sneaking around, getting a good angle on enemies and then striking. Setting coop up was super easy, voice chat worked well and the mission structure looks perfect for us - lot's of stuff to do, we'll probably be able to squeeze in some play even if we only have 30 mins.

Had some real hilarious moments when we stole a small cargo plane and had to fly it to another airstrip. The control of helicopters and planes is ... at least difficult, maybe still bad from what I had seen in the (PS4) beta. In any case, turning the plane (without rolling too much) was a problem and I crash-landed the plane on the roof of a building in an enemy-held village. We got out and literally dropped into some hectic street-fighting, felt very Black Hawk Down. I had to be revived once but we made it out alive. We then stole a truck with a Gatling gun and tried to stop an enemy convoy that was coming through the village, which brought in the government troops in masses. I had to shot my way to my downed buddy, revived him and we barely made it into the hills when night fell. We were crouching in the tall grass, watching the dozends of enemy soldiers searching for us down in the valley while a government helo was circling around, searching for us - looked very cool.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Played some more and still having fun. Some observations...

- I really like the day/night cycle. Supposedly it's harder for the enemy to see you at night, but really for me it means I have to think about how washed out my vision will be at night if I'm using night googles around lights. I'd kill to get some decent thermal googles.

- I totally didn't even consider that I didn't have to "unlock" a province in order to enter it. I was studiously avoiding crossing over to the other bank when I was cruising in a Zodiac on the river that separated two provinces, but it turns out it doesn't matter.

- The second one of those "turn on the radio and defend it" missions was a damn PITA. Three times I got hammered with enemies approaching from all sides in an amazing fast reaction time; I definitely think this is one of the areas where the enemy spawning is ridiculous. I finally settled down and really did some planning. I turned the difficulty to Arcade :roll:, went at night, shot out all the street lights and other sources and then blocked the approaches to the generator with trucks. And called in rebel reinforcements. And damn if it still wasn't a damn near run thing. Maybe I'm missing some tactic I should be using?

- I'm getting really good at helo flying and it's very considerate that helos are left laying around like scratched off lottery tickets :D.

- I've managed to shoot down two Unidad helos. Very cool.

- My AI teammates continue to impress me. They call out enemy positions like "two tangos next to the helo" which is useful and they keep themselves out of trouble unless I direct them to attack. And they don't mind that I do all the driving.

- And no crashes or glitches so far on the PC. I did get myself caught in terrain one time, but that was on me as I was sliding down into a bunch of very tightly packed boulders.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote:I'd kill to get some decent thermal googles.
Thermal vision is a 2nd tier item skill.
jztemple2 wrote:- The second one of those "turn on the radio and defend it" missions was a damn PITA. Three times I got hammered with enemies approaching from all sides in an amazing fast reaction time; I definitely think this is one of the areas where the enemy spawning is ridiculous. I finally settled down and really did some planning. I turned the difficulty to Arcade :roll:, went at night, shot out all the street lights and other sources and then blocked the approaches to the generator with trucks. And called in rebel reinforcements. And damn if it still wasn't a damn near run thing. Maybe I'm missing some tactic I should be using?
Have you tried borrowing an armoured personnel carrier? They work great for that mission.
jztemple2 wrote:And they don't mind that I do all the driving.
One of them does complain from time to time that you still don't trust him to drive after some sort of incident on a prior op. :)

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The thermals are great, really helpful in crowded places. I haven't seen an armored personnel carrier, but I'll be looking for them now :D. And yeah, the one guy does complain that I don't let him drive, but he does love my driving. I've only rolled the car once!

This game is just full of great quotes...

"There's nothing like swiping a helicopter to bring the day into focus".

Still having fun, although it's getting a bit repetitive. Still loving the day/night cycles and the environment is rather pretty, even at Medium graphics.

And I just had a different type of mission, where I had to sneak in, place bugs and sneak out without being seen or being detected.
Brian

Post by Brian »

BlackJack joined me in a game last night and he had the misfortune to ride along with me in a helicopter.

My objective was to land on top of a mountain so that we could surveille an outpost a little ways down the mountain side prior to launching an assault. So, I landed the helo on the peak and hopped out only to watch in horror as the helicopter, with BlackJack still inside of it, tumble down the side of the mountain and promptly explode.

Seems my landing surface wasn't as flat as i'd hoped. :oops:
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I'm getting pretty good with helos, and I've even made a few textbook rooftop insertions, but I still have problems with misjudging my rotors and having them accidentally clipping on terrain as I land.
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

One thing that really helps me with any driving or flying in this game is to use a controller (in my case, a PS4 DualShock with Sony's wireless USB dongle). All the analog stuff you need in driving and flying is really horrible with the keyboard (and using the mouse for that is even worse IMO)

So I play the (ground) game with mouse and keyboard and pick up the gamepad when I enter any vehicle. The game handles this exceptionally well, it even switches the context control information in the lower left from the keyboard to the gamepad at a heartbeat, even showing the correct PS4 symbols.

Now the flying is actually fun (although the controls still take some time to get used to); important to understand that there seem to be two modes for the helo: it switches to a "travel" mode when you speed up and then you only need to keep the "throttle up" button pressed to maintain forward speed and altitude, if you need to change altitude, you correct (a bit) with the "forward" key.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

ChuckB wrote:Now the flying is actually fun (although the controls still take some time to get used to); important to understand that there seem to be two modes for the helo: it switches to a "travel" mode when you speed up and then you only need to keep the "throttle up" button pressed to maintain forward speed and altitude, if you need to change altitude, you correct (a bit) with the "forward" key.
This is the single most important thing to get flying helos in Wildlands. Except let me append that with one thing: once you shift into "travel" mode it actually flies like a plane...you can gain or lose altitude and change direction with the directional keys without dropping out of "travel" mode.

The only thing I wish was it was a little easier to switch to travel mode, or at least there were an indicator to show when the shift happens, but once you get the hang of it it's not tough.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I had an epic, insanely fun run-in with Unidad last night, one of those adventures that only these types of open world games can generate.

I was involved in a long, long chase of an escaping lieutenant, which was made really long because I was on a bike and couldn't shoot :roll:. I finally banged into his car enough times that he had to stop and then I roughed him up and got my message across. I then realized that I was way north of the province I was working, but there was a major Unidad base nearby. I figured the lads and I would swipe a helo or a plane and go back to where we had been.

Once we got to the airfield we spotted a couple of information markers (the "!" in the circle). OK, they were right in the middle of the base, but it was night and we are Ghost Recon, right? So normally I'd have skulked into the base, inching forward building by building, but what fun was that? So we stole a nearby armored personnel carrier (APC) and starting inbound :horse:

As might be expected, everyone started shooting at us :shock:. I drove up to the first building, hopped out and ran and got the info. Then back to the APC, people still shooting at us, and drove to the second info spot. I grabbed it and got back to the now smoking badly APC. We started off again, shooting everything in sight, since pretty much the entire Unidad force in the province seemed to be hunting for us.

I had to negotiate a tight corner and that was enough to take a few more hits and the APC stopped, really smoking badly. We all hopped out, I ran forward and promptly went down :shock:. One of my teammates resuscitated me and then the APC exploded and all my teammates went down :shock: :shock: :shock:. Still taking fire I revived one guy and then we each revived the other two. And then we ran, or I did, and damn if I didn't find another APC! We boarded (or at least I did, the AI guys teleported into the seats :mrgreen:) and we raced to the north gate of the base, smashed through and parked next to a small helo, which we started and took off.

Now most sane Ghost teams would have called it a night, but I was having too much fun, so of course I circled back because one of those info markers unlocked a gun box on the base. We headed back, flying low... and got hit by SAMs. I forced landed, ready to sneak into the base, but in about twenty meters found a high fence. I used a mine to try to blow it (no C4 yet). The fence stayed up, but now the bad guys were alerted again. So back to the helo, started flying... and smashed into the fence. It went down this time.

We snuck into the base, finally deciding that maybe being stealthy would be a bit healthier. We grabbed the gun upgrade and then took a look at the map. Ah, there was a supply plane sitting on the runway! Couldn't pass that up. So out the front door of the building and, yup, found another APC. We drove to the runway, surprisingly without alerting anyone. Maybe they were all tired from all the shooting before.

I slowly pulled up to the little supply plane and it's measly two guards. Without thinking I ordered my guys to fire and being in the APC, one of them used the automatic cannon to shoot the poor buggers. He also managed to turn the supply plane into swiss cheese. Well, too late to think about that. We grabbed the plane and took off, dodging SAMs and ground fire. Finally, we were going to get a rest.

Nope. Turns out that the destination for the supply plane was to the north of the province, so we had to fly by the base again, dodging SAMs and flying in canyons below the rim to avoid being shot at. And as I approached the friendly field I found out that the field was actually on the ridge above the canyon, so I had to turn... and I didn't turn tight enough and rammed my plane into the rim of the canyon.

Now it turns out that in Bolivia, the aircraft are pretty darn tough, so tough you can fly them into a rock and they just sit there. So I thought a bit and then switched it into reverse and backed up the plane enough so I could turn and drive off the rim of the canyon and start going straight down... except in Bolivia aircraft need surprisingly little forward airspeed to be able to fly. I landed it on the field, got my reward, and then we went into the local cafe and like good Ghost Recon guys, got plastered and shot up the bar :D
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I... that... I mean you... oy.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

coopasonic wrote:I... that... I mean you... oy.
Don't tell me you're doubting the realism of their flight model? :wink:
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Sepiche wrote:
coopasonic wrote:I... that... I mean you... oy.
Don't tell me you're doubting the realism of their flight model? :wink:
The first time i flew a plane in beta I "landed" it a few times before I got it to where it needed to be.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I installed the new Nvidia drivers for my GTX 780 and on Medium graphics I'm seeing a 5-10 fps increase.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

I feel like such a dipshit for asking, but what's the key to view tutorials? It looks like a short, wide u....
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Got a few missions in with Kato to start off my campaign/rehash of the opening area. Managed to execute a surrendering narco that was right outside the helicopter door that we were 'acquiring' and got a warning. I managed to fly two choppers without incident, unless Kato's airsickness bag counts.
Brian

Post by Brian »

stimpy wrote:I feel like such a dipshit for asking, but what's the key to view tutorials? It looks like a short, wide u....
That's the spacebar. :)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Well, I'm hating that when I upgraded the rebel vehicle dropoff a second time it went from minigun toting HMMWV to a light helo; while at times it's great to have a helo there are also times, like when I'm defending a rebel radio generator, that I really could use that heavily armed armored car.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Brian wrote:
stimpy wrote:I feel like such a dipshit for asking, but what's the key to view tutorials? It looks like a short, wide u....
That's the spacebar. :)
Thanks....... :doh:
He/Him/His/Porcupine
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote:Well, I'm hating that when I upgraded the rebel vehicle dropoff a second time it went from minigun toting HMMWV to a light helo; while at times it's great to have a helo there are also times, like when I'm defending a rebel radio generator, that I really could use that heavily armed armored car.
Hmm so I will be careful about the rebel missions I do from now on... :evil:
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's not a mission reward, it's a skill upgrade.
Vehicle Drop-Off - Can call Rebel forces to drop a vehicle in the area. Rank 1 request an SUV, Rank 2 request an Armored vehicle, and Rank 3 request a helicopter.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

These are your various Rebel support skills you can use. To boost the abilities of each of these skills, you must complete extra Rebel Side Missions while exploring Bolivia. Every side mission you complete will boost one of these Rebel Skills by one unit.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Or that.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I considered using the trump "Wrong" meme, but decided that was too cruel.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I watched a few videos of this and it looks like a lot of fun. I just know that I have a horrific record with anything that is online, so I'm going to wait it out a bit. I'll play it for like a day or two and never touch it again. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Octavious wrote:I watched a few videos of this and it looks like a lot of fun. I just know that I have a horrific record with anything that is online, so I'm going to wait it out a bit. I'll play it for like a day or two and never touch it again. :lol:
It's totally playable and immensely enjoyable as a single player game.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

At which point, it becomes part squad management sim. Nothing beats taking out an objective by calling in mortar strikes, having rebel quads attack for you, and then having your squad members take out three enemies simultaneously without you having to fire a shot.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

You do still have to drive.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter