The Trump budget thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

The Trump budget thread

Post by Smoove_B »

To try and keep things focused, I figured it was good to start a separate thread on the horror that is the 2018 budget:
“This budget represents a president who is beholden to nobody but the voters,” Mulvaney said. “He is following through on his promises. We did not consult with special interests on how to write this budget. We did not consult with lobbyists on how to write this budget. The president’s team wrote this budget and that’s what you’ll see in the numbers.”
Parts of the budget proposal also appear to contradict Trump’s agenda. Trump has said he wants to eliminate all disease, but the budget chops funding for the National Institutes of Health by $5.8 billion, or close to 20 percent. He has said he wants to create a $1 trillion infrastructure program, but the proposal would eliminate a Transportation Department program that funds nearly $500 million in road projects. It does not include new funding amounts or a tax mechanism for Trump’s infrastructure program, postponing those decisions.
And the Trump administration proposed to eliminate a number of other programs, particularly those that serve low-income Americans and minorities, because it questioned their effectiveness. This included the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, which disburses more than $3 billion annually to help heat homes in the winter. It also proposed abolishing the Community Development Block Grant program, which provides roughly $3 billion for targeted projects related to affordable housing, community development and homelessness programs, among other things.

The budget was stuffed with other cuts and reductions. It calls for privatizing the Federal Aviation Administration’s air traffic control function, cutting all funding for long-distance Amtrak train services and eliminating EPA funding for the restoration of Chesapeake Bay. Job training programs would also be cut, pushing more responsibility for this onto the states and employers.
I'd like to call this budget the "Screw You Jack, I Got Mine" budget of 2018, because holy shit.

But not everyone is getting cut:
There were several areas in which Trump proposed increasing spending. He proposed, for example, $168 million for charter school programs and $250 million for a new private-school choice program, which would probably provide tuition assistance for families who opt to send their children to private schools.

The biggest increase in spending would be directed at the Pentagon, but the budget plan does not make clear where the new $54 billion would go. The budget plan would boost funding for the Army, Navy, Marine Corps and Air Force. It would, among other things, acquire new F-35 Joint Strike Fighters and rebuild what it says are depleted munitions inventories. But it stops short of saying how these new funds would support new tactics to combat the Islamic State.

And he requested $1.7 billion in new funding this year and an additional $2.6 billion in new funding in 2018 to begin construction of a wall along the border with Mexico.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Ralph-Wiggum

Re: The Trump budget thread

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I assume those funds for the wall will get reimbursed by Mexico... :doh:

The budget is a complete demolition of many of things that actually do make America pretty great. Slashes to all the sciences will completely gut our competitiveness in those areas with other countries, not to mention the affect it will have on future advances in medical care, environmental protection, and general innovation. Many of the cuts will hurt low-income Americans, including the cut to Meals-on-Wheels among other things (seriously, how can you want to stop providing food to the elderly?). And all to provide more money to the one area where America already out-classes all other countries by a large margin.

My only hope is that this budget looks nothing close to what will eventually get passed by Congress. But there's so much harm in the current proposal, I don't think Congress will be able to mitigate or remove all the damage. What a shit show.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I did some more digging and USA Today has a nice categorical breakdown of all the agencies and programs that will be cut, like this:
Legal Services Corp. ($366 million): A 43-year-old congressionally chartered organization that helps provide free civil legal advice to poor people.
Because yeah, screw those poor people.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:I assume those funds for the wall will get reimbursed by Mexico... :doh:
Does that mean Mexico is going to help pay for my heating next year?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

So does anyone know historically how much budgets change from when they are first proposed until they are passed? I'm hoping a lot...
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm just surprised there isn't a line item reading "Power Armor for Donald".
Covfefe!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

In other news, Trump being elected might have been the worst possible thing for my future job prospects in the sciences...
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm assuming a ton. We didn't even have a budget for what, 10 years?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:So does anyone know historically how much budgets change from when they are first proposed until they are passed? I'm hoping a lot...
Will the budget ever be passed anyway?
The budget is submitted to Congress as a series of bills - the "annual appropriations bills". In order for each to succeed, it has to get 60 votes in the Senate, where the Republicans have 52 seats to 48 for the Democrats.

At least eight Democrats would have to vote for the cuts or at least refuse to obstruct it. Given the level of Democratic animosity towards Mr Trump, those possibilities look slim.

Meanwhile, several Republicans have publicly opposed moves to slash funding for diplomacy and foreign aid.

Senator Lindsey Graham, chairman of the Senate subcommittee responsible for the budgets, said last month: "It's dead on arrival - it's not going to happen. It would be a disaster... If you take soft power off the table then you're never going to win the war."
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:In other news, Trump being elected might have been the worst possible thing for my future job prospects in the sciences...
The only bright spot I've come across with him is that he apparently wants to sink quite a bit of money into NASA projects for space exploration.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

This budget ain't happening. 30% cut to State and EPA. That doesn't even make sense. That is structural failure level of cutting in any organization.
Last edited by malchior on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

hepcat wrote:
Ralph-Wiggum wrote:In other news, Trump being elected might have been the worst possible thing for my future job prospects in the sciences...
The only bright spot I've come across with him is that he apparently wants to sink quite a bit of money into NASA projects for space exploration.
New grant proposal: "Exobiology reproduction: insights from horseshoe crab sperm".
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote:
hepcat wrote:
New grant proposal: "Exobiology reproduction in space: insights from horseshoe crab sperm".
All set to go now!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Which is why I was surprised at the lack of power armor in his budget. How in the hell is he going to find the Guardians of the Galaxy with NASA's help if he doesn't have the necessary power armor for the job?

<I am seriously beating the whole "Trump is Chance from Being There" joke to death>
Last edited by hepcat on Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I might be ok with all of this. IF and only if it did not boost military spending. It's just insane. We already outspend every global power on the planet by a YUUGE margin, yet this is the one area he wants to increase. It makes no fucking sense. If you truly do want to reduce spending then you start with your largest expense and guess what you don't increase that expense by 54B you reduce it.

It's just bullshit mouth service that in the end will only benefit the defense industry.
FTE
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

hepcat wrote:I'm just surprised there isn't a line item reading "Power Armor for Donald".
Barrooooo!

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

"Senator Lindsey Graham, chairman of the Senate subcommittee responsible for the budgets, said last month: "It's dead on arrival - it's not going to happen. It would be a disaster... If you take soft power off the table then you're never going to win the war."
I never. EVER EVER EVERRR thought I would do this, but: :wub: :wub:
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

We did not consult with special interests on how to write this budget. We did not consult with lobbyists on how to write this budget. The president’s team wrote this budget and that’s what you’ll see in the numbers.
I know that any time I am looking into making a giant, complex budget that can alter the trajectory of a nation of 320+ million people - my first step is always to ensure that those who know the least about the topics at hand are the ones making the decisions.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I forget where I saw it, but one opinion piece I read felt that Putin doesn't care about military strength, he just wants a drastically reduced State Department. The writer's point of view was that Putin hates the relationships we have built across the world and feels a weakened State Department would be a major first step to dismantling those relationships.
Covfefe!
Enough

Post by Enough »

NASA gets a 1% cut, so essentially he's looking at just nuking the earth observation programs.

Some of these cuts just are downright silly. Like getting rid of Energy Star. That's something that effectively reduces energy use and helps to market products to folks like me for not much coin. Of course massively cutting things like Superfund and the State Dept is beyond stupid. And the paltry savings from eliminating things like the NEA, NEH, IMLS and CPD is so trite. I guess Ken Burns' Civil War documentary was just too darn radical for ye ole trumpster. Who needs museums, dance companies and orchestras? But trumps gotta pay for those Mar-a-Largo trips man.

If we cut all the neat cultural/civilization stuff that makes America great, what are we fighting for? This is the philistine budget.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

RunningMn9 wrote:
We did not consult with special interests on how to write this budget. We did not consult with lobbyists on how to write this budget. The president’s team wrote this budget and that’s what you’ll see in the numbers.
I know that any time I am looking into making a giant, complex budget that can alter the trajectory of a nation of 320+ million people - my first step is always to ensure that those who know the least about the topics at hand are the ones making the decisions.
Jared stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, apparently.
Covfefe!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Enough wrote:This is the philistine budget.
Still believing that Hebrew propaganda about the Philistines, eh?
There have been other digs at Philistine sites, but this is the first time archaeologists have found a large group of the Philistines' remains, the bones of more than 200 Philistine people buried in the sand here at the site of the biblical city of Ashkelon. Many of them complete skeletons, head to toe, wearing bracelets and toe rings and buried with bottles of perfume near their nostrils.
MASTER: Well, you can think about what it would mean if you called someone a Philistine today. It would mean they didn't like art and they didn't like music or perhaps they were just uncultured, and so they've really gotten a bad rap. But when we look at them, there wasn't a period where we don't see them loving art and sophistication and decoration.

ESTRIN: Based on the findings from the dig, Master says, the Philistines appear to be a people who came from far away. They made a home on the Mediterranean and had different burial customs and used distinctive pottery. While they may have been Philistines, they had a rich culture. Daniel Estrin, NPR News, Ashkelon.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

As God as my witness, if his budget cuts to PBS ruin my chances for a second season of Wolf Hall, I will personally put my boot up his ass.
Covfefe!
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

hepcat wrote:
RunningMn9 wrote:
Jared stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, apparently.
You never really "own" a property until you've slept there at least once.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Enough wrote:This is the philistine budget.
Still believing that Hebrew propaganda about the Philistines, eh?
There have been other digs at Philistine sites, but this is the first time archaeologists have found a large group of the Philistines' remains, the bones of more than 200 Philistine people buried in the sand here at the site of the biblical city of Ashkelon. Many of them complete skeletons, head to toe, wearing bracelets and toe rings and buried with bottles of perfume near their nostrils.
MASTER: Well, you can think about what it would mean if you called someone a Philistine today. It would mean they didn't like art and they didn't like music or perhaps they were just uncultured, and so they've really gotten a bad rap. But when we look at them, there wasn't a period where we don't see them loving art and sophistication and decoration.

ESTRIN: Based on the findings from the dig, Master says, the Philistines appear to be a people who came from far away. They made a home on the Mediterranean and had different burial customs and used distinctive pottery. While they may have been Philistines, they had a rich culture. Daniel Estrin, NPR News, Ashkelon.
I know it's an inaccurate trope, but it's also a word in the English dictionary for what I was trying to say. I am happy to stop usage of the word, but my understanding is that it's still an acceptable way to describe those without culture or hostile to it?

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It is. I just like being contrary at times, especially if I get to source it. :D
Enough

Post by Enough »

And I will say that private funding for the arts (including PBS) will be much easier to make up with rich donors than basic R and D and things like climate research.

Enough

Post by Enough »

Looking over at what will be completely cut and seeing some interesting choices. Besides making Putin pleased as punch by gutting State, how about ending all federal funding for the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars located at the Ronald Reagan Building? This is one of the most powerful think tanks in the world, and probably are well-connected enough to get some private funding but are they going to boot them out of the federal building? Putin, errr trump clearly doesn't like their brand of diplomacy, I wonder why?

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Trump's campaign position on energy states: "Make America energy independent, create millions of new jobs, and protect clean air and clean water. We will conserve our natural habitats, reserves and resources. We will unleash an energy revolution that will bring vast new wealth to our country."
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... great.html

Just doing what he said he'd douche....
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, at least Senator McCain is clear in communicating that that the budget can't pass:
“It is clear that this budget proposed today cannot pass the Senate," the Armed Services Committee chairman said in a statement.

McCain added that as lawmakers work on funding the government, they must come up with a deal "that provides sufficient funds to rebuild the military."

Trump's budget included $603 billion for total defense spending, which includes money outside of the Pentagon, plus an extra $65 billion in overseas contingency funding that is not subject to budget caps.
Oh...not enough money is going to the military. That's the problem.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Well, it was a promise Trump made. Why not hold him to ALL of his promises and refuse to do anything for him until you get them?
Black Lives Matter

Vorret

Post by Vorret »

I can't beleive 550 billion isn't enough to fund your military.
That's a fucking shitload of money, most countries total budget aren't even close to that.
Isgrimnur wrote:
His name makes me think of a small, burrowing rodent anyway.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Remember all those generals that came out against Trump. Where are they now?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Vorret wrote:I can't beleive 550 billion isn't enough to fund your military.
That's a fucking shitload of money, most countries total budget aren't even close to that.
Our military spending is something like triple the next "biggest" country. In 2014, our spending was roughly the same as China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, France, UK, India, and Germany combined.
Black Lives Matter

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Carpet_pissr wrote:"Senator Lindsey Graham, chairman of the Senate subcommittee responsible for the budgets, said last month: "It's dead on arrival - it's not going to happen. It would be a disaster... If you take soft power off the table then you're never going to win the war."
I never. EVER EVER EVERRR thought I would do this, but: :wub: :wub:
You know we're fucked when the conservative Senator Lindsey Graham is the voice of reason in the Republican party....
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Enough

Post by Enough »

Killing federal support for Meals on Wheels is a stone cold killer move, straight up gangster style. This will be great for the disabled senior citizens and vets! I really need to call our local Meals on Wheels program and see how I can help.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

It will all add up to reduce the dependency on social security, medicare and AHCA when all the old and sick people die. Mo' Money!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

hepcat wrote:I forget where I saw it, but one opinion piece I read felt that Putin doesn't care about military strength, he just wants a drastically reduced State Department. The writer's point of view was that Putin hates the relationships we have built across the world and feels a weakened State Department would be a major first step to dismantling those relationships.
Crippling the State Dept is insane. It means voluntarily stepping back from our ability to direct world events and lead global coalitions. America's soft power has shaped not just the world's wars but the world's future.

Trump is ending the American era of history with this budget. Which part of that is Great again?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Paingod wrote:
Our military spending is something like triple the next "biggest" country. In 2014, our spending was roughly the same as China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, France, UK, India, and Germany combined.
In our defense, that 24 million dollar socket wrench was WAY wicked cool.
Covfefe!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

To be fair, the US is the police force of the world. Other nations would likely have to bulk up their budgets if we cut ours significantly. (Whether or not we should be the police force for the world is another matter - just noting that we are.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!