Ghost Recon Wildlands

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands beta signups open

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote:
Octavious wrote:I watched a few videos of this and it looks like a lot of fun. I just know that I have a horrific record with anything that is online, so I'm going to wait it out a bit. I'll play it for like a day or two and never touch it again. :lol:
It's totally playable and immensely enjoyable as a single player game.
It really is fun in single player. Remember when you used to play the early Rainbow Six games and just go Lone Wolf because the AI were a bunch of ditzies? Well, your AI teammates are smart enough to stay hidden when you want them to and deadly enough to turn them loose to carve their way into an enemy camp without all ending up dead at the entrance. And really smart enough to know to not step off a cliff and then try to remember which one is the parachute button :D
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote:And really smart enough to know to not step off a cliff and then try to remember which one is the parachute button :D
Which is more than can be said about me.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Eh I had some money lying around and I think I might actually jump online once or twice. Downloading it now. :) The Division didn't really interest me, but this just looks like some simple mostly mindless fun.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So is the beta signup still available?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

If the beta costs 60 bucks then yes.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Brian

Post by Brian »

Or $49 at GreenManGaming
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Got booted saying the servers are down and now can't get back in. So lame. Had less than 2 hours played so I requested a refund. I'll circle back after it's cheaper. I forgot how much I hate dealing with their crappy servers. I just want to play stuff. I don't want to wait 8 hours for it to load and then have the servers not work. :P

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Octavious wrote:Got booted saying the servers are down and now can't get back in. So lame. Had less than 2 hours played so I requested a refund. I'll circle back after it's cheaper. I forgot how much I hate dealing with their crappy servers. I just want to play stuff. I don't want to wait 8 hours for it to load and then have the servers not work. :P
I'm able to play, although the cloud saves aren't working. I haven't logged off Uplay for a few days now, so maybe it's just the login servers that are down.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Oh, purty... between the patch and the new Nvidia drivers I've been able to up my graphics setting from Medium to High. Look at all the pretty colors!

By the way, servers working fine for me. I've got over twenty hours and never have had a problem logging on, YMMV
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Just ordered a new pc with a 1080. They are throwing this in. So I guess I'll be giving it a look in a week or so.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I quickly realized when I installed it that it wasn't something I should be dumping 60 bucks on. When I then got booted from the game I hit the eject button. I have tons of other stuff to play and MLB The show is out in 2 weeks. :horse:

Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Octavious wrote:Got booted saying the servers are down and now can't get back in. So lame. Had less than 2 hours played so I requested a refund. I'll circle back after it's cheaper. I forgot how much I hate dealing with their crappy servers. I just want to play stuff. I don't want to wait 8 hours for it to load and then have the servers not work. :P
For the record I've played something like 40 hours of Wildlands so far and haven't had a single connection issue, and that's on top of hundreds of hours of Division without a single connection issue I can think of.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Octavious wrote:I quickly realized when I installed it that it wasn't something I should be dumping 60 bucks on. When I then got booted from the game I hit the eject button. I have tons of other stuff to play and MLB The show is out in 2 weeks. :horse:
There were server issues on Saturday affecting a lot of people, but not all. It started with the can't sync to cloud issue.

I am still getting random freezes in the game that last about 5-20 seconds. I think I read it had something to do with auto-save.
1) does anyone else have this?
2) Anyone know of a fix?
I tried lowering everything from Ultra to medium and it did not help.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Punisher wrote:I am still getting random freezes in the game that last about 5-20 seconds. I think I read it had something to do with auto-save.
1) does anyone else have this?
2) Anyone know of a fix?
I tried lowering everything from Ultra to medium and it did not help.
Nope, I do get an occasional fraction of a second hiccup when driving or flying which I associate with loading textures, but nothing like 5-20 seconds. Is this playing with others? I'm playing solo. I'd suggest checking the Uplay support forums and seeing if this has been reported.
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

I hemmed and hawed over this for the longest time. GamersGate had a 19% off discount going for weeks. I watched enough gameplay videos that I finally pulled the trigger about an hour before the $48 price ended. [As of this writing, as Brian noted upthread, Greenman still has it for $49]

The following is based on playing solo. My specs are core i7 6700, 1070 FE w/ 8GB video ram, and 16GB system ram, and Win 10. Load times are very reasonable (under a minute to get into the game, and far less than that to load a level after you die) from my regular 7200 rpm spinner drive.

Not having an option for first-person really bothered me (I mean, why can't most games have a simple toggle for 1st/3rd POV for those that prefer one or the other - it seems like such a trivial thing to add), but then I remembered that 3rd person didn't bother me at all in the Sniper Elite series, so I finally gave in and bought it. And, while I would definitely prefer playing this in 1st person, it's not hampering my enjoyment at all.

Also it was a Uplay-only game (at least through GamersGate). If I'm going to have to use a client, I'd much rather it be Steam. I've managed to avoid Uplay until now, so this is my first experience with that client. And I must admit it was absolutely painless. The always-on aspect of it bothers the hell out of me of course, but I've played now for several hours without any issue.

Everything set to very high, and it runs smooth as silk, and looks just stunning, with insane draw distances that I still can't get over. And it plays really, really nicely. The shooting is very satisfying (although coming directly from playing Sniper Elite 4, I am longing for an XRay Killcam for Wildlands as well. I think that'd be great as an option, but I suppose Rebellion has a patent on it by now). That said, it is still very satisfying when your bullet hits its target, and there is a realistic puff of red and a nice little thunk when your bullet hits. It may not be anywhere near as graphic as a Killcam, but it is far more realistic, and feels just as good in its own way.

Question: I just picked up my first Sniper Rifle. Does this game model bullet-drop for long distance shots with the sniper rifle? I ask because I was making some fairly long shots with my assault rifle, and in that case it appeared not to model bullet-drop. Though it's possible the distance wasn't as far as I thought it was. I was playing on default "normal" difficulty if that matters. If bullet-drop only appears on higher difficulties, I'll need to bump it up, as I enjoy the challenge of that aspect.

Vehicle control seems a bit squirrelly, but that could be just me. Been a while since I drove anything in a game, so I could just be rusty. I'm also using keyboard and mouse, so that might play into it as well.

Helicopter control took a bit of adjustment, but was far easier than I thought it would be. Having a few gauges would be greatly appreciated, as it seemed kind of arcadey without any feedback there.

So after completing my first mission, my impression so far is that this is a gorgeous-looking game (possibly the best-looking game I've ever played), and I'm having a terrific amount of fun, even just solo.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Brian

Post by Brian »

Giles Habibula wrote:Question: I just picked up my first Sniper Rifle. Does this game model bullet-drop for long distance shots with the sniper rifle?
Indeed it does. Shots become increasingly more difficult at longer ranges and you really need to use the distance markers in your scope reticle.

There does not appear to be any modeling of windage.

So far, I think the longest shot I've made was just over 600 meters.
Helicopter control took a bit of adjustment, but was far easier than I thought it would be. Having a few gauges would be greatly appreciated, as it seemed kind of arcadey without any feedback there.
The helicopter/plane control scheme really needs a rudder control. As it is, you can't (that I can figure out anyway) hover in place and rotate with the helo.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Giles Habibula wrote:Also it was a Uplay-only game (at least through GamersGate). If I'm going to have to use a client, I'd much rather it be Steam.
FWIW, even on Steam it's still a Uplay game. :P

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Giles Habibula wrote:Also it was a Uplay-only game (at least through GamersGate). If I'm going to have to use a client, I'd much rather it be Steam. I've managed to avoid Uplay until now, so this is my first experience with that client. And I must admit it was absolutely painless. The always-on aspect of it bothers the hell out of me of course, but I've played now for several hours without any issue.
I've used Uplay for years and it's never been an issue. I can only be amazed at how apparently smart I am when I read the comments over on the Steam forums when people rant about how difficult Uplay is to use. Also the "always on" aspect isn't always true, I've played Uplay games when the servers were down and I played using a local save. I guess it depends on the game.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Kinda reminds me of ATAC combined with Far Cry 3. :) Any one remember ATAC from MicroProse back in the early 16-bit days?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/atac- ... inst-drugs
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Brian wrote: Indeed it does. Shots become increasingly more difficult at longer ranges and you really need to use the distance markers in your scope reticle.
There does not appear to be any modeling of windage.
So far, I think the longest shot I've made was just over 600 meters.
Cool. Thanks. Odd about the windage, since many other games have been using fairly accurate (well, good enough for gaming anyway) ballistics modeling for years now, so gamers are (I would think) fairly used to it by now.
Brian wrote:The helicopter/plane control scheme really needs a rudder control. As it is, you can't (that I can figure out anyway) hover in place and rotate with the helo.
Again, odd design choice.
But I'm still enjoying myself regardless.

Good lord, I don't think I've ever seen more beautiful landscapes in a game. And the draw distance is amazing. [Edit: I'm repeating myself aren't I? But it really does look incredible.]

What's really weird is that even though I'm playing at 1440p, and have everything cranked nearly to the max, the temps on my CPU and GPU barely rise above idle temps, and the fans rarely spin up. I mean, there's a bit of a rise in temps, but IIRC, I'm staying in the 30's Celcius. Normally, all high-end graphics games will push my graphics card at least to the 70's.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Gee, my GTX 780 runs at it's max of 80C (52% fan speed).
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Okay, nevermind. I just went to check.
I must have checked my readings right when the game started, and then forgot to re-check later...or something. I get wrapped up in the game and forget to check temps again.

But yeah, mine are pretty normal too, once it's been running a while.
GPU stays right at 77C with 50% fan.

CPU starts out at 33C (20% fan), and very slowly climbs to 45C (25% fan) and stays there.

I must have glanced over a couple times (the temps display on my other monitor), saw temps in the 30s for several minutes, and just assumed they were my GPU temps, when in fact it was my CPU, which further in fact rose to the 40s eventually. So I was way off. Sorry.

For a while there, I thought they had done a really remarkable job with optimizing the engine, and I was surprised I hadn't heard a lot of talk about how cool it ran.
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

jztemple2 wrote:Gee, my GTX 780 runs at it's max of 80C (52% fan speed).
If it's at max temperature, shouldn't fan speed be 100%?
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Fretmute wrote:
jztemple2 wrote:Gee, my GTX 780 runs at it's max of 80C (52% fan speed).
If it's at max temperature, shouldn't fan speed be 100%?
The fan speed is variable and automatically adjusts to maintain the card at it's max acceptable temperature. According to an article from Nvidia about this, the best GPU performance of the card is tied to running the card as hot as possible without damaging it. For my card Nvidia say 80C is the max temp for best performance and long life. I'm playing in an air conditioned room with a case that has good cooling clearance around the card, so the fan will run right around 50% of it's max rpm to keep the card at 80C. If it was a tight case or a warmer room the fan would probably run faster. Also that fan can make some significant noise at high rpm so it's not desirable to run it that fast.
naednek

Post by naednek »

for the love of the Octopi Gods, please change the title of the thread Daehawk :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Fretmute

Post by Fretmute »

jztemple2 wrote:
Fretmute wrote:If it's at max temperature, shouldn't fan speed be 100%?
The fan speed is variable and automatically adjusts to maintain the card at it's max acceptable temperature. According to an article from Nvidia about this, the best GPU performance of the card is tied to running the card as hot as possible without damaging it. For my card Nvidia say 80C is the max temp for best performance and long life. I'm playing in an air conditioned room with a case that has good cooling clearance around the card, so the fan will run right around 50% of it's max rpm to keep the card at 80C. If it was a tight case or a warmer room the fan would probably run faster. Also that fan can make some significant noise at high rpm so it's not desirable to run it that fast.
I guess that makes sense, although I'd call that a soft max (especially since you'd only know to increase the fan speed if it got hotter than that).
Last edited by Fretmute on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Re: Ghost Recon Wildlands

Post by Isgrimnur »

Thank you, Daehawk.
jztemple2

Ghost Recon Wildlands

Post by jztemple2 »

Fretmute wrote:I guess that makes sense, although I'd call that a soft max (especially since you'd only know to increase the fan speed if it got hotter than that).
You're right of course. As a retired engineer I should know to use clearer definitions :roll: . So I'll call the Optimum Safe Operating Temperature, or OSOT. Engineers are good at making up acronyms :D
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

jztemple2 wrote:
Fretmute wrote:I guess that makes sense, although I'd call that a soft max (especially since you'd only know to increase the fan speed if it got hotter than that).
You're right of course. As a retired engineer I should know to use clearer definitions :roll: . So I'll call the Optimum Safe Operating Temperature, or OSOT. Engineers are good at making up acronyms :D
In the military, the trick is to start with the acronym and then shoehorn in some plausible words: BLOTTO -- Baseline Optimum Temperature To Operate. :geek:

Brian

Post by Brian »

jztemple2 wrote:Well, I'm hating that when I upgraded the rebel vehicle dropoff a second time it went from minigun toting HMMWV to a light helo; while at times it's great to have a helo there are also times, like when I'm defending a rebel radio generator, that I really could use that heavily armed armored car.
Then you'll be happy they changed that with the latest (6.4G) patch.
Players can now select the vehicle they want to spawn when using the "Drop Vehicle" rebel skill.
Here's the complete patch notes:
Spoiler:
MISSIONS/NARRATION
We received reports of some players having issues with certain missions in the game. After investigating the causes, we have implemented fixes so they can now have a smooth experience. We also fixed an XP farming exploit related to the “Rebellion Rising” mission, which created interference with the co-op experience.

- Adjusted various missions markers & GPS pathfinding.
- The following missions are now unlocked correctly for players who reported issues:
* Gold Rush
* Sueño’s proposition
* Sandoval Dead body
* El Cerebro
- Adjusted various mission triggers in order to smoothen the player's progress and game experience.
- Fixed situations where dialogue and barks would not trigger correctly.
- The following missions are now replayable:
* El Cerebro
* Boss missions
* Sandoval confession
* Western cocaine cache
- Fixed infinite XP farming exploit on "Rebellion Rising" mission.
- NPCs now exit the vehicle properly in "Stop the Convoy" missions

USER INTERFACE
We implemented various fixes and tweaks related to trophy and weapon packs unlocking. We also fixed an issue related to the Charactersmith model not being positioned correctly. On top of that, players who love to play with the HUD completely hidden will now be able to select the type of intel they want to collect when they interact with files or NPCs.

- Players can now select what intel they want to collect, even with all the HUD options turned off.
- Trophy requirements adjustments:
* The Champion
* Eagle-Eyed
* With a Pistol!
- Fixed some weapon packs not unlocking properly:
* Underbarrels & Rails Pack
- Fixed Character hiding behind menus in certain situations.
- HUD now updates when XP boosters are activated.

CO-OP
We detected some replication issues during cooperative sessions between players. This patch should provide a more consistent experience between Ghosts sharing the same game session.

- Corrected various replication issues, such as:
* Paint jobs & attachments not showing correctly in the lobby
* Rebel Radio explosion not synchronizing
* Sniper scope glare effect not synchronizing
* Players seen running beside VHC/bike they should be sitting in
* Suppressor not synchronizing when removed from a vehicle’s shooting position
* Burning corpses from systemic events
* Explosion not replicating if the distance is too high
- The following achievements should now be awarded to all the players in the two missions below:
* A Better Mousetrap
* The Cluster Bomber
- Fixed a bug where hits would register with a 0.5-second lag.
- Fixed kick/ban vote notifications.
- Fixed game freezes in 4-player sessions.

CONNECTIVITY
We detected and fixed some issues that were causing some player disconnections. The experience should be more solid after the patch.

- Fixed various disconnection bugs.
- Fixed a bug where the user could not reconnect to a previous session.
- Fixed errors when looking for public sessions.

GAMEPLAY
Added fixes and improvements for gameplay-related issues and requests that some players reported.
Players can now select the vehicle they want to spawn when using the "Drop Vehicle" rebel skill.

- Fixed XP awarded when killing an enemy undetected.
- Fixed a bug where sometimes vehicle seats could stay booked after NPC exiting.
- Fixed a bug where the player would take cover too far from certain props.
- Players can no longer teleport to safe houses while being hunted.
- The Medical Helicopter will now spawn correctly in the Tabacal area side-mission.
- Fixed bikes not slowing down in water.
- Fixed flash grenades not stopping detection.
- Fixed an occasional instant game-over when falling off a dirt bike.
- Fixed a bug where sometimes the player could not tag enemies after hot joining.
- Adjusted damage caused by explosives in Arcade difficulty.
- Fixed an issue where sometimes pilots didn’t die after AI helicopter crash.
- Fixed a situation where sometimes vehicles disappeared when driving at high speeds.

AUDIO
We implemented some fixes and improvements related to some audio aspects of the game, as well as the option to mute radios for those players who requested it.

- Added a feature allowing the player to mute every radio in-game.
- Fixed Car radio not functioning in various situations.
- Amplified the radio voice effects to avoid player confusing El Sueño’s voice on the radio and the one of the Ghosts.
- Introduction video mix enhanced.

GRAPHICS
We focused on fixing various issues in order to provide a solid experience. For stability and performance improvements, see the section below.

- Fixed player models appearing with twisted limbs if they were killed in certain positions.
- Fixed low-resolution textures appearing while aiming/driving.
- Fixed camera clipping through some textures & props.
- Fixed missing textures in certain environments.
- Fixed drone showing blur effect on objects.
- Fixed the textures flickering when using parachute or helicopter.

STABILITY
- Fixed various crashes.
- Fixed an occasional infinite loading screen after validating settings at first launch.

WORLD
- Fixed various world building glitches.
- Fixed some world parts where the player could get stuck.

PC SPECIFIC IMPROVEMENTS
Graphics
- Added the SMAA anti-aliasing mode.
- Added a notification for anti-aliasing recommendations in multi GPU setups.
- Addressed a series of issues causing flickering in multi GPU setups.
- Fixed an issue with HUD scaling in 4 monitor multi display setups.

User experience & interface
- Added support to bind Home, End, Insert, Delete, Page Up and Page Down keys.
- Added several menu navigation improvements with mouse and keyboard.
- Added a notification if the video driver is outdated.
- Added a notification when the system is low on free RAM and starts writing to the virtual memory.
- Fixed a HUD issue in co-op for users who have already completed the selected mission.
- Fixed the Pitch icon display when using mouse to steer helicopters.

Co-op
- Fixed an issue with co-op sharing of systemic activities.
- Fixed the use of Push to Talk in the co-op lobby.

Controls
- Changed the Enable Controller default option to Only Gamepads.
- Addressed a number of issues with the Steam Controller icons and functionality.

Performance
- Addressed a series of random crashes encountered by users.
- Fixed an issue causing framerate drops when the saving icon was being displayed.
- Fixed an issue where the menu was lagging while running the game on a Hard Disk Drive.
- Solved an issue with VRAM bar update when lowering Resolution scaling.

Misc
- Fixed a bug on the Medication Air Transport mission in Tabacal.
- Fixed an issue with character poses in Ansel.
- Solved a controls issue where one couldn’t sprint from crouch or prone position.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Brian wrote:Then you'll be happy they changed that with the latest (6.4G) patch.
Woo hoo!
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

+1

I was miffed when I realized that I'd upgraded to the helo.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote:+1

I was miffed when I realized that I'd upgraded to the helo.
Moi aussi, particularly because I thought I was upgrading the respawn timer rather than the power of the ability. #DoingReadingBadly

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Moi aussi, particularly because I thought I was upgrading the respawn timer rather than the power of the ability. #DoingReadingBadly
If "Moi aussi" means me too, then yo tambien or something.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It must be Italian.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote:It must be Italian.
French.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Isgrimnur wrote:Enlarge Image
I have a sore neck today. I couldn't look up fast enough to see your joke as it went flying over my head. :)

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Have to say, even more than the Far Cry maps, the environment of this game is amazing. The terrain, the animals, the plants, the trees, the buildings are all worth taking a look at up close. And add to that the open world gameplay.

Regarding collectibles, in some games (I'm looking at you, GTA, you and your pigeons) they have no bearing on the game. Here however they do have an impact. I've collected zillions of supplies for the rebels, lots of medals, skill points and guns and gun parts. OK, I probably will never use a lot of the guns and gun parts, but they are cool anyway.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

100% security destabilized and all of the weapon upgrades purchased.