[iOS] Fallout Shelter

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Daehawk

Re: [iOS] Fallout Shelter

Post by Daehawk »

Still not gotten to play this. I have a Kindle Fire. Its supposed to be android but it isn't really. FOS is not on Amazons app store and Google play doesn't recognize this Kindle Fire at all...so shit out of luck as usual.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Daehawk wrote:Still not gotten to play this. I have a Kindle Fire. Its supposed to be android but it isn't really. FOS is not on Amazons app store and Google play doesn't recognize this Kindle Fire at all...so shit out of luck as usual.
There's a price for buying a cheap tablet.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The Kindle Fire is not a cheap tablet. It is an eReader with some tablet features. It is a custom version of Android, designed specifically to only use the Amazon app store.
Moliere wrote:Trying to play this for the first time. Early on it seems like caps are hard to come by. I've used what little I get to build the power, water, food, and living space rooms. With only 22 people they don't seem to be able to self-sustain themselves and I can't earn enough caps to build the Overseer room in order to start any Wasteland explorations.
You don't need the Overseer's Office for exploration. You can (and should) start exploring right away. The Overseer's Office just lets you send dwellers out on quests, which is completely different.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Blackhawk wrote:The Kindle Fire is not a cheap tablet. It is an eReader with some tablet features. It is a custom version of Android, designed specifically to only use the Amazon app store.
OK Mr. Bezos, I won't disparage your product anymore. :P
Blackhawk wrote:You don't need the Overseer's Office for exploration. You can (and should) start exploring right away. The Overseer's Office just lets you send dwellers out on quests, which is completely different.
Good to know. Sending them out now. Hopefully they won't all die.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

You have to babysit them at the beginning, at least until you can outfit them with weapons and stimpacks. Later you can just send 'em and forget 'em until they show back up a week or so later.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Blackhawk wrote:You have to babysit them at the beginning, at least until you can outfit them with weapons and stimpacks. Later you can just send 'em and forget 'em until they show back up a week or so later.
Yeah, the first 4 died. They had no gear and half health when I sent them out. :oops:
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The first few expeditions will be under an hour. Send them out, get some gear, call them back. Prioritize gear with Endurance from level 1 with explorers.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I'm up to 34 vault dwellers with an overall happiness of 91%.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I now have just over 100 dwellers with a consistent 90+ happiness. Is there any advantage to having more people? It just seems like a lot of work to micromanage their development, activities, and training.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Send them out to the wilderness and have them bring back more goodies?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Moliere wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:You have to babysit them at the beginning, at least until you can outfit them with weapons and stimpacks. Later you can just send 'em and forget 'em until they show back up a week or so later.
Yeah, the first 4 died. They had no gear and half health when I sent them out. :oops:
Send them out with as many stim packs as you can spare and half as many RadX. When they're down to 1 stim, call them back.
Moliere wrote:I now have just over 100 dwellers with a consistent 90+ happiness. Is there any advantage to having more people? It just seems like a lot of work to micromanage their development, activities, and training.
Quests. Send them all on quests.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Carpet_pissr wrote:
Xmann wrote:Downloaded today for Android.

Some brief questions

#1. My power, water, food is turning red in the progress bar. I'm putting the appropriate characters in the right areas, but still have red. What am I doing wrong?
You should build a 3 wide EVERYthing (so they combine into one big room) if you haven't already, with the exception of some training rooms, IMO. Especially the water, electricity and food rooms.
#2. How do I increase my dwellers? I've had a couple kids and I've made a few rooms. However, I'm not seeing more dwellers show up. How do I get more to show up?
Lots and lots of humping. This is by far the most efficient way. The other way involves setting up a radio station fully maxxed, with really hi charisma (which is hard to level up). I found that last way VERY "cost" inefficient.
#3. Do I have to micromanage and log in regularly to manage progress and watch my dwellers who are out exploring?
not if you have equipped them well, and they have high endurance. You want your luckiest bastards out there for sure. The only reason to check in on them IMO is when it's early stages of the game and your peeps probably don't have really high endurance (either through equipment or training). Then they could die, and be "wasting" time in collecting loot before you notice they have died in the wilderness (and need to be resurrected).
#4. Other than arming my dwellers with clothing and equipment, how do I protect against raiders?
Always leave someone with your best gun in the vault entrance room. I also would put my second best gun in the NEXT room, because they would usually at least get past. But leaving that person up front will at least buy you enough time to get others that are well armed, closer to the entrance (it's a good idea to have your best equipped people that aren't wandering the wilderness close to the vault entrance anyway)
Thank you for these tips. I've definitely incorporated some of them. For example, the humping was getting out of control. Goddamn rabbits had to be segregated into male and female barracks when I got over 100 dwellers. Now I use them as staging rooms or a kind of green room for rotating them into the exercise rooms. Also, I don't keep anyone in the entrance. I do have the cafeteria as the first room everyone enters. So all invaders run into 6 people holding the best weapons. Only the Deathclaws make it through. However, they then go into the next room and have to double back into the cafeteria where I have healed everyone up so the Deathclaws get bombarded again with any survivors dying in the 3rd room.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That sounds like the same way I plan out my top floor, with only one elevator (near the entrance) going down. Enemies go all the way across, then have to walk all the way back to get to the lower floors, crossing the top room twice. I just fill that room full of the most insanely powerful weapons in the game.

Some extra tips:

All stats matter for explorers. Luck is how much money they get. Perception, Chariasma, and Intelligence let them pass special encounters successfully. Strength and Agility determine how much damage they take. Endurance is the most important stat from 1-49, and irrelevant after 50.

Here's the deal on Endurance: Every time a dweller levels up, they get a permanent number of hit points based on their current Endurance, including bonuses. If they raise their Endurance later, it does not add health retroactively. That means that if you want the best possible explorers (and door guards), you want to level their Endurance all the way to maximum at level 1, then outfit them with the best +Endurance gear you can find (it goes up to +6, I believe.) Only then should you level them up to maximum. Once they hit max, change out of the Endurance gear. High Endurance only helps when they level up, so put them in Strength/Agility gear (for fighting) or Luck gear (for money.)

The characters I set up this way as both my explorers and door guards are essentially unkillable. Deathclaws can come in multiples and hit my central guard room twice without my needing to heal them. Explorers will never, ever die. They go out, fill up their inventory, run out of space, and turn back before they die.

As to weapons, avoid Fat Man and missile launchers. They are a huge waste of damage. It has something to do with how the total damage is divided among the targets. You want plasma weapons or gatling guns (including gatling lasers.) One fat man in the guard room is fine, especially for ghouls. Avoid them like the plague on anyone you're going to go into a building in the wasteland with.

A note on questing. Stats change a bit for questing. Luck affects how fast your crit meter fills, and Agility affects how often you fire. Once your questers are at level 50, put them in Agi/Luck gear for the best results.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Blackhawk wrote:Here's the deal on Endurance: Every time a dweller levels up, they get a permanent number of hit points based on their current Endurance, including bonuses. If they raise their Endurance later, it does not add health retroactively. That means that if you want the best possible explorers (and door guards), you want to level their Endurance all the way to maximum at level 1, then outfit them with the best +Endurance gear you can find (it goes up to +6, I believe.) Only then should you level them up to maximum. Once they hit max, change out of the Endurance gear. High Endurance only helps when they level up, so put them in Strength/Agility gear (for fighting) or Luck gear (for money.)
Good to know. Now I will have to find a group of low level dwellers to ramp up with Endurance in mind. Thanks!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Oh, and flamers count with the launchers, too.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Anyone use their Nuka Cola bottles? I might have used one so far out of the 60 I've collected. I'm just not in that big of a hurry to speed things up.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Moliere wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:Here's the deal on Endurance: Every time a dweller levels up, they get a permanent number of hit points based on their current Endurance, including bonuses. If they raise their Endurance later, it does not add health retroactively. That means that if you want the best possible explorers (and door guards), you want to level their Endurance all the way to maximum at level 1, then outfit them with the best +Endurance gear you can find (it goes up to +6, I believe.) Only then should you level them up to maximum. Once they hit max, change out of the Endurance gear. High Endurance only helps when they level up, so put them in Strength/Agility gear (for fighting) or Luck gear (for money.)
Good to know. Now I will have to find a group of low level dwellers to ramp up with Endurance in mind. Thanks!
I took a level 1 guy and built up his E and A to 10. His S and P were built to 8. I equipped him with an Advanced Radiation Suite P2E3, the Amplified Gatling Laster 21-25, and the Wanderer bird with 47% damage resistance. In 2 days and 12 hours wandering the Wastelands he is now level 50. During that time he never lost more than 5% of his health. Time to head home and collect all of his goodies.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

There doesn't seem to be much to do anymore now that the initial quests are all done. Using Blackhawk's Endurance trick I have an army of 20 vault dwellers with maxed out S, P, E, A, and L. I have 118 people in my vault. Do I need more in order to trigger some end game activity? Is there really nothing else besides the daily and weekly quests that show up?
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Moliere wrote:There doesn't seem to be much to do anymore now that the initial quests are all done. Using Blackhawk's Endurance trick I have an army of 20 vault dwellers with maxed out S, P, E, A, and L. I have 118 people in my vault. Do I need more in order to trigger some end game activity? Is there really nothing else besides the daily and weekly quests that show up?
As far as I've seen from playing, there is no end game activity.

I wouldn't be surprised if more quests are added at some point, but I'm not expecting too much out of a free game.
Hodor.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

pr0ner wrote:
Moliere wrote:There doesn't seem to be much to do anymore now that the initial quests are all done. Using Blackhawk's Endurance trick I have an army of 20 vault dwellers with maxed out S, P, E, A, and L. I have 118 people in my vault. Do I need more in order to trigger some end game activity? Is there really nothing else besides the daily and weekly quests that show up?
As far as I've seen from playing, there is no end game activity.

I wouldn't be surprised if more quests are added at some point, but I'm not expecting too much out of a free game.
They need to scale up the difficulty. I still have the same 6 ghouls, 3 Deathclaws, and 4 Raiders attacking my vault. My fully SPECIAL upgraded level 50 dwellers kill everything without much effort. I send them alone on level 50 quests just to make it slightly more interesting.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fallout Shelter isn't really a long-term game. I've never gotten anywhere near the population cap (you can have everything and do everything with under 100 people - at 200 you're just assigning them to gender-segregated living quarters.) There comes a point at which it simply becomes too simple.

The fun is getting to that point, collecting gear, getting over those early game hurdles, training up the perfect door guards, explorers, and putting together a 'perfect' questing team. Like most management type games, though, once you have the best, there is nothing to really do.

It's great game to play for a few minutes a day for a couple of months, but then I put it away.
CatsNeverDie

Post by CatsNeverDie »

I used to have a Windows phone when it came out and felt left out :( But now that I have an iPhone :D I still haven't played it. I'll give it a go soon and post what I think.
How to find out which life the cat is on?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

I have now maxed out my caps with 999,999 sitting in the bank and nothing to spend them on. I do the two daily quests with my maxed out party, but at this point the game has lost any value. Without any real content update there's just nothing to do.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

You can come play SW: Galaxy of Heroes with us. :horse:
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Bakhtosh wrote:You can come play SW: Galaxy of Heroes with us. :horse:
I installed the game and was overwhelmed with the initial learning curve. With my pending deletion of Fallout Shelter I will be more motivated to figure out Star Wars.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its on PC now.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Moliere wrote:I have now maxed out my caps with 999,999 sitting in the bank and nothing to spend them on. I do the two daily quests with my maxed out party, but at this point the game has lost any value. Without any real content update there's just nothing to do.
Lost any value? It is free, you know.
Hodor.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

pr0ner wrote:
Moliere wrote:I have now maxed out my caps with 999,999 sitting in the bank and nothing to spend them on. I do the two daily quests with my maxed out party, but at this point the game has lost any value. Without any real content update there's just nothing to do.
Lost any value? It is free, you know.
Enjoyment value.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And time value.

It isn't a long-term game. It's a great game for killing ten minutes here and there until you reach a point that it isn't fun anymore.

Just like most mobile games.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Uninstalled. Time to try Star Wars again.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Bethesda suing Warner Bros. for "blatant rip-off" of Fallout Shelter
Bethesda is suing Westworld game developer Behaviour Interactive and publisher Warner Bros, claiming Behaviour stole its designs, artwork, and coding, and used them in the mobile app.

Bethesda accuses Behaviour of stealing assets from Fallout Shelter - which Behaviour helped to develop - and using them in the Westworld game. According to the suit filed, Bethesda is suing Behaviour for breach of contract, while Warner Bros. is being sued for inducement to breach of contract.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

gilraen wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:19 pm Bethesda suing Warner Bros. for "blatant rip-off" of Fallout Shelter
Bethesda is suing Westworld game developer Behaviour Interactive and publisher Warner Bros, claiming Behaviour stole its designs, artwork, and coding, and used them in the mobile app.

Bethesda accuses Behaviour of stealing assets from Fallout Shelter - which Behaviour helped to develop - and using them in the Westworld game. According to the suit filed, Bethesda is suing Behaviour for breach of contract, while Warner Bros. is being sued for inducement to breach of contract.
Mobile games are used to rip off each other but Westworld is no where near the same game as Fallout Shelter. While most of the gameplay in Fallout Shelter is underground, Westworld is mostly above ground. While Fallout is a somewhat relaxing game. Westworld is a busy game where you have to micromanage and go to different screens to do that.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Time will tell. I haven't played Westworld, but I played the hell out of Fallout Shelter. I can certainly see some apparent similarities after checking out a couple of videos.

Then again, Bethesda is the company that sued Mojang for daring to use the word 'scrolls' in a title, which was complete bullshit.
Bakhtosh
Forum Moderator

Post by Bakhtosh »

One of these mobile game lawsuits I read (don't recall if it was this one) was based on an obscure bug that the developers knew about in their game that was reproducible in the defendant's game.
“I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” -Thomas Jefferson
Finding Red Riding Hood well-armed, the wolf calls for more gun control.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Bakhtosh wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:11 pm One of these mobile game lawsuits I read (don't recall if it was this one) was based on an obscure bug that the developers knew about in their game that was reproducible in the defendant's game.
Yeah. Which made this a strange lawsuit since it doesn't based on another game copy the design of Fallout Shelter but because it uses some unity codes or library that was made for Fallout Shelter.

The game is totally different.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Victoria Raverna wrote: The game is totally different.
Forsooth. I tried Westworld because it was mentioned with FO Shelter in the same context, hoping it would be similar, but better, but nope. Uninstalled immediately. Exactly the kind of mobile game that turns me off completely.