3%
Other
9%

Total votes: 97

craterus

Re: What Web Browser do you recommend?

Post by craterus »

Grifman wrote:
bradcruz wrote:According to me Mozlia Fire Fox is best Browser. Because It works with most of operating platform Mac OS X,like Linux, and Windows. This graphic browser provide a excellent selection of features. Firefox was the first to have start tabbed browsing. This browser also provide anti-phishing protection,integrated download management, live bookmarking, incremental find using the Firefox toolbar.
Another bot? Three posts in General Computing, all with software recommendations and one post in PC Gaming with game recommendations, all in stilted English . . . hmmm . . .
yeah pretty funny - i think it hit my best virus checker thread too...

I actually like these vote threads (turned out better than i had hoped)... nice suggestions in all the comments (minus the bots) --- revotable so you can change your mind -

as of 1/29/11 - looks like chrome is gaining on FF
Microsoft IE
4- 7%
Mozilla Firefox
29- 48%
Google Chrome
21- 34%
Opera
5- 8%
Other
2- 3%
"The direwolf graces the banners of House Stark," Jon pointed out. "I am no Stark, Father." A Game of Thrones
(referral link) Season 24 for GPRO racing manager game - starting the 10th of Feb
The OO GPRO thread - come on over and share some data
stessier

Post by stessier »

Thought this was interesting.
CNET wrote:Just look at the browser market. When Microsoft settled the antitrust case, it controlled more than 90 percent of the browser market. In February, according to Net Applications, Internet Explorer held 57 percent market share. It's still the leader. But Firefox has 22 percent of the market, followed by Google's Chrome with 11 percent and Apple's Safari with 6 percent. Certainly one reason for that shift is that the rival browsers are every bit as good, and sometimes significantly better, than Internet Explorer.
To make a comparison with the above easier

IE - 57%
Firefox - 22%
Chrome - 11%
Opera - 6%
Other - 4%
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

stessier wrote: IE - 57%
Firefox - 22%
Chrome - 11%
Opera - 6%
Other - 4%
That very closely matches what visitors to my store are using.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

2015 UPDATE SO, any of you want to change your votes? Any changes in opinion on Web Browsers? I'm finding - actually, for quite a while now - that Firefox seems buggy and slow. Any Web Browser out there that made you say Yowza!
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

I pretty much exclusively use Chrome.. I'm not even sure how/when that happened, just all of a sudden I'm using it at work and home.. Safari is my backup for sites that don't render/behave correctly. Firefox is the new IE.. Bloaty and slow.
No.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I was Firefox, then Chrome.

I am contemplating switching to Vivaldi, but I'm not too sure as I have a lot of config involved in my current Chrome setup, with SafeScript and more.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

FWIW, you can install Chrome plugins into Vivaldi.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

Chrome at home, Safari at work (except for those stupid sites that we have that need me to use IE.)
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Chrome on every device except my phone. But I even have it installed there.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Zaxxon wrote:FWIW, you can install Chrome plugins into Vivaldi.
Yeah, Vivaldi is Chromium based. It's just that this tech preview doesn't include much of an import function. There's no import FROM Chrome (you have to do HTML Bookmark export from Chrome first), and forget about all the extensions you customized.

I like the idea of the notes / contacts / mail right in the browser, and I can see how they can be hooked to Keep / contacts/ Gmail later, but right now... they're not that useful.

Also, there's a weird lag between when I pressed the button vs. when the page starts to re-render. Can't figure whether it's my setup or the browser itself.

Will try further.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I didn't meant to imply that Vivaldi is in any way ready for prime time. Just clarifying that if plugins are the hangup, there is a way around it.
JonathanStrange

Post by JonathanStrange »

I'm thinking of Chrome as my browser. I've heard some good things about Pale Moon which warrants further investigation. I really only need something generically stable though.
The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of OctopusOverlords.com, the forum members of OctopusOverlords, the elusive Mr. Norrell, or JonathanStrange.

Books Read 2013
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Pale Moon is pretty fantastic. highly recommend.
Main features:
Optimized for modern processors
Safe: forked from Firefox and regularly updated.
Supported by a friendly, active community of users
Familiar, efficient, fully customizable interface (no Australis!)
Smooth and speedy page drawing and script processing
Increased stability: experience fewer browser crashes
Support for many Firefox extensions (add-ons) and themes
New: support for Pale Moon exclusive extensions and themes
Extensive and growing support for HTML5 and CSS3
Many customization and configuration options
Able to import existing Firefox profiles with the migration tool
it's Firefox with legacy code removed and using the old interface, if that interests you.
Holman

Post by Holman »

I like Pale Moon and have just now made it my default browser. After just a day's use I'm impressed with how clean and fast it is.

Hopefully this will eliminate the script errors and crashing I've been getting with Firefox.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote:I didn't meant to imply that Vivaldi is in any way ready for prime time. Just clarifying that if plugins are the hangup, there is a way around it.
Vivaldi hit beta today, and now directly supports the Chrome extension store. It doesn't yet sync your content and settings like Chrome does, but for one-PC use it's come a long way since those first Tech Previews.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote:
Zaxxon wrote:I didn't meant to imply that Vivaldi is in any way ready for prime time. Just clarifying that if plugins are the hangup, there is a way around it.
Vivaldi hit beta today, and now directly supports the Chrome extension store. It doesn't yet sync your content and settings like Chrome does, but for one-PC use it's come a long way since those first Tech Previews.
Hey, look! It's me again! I've been using Vivaldi as my main browser on desktop for several months now. It's come a long way since the beta I last mentioned. Further, Vivaldi 1.8 hit today with some new features.

Their mobile release is still not here, and session/settings sync is missing along with it. Once those are there I think it'll compete very well with Chrome. Until then, you've got to be willing to live without those features. If you are, though, it's a great little browser. Really feels to me a lot like Opera did in the 1999-2005 timeframe, when it was kicking ass and taking names among geeks who wanted a ton of control over their browser and a more advanced feature set than the big browsers provided.

Anyway, consider giving it a shot if you haven't looked in awhile. The back-end is Chromium, so site compatibility really isn't an issue. Chrome extensions all work (or all the ones I use or have tried, anyway).
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Desktop Browser Market Share
BROWSER TOTAL MARKET SHARE
Chrome 58.53%
Internet Explorer 19.17%
Firefox 11.68%
Microsoft Edge 5.55%
Safari 3.45%
Opera 1.22%
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

That really surprises me. The order seems normal but the big lead for Chrome and the poor showing for Firefox are both not what I expected. For that matter I'm a little surprised that Safari is so low but I'm not a Macbook person; maybe it really is bad.
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I've been slowly transitioning to Vivaldi. I'm not unhappy with Opera but Vivaldi feels more like the old Opera than the new Opera does. I just have to get my settings/bookmarks/logins/etc slowly transferred over.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I'm still on Firefox because it has the best extensions still. (but use uBlock instead of AdBlock, it's far less processor intensive).

Tab Mix Plus is my killer app/ext (aside from uBlock), but I also use:

a JavaScript toggle (great for killing adblocking detection, and other issues
Privacy Badger/Ghostery
https everywhere
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I recently and reluctantly switched from years of Firefox use to Chrome.

I do miss a couple of key extensions that I really loved that were FF only, but 90% are on Chrome, and those that are on both seem to be more updated, integrated and robust in the Chrome version.

FF just became too damn slow and crashy in the past couple of years, and I did everything to try and remedy that from the user side.
Enough

Post by Enough »

Carpet_pissr wrote:I recently and reluctantly switched from years of Firefox use to Chrome.

I do miss a couple of key extensions that I really loved that were FF only, but 90% are on Chrome, and those that are on both seem to be more updated, integrated and robust in the Chrome version.

FF just became too damn slow and crashy in the past couple of years, and I did everything to try and remedy that from the user side.
And with FF dropping support for NPAPI Plugins that advantage is going to continue to go away. Just curious, what are your most-missed extensions?
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Tab Mix Plus and the one that uploaded images automatically to imgur - with one right click (iirc) on any image, it would upload to imgur and put it into your clipboard for pasting. Pretty slick.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Imgur plugin for Chrome allows you to right-click to register, or you can capture an area of a page for hosting. It's very handy
McNutt

Post by McNutt »

I'm still using Opera. I tried Vivaldi awhile back. Sounds like I need to try it again.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It really has improved markedly in the past six months.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Isgrimnur wrote:The Imgur plugin for Chrome allows you to right-click to register, or you can capture an area of a page for hosting. It's very handy
Hot damn! Time to get weird!

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

That'll do it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Congratulations: That's the first time I've ever been grossed out in General Computing.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Isgrimnur wrote:The Imgur plugin for Chrome allows you to right-click to register, or you can capture an area of a page for hosting. It's very handy
Which one? I saw about 40.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

It was the first one that came up for me from a "imgur" search in extensions.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My tool tip says "...by Metronomik".
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Ouch, those permissions are scary. "Read and change your data on the websites you visit." "Read and modify data that you copy and paste." "Send notifications."
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Chrome is crashing on me a bunch, tried Firefox yesterday and had issues, so I'm seriously considering Edge. Anyone using it? I really don't want to use the others, I'm looking for something more mainstream.
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I tried Edge for a while, but didn't care for it. It is speedy though (or feels speedy). Probably because it's not loaded with extensions.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

FWIW, I've got no issues with Edge. Well, except for one older banking site that requires Java to deposit a check via my scanner so I use IE for that. Or (finally) their mobile app.
-mf
Giles Habibula

Post by Giles Habibula »

Decided I'd better update my vote.
About two years ago, I switched from IE to Chrome, and never looked back.
"I've been fighting with reality for over thirty-five years, and I'm happy to say that I finally won out over it." -- Elwood P. Dowd
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Firefox released its new "Quantum" update today that's supposed to fix and re-design everything including the kitchen sink. I'm going to give it a whirl, as it says it is supposed to be faster and more efficient than Chrome. I have an older PC and laptop and that could be a good thing.
Z-Corn

Post by Z-Corn »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:12 pm Firefox released its new "Quantum" update today that's supposed to fix and re-design everything including the kitchen sink. I'm going to give it a whirl, as it says it is supposed to be faster and more efficient than Chrome. I have an older PC and laptop and that could be a good thing.
I'm using it, seems fast!
Enough

Post by Enough »

Definitely quicker! I am a sad panda over some of my lost extensions, a good half of mine are not compatible with the new engine. I already was transitioning to Chrome and now many of my missing extensions can only be duplicated on Chrome. Hmmm...

On another note, I've had a few crashes on the new one and it just seems to instantly open back up again afterwards without any input.
My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell