Windows 9, er, 10.

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

RunningMn9

Re: Windows 9, er, 10.

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm trying really hard to understand why an image resize tool isn't baked into the Win10 Microsoft Photo app.
It's a photo slideshow viewer, not an editing app. That's why God invented Paint.NET :)
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm still using IrfanView from previous forum recommendations.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

RunningMn9 wrote:It's a photo slideshow viewer, not an editing app. That's why God invented Paint.NET :)
And yet I can sharpen things, retouch elements and adjust colors. But resize the photo? That's would be ridiculous.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Smoove_B wrote:And yet I can sharpen things, retouch elements and adjust colors. But resize the photo? That's would be ridiculous.
Fair enough. I've never once actually run the Windows 10 app.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Holy &%$@*^#&%$@*^#&%$@*^#&%$@*^#&%$@*^#&%$@*^#&%$@*^#&%$@*^#&%$@*^&%$@*^#&%$@*^#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After hours of sensible attempts to fix the problem with four different network adapters, it turned out to be nothing but ZoneAlarm. Exiting it wasn't enough. No adapters would work until it was completely uninstalled. It has been on here for years and I don't know what changed, but I thought the fact that it wasn't running made it irrelevant.

That's about 20 hours of my life over the last two weeks that I'll never get back. :roll:
I have but one advocate.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I just saw something the other day discussing how many, many software firewalls had gone haywire under Win10. I didn't look past the headline, or I might have seen something to help you sooner.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

JetFred wrote:Holy &%$@*^#&%$@*^#&%$@*^#&%$@*^#&%$@*^#&%$@*^#&%$@*^#&%$@*^#&%$@*^&%$@*^#&%$@*^#!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After hours of sensible attempts to fix the problem with four different network adapters, it turned out to be nothing but ZoneAlarm. Exiting it wasn't enough. No adapters would work until it was completely uninstalled. It has been on here for years and I don't know what changed, but I thought the fact that it wasn't running made it irrelevant.

That's about 20 hours of my life over the last two weeks that I'll never get back. :roll:
Indeed, that's why my initial suspicion was a third party firewall driver messing with your network configuration.

Glad you were finally able to get to the bottom of it, though.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

Yes, I know, you were right, shut up 8-)
I have but one advocate.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I know this has been discussed before, but...

The network guy at work just told me that Windows Defender is enough antivirus for his personal computer but that he is a "fringe case". He hasn't told me what a network guy does at home that makes him need minimal security. Do you think Defender and Firewall are enough? Our three laptops are all running Kaspersky because we got a 3-PC license with one of the laptops. But since Zone Alarm on the desktop tried to kill me, should I replace it with something?
I have but one advocate.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I only run the default MS firewall and antivirus and haven't had any infections on my two machines. Same story with Wife's three machines. Every few months I run crapcleaner and malwarebytes just to make sure nothing slipped past, and they find low-level stuff like tracking cookies. I consider myself reasonably cautious but I don't pirate software or install free toolbars or dabble in white slavery or anything like that.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

I should probably add that I do have a premium version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware running. I tend to only download from trustworthy sites and I don't even torrent. The most risky behavior I engage in besides surfing the web is leaving Java installed. Although I think maybe I'll uninstall it until another program asks for it.
I have but one advocate.
Anonymous Bosch

As I understand it, stand alone software firewalls no longer really exist for Windows, anyway; third-party firewall utilities are just a GUI/front-end for the Windows Filtering Platform. So they're essentially gimmicks, and aren't necessarily going to block/allow traffic any better than the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security (WFAS). And there are plenty of decent freeware options that provide more attractive front-ends and GUIs to ease management of WFAS (e.g. GlassWire, BiniSoft Windows Firewall Control, Windows 10 Firewall Control by SphinxSoftware, and Windows Firewall Notifier).
Last edited by Anonymous Bosch on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My Comodo Internet Security still runs fine, and it has a built-in antivirus. I do have Malware-Bytes anti-exploit running, and I occasionally scan with Spybot S&D.

I can tell you Comodo *does* install a firewall driver and it's shown in device manager. I can't tell you what it does, of course.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

JetFred wrote:The network guy at work just told me that Windows Defender is enough antivirus for his personal computer but that he is a "fringe case". He hasn't told me what a network guy does at home that makes him need minimal security.
He probably has a set number of sites he trusts and visits, uses a two or three ad-blockers, never clicks ads that get through, knows how to avoid bad email attachments, doesn't deal in pirated media, and sits behind a firewall/router that doesn't forward the world's sputum to his computer. In short, he feels safe and thinks he's above getting infected randomly.

Your 'average' user is less safe, and the scale moves rapidly downhill as the user shifts through degrees of computer knowledge, until it bottoms out with Grandpa Jones who clicks everything regardless of how often you tell him not to and gave away his bank account info to a phone scammer in Russia. No amount of internet security will help him.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Anonymous Bosch

Kasey Chang wrote:My Comodo Internet Security still runs fine, and it has a built-in antivirus. I do have Malware-Bytes anti-exploit running, and I occasionally scan with Spybot S&D.

I can tell you Comodo *does* install a firewall driver and it's shown in device manager. I can't tell you what it does, of course.
CIS and the Comodo Firewall use WFP.
Rip

Post by Rip »

Paingod wrote:
JetFred wrote:The network guy at work just told me that Windows Defender is enough antivirus for his personal computer but that he is a "fringe case". He hasn't told me what a network guy does at home that makes him need minimal security.
He probably has a set number of sites he trusts and visits, uses a two or three ad-blockers, never clicks ads that get through, knows how to avoid bad email attachments, doesn't deal in pirated media, and sits behind a firewall/router that doesn't forward the world's sputum to his computer. In short, he feels safe and thinks he's above getting infected randomly.

Your 'average' user is less safe, and the scale moves rapidly downhill as the user shifts through degrees of computer knowledge, until it bottoms out with Grandpa Jones who clicks everything regardless of how often you tell him not to and gave away his bank account info to a phone scammer in Russia. No amount of internet security will help him.
Yea, he is probably like me. I do a lot of my browsing through remote systems that do run more extreme protection and VMs, I have some software I run manually like Malwarebytes occasionally. But I don't like my system to be wasting a bunch of cycles and memory on applications running I don't need most of the time. When I need them I know it.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

So the Anniversary update changed the UAC prompt. I liked the layout of the old one as it had both the password and pin prompt up and all I had to do was press down-arrow to move to the pin and then done. Now it prompts for the password and then you have to click 'More Choices' then clink on 'PIN' and then finally put in the pin. Anyone know if there is any way to change which one it defaults to first? Tried searching but had no luck. :(
-mf
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

slowly restoring my settings. i lost soooooo many game saves - i reallllly hope SteamCloud saved most of them...

the only good news is that i have most of my HDD space back, since... all my games were deleted. small consolation, however.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Use GameSave Manager periodically. Saves all your savegames, SteamCloud or not.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Kasey Chang wrote:Use GameSave Manager periodically. Saves all your savegames, SteamCloud or not.
i was, but the last time i had backed up my save games was many months before. at least i have my Binding of Isaac progress.
JetFred

Post by JetFred »

My favorite Windows 7 killer - won't shut down because the logoff sound fails.
My favorite Windows 10 killer - won't shut down because notification center fails. When telling you to report unreported problems. With notification center. Failing.
I have but one advocate.
Biyobi

Post by Biyobi »

Pleasantly surprised with the license for the free upgrade. Motherboard died on me over the weekend so I took the opportunity to upgrade. I was worried that since the free license is "tied to the machine" I was going to be SOL due to the new mobo/CPU/ram and need a new one. Sure enough, 10 minutes after booting up I got the warning saying my license wasn't valid for the machine. Fortunately, the fix was as easy as re-entering the Win7 license key I upgraded from.

I went from an i7-2700k to an i5-6600k. It took about 15-ish minutes for the system to update to the Skylake appropriate drivers and get to the desktop. Win10 had all but one of device drivers for the ASUS mobo. I have good air cooling and the ASUS overclock software keeps it comfortably at 4.2ghz without it getting hot.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

BooTx wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:Better not do that for laptops (download automatically). sometimes I'm on a data limited connection...
I've been using 10 for a few months now and this absolutely was an issue. I did find out that you can set your connection to "metered" and it will stop the updates. It's certainly not ideal, but it turns a deal-breaker into merely an annoyance.
PC World
While there’s no official way to prevent updates in Windows 10 Home, a workaround is to mark your Wi-Fi connection as metered. The Windows Insider Preview Build 15058 released on Tuesday reduces the effectiveness of that workaround, as WinSuperSite recently spotted.

In build 15058, heading to Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update reveals the following note: “We’ll automatically download and install updates, except on metered connections (where charges may apply). In that case, we’ll automatically download only those updates required to keep Windows running smoothly.”

That last sentence, where Microsoft says it will automatically download updates to keep “Windows running smoothly,” is absent in the current version of Windows 10. Microsoft told WinSuperSite it made the change so that it has the ability force critical update patches if necessary. “We don’t plan to send large updates over metered connections, but could use this for critical fixes if needed in the future,” Microsoft said.
The good news is that while Microsoft is taking a little bit away from Wi-Fi metered connections—assuming this change makes the final cut for the upcoming Creator’s Update—the company is also giving back. The new metered connections settings in build 15058 also allow users to set a wired ethernet connection as metered, while the current version of Windows 10 allows this for Wi-Fi connections only.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

PC World
Microsoft keeps trying to prove that Windows 10 may be the best thing that ever happened to desktop Linux. The company is yet again adding ads to Windows 10, but this time it’s in possibly the most egregious spot yet: File Explorer.
Right now, the only ad reported is for an Office 365 subscription, hidden in an offer to expand your OneDrive cloud storage space. It appears in a large tile area at the top of the File Explorer window with two buttons to either “Learn More” or to dismiss it with “Not Now.”
While the new ads are surprising, really we should have seen this coming. In August, Microsoft rolled out Windows Insider Preview build 14901, which included a new “notifications” feature. Notifications appeared at the top of File Explorer—just as they do now for people getting hit with ads. At the time, Microsoft said the notifications would be used for “product education,” which we should’ve expected was code for “trying to sell you more stuff.”

Luckily, there appears to be an easy way to banish File Explorer ads—though sadly, it's not tied to any of the settings you need to disable Windows 10's other ads.

Open an Explorer window and go to View > Options > Change folder and search options. In the properties window that opens, click on the View tab, and under Advanced settings scroll down and uncheck “Show sync provider notifications.” The list is organized alphabetically.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

I never thought I’d be writing “How to turn off ads in the Windows Start menu,” but here we are.
Microsoft keeps trying to prove that Windows 10 may be the best thing that ever happened to desktop Linux.
i'm nearly there myself. if it weren't for the pile of Windows-only games i have (that don't run fantastic under WINE), i'd have switched to Ubuntu already. absolutely shameful of M$.

in the meantime:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3039827/ ... -them.html
While there’s no way to disable the ads in Solitaire and Minesweeper (sacrilege! horror!) short of paying $10 per year per app—not even a one-time purchase, but a subscription
...what??
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Who in the jolly name of Bill Gates would pay a yearly subscription of $20 to disable ads for Solitaire and Minesweeper?

I'm still rocking Windows 7 Pro, having bypassed Windows 10 "for free!" because "free" seemed "too good to be true" and I wanted to see what the real endgame was before moving.

So far, no regrets. I've been watching this escalate, and I'm not amused with Microsoft. I'm glad there's some pushback and tools to use, but it seems like MS will keep making you fight back and never really give you back control of your computer again.

Out of curiosity, if you didn't snap up the "Free" version of Win10, are you still subjected to ads if you actually buy a licensed copy?
Black Lives Matter

hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Paingod wrote: Out of curiosity, if you didn't snap up the "Free" version of Win10, are you still subjected to ads if you actually buy a licensed copy?
this is indeed the case
stessier

Post by stessier »

I don't see anything I recognize as ads, which is all I care about. Most of what that article describes is like seeing an ad on a Kindle sleep screen - it is so easy to block out that I don't even see them anymore.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

stessier wrote:I don't see anything I recognize as ads, which is all I care about. Most of what that article describes is like seeing an ad on a Kindle sleep screen - it is so easy to block out that I don't even see them anymore.
I went out and paid an extra $20 to make that go away when I got my Kindle. It infuriated me to pick it up and see what amounted to junk mail in my hands, and kind of ruined the initial moments of getting back into my book.
Black Lives Matter

stessier

Post by stessier »

Paingod wrote:
stessier wrote:I don't see anything I recognize as ads, which is all I care about. Most of what that article describes is like seeing an ad on a Kindle sleep screen - it is so easy to block out that I don't even see them anymore.
I went out and paid an extra $20 to make that go away when I got my Kindle. It infuriated me to pick it up and see what amounted to junk mail in my hands, and kind of ruined the initial moments of getting back into my book.
I remembered you posting that which is why I described it that way so you'd know what it was like.

I still don't get your disgust, but I don't have to live with you so it's all good. :D
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

stessier wrote:
Paingod wrote:
I remembered you posting that which is why I described it that way so you'd know what it was like.

I still don't get your disgust, but I don't have to live with you so it's all good. :D
I suppose I'd prefer to live in a pre-internet advertising society where you could easily avoid it. It kind of bothers me that I'm a digital profile that people earn money on by selling me around to their friends. I always opt out of "participation" options that send my data back home. I never thought I'd live in a world like Minority Report, where I'd walk through a store and it would scan my eyes and throw custom ads at me as I walked by - but it's getting closer by the day. I'll be the weirdo wearing "scanner blocking" sunglasses all the time.

I suppose, when I'm an old fart, I won't be yelling "Get off my lawn!" I'll be yelling "Let go of my profile!"
Black Lives Matter

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Task bar constantly asks me if I want a trial for Office 365 and it every time I restart my machine, the first time I use Firefox task bar insists that I would really better off if I used Edge (which stinks as a browser)

It only pisses me off when the 365 adds pop up and disturbs me when I'm playing a game or streaming media.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I bought Office (although not 365), so maybe that's why it doesn't bug me about it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've got 10 on four machines, and I've never seen a single suggestion/ad/notification.

The only thing I do special is that I ran the Spybot Anti-Beacon once.
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Microsoft released a new version of Windows 10 (Creators Update) that come with a Game Mode feature. It is available now for manual update (Using Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant) and will be available from Windows Update in phases starting next Tuesday.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Privacy granularity
Till now there are three options (Basic, Enhanced, Full) for Windows 10 users to select from under its diagnostics data collection section, with no option for users to opt out of sending their data to Microsoft.

Also, the company has never said precisely what data it collects behind these options, which raised huge privacy concerns among privacy-conscious users.

But now for the first time, Microsoft has revealed what data Windows 10 is collecting from your computer with the release of the Windows 10 Creators Update, bringing an end to nearly two years of its mysterious data collection practices.

The Windows 10 Creators Update, which will be available from April 11 for users to download for free, comes with a revamped Privacy settings section.
KDH

Post by KDH »

Blackhawk wrote:I've got 10 on four machines, and I've never seen a single suggestion/ad/notification.

The only thing I do special is that I ran the Spybot Anti-Beacon once.

ditto .. except (full disclosure) it's only one machine for me

spybot anti-beacon has a switch that makes sure that your settings aren't changed by a MS update after a reboot
Ain't nobody got time for that
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

KDH wrote:spybot anti-beacon has a switch that makes sure that your settings aren't changed by a MS update after a reboot
Really!?!

I might just need to look in to that. That could be huge given the irrecoverable crashes I've had have always been after an update.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Just the Microsoft Nosiness settings.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Victoria Raverna wrote:Microsoft released a new version of Windows 10 (Creators Update) that come with a Game Mode feature. It is available now for manual update (Using Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant) and will be available from Windows Update in phases starting next Tuesday.
Has anyone installed this yet? My computer is nagging me.