Kickstarter 2015-2016 - Mostly Tabletop, but we aren't picky

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

Zarathud

Re: Kickstarter 2015-2016 - Mostly Tabletop, but we aren't p

Post by Zarathud »

Ugh. Rumor is that Pebble is going to be acquired by Fitbit for its technology at a bargain price. I'm annoyed about the $10-30 computer game kickstarters that have failed, but getting screwed on the Pebble Time 2 is going to suck. Partially because it would have been nice for Christmas, but even more because it's the only watch I can wear without having a skin metal reaction.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
ironwulf

Post by ironwulf »

Zarathud wrote:Ugh. Rumor is that Pebble is going to be acquired by Fitbit for its technology at a bargain price. I'm annoyed about the $10-30 computer game kickstarters that have failed, but getting screwed on the Pebble Time 2 is going to suck. Partially because it would have been nice for Christmas, but even more because it's the only watch I can wear without having a skin metal reaction.
Ugh is right. I've already received my Pebble 2, meant for my wife for Christmas but now looks like I'm screwed on the Time 2 that hasn't shipped.
Oh so ironic is that the Pebble 2 for my wife is meant to be a replacement for the Fitbit she currently has and has frustrations with.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Zarathud, what is the solo game like for Vast?
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Zarathud wrote:Ugh. Rumor is that Pebble is going to be acquired by Fitbit for its technology at a bargain price. I'm annoyed about the $10-30 computer game kickstarters that have failed, but getting screwed on the Pebble Time 2 is going to suck. Partially because it would have been nice for Christmas, but even more because it's the only watch I can wear without having a skin metal reaction.
Damn, that really sucks.

I haven't backed the Time 2, but I've been really looking forward to it and it was high on my list of potential smartwatch.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

My copy of the new Mistfall expansion and the mini expansion add on arrived today. Now I have 12 characters to choose from, a crap ton of reward and gear cards, oodles of new quests, and scads...scads I tell you...of new enemies. Not to mention the new ally and event mechanics. I do loves me some Mistfall.

Unfortunately there's already a small number of typos found. Including one on a damn character charter. But I've come to expect that these days. That many cards seems to result in some issues with smaller developer projects. :cry:
Covfefe!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

baelthazar wrote:Zarathud, what is the solo game like for Vast?
I never played solo, but you roll a dice for an effect and place tiles based on one of your statistics. I would think be ok to learn some of the player mechanics but it would break the tension of the players playing against each other that's the core of the game.

The Hero-Goblin-Dragon dynamic is pretty fun and the core. The Thief plays a griefer and an annoyance to the others. The Cave becomes the game timer and pushes against the leader.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

ironwulf wrote:
Ugh is right. I've already received my Pebble 2, meant for my wife for Christmas but now looks like I'm screwed on the Time 2 that hasn't shipped.
Oh so ironic is that the Pebble 2 for my wife is meant to be a replacement for the Fitbit she currently has and has frustrations with.
It's official. Unfulfilled rewards are going to be refunded.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Zarathud

Kickstarter 2015-2016 - Mostly Tabletop, but we aren't picky

Post by Zarathud »

In March if there's anything left. It was only an asset sale, so the husk of Pebble goes through bankruptcy proceedings first. Hopefully fitbit paid enough to cover the wind down. Very disappointed, as Pebble was a great product.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I was just going by what they posted in their kickstarter update. If they aren't able to do the refunds they are promising, that is disappointing.
Zarathud wrote:Very disappointed, as Pebble was a great product.
Having owned a couple and a more recognized brand smart watch I disagree.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Copies of Mistfall and the expansion have arrived. I'm looking forward to pulling it all apart, reading the directions and allowing them to collect dust. This really is a very strange hobby I've started.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Played a bit of the first quest from the Mistfall expansion earlier this week and enjoyed it quite a bit. So many new monsters. I also like the refined time mechanic. You still can't dawdle, but now it feels fair.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm very confused regarding the expansion. I had thought I should use the "learn to play guide" to...learn to play the original game. But apparently I'm supposed to just smoosh (technical term) both sets together and use the Heart of the Mists learn to play guide instead. I just can't get my brain around that, but as you mention they apparently changed a fundamental rule of the game...so I'd spend time learning how to play the original, only to change that for the expansion. It was my understanding that there would be no math.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Toss the rule book from the base game in a fireplace. Then put the time charters and all other non hero boards from the base game in a drawer. Do the same with the time cards.

Use the learn to play that was written for the expansion and play through the intro quest. You'll eventually be able to combine the rewards, monsters, encounters and quests for both games with no problem. But try a learning game before you do.

If you want to try the old time card mechanic someday, you can just pull those out of the drawer and do so at some point. But I doubt I'll go back to that myself.

If you have any questions, just ask. I've played the game quite a bit and I think I have it pretty well memorized by this point. Just remember to refer to the handy player aids they included this time.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well..geez. I guess I should have just opted for the expansion instead of the original, updated game? I can't think of a single board game I own where I skip the original to learn the expansion and then mix the original in at some point. It just feels...off. :D Regardless, I've read through the start guide and skimmed the rules. It doesn't seem too crazy and I really like the mechanics. I'm excited to give it whirl.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You want both, trust me. The only thing that you shouldn't use from the base game is the old time charter (actually, just use the non hero charters from the expansion for everything and set the ones in the base game aside), the time cards and the rule book. Everything else you can just throw together after you play through the learn to play sheet.

With the base and the expansion, you have around 13 heroes to choose from, as well as a ton of new monsters, rewards, quests and encounters. You're swimming in an obscene amount of gaming overkill...which I think we all strive for.

As for feeling "off", wait until you start playing. It's initially very strange to NOT shuffle your cards, and to pull cards from your discard and draw piles frequently. It's a very odd beast, but it works wonderfully once you get going.
Covfefe!
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

Finally got our fidgetcubes! Sprung for the covers to attach to keys. Clicks and slides etc, looking forward to trying it at work tonight.
Enlarge Image
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
Holman

Post by Holman »

tjg_marantz wrote:Finally got our fidgetcubes! Sprung for the covers to attach to keys. Clicks and slides etc, looking forward to trying it at work tonight.
Enlarge Image
Wow--they raised $6.5 million?

I can see the appeal of the product, but that's just huge.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

tjg_marantz wrote:Finally got our fidgetcubes! Sprung for the covers to attach to keys. Clicks and slides etc, looking forward to trying it at work tonight.
Enlarge Image
Those look really interesting. I move my legs constantly, so I wonder if that kind of thing would be good for me. In part, I think the entire idea has some potential. I would love to see some research of how they affect classroom performance.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
A new study suggests that for children with attention disorders, hyperactive movements meant better performance on a task that requires concentration. The researchers gave a small group of boys, ages 8 to 12, a sequence of random letters and numbers. Their job: Repeat back the numbers in order, plus the last letter in the bunch. All the while, the kids were sitting in a swiveling chair.

For the subjects diagnosed with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, moving and spinning in the chair were correlated with better performance. For typically developing kids, however, it was the opposite: The more they moved, the worse they did on the task.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Very interesting.

I also walk around the room when I lecture. I think it probably drives my students crazy.
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

Just got my Arcadia Quest Inferno and Pets KS boxes. Have not yet opened them, but the boxes are huge! I look forward to it!
tjg_marantz

Post by tjg_marantz »

baelthazar wrote:Very interesting.

I also walk around the room when I lecture. I think it probably drives my students crazy.
Well it sounds like this might be something right up your alley. :) They are slowly getting out orders so new orders might take a bit. There are knock offs out there but from what I hear they aren't quite up to snuff on quality.

Definitely kept me occupied on some calls over the weekend :)
Home of the Akimbo AWPs
baelthazar

Post by baelthazar »

On the plus side, the pacing while I talk on the phone and lecture is probably good exercise!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

My Field Skillet arrived today. :wub:
-mf
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

MonkeyFinger wrote:My Field Skillet arrived today. :wub:
Wow, I picked up a cast-iron frying pan at a yard-sale for $5 over 10 years ago. Still one of the best frying pans I own.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote:Copies of Mistfall and the expansion have arrived. I'm looking forward to pulling it all apart, reading the directions and allowing them to collect dust. This really is a very strange hobby I've started.
Have you had a chance to play this yet, Smoove?
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No, because I printed out the expansion quick start document, started reading it and realized I needed a color version - the black and white was making the iconography useless. I was also having a really, really hard time processing the instructions, which might (or not) be related to the B&W nature of my instructions. My feeling was that it was so unlike every other game I've played or they were phrasing things in such a different way (maybe because it's a Euro card RPG?) it just wasn't making sense. The combat in particular - the terms they were using and how you figure out how to block or reduce incoming attacks or damage was making me dizzy. I likely need to watch a Youtube video of it being played and then re-read the instructions when my color copy arrives. It was much more complicated than I expected and I'm generally terrible at teaching myself games.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Mistfall shares more in common with Mage Knight than it does Pathfinder ACG, which is both a pro and a con. It can be a bit UNintuitive for folks used to deck builders. Just remember that there are three card locations: buried (which is out of play and results in your death if all your cards are buried), discarded (out of your hand, but a lot of card abilities allow you to pick them back up, and heal allows you to grab them from the discard, or put buried cards into your discard pile) or in your draw pile. Well, four if you count your hand as a location.

The player aid that helped me the most from BGG is the one they made into the official player aid in Heart of the Mists. Just follow along with the flow it gives you and you'll get the hang of it. And don't hesitate to ask me any questions. I know it seems daunting because of the poor rule book and the heavier than normal rules, but once you get going it all makes sense.

By the way, there's a great overview of each hero in this player strategy guide. Refer to if you have any questions about a particular card's ability.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'll check those out, thanks. I'm comfortable with the Pathfinder game and didn't have any issues understanding the Arkham Horror LCG. It's likely just a matter of breaking through my notions or assumptions of what I should be doing and just following what they want me to do.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Sorry, didn't mean to make that sound as if I thought you couldn't handle the game. I just meant that it's a pretty deep game in comparison to Pathfinder ACG. Hell, it took me about 4 plays before I finally figured out where all the pieces parts fit together.

I feel partially responsible for anyone purchasing the game considering how much I've praised it around here. I'd feel horrible if someone hated the game in light of that.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Nah, no offense taken at all. I really like (and understood easily) Mage Knight - that tutorial / intro booklet was top-notch. This one is just not as intuitive (as you've pointed out), and I think that's the problem. Not a deck builder, but I picked up the Warfighter game last year and was able to figure out the basics in under an hour - because it just feels intuitive. Mistfall...not so much. I'm also a bit bummed that I purchased the original as part of the KS but should not use it to learn how to play. I'd assumed I'd be starting there first and working into the expansion, instead of what I've been advised (by you and others) to do instead - start with the expansion, learn that system and then mix the original in to the expansion and play with new rules. It's all...strange. I'm also just not good at teaching myself these things, but if someone can show me the basics I am a really fast learner and good at remembering rule issues or where there are weird mechanics. But until I get the basics down, I just can't process it all.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I keep dancing around Warfighter. Especially the WW2 version.

I wouldn't be disappointed in getting the first game. Trust me, you're going to want all those heroes, reward cards and monsters soon. Probably after your first tutorial game even.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sadly, there aren't any updated tutorials with the new system that I can find on Youtube - everything looks to be based on the original game.

Warfighter is fun and I'm really impressed with how it scales for solo or group play. Reminds me of the Dawn of the Zeds 3rd edition that way. My buddy picked up a retail copy of the WW2 version of Warfighter but hasn't had time to try it yet.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I had considered backing Cthulhu: The Deck Building Game when it showed up on Kickstarter a while back, but ultimately passed on it. From the reviews on BGG though, it looks like I dodged a bullet. Ouch.
After Death: The Gardener left behind his hedge clippers. At the start of the Planning phase, the Investigators may sneak a peek at the next card on the Mythos deck.

I don't get it. What is so special about these hedge clippers? Is there a portal to Hell, concealed only by shrubbery? Are the Old Ones hiding behind the rosebushes of the Miskatonic University?
I do love Cthulhu themed games myself, but to me this game so far is the worst one I've played, and basically just seems like a knife fight in a phone booth where one character is a simpleton and the other is an elder god...
:lol:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hepcat wrote:Have you had a chance to play this yet, Smoove?
Finally! Someone released a video play through for Mistfall: Heart of the Mists so I can read the instructions and watch someone play - it's the best way for me to learn. There's now a real chance I can figure this out. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Punisher wrote:Just received the first part of this today
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... escription

Wave 2 is due Feb I think.

Only took a quick glance inside so far. May try to play this weekend.
I picked up the core at Adepticon 2017 here in Illinois yesterday. They had it on sale for 35 bucks. I played a demo of it and it really hits the spot for a quick minis game that incorporates some of the old All Things Zombie board game from years ago.
Covfefe!
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

Was not expecting a package from France but that's what showed up today. My CE box for "Torment", to be exact. Very nice stuffs in there including the very old school cloth map. 8-)
-mf
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My Game Canopy arrived this weekend. It's a very nice bag to carry games!

They shipped me a second full-size Canopy rather than a mid-sized Vanguard, but hopefully that can get resolved easily. It would be nice to bring all the games to Octocon, but the smaller size will be useful for most weekends.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

"Endure the Stars" arrived yesterday. 8-)
-mf
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

Did anyone else Kickstart Conan? I received my hardcover campaign book for it yesterday. For me, this takes an already good game and makes it great. My biggest complaint with the base game was that there were only two 5 player scenarios. Well, the entire campaign is built for 5 players, has branching scenarios, epilogue text between missions and a full on character progression system.

This is probably going to be in my top 5 add-ons for a board game ever, although I do have to wonder why this wasn’t part of the base game in the first place.