Tabletop Randomness

All discussions regarding Board, Card, and RPG Gaming, including industry discussion, that don't belong in one of the other gaming forums.

Moderators: The Preacher, $iljanus, Zaxxon

hepcat

Re: Gaming randomness

Post by hepcat »

The orchestra I keep on the payroll will usually start my theme song.
Covfefe!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

There seems to be a number of workshop versions of Mansions of Madness. Do you not like any of them? Or is the issue trying to incorporate the app into play?

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

what I was hoping for was a way to mirror the app so my friends overseas could play along while I keep the map and other material on a FaceTime session or Skype. I think I can just use steam and join me or teamviewer though.
Covfefe!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Board Game League... CivVI...

I had a very full weekend of board gaming last week at the expense of my first CivVI weekend.
I really need my first CivVI weekend
But then, I never game or even like talk to people any more.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

UK PETA
The grimdark, battle-hardened warriors are known for their martial prowess – but wearing the skins of dead animals doesn’t take any skill.

Indeed, nothing on the bloody battlefields of Warhammer’s conflict-ravaged universe could match the terrible reality that foxes, minks, rabbits, and other living beings experience at the hands of the fur trade.
PETA has written to Games Workshop CEO Kevin Rountree asking that the leading British miniature war-gaming brand ban “fur” garments from all Warhammer characters. While we appreciate that they are fictional, draping them in what looks like a replica of a dead animal sends the message that wearing fur is acceptable – when, in fact, it has no more place in 2017 than it would in the year 40,000.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Fresh out of college at my first job, my employer gave us a charitable donation allowance of a few hundred dollars a year to donate as we saw fit. I initially put mine towards PETA because I was trying to impress some girl at work who was a major animal lover. Fortunately, I quickly realized that both the girl and the group were ridiculous a large portion of the time.
Covfefe!
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i was in the mood for a puzzle game, and eventually came around to the realization i had never finished Portal 2, so.... good fun. this series is just satisfying to play - even though it's easier than, say, The Talos Project (where the star puzzles can be pretty thoroughly hidden).

it's feeling a little too drawn-out, though.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the CIA uses board games to train officers:
In “Collection,” Clopper’s first CIA game, teams of analysts work together to solve international crises against a ticking clock. His second title, “Collection Deck,” is a Pokémon-like card game in which where each card represents either an intelligence collection strategy or a hurdle like red tape or bureaucracy.

For instance, a player could lay out a card to collect intelligence via satellite photos, but an opponent could block them by playing a “ground station failure” card. It’s meant to mimic situations analysts might run into in their actual work.
I thought this was interesting. Reminded me of trying to get through games like Dead of Winter or Robinson Crusoe:
Also speaking on the panel was Volko Ruhnke, who is an intelligence educator at the CIA and a freelance game designer. Ruhnke said he is particularly interested in one type of game: a simulation tabletop game to train analysts and help with analytic tasks. It could help forecast complex situations by forcing players to handle multiple scenarios simultaneously.

Ruhnke himself created a commercial board game to simulate the Afghanistan conflict and walk players through military, political, and economic issues in the region. It gives players “a much more dynamic understanding of the issues of modern Afghanistan,” Ruhnke said, adding that a similar game could be of use internally at the CIA as well.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I just opened this thread to post the same article. I knew Ruhnke worked with the CIA, but it was still a surprise to see his name linked to them in that piece.
Covfefe!
Daveman

Post by Daveman »

Smoove_B wrote:
Pokémon-like card game in which where each card represents either an intelligence collection strategy or a hurdle like red tape or bureaucracy.
"Aldrich Ames, use Waterboarding!"
Holman

Post by Holman »

I think this is actually the second article to discuss Volko and his games in connection with the CIA (or least in connection with intelligence agencies in general).

Other active wargame designers (e.g. Brian Train and Mark Herman) have recently been profiled as visitors or even instructors at military academies or the Army War College.

I once helped James Sterrett do a presentation for officers at Origins, and he now does wargames at Fort Leavenworth.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Games Workshop finally realized it isn't 1997 anymore. They've announced that, starting in May, online shops will now be able to display pictures and descriptions of their products, and will be able to sell them via shopping carts. Until now, the only way to buy GW products on any site other than their own was to download a price list and telephone the retailer. What's next? Robot marriage?

Of course, they're still GW, and require that the minimum advertised price never be below 15% off standard retail (which drops them down to only one and a half times what comparable products cost, but hey.) Still, it's a step in the right direction. Then again, I don't know if their treatment of B&M retailers has improved, as they used to be draconian.

Now if we can just get them to stop rebooting their franchises every couple of years.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If it's working for Asmodee/Fantasy Flight, why not Games Workshop? Admodee has seemingly been effective at cutting off Amazon from selling their new games, forcing people to purchase from selected retailers at inflated prices (when you add shipping). It's crazy.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've got gamer's block. I had a bunch of in-progress games that I wanted to polish off an get off of my SSD. Icewind Dale and Fallout 4 are done, Witcher 3 remains. I'm plugging away, but I'm not entirely in the mood for fantasy right now due to a crazy five-week D&D prep crunch that has me a little burned out. I'm not hating Witcher 3, but I'm also not wanting to focus on just that one game. I need a side game.

...and gamer's block rears its ugly head. I'm not in gaming burnout, so I'm not needing a break, I just can't figure out what I'm in the mood to pursue. Saints Row IV or Uncharted 3 on the PS4 are tempting, but so is Arkham Origins in the PC. Then again, I just finished Fallout 4 and have The Witcher 3 in progress, so I'm not sure I want a long or open world game, as I'm likely to find myself feeling bogged down. Maybe something short, light, and fun, but without swords and magic?

I hate my brain sometimes.
hentzau

Post by hentzau »

I get it. My kids keep encouraging me to try the new Zelda, but I have 0 desire to start a new 60 hour game.

Now Stardew Valley? That I keep playing.
“We can never allow Murania to become desecrated by the presence of surface people. Our lives are serene, our minds are superior, our accomplishments greater. Gene Autry must be captured!!!” - Queen Tika, The Phantom Empire
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

So I guess recommending Magicka is right out.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, the couple who invited me to an all-expenses-paid trip to GenCon a few months ago have also invited me to an all-expenses-paid trip to Fear The Con 10 in Saint Louis in a couple of months.

Looks like I'm going to be in for a busy summer!

As an aside, FTC is a free con with no door fees or event fees. If you're in the SL area, you may want to take a look.

My Fear the Con schedule as it stands:
Spoiler:
Fear the Con 10

Drury Inn and Suites
8700 Eager Road
Brentwood, MO 63144US

World Wide Wing Night: Thu, Jun 22, 2017 6:00 PM - Thu, Jun 22, 2017 10:00 PM
World Wide Wing Night
Location TBD
In an effort to maintain a general headcount of those present, please sign up if you intend to attend W3N!

Slot 1: Fri, Jun 23, 2017 9:00 AM - Fri, Jun 23, 2017 1:00 PM
Masks: A Power by the Apocalypse Game
hosted by: Sgt Daniel Krenzke, USMC
Location TBD
My status: Seated
Since Joe Rossi is not here to run Monsterhearts I'll give a shot at running Masks, a game of teen-superhero angst. Laminated playbooks will be provided.

Slot 2: Fri, Jun 23, 2017 2:00 PM - Fri, Jun 23, 2017 6:00 PM
Saving the Great Detective - Universal Storytelling System
hosted by: Derek Knutsen
Location TBD
Taking from the different versions of Batman and Robin throughout the years and media, they all come together to solve a crime that could wipe them all out from existence. In a warehouse, a man in a suit with a black cape and mask lies face down in his own blood. Another man, dressed garishly in a brightly colored suit wearing a harlequin mask kneels by the body. He howls with laughter.

Slot 3: Fri, Jun 23, 2017 7:00 PM - Fri, Jun 23, 2017 11:00 PM
Darken Ship
hosted by: Tristan Zimmerman
Location TBD
Junior sailors aboard a U.S. warship awake to find they're alone on a ship that should carry 3,000. As they explore the dimly-lit passageways, they will uncover clues as to what’s going on, and may even save the ship. May.

Slot 4: Sat, Jun 24, 2017 9:00 AM - Sat, Jun 24, 2017 1:00 PM
Dreamchaser: A Game of Destiny
hosted by: Dreamchaser Pete
Location TBD
This is OUR story, a story of pursuing our dreams... Work together to imagine a purpose and the characters to fulfill it. Immerse yourself in the story YOU want to experience. Be rewarded for creativity and roleplaying. Just imagine all that we could achieve together! Great for first time players and veterans alike.

Slot 5: Sat, Jun 24, 2017 2:00 PM - Sat, Jun 24, 2017 6:00 PM
Shinobigami
hosted by: John Boulie
Location TBD
The Modern Ninja Drama Battle RPG!

Discover secrets, make allies, and betray them all in order to prevent the resurrection of the dreaded Shinobigami!

Slot 6: Sat, Jun 24, 2017 7:00 PM - Sat, Jun 24, 2017 11:00 PM
A Fiasco of Your Choosing
hosted by: Sgt Daniel Krenzke, USMC
Location TBD
Players will choose from several playsets at the table.

* This schedule was printed on 4/9/2017 11:45:27 AM Central Time. Data may have changed since printing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Looks like CMON is joining with Asmodee (and others) and instituting a pricing policy for their games:
Today, May 24, CMON, Inc. announced it has adopted a unilateral Minimum Advertised Pricing Policy (MAPP) that will go into effect on June 1, 2017. Along with the new policy, CMON has restructured its existing hobby distribution network in the U.S. effective immediately. By unilaterally imposing restrictions on minimum prices advertised by CMON’s new distribution network and retail partners, CMON products’ perceived value in the customers’ eyes will be enhanced, which is in the best interest of consumers and CMON’s partners.

The CMON MAPP will only apply to CMON branded products within the U.S., and products with a Minimum Advertised Price will appear on the current MAPP price list hosted on CMON.com. Adherence to the MAPP is non-negotiable for CMON product resellers, and will be strictly enforced by CMON to ensure the CMON brand maintains a high value in the consumer mindshare.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

"To see the price of this item, add it to your cart".

:roll:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

After seeing their games on Amazon for less than 50% of what the KS prices were, I more or less assumed this was going to happen.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

On one hand, I'm annoyed because I love getting things cheaper. On the other, this can only help the FLGS' out there. Our local game store is run by two of the nicest guys around, and I always feel a little twinge of guilt when I order a game online that I know they have in stock.
Covfefe!
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I don't suffer from that, as the nearest FLGS is anything but L. Think a hundred mile round trip over country roads, or 200 if I want highways. Online retailers are my only option for buying games, so when they go up in arms against online retailers, I end up on the losing side. I know publishers hate online, but some of us only have online.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

GameStop is apparently going to start selling board and card games now:
As seen on the GameStop website, board and card games like POOP In A Bag are now listed as being available starting June 2. iDigitalTimes reached out to POOP creator Blaise Sewell to ask about his game coming to GameStop. "Retail stores like GameStop are smart to adapt to where the market is and recognize how big tabletop gaming has become,” he said.

Sewell feels his and other party games are to thank for the renewed interest in tabletop gaming. "This era of "party games" really kicked off with Cards Against Humanity and as more people play casual games like POOP and Billionaire Banshee they're opening the door to a whole world of more complex games too,” he said. “People want human interaction and in a world full of screens and devices, tabletop games are here to the rescue."
I wonder if they'll be buying used board and games for $2 as well?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Trying to set up a Mumble server to talk with my kids over the LAN while we game.

What does every #()$&# application assume that you are an IT pro? After an hour, I still haven't got the faintest idea what I'm supposed to be doing. What is wrong with a menu option that says, "Start LAN server"?
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I gave up and just used Discord. It isn't going to be as low-latency as Mumble (which can be entirely local - Discord routes through the internet), but all I had to do was set up free accounts, add the kids as friends, and click start. There was no pages-long 'getting started' document full of networking protocols and command line silliness.

I get that some people with professional networking experience want that kind of control, but it needs to be user-friendly with the gritty control under the hood.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We use TeamSpeak at LAN parties and I find it to be easy to use. Probably doesn't help you now, but maybe in the future.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Every summer I look at my board gaming collection and purge a whole bunch, swearing I'll do better in the next year...only to find myself every June looking at a pile of games I need to get rid of. Here's hoping 2018 is better...
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

GameStop To Pivot Towards Board Games

(They claim B&N introduced boardgames a year ago, but I know I've bought board games from B&N stores maybe as far back as 5-10 years ago from them, including one or two exclusives like "Party Playoff")
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What? When I said it last Friday (a few posts up) it wasn't news? :wink:
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I have been doing pretty good this year. Partially because many of my late Kickstarters are arriving, and I still have games from last summer to get on the table. Plus, I've realized many games I want are conquest/control oriented with an economic or diplomatic mechanic. I have those games unplayed -- like Scythe and Cyclades -- because explaining them is a drag and few will like them as much as I do. Do I need Terraforming Mars or Inis? Maybe, but not right now before I've played them.

The family is traveling a lot this summer, so I may get my chance to catch up.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I have only backed/bought two games this year and the only risk I am taking is Gloomhaven. Powerships is the other one and that is using the system from my favorite racing game (Powerboats). If Gloomhaven doesn't work for me I doubt I will have any trouble unloading it.

My restraint is assisted by the fact I never play any board games.

I need to get back to Mechs vs Minions to finish the campaign so I can sell that at BGGCON.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm sure this is going to work out awesome for fans of Asmodee published games:
Asmodee North America, which handles North American business operations for Fantasy Flight Games, Days of Wonder, Asmodee, Z-Man Games, Plaid Hat Games, and Catan Studio, has signed an exclusive multi-year hobby channel distribution agreement with Alliance Game Distributors, effective August 1, 2017. As a result of the change, ANA will no longer sell its lines (except for Catan, which was already exclusive with Alliance) to the rest of its hobby distribution roster, ACD Distribution, GTS Distribution, PHD Distribution, and Southern Hobby Supply, after that date.
:ninja:
Last edited by Smoove_B on Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Smoove_B wrote:I'm sure this is going to work out awesome for fans of Asmodee published games:
Oh you son of a b@%$^, you tricked me into hygiene!
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Huh. Well, that's good. I'll...go back and fix that. :D
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

You'll not get me twice. For all I know, that link leads to information on soap use. :snooty:
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Think of it then as GenCon preparation.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Whoa...Seafall is on sale for 25 bucks on Coolstuff. Is it worth it for even that price?
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Small Box Games is giving away free copies of their excellent game Omen in a drawing. To enter, you have to repost an image on social media. details here.
Covfefe!